[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
your strongest genre
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 6
File: 1458707816734.jpg (87 KB, 770x1027) Image search: [Google]
1458707816734.jpg
87 KB, 770x1027
everyone likes different genres but what would you consider your strongest genre? (your favorite or the one you have more knowledge of)
>>
>>64617090
How does he do that?
>>
>>64617101
he doesnt...
>>
90s post-hardcore is probably the genre I know most well, when then my knowledge isn't that crazy. Enough to give my friends endless recommendations though.
>>
>>64617101
How does he do what?
>>
moderate rock
>>
I'd like to think I'm somewhat knowledgeable on 90s post-rock
>>
Bluegrass, definitely.
>>
easily hiphop. for a subgenre, probably cloud rap or boom bap
>>
>>64617151
the knife man. That looks more painful than watching his interviews
>>
I know a bunch of obscure berlin school/progressive electronics artists no one cares about
>>
I'm not really super versed on any particular genre I just kind of know a moderate amount about most genres. If I had to pick maybe punk, if that's not too broad.
>>
>>64617195
You know what's more painful?
Listening to math rock and anything Albini has ever produced.
>>
>>64617212
i would like if you shared some with me and flexed your knowledge on the subject
>>
>>64617167
Please give me recommendations
>>
>>64617279
sure thing dude, what have you heard so far?
>>
>>64617147
give me bro.
>>
>>64617178
Yeah probably bluegrass for me too. One of the only genres I have a significant amount of not only albums, but shows as well. I have something like 50 recordings of bluegrass shows. Trumped only by my amount of Phish shows, but they're not a genre
>>
>>64617264
:( those are things i greatly enjoy
>>
Post-hardcore
>>
>>64617340
give me bro
>>
>>64617308
Jawbox
Fugazi
Unwound
Husker du

I've been meaning to get into more
>>
>>64617327
yeah, tell me about it. I've been going to festivals many times a year since I was a kid. I have two shelves of vinyls dedicated to just bluegrass. I'm always pretty happy to see fellow bluegrass folks on /mu/.
>>
>>64617442
ah, you responded to the wrong guy dude, I think you meant to ask this guy>>64617147
>>
Mainly pitchforkcore. I don't know shit about any specific sub-genre but I know most popular indie acts and people always seem amazed about my knowledge of music.
>>
>>64617147
more like Unwound (both early and late) and June Of 44?
>>
File: folder.jpg (488 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
488 KB, 600x600
>>64617448
>>64617327
what are some essential bluegrass recordings?
I only have this one
>>
prog rock, then again i mainly just know surface level stuff for multiple genres from the late 60s and 70s and then again in the 90s
>>
>>64617325
If you want basics you'd want to listen Shellac, Fugazi, Unwound, Drive Like Jehu, Sliny but some great deeper stuff would be Clikitat Ikatowi Orchestrated and Conducted, their live album, River Of Souls EP by and for more solid stuff in the same emo/screamo vein anything on Gravity Records, like Heroin self titled. Rodan is a great Louisville band that's kind of lost, also June of 44 for more like that.
>>
>>64617278
For the first wave, listen to all works by all people who ever worked with Tangerine Dream until 87... Underwater Sunlight was their last good album
Then you listen to anything with Mario Shonwalder, Mark Shreeve, Ian Boddy and whoever was in Redshift, the 90s saw a nice revolution on the style
Stuff in Manikin Records, especially the Analog Overdose series is usually good
Radio Massacre International, Arc, Thomas Fanger, Pete Namlook, etc etc
Check out this list
https://rateyourmusic.com/list/Tropylium/berlin_school_and_related_artists__3rd_generation/
and this list too
https://rateyourmusic.com/list/Tropylium/tangerine_tree/
I don't drone this guy tho I just like the lists
Big genre, too bad only old people make music like that anymore
>>
I'm not sure, I know quite a bit about progressive rock even though it's not my "favorite genre" but if I were to speak on it I'd probably know the most about that. Art rock might tie into that too, actually.
>>
File: god_hates_gaze.jpg (22 KB, 250x350) Image search: [Google]
god_hates_gaze.jpg
22 KB, 250x350
I've been listening to all the shoegaze I can get my hands on since the start of the year, feel like I'm getting to the point where I know a little bit.
>>
>>64617526
thank you friend
>>
>>64617090
In terms of my most listened to and most knowlegable, it'd probably be [spoiler]Phish[/spoiler]

But as for genres, either stoner/doom metal or 70's prog

It's really more individual bands where I become really knowledgable, rather than specific genres
>>
File: cover.jpg (12 KB, 300x297) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
12 KB, 300x297
>>64617569
you should check out this album
>>
90's Indie Rock.
Pavement, MM, Built to Spill, Sebadoh...
>>
>>64617514
there's a long list, but anything by Bill Monroe, Flatt and Scruggs, or the Stanley Brothers is basically required listening. if you want something traditional enough but more accessible, try the Bluegrass Album Band. if you need something attractive to a casual listener, try crooked still. I find that bluegrass is not exceptionally album based as much as artist based because it was built more around touring bands, festivals, and jam circles than album sales.
>>
>>64617090
Shoegaze and IDM (by IDM i mean, Aphex and his buddies, his influences and theirs)
>>
>>64617090
Noise rock
>>
>>64617512
For early unwound sounding stuff explore gravity records' catalog.
June of 44, Rodan, same scene and band member.

Also almost unrelated but I love to shill the album when I can, Heroin Man by Cherubs. It's sludgy noise rock post-hardcore, I adore it. Their comeback album and EP from this year are pretty good too. I hope they tour soon

>tfw typing on shitty touchscreen so everything is slow and I don't have my music in front of me
>>
>>64617593
I'll put it on my list. What do you like about it?
>>
>>64617569
HOT TIP: Japs do it too and it's nice, check out Bertoia.
>>
Post-punk and goth.
>>
Post Rock
>>
>>64617648
it takes the elements of my bloody valentine that I like (thick layers of noise) and mixes it with the elements of sonic youth that I like (noisy but melodic guitars) to make something that I end up liking more than anything by either band
>>
>>64617632
Thanks for the rec dude, I've already heard Rusty as well as a fair amount of the stuff they made as Rachel's (which barely has anything to do with post-hardcore anyway), but the other stuff sounds good.

Will check out the Cherubs album and further explore Gravity Records' catalog.
>>
>>64617707
Sounds quite nice, looking forward to this.

>>64617670
I looked into some of the jap stuff, not Bertoia specifically though so I'll have to give them a listen as well.
>>
Punk

If we are going deeper then Hardcore
>>
>>64617739
Here's a sample for you

Mob - Loved
https://clyp.it/rx2l3zhc
>>
>>64617738
Yeah Gravity is a goldmine, there's so much great forgotten stuff from that label particularly.
>>
>>64617525
thanks
>>
Definitely industrial
>>
probably punk rock and punk rock subgenres
>>
Alt-rock or something like that, probably.
>>
>>64617806
>>
female-fronted folk and art pop
>>
>>64618032
I like this art better, someone needs to do it for that gay ass Hospice album.
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.