[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is "Dad Rock"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: wilco.jpg (12 KB, 276x182) Image search: [Google]
wilco.jpg
12 KB, 276x182
I've heard two people use this term now but google doesn't yield much. My friend called WIlco "dad rock". What defines the genre? What are some examples of bands that fall under this category?
>>
Last night, my dad called Wilco dad rock
>>
>>64614884
Dadrock is music from pre-1990s that wrong generation faggots listen to and use to "prove" that older music is better than newer music.
Wilco cannot be Dadrock because it was in the 90's-2000's
>>
>>64614884
By definition- Dadrock is popular rock from the 60s, 70s, and 80s that is not edgy and displays no tendancies of musical evolution. BUT in it's day, it was far out.

>Dadrock
The Rolling Stones
Journey
Led Zeppelin
Crosby Stills and Nash
The Eagles
ELO
BTO
BOC
Steve Miller
REO Speedwagen
Foreigner
Survivor
Styx

>Not dadrock
The Beatles
Pink Floyd
Alice Cooper
Black Sabbath
Big Star
Ramones
Sex Pistols
Cheap Trick
REM
Talking Heads
The Cure
New Order
The Replacements
>>
>>64614884
Dad Rock is the rock that normies of previous generations liked, which is why now so many people's dad's are said to like it--because most people's dad's are normies.

That's why Pink Floyd is called Dad Rock and something like Gong or even King Crimson usually isn't

[spoiler]That said Dad Rock isn't necessarily bad, it's just what was popular and continues to be popular for many. Just because something's popular doesn't mean it's bad[/spoiler]
>>
Dadrock is old 60/70/80's music that only appeals to dad's and comes off as embarrassing to younger music listeners.
>>
File: image.jpg (35 KB, 482x362) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
35 KB, 482x362
>>64614884
They all look like great dads.

I want Jeff to be my dad.
>>
>>64615118
This is a massively faggy answer
>>
>>64615118
I agree but I find it funny because my dad listens to most of the non dad rock stuff so ultimately I just see it as dad music.
>>
>>64615118
Is Tom Petty dad rock?
>>
>>64615263
Please provide a better answer other than "dadrock is not a thing"
>>
>>64614884
My dad is a Gen X'er and listens to stuff like Pixies, Nirvana and Pearl Jam. I kind of consider that dadrock.
>>
>>64615577
He is on the fence. There are a lot of on the fence artists like

The Who
Emerson Lake and Palmer
Paul McCartney (& Wings)
Badfinger
Neil Young
David Bowie
Judas Priest
The Clash
Blondie
Elvis Costello
The Police
The Cars
Van Halen
The Knack
The Psychedelic Furs
INXS
>>
In my interpretation (lel) Dad rock is not necessarily seen as inferior music or not deserving of their popularity and/or legend-status, but rather an encompassing term for a lot of older music (60's to 80's) that is used to debunk and argue against millennials and younger who have read the Rolling Stones top 100 albums of all time list, and then think that music nowadays stinks, while it's just mostly them being inexperienced with the modern music scene.
>>
>tfw get accused of being a le wrong generation faggot because my favourite bands are all from the 70s, 80s and 90s

My favourite genre is rock. It's not my fault all the best bands of the genre came from those decades. I've tried bands from the 2000s and 2010s but they honestly just bore me.
>>
Dadrock just refers to mediocre FM radio shit from the 70s like Bob Seger, Eagles, and REO Speedwagon that middle aged men listen to while washing their car.
>>
>>64615118
>forgetting Dire Straits
>forgetting the king of Dadrock, Bruce Springsteen
>>
>>64615118
The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, and CSN(Y) are all great bands dude and are still awesome today. Move them around with Cheap Trick and you're spot on.

Also, for dadrock, you forgot

>KISS
>Eric Clapton
>Aerosmith
>AC/DC
>The Police
>Billy Joel
>Boston
>ZZ Top
>The Doobie Brothers
>Motley Crue
>Grand Funk Railroad
>Kansas
>Def Leppard
>James Taylor
>John Mellencamp
>George Thorogood & The Destroyers
>>
>>64617056
>ZZ Top
Speaking of, I've noticed this one radio station from Toronto that plays what I'd call old man music. It's all rock but it's like old men growling and all I think is like its what people who are going through their midlife crisis listen to.

Like that song about heads that are heavy from wearing crowns
>>
>>64617056
>The Police

except they're actually good
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.