[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This is better than anything Death Grips has ever done. Discuss.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5
File: a0495765240_10.jpg (212 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
a0495765240_10.jpg
212 KB, 900x900
This is better than anything Death Grips has ever done. Discuss.
>>
nah, the flow, lyricism, tone, and vibe are all really contrived, dumb and annoying.
>>
The first album, maybe.
>>
>>64614660
that is the most baseless criticism i have ever heard

the death grips trio needs to be tortured. all they do is pander to reddit sensibilities, they are intrinsically inauthentic and they need to pay for the memes they have spawned
>>
>>64614715
*tumblr sensibilities

and who gives a shit

Is authenticity really a necessity for music to be "good?" Even if it is, I think clipping. comes across as even more inauthentic. I like that Death Grips' whole thing is aggressive meditation on release from rational thought. It's an interesting concept that has legs sonically, artistically, and presentation-wise.
>>
>>64614912
>>64614715
You're trying too hard man
>>
>>64615243
and youre a fucking fag

GET OUT FAG
>>
File: 13375.jpg (118 KB, 960x640) Image search: [Google]
13375.jpg
118 KB, 960x640
lol
>>
>>64614596
clipping is okay at best
>>
>>64614596
the definition of 6/10
>>
>>64614912
Authenticity is not an actual quality of sound. Rockism is belief that some music is intrinsically more "authentic" than other music. This type of reasoning arises from a lack of descriptive language.
>>
>>64615433
>Authenticity is not an actual quality of sound.

[citation needed]
>>
Nah, they aren't even comparable. Death Grips and Clipping each have their own unique sounds. Clipping is straight up noise rap, and that's pretty much it.
Death Grips has done many different things and has consistently released high quality projects yearly since 2011.
>>
>>64615460
There are six basic properties of sound:
Frequency/Pitch
Amplitude/Loudness
Spectrum/Timbre
Duration
Envelope
Authenticity is not a property of sound, which is what I meant to say, rather than quality.
>>
>>64615550
that isn't a citation, friend
>>
>>64615586
Citations are for paedophiles.
>>
Garbage lyrics

twerktwerktwerk
twerktwerktwerk
twerktwerktwerk
twerktwerktwerk
>>
Death Grips have better songwriting and are fun to listen to.

Clipping lacks any truly memorable hooks.

Also, the stretch of Tonight, Get Up and Or Die on clppng contains some of the most grating and irritating songwriting I've ever heard.

I get that Tonight is supposed to be a tongue-in-cheek approach to modern popular club bangers or whatever, but they sacrificed any chance at a decent song for some paper thin critique of pop music that isn't very clever. I get the joke, it's just not funny. And fuck that shitty alarm clock sample it's terrible and I hate it.
>>
Tonight
>>
>>64615279
You're a bigger fag
>>
File: 1449104355325.jpg (23 KB, 500x350) Image search: [Google]
1449104355325.jpg
23 KB, 500x350
>>64614715
>complains about baseless criticism
>"all they do is pander to reddit sensibilities"
>>
>>64616002
>It's a "Get Up isn't a good song" episode
>>
Death Grips is satire,
Clppng is homage,
and not an homage to Death Grips.
>>
>>64615715
lol you'd hate "Outro" from Midcity.
>>
>>64614715
weow lad
>>
IT'S THE LAST CALL OF THE NIIIIIGHT
>>
>>64614596
death grips' for theatre fags who like hamilton.

they suck dude.
>>
>>64615433
this is really a good post. but i'm not sure that a musical positivism is the way to go (like the mind can just appreciate music as it really is (the quality of the sound), or if that is even a plausible or desirable criterion for good music or good taste).

i don't think you can disentangle the art from its context. if this a weak version of the 'rockism' thesis, so be it. when i listen to clipping, its seems to be an exercise of style or technique or mode, and less an expression of something 'True'. it appears intellectual to a fault, like they are acting as if (they were these guys), whereas death grips is striking, imho, in its atavism. the music is primal and ugly and wedded and spit through this tinny, unholy, mechanization. clipping seems like commentary on the surface, where death grips seems like an organic outgrowth of the world.

im not sure you can reduce those statements to a series of propositions about how the sound 'is'. but i don't think that makes them less accurate.
>>
>>64614596
the intro goes hard
>>
File: stefan.jpg (29 KB, 400x441) Image search: [Google]
stefan.jpg
29 KB, 400x441
>>64617478
>>64616002
>>64615371
>>64615322
>if clipping had a screaming nigger you'd all love it
>>
clipping is great. they don't really sound like death grips at all. death grips are in a league of their own, but the comparison is a bad idea from the get go.

also hamilton is amazing fuck yall and yer paper thin masculinity.
>>
Midcity is great but clppng was horribly inconsistent

Story 2 is unironically one of the best songs of all time though
>>
>>64619676
no i wouldn't
>>
>>64616039
this is true
any criticism founded on the assumptions of principles, aesthetics, or other qualities presumed upon others it baseless

this is as stupid as crying about bourgeosis sensibilities, or the ideation that the poor cannot have good taste

attack by comparison, attack by a pattern without the content, attack by appeal to quality are all fine stick to those ( the new album is similar to 'a', uses 'x' too often, contrast 'y' and 'z' entirely 'w' with no 'b'. )

I honestly don't like death grips much at all, and i don't find them emotive in the slightest ( except for Zac sometimes ).

The fact that people are enthralled by what amounts to the music to the music we listened to before drawing cave art is kind of embarrassing (yelling memes and drums), but that they believe it is artistically empowered is pretty fair. Good art doesn't necessite complexity.
>>
>>64619759
>enjoys middle brow school house rock for 'adults'
>projects fear of emasculation onto faceless interlocutor on the internet

okay famalam
>>
>>64617991
>bots on twitter provide more engaging content
Stop fucking your brain up with memes; a trig should be evidence of your self-control.
>>
>>64619676
So, you don't understand the difference between death grips and clipping? Why even comment in this thread?
>>
and ethanol tastes better than gasoline
>>
>>64615508
high quality he reckons
>>
>>64614596
Everyone in this thread has been trolled. It's like listening to weird al seriously.
>>
File: index.jpg (1018 B, 40x40) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
1018 B, 40x40
>>64614715
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.