[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does music advance?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
File: wynton_marsalis.jpg (24 KB, 340x521) Image search: [Google]
wynton_marsalis.jpg
24 KB, 340x521
I just watched a Q&A with Wynton Marsalis where he claimed that music doesn't "advance". This was in response to a kid who asked how he felt about the future of jazz and how to balance traditionalism with the advancement of the genre (fantastic question in my opinion).

He gave this really vague answer about how Bach and Louis Armstrong both share the same creativity or something, then said that we should disrespect our ancestors.

I feel like he totally missed the point of the question, which was clearly directed at the stagnation of the genre in recent years and it's return to traditionalism instead of pushing boundaries. Plus he's missing the point that the music he loves wouldn't exist without pushing boundaries.

Anyway, bringing this into a broader spectrum, do you think music can be "advanced"?
>>
File: folder.jpg (385 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
385 KB, 1000x1000
It does push boundaries still, you just need to embrace modern technology.

Adapt or die as the cockroach said to the dinosaurs.
>>
Shouldn't* disrespect our ancestors

oops
>>
Wynton Marsalis is full of shit. This has been known forever. His entire career is based off of being le jazz defener
>>
>>64598054
but there are clear harmonic and stylistic advancements even beyond technology.

but i guess marsalis' entire career is based on rehashing old jazz ideas. i just think if you asked davis or coltrane this question you'd get an entirely different answer
>>
>>64598066
what's wrong with defending jazz?
>>
Honestly, where else can music go?
Then end of music is just computers making bleep bloops.
I guess nothing left to do but turn your fav genre into a refined art
>>
File: wynton_noticel.jpg (113 KB, 1200x675) Image search: [Google]
wynton_noticel.jpg
113 KB, 1200x675
I can see his point. All this new technology, advancements ...The future is here and what do we have to show for it? Where are all the new genres, new instruments, new mind-bending ideas? Are they being born out of all of these forays into experimental jazz? Could they?

He pre-supposed that those routes led to nowhere and with every year that passes, with no new musical saviors, no evolution or revolution of sound, his point remains. This decade and the last decade have no definitive sound.

There was a documentary on CNN titled "The '90's: The Last Great Decade." Certainly the '90's was the last era that had it's own sounds. Everything since the has been Synthetic. That's been the prevailing aesthetic permeating every corner of the musicsphere and it's getting tiring.

It's no wonder then that people are retreating to the old, the analog, the real with the cassette and vinyl craze and the continued marketability of Country and the autotune-free singing competitions.
>>
>>64598216
>>64598242
>le electronic music is not real music xD
>>
>>64598034
People making jazz have no interest in making modern music. Which is a shame, because even somethng as traditional as ballet has many people that want to advance and innovate it, at all levels.
>>
>>64598242
>synthetic

what are you even talking about? there's so much great music constantly being made.

also, if there's nowhere else to go (there always is), just mash two things you like together
>>
>>64598316
yes but is that advancement? mashing two things together is more of a lateral move. true advancement might be developing a hearing device that would enable humans to enjoy music being composed at different frequencies or that would allow us to truly experience micro-tonal music in a vr type environment. it's not happening. it's not being funded by anyone. oh but we have enough bombs to destroy the planet several times over.

>>64598255
it's legit music it's just not advancing.
>>
>>64598411
>it's legit music it's just not advancing.

Yes it is. The computer is an advancement on the biro, the biro on the quill and parchment.
>>
>>64598411
nah that's not what we're talking about lol.

for instance, that's how jazz was created. mashing up of blues/african spirituals with classical/popular music
>>
I think something radical needs to happen for music to change.
Music is super stagnate and unwilling to change right now because music companies are scared of losing money in an era when its impossible to make money off of music.

So then you get bland top 40 pop music pushed as revolutionary (see beyonce, taylor swift. etc)

Something really radical needs to happen like taylor swift starts doing death metal death growls.
Just something that fucks the system

Thanks to poptmism we no longer advance, we just embrace mediocrity.
>>
>>64598483
Why do yanks write off all the amazing advancements in the plethora of electronic music styles as EDM and ignore it all?
>>
Well... All truely great music is the face of god, which is said to be eternal. What he means is just that, 'advance', or not, is not a question applicable to 'truely great music'. Said, 'great Music' neither dates itself, or doesn't, it remains a reflection of the universe as seen by the imagination, and thus can be said to be 'loose from all time'/'set in 'dreamtime''~the like ideas.
That is also why, of 'greatmusic', you never say it is of a certain genre, or depicts its times solely.
[~~~also there's, schopenhauer's view of music as the activities of the all-will of the universe, represented through an artform]
>>
Kekking at all these people blind to interesting new music. Stay pleb guys, stay pleb.
>>
any recommendations of some fresh jazz artists?
>>
>>64598411
>true advancement might be developing a hearing device that would enable humans to enjoy music being composed at different frequencies or that would allow us to truly experience micro-tonal music in a vr type environment. it's not happening. it's not being funded by anyone. oh but we have enough bombs to destroy the planet several times over

Kek why would the government fund microtonal VR?
>>
>>64598034
Sure, but the word "advancement" can carry the connotation of improvement, which obviously doesn't hold and might be what Marsalis was objecting to. But things can advance in art the way anything can change over time.
>>
>>64601299
why doesn't it hold? you don't think there have been harmonic and songwriting improvements since the middle ages?

we've had all this music to build upon, it's not ridiculous to think that we've made it better
>>
>>64599706
This

>>64600851
Steve Lehman
Craig Taborn
Ibrahim Maalouf
David Virelles
Henry Threadgill
>>
>>64598091
defening, not defending.
>>
>>64598242
I doubt Wynton even tried to search. His sense of curiosity seems to be corrupted by egoism.
>>
>>64599706
Give me some good new stuff to listen to
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.