[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was Radiohead going electronic one of the most important moments
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 5
File: radiohead.jpg (69 KB, 1080x867) Image search: [Google]
radiohead.jpg
69 KB, 1080x867
Was Radiohead going electronic one of the most important moments in the history of rock music? It was basically one of the biggest rock bands in the world at that time literally putting guitars in the back seat and embracing the flowering electronic music scene with open arms. If anything, it showed that Thom Yorke knew that electronics were the way of the future and jumped on it when the rest of the rock scene was still preoccupied with post-grunge buttrock.
>>
>>64596842
it was just them doing their Achtung Baby no beeg deel
>>
>>64596842
England as usual was at the forefront of music and electronic music had taken over, it was obvious that it was time to ditch the guitars.
>>
>>64596842
Didn't U2 already do that like 10 years before?
>>
More importantly why did they choose sam smith over them for the fucking james bond theme jesus christ. Spectre is miles better than that shit Sam Smith song
>>
>>64596882
Because Sam Smith is popular and relevant and Radiohead a lot less so
>>
>>64596882
I really wasn't a big fan of Spectre, honestly. It's like a lesser Pyramid Song.
>>
>>64596869
England's electronic music has been kicking everything's ass since at least '92 if not since '88
>>
Anyone who still listened to geetah music after The Prodigy Experience and Aphex Twin Ambient Works was certified pleb as fuck.
>>
>>64596914
Pyramid Song is shit m8
>>
>>64596932
Exactly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWsqF5ZGw5Q
>>
>>64596914
>>64596936
Two garbage opinions, for the price of one!
>>
>>64596842
Spiritualized (and literally any group from the 90s that incorporated electronic elements into their music that wasn't popular) did it better though.

Radiohead gets the credit because they were popular and nobody expected the band that made Creep to make an artsy, experimental pop album.
>>
>>64596948
its funny how yanks are just catching up now and making the most fucking awful electronic music too
>>
>>64596842
>Was Radiohead going electronic one of the most important moments in the history of rock music
Not really, it'll be remembered as much as dylan going electric, which was the same type of marketing tool used to create buzz and album sales.
>>
>>64596873
This.
>>
>>64596842
Thom realised Aphex Twin was a better musician so decided to copy him.
>>
>Was Radiohead going electronic one of the most important moments in the history of rock music? It was basically one of the biggest rock bands in the world at that time literally putting guitars in the back seat and embracing the flowering electronic music scene with open arms.
Uh......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHKMoLY5ueY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzvL9p4AaTo

Also this sounds a helluva lot like Kid A era Radiohead:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq8gH4us23g
>>
>>64596975
b-but my belleview 3 and chicago house!!!(nevermind that hardly anyone in america valued them at the time and the discrimination against those artists was an impetus for those genres being created)
>>
>>64596974
That's what I'm talking about. The quality isn't up for debate, it's the precedent it set in the mainstream.
>>
>>64597012
Maybe if they weren't a bunch of racist homophobes at the time they could have actually stayed at the forefront and cutting edge of dance music instead of shunning it for 25 years then coming back with Skrillex and DJ Bl3nd lmao
>>
>>64596977
>which was the same type of marketing tool used to create buzz and album sales

[citation needed]
>>
>>64597038
white America is a musical wasteland, without slavery they'd have zero relevance in music at all
>>
>>64597006
He didn't say they were the first
>>
>>64597004
I know Thom was inspired by him and all, but apart from the melody on Kid A, I really can't hear any similarities. The drums especially are completely different - not to mention that quite a few songs aren't even "electronic."

if anything i hear more first-wave post-rock in Kid A's sound, as those bands were already fusing rock music with jazz and electronic elements.
>>
File: 1451177689898.png (237 KB, 461x468) Image search: [Google]
1451177689898.png
237 KB, 461x468
So when exactly did popular opinion on Radiohead turn negative here?

>inb4 burn the witch
>>
>>64597083
You don't understand, OP. When you don't like a band on /mu/ accountability for your words doesn't exist.
>>
>>64597038
yep. i was rewatching universal techno the other day and it's just so depressing that you have all these innovative dudes saying that most people in the us could not give a fuck about them, especially the guys out of detroit.
>>
>>64597120
Meant to say anon, not OP
>>
>>64597073
I don't see how it's any more significant than when U2, who were arguably much bigger than Radiohead, did it first without any sort of precedent.
>>
>>64597096
Welcome to neo-/mu/ friend
>>
>>64597058
its called critical thinking, you should try it sometime
>>
>>64597096
its cause radiohead fanbois have been over rating them for over a decade, and there's finally backlash against them. they've had some memorable moments but they're utterly average now.
>>
not really, the highest I would rate a RH album is 9.0 (amnesiac)

don't know why people fap over OKC and Kid A
>>
>>64597225
you sort of have to look at the context. at the time there was a bit of a backlash against U2 as rattle & hum wasn't exactly well-received and many people thought that their time had passed on - that they'd never be as relevant as their joshua tree years. in that way, total reinvention and changing tactics made sense and most people welcomed it.

with radiohead, both the bends and ok computer were extremely critically acclaimed with the latter being declared an instant classic. it made sense for them to continue on that guitar rock trajectory but they totally veered of course and that stunned people.
>>
>>64597267
>an artist can't possibly make a decision based on his artistry, it has to be about the money and anyone who believes otherwise is just not on my level of understanding

>

>critical thinking
>>
File: thom.jpg (57 KB, 600x420) Image search: [Google]
thom.jpg
57 KB, 600x420
Radiohead is the most important rock band to come after nirvana.
They have kept themselves popular and interesting in an era where the mainstream fucking hates rock music.
They even spawned multiple clones like muse who was radiohaed fur dummies and coldplay who was radiohead for top 40.

I dont think going bleep bloop changed much, rock bands before them have gone bleep bloop since the 80's.

and the first think they did after kid A and amnesiac was make hail to the thief which is a straight up rock record and probably one of the only mainstream political records of the bush era besides year zero by nine inch nails
>>
>>64596974
nah you're a fuckin idiot
>>
>>64597062

true, but i dont think anyone can even begin to argue otherwise.
>>
>>64597423
oh heck i've been owned
>>
>>64597548
>samefagging to your own troll because no one responded

pathetic
>>
It wasn't so much that they started making electronic music - tons of bands in the 90s were incorporating electronic stuff into their music after the popularity of Aphex Twin and DJ Shadow, it even bled into pop music a bit - it was the fact that Radiohead completely abandoned the concept of a rock band altogether and made a record that sounded like a singular entity, as opposed to a band where you could identify what each member was doing on a song. Plus there weren't any singles, so it was a total shock to critics and listeners alike. After the critical success of OK Computer everyone was ready to make them the darlings of rock music, and they completely rejected that in favor of doing their own shit. And it WORKED - it's not like they made their Metal Machine Music just to piss people off.

It was a reminder that artistic ambition should never be sacrificed for the press and the money, especially at a time when it was starting to become apparent that the music industry would lose $$$ to downloaders on the internet.
>>
>>64596974
Kid A doesn't sound much like Spiritualized thphwy
>>
MTV brit pop hacks turned experimentalist by ripping off Authecre
>>
>>64597734
This is more ridiculous that the Aphex claim.
>>
>>64597225
I know everybody hates U2 these days, but for me one of the big musical disappointments was when they went back to conventional big-chorus pop rock. They'd really tried to be interesting for a while, and ended up just waving a white flag.
>>
>>64596934
your a dorable
>>
>>64596842
>EDM
>Synth
>Way of the future
Kill me
>>
>>64597862
you're like those really old people who moaned when rock took over

>muh big band music
>>
Lol, stupid yank, rock bands have been using electronic music since 5ever
I suggest you watch a movie called 24 hour party people

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmyOIbeDTbk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2PYyvGFHD8
>>
>>64597897
the synthesizer was invented in 1900.
electronic music is literally older than rock
>>
In the 90's blending electronica/beats and rock was the norm even for the most popular acts as U2.
Now I don't mean Radiohead are shit, but it's ridiculous how some (30-40 years old) people pretend to discuss them
as they were one of the highest cultural phenomenon of all times.
>>
>>64596842

Smashing Pumpkins did it first
>>
>>64596842
Why is this so good bros
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5E9e11ZtSS0
>>
File: 1423588047945.jpg (70 KB, 820x735) Image search: [Google]
1423588047945.jpg
70 KB, 820x735
>>64598049
Happy Mondays were doing the whole rock / electronic / dance crossover a decade earlier.

dumb radiopleb fans
>>
>>64599339
That picture is pretty silly.
>>
>>64596882
Yeah but Spectre the movie was ass so who cares?
>>
>>64597282
did you read what you typed before you posted it? christ you're the fucking pied piper of shit opinions
>>
>>64596842
Smashing Pumpkins did it first it was shit but they did it first.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.