[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people hate "crescendocore" but praise this album?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 1
File: tbk.jpg (25 KB, 658x658) Image search: [Google]
tbk.jpg
25 KB, 658x658
This album is practically crescendocore but nobody fucking complains about it. Godspeed gets so much shit for using crescendos while everyone praises TBK. But don't get me wrong, I love the shit out of Godspeed and Swans too.
>>
>>64596416
Because most people on /mu/ are basically broken records and have little skill in analyzing music for themselves and instead just spew out the same shit everyone else is saying.
>>
It's not really that crescendocorey though. Swans dynamic shifts tend to be much more sudden than something like Godspeed. They're much less concerned with building an atmosphere through rising sound and whatnot.
>>
>>64596416
GYBE don't get shit for using crescendos. No one does

EITS, GIAA, MONO and TWDY are the ones getting shit, and it's for blatantly being uninspired ripoffs of GYBE and
Mogwai.

Neither Swans nor GYBE are cresendocore by the way.
>>
kek do people really talk about godspeed when they mean crescendocore? i think it refers to explosions in the sky ripoffs like this will destroy you, or stuff like that sigur ros album with the naked people running, just uninspired and derivative.. using crescendos as a crutch instead of producing real emotion.

There's a lot you can say about post rock Swans but uninspired and derivative is not one of them
>>
Swans are settlers of catan, fedoras, vinyl, vaping, anime, and craft beer rolled into one. PLz stop it with swans.
>>
>>64596472
My sentiments exactly. If cresendos = crescendocore then fucking Slint and Talk Talk would be crescensodocore.

>>64596482
First reply
>>
>>64596456
eits was at least original with their crescendocority. they were the first to do that simple acoustic guitar and drums instrumental crescedocore. sure its derivative of godspeed mogwai and hex, but its not a carbon copy; the oter bands you listed are more or less carbon copies of eits
>>
>>64596482
If you trip just be sure you do t just say the things that you think people want to hear
Because odds are the things you think people want to hear is absolute horsecrap
>>
>>64596509
EITS blatantly stole from Slow Riot (no, not LYSF, because that actually came out after EITS' debut), and then added all sorts of gimmickry to their sound to try and cover up their tracks. Obviously based on the general consensus of them it seems like they failed hide it from a fair number of people
>>
>>64596456
Yeah they do, Godspeed are always getting shit for being "crescendo-core". Seriously?
>>
>>64596560
No, only contrarian fucknuggets say that because they can't differentiate between using crescendos and being crescendocore. Same thing with Swans
>>
>>64596493
yeah exactly i mean the whole waves of post rock thing illustrates this perfectly.

first wave, spiderland, talk talk, peng!, soundtracks for the blind.. post rock didnt really have a defined sound and was all over the place. really more proto-post rock than anything 2bh, too broad to call it a genre imo.

second wave, u get godspeed, mogwai, hex, early sigur ros.. still varied and novel but its all similar in a lot of ways. notably has crescendos all day. but things are still varied

third wave: kicked off by eits releasing the earth is not a cold dea place. then a bunch of bands copy that exact formula. sigur ros godspeed and mogwai generally fall into repeating their same old schtick. (valtari and kveikur were interesting directions tho)

new swans honestly is very different because of the nature of swans as a band. i mean listen to their pre-burning world stuff... theyre very different from most post rock bands
>>
>>64596578
Okay, I should have phrased that better then. If people are labeling Godspeed crescendo-core, then how do they think it's that different from Swans.
>>
>>64596535
of course they stole a lot from godspeed but i think godspeed always had a ton of orchestration that eits abandoned in favor of more poppy post rock. i could be wrong, its been ages since i listened to slow riot. i should give it another spin
>>
>>64596639
You pretty much got that right exactly except that third wave started with the very first EITS album and its early origins ran alongside the dying flames of second wave.

And I'd consider neo-Godspeed to be outside of third wave, probably second wave revival. Swans are in a league of their own.

>>64596658
They don't. They shit on them too because they're contrarians
>>
>>64596658
if people are labeling godspeed crescendocore then they dont know shit and you should not acknowledgethe rest of their opinions

i mean unless they're talking about pre-soundtracks swans
>>
>>64596693
That's the main fucking problem. EITS are the cause of Post-rock turning into the repetitive shitshow it is today.

And I'd say that most of their inspiration is taken straight off Moya, a fantastic track because it gives you Godspeed's sound with no filler but it's also the reason crescendocore now exists
>>
>>64596703
>Swans are in a league of their own

agreed senpai. the glowing man had better be better than its cover art
>>
>>64596758
Knowing Mikey G he won't disappoint. If he can deliver two 10/10 albums in a row he can almost definitely give us one more.

Have you heard that fucking title track and Frankie M. though? That is some seriously transcendental shit
>>
>>64596756
>EITS are the cause

not their fault 500 other bands decided to copy them. i just feel it's a bit unfair to group them with their copycats.. its like saying bejeweled was unoriginal just because of all the shit clones of it there are now saturating the app market. it was the first to do what it did

(not saying eits are original, ofc theyre still derivative of gsybe, but theyre less derivative than all of their copycat bands)
>>
>>64596797
Fair enough, they're not responsible for all those bands copying them but they certainly are very guilty of copying GYBE in the first place
>>
>>64596782
is the title track a renaming of something on the gate? but yeah frankie m is insane. so fucking pissed i cant see them live.. their coming to tx in september, when ill be at school in atl, and theyre coming to atlanta in summer, when ill be at home in tx. fuck my life
>>
If you don't reply to this post your mom will rape you tonight.
>>
>>64596829
Yeah it's a rename of Black Eyed Man, which was fucking wild.

Frankie M is what rock music transcence sounds like. If the studio version of it sounds anything like the live TGM will probably steal AOTY for me.

I hope they come to Taiwan again for their tour, I missed them last year
>>
>>64596861
*transcendence

Goodness I can't spell right
>>
>>64596861
oh shit nice, im hyped af for this. aoty in the bag then, sorry thom

also the tour dates are out already, u can find it online
>>
>>64596889
Yeah, LP9 would have been AOTY but up against Swans? Radiohead don't really stand a chance unless Mikey fucks up bad.

That seems to be for the US and Europe parts of their tour, if I'm not wrong they came here early last year which was much after the US and Europe tours. I'll wait and see what they announce next
>>
>>64596927
gl getting to see them taiwanbro
>>
>>64596972
thanks my man, i hope you manage to find a way to see them live too
>>
>>64596456
Did you at least seen them ?
I saw God's Pee and Mono live.
Both very good show, of course God's Pee was the best. But the intensity of Mono live has NOTHING in common with anything I know.

And serious questions : why mogwai ? Is it post-rock ? In what other groups are mogwai ripoffs ?
Who are GIAA and TWDY ? I probably know the groups but not the acronym
>>
>>64596812
>if something draws inspiration from something else it's shit
Might as well stop listening to all modern music altogether then because literally everything draws inspiration from and builds upon already existing culture.

This isn't even exclusive to music either. If you want to be a pretentious wanker who isn't a complete hypocrite I suggest you cut yourself off from all forms of art and media in general.
>>
>>64596639
>post rock didnt really have a defined sound and was all over the place
Which goes against the entire point of what a genre is in the first place, meaning calling spiderland, talk talk, peng!, soundtracks for the blind "post-rock" is just fucking stupid. It's like putting Iron Maiden, Talking Heads, The Pogues, and Radiohead under one genre label that is "mail-rock".
>>
>>64597330
yeah thats what im saying my dude. what is generally called first wave post rock is i think more like proto post rock, or maybe like post rock influences.. kinda like if you were to call psychocandy and cocteau twins shoegaze
>>
>>64597199
mogwai is definitely post rock

god is an astronaut
this will destroy you
>>
>>64596435
>obligatory people I disagree with are idiots and I use a bunch of big words because I am smart post
>>
>>64596416
swans are my shit. Godspeed is shit
>>
>>64597469
I'm listening to the God is an Astronaut debut and it sounds nothing like EitS or GY!BE though. I wasn't aware Godspeed did electronic/ambient.
>>
>>64596861
>Black Eyed Man

I'm guessing it started out as the cover they did of Nick Drake's Black Eyed Dog in the White Light sessions. Then they sped it up and it went from Black Eyed Dog to Black Eyed Man to Black Hole Man to The Glowing Man. If you listen to the song it actually sounds kinda similar to Nick Drake's Black Eyed Dog in a way.
>>
>>64597550
tb100%hwyfam id never listened to them before, just typed "giaa post rock" in google to find the name. what album or song are u listening to, sounds interesting
>>
>>64597469
Yeah I know them, I don't like TWDY. GIAA are okay imo but I agree that it isn't really original.
I didn't know that mogwai was post-rock, I often asked myself what genre it falls into...
>>
>>64597682
Their first Album. The End Of The Beginning. The ambient elements and the heavy focus on the drum beats and bass is a pretty unique taker on the genre. Sure their latter stuff shifts more in line with the post-rock standard but their take is still unique enough for me to find people calling them "generic third-wave crescendoshit" to be pretty dumb.
>>
>>64596456
This
>>
>>64597521
>falling for bait this obvious
>>
>>64597727
honestly sounds like something ill enjoy, ill check them out

2bh this is a great thread. i love weekday late night in the states /mu/
>>
>>64597199
>God's Pee

>>64597661
Fuck that's pretty cool
>>
The past 2 swans albums are perfect examples of music that draws itself out to seem experimental, there are basically no crescendos, just hammering the same riffs all day
>>
>>64596416
because /mu/ doesn't give a fuck about music
>>
>>64598807
Spotted the NMH fan
>>
>>64599033
I just don't like their past 2 albums, nmh is also good
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.