[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
> rip off the aesthetic of R.E.M > add some shitty electronic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 9
File: radiohead.jpg (73 KB, 945x591) Image search: [Google]
radiohead.jpg
73 KB, 945x591
> rip off the aesthetic of R.E.M
> add some shitty electronic sounds
> pretend to be experimental and avant-garde
> get hailed by fans and critics as the best band of all time

explain this, I mean I like their music but they are in the same category as U2, The Beatles, and Oasis for me. very good but also very overrated pop-rock
>>
>>64591996
The same reason Coldplay ripped-off Radiohead and it is hailed by girls that get wet thinking about Chris Martin as the best band ever. People have different feelings about songs.
>>
>>64591996
Not disagreeing with everything you're saying,but i struggle to see how Kid A or Amnesiac could be considered pop rock.
>>
radiohead is just a rip-off of u2 and jeff buckley

>pretend to be experimental and avant-garde
they dont???
>>
>>64591996
I think you don't understand ️Radiohead nor do I think your meme works here.
️️Radiohead are not like REM in the slightest. If you think ️Radiohead looks like a jangle pop band you may be the product of a single mother household.

Secondly ️Radiohead was never avant. They are just different from the rest of mainstream alt rock and are innovators of popular sound.

Fuck off with your meme opinions and dont be such a idiot.
>>
>>64591996
He's stabbing at us
>>
>>64591996
ive been saying this for years. they're a fucking pop band that make music for people that want to seem deep, when really they're incredibly average
>>
File: Dark_Side_of_the_Moon.png (22 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Dark_Side_of_the_Moon.png
22 KB, 300x300
>hugely overrated and overhyped
>Praised by critics who don't know shit about music
>Play mellow pop music and pretend to be avant garde
>Cheesy lyrics
>Fans are 15 year olds who think they listen to real music
>Ton of hit and miss songs
>Maybe 2 albums actually worth listening to
>Inspired a bunch of other british bands to play the same unispired music

I don't get it, why does /mu/ like radiohead? pic unrelated
>>
>>64592211
montie you're retarded if you don't think rem was a huge influence on radiohead throughout their career

thom yorke even said michael stipe taught him how to be a frontman
>>
>>64592211
>you may be the product of a single mother household
that was so forced it was hilarious

rem aren't even jangle pop you tard jangle pop doesnt exist
>>
>pretend to be experimental and avant-garde

jesus christ why is this such a widespread opinion? scaruffi said it too.

radiohead has said a ton of times that they make pop music
>>
>>64592211
How does somebody become a stupid as you

>dont be such a idiot.
>a idiot
>a
lol
>>
>>64592164

The first half of Kid A is their most ephemeral and artificial work ever

Radiohead are masters of the artificial. Their parable crowns a long tradition in British rock music of putting form before content, of concentrating on "sound" to the expense of "music".

The problem is that there is precious little to write about Radiohead's songs. The interest they generate recalls the frenzy surrounding each of Bowie's "masterpieces", works that were manufactured ad hoc (by the greatest rock communicator ever) to induce intellectual excitement (to disorient) in order to hide what little substance the music had. Something similar is happening with Radiohead's albums. Each collection is well-crafted and intriguing, for the sake of being well-crafted and intriguing. But little else. If the band has a personality, it is not clear what it is.
The following "masterpiece" of possibly the most over-rated band since the Smiths
>>
File: AchtungBaby.jpg (1 MB, 3661x3661) Image search: [Google]
AchtungBaby.jpg
1 MB, 3661x3661
>>64591996
More like:
>rip off U2
>>
File: image.jpg (54 KB, 607x531) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
54 KB, 607x531
>>64592269
It was a influence but REM and ️Radiohead are very different bands.

>>64592270
>jangle pop does not exist
>>
>>64592211
pure autism
>>
>>64592293
Oh look it's the old "he did not use AN because he's fucking stupid" meme again.

Get some new material, you look like a fucking idiot yourself and I think you need some mental help.
>>
File: jm.jpg (43 KB, 674x521) Image search: [Google]
jm.jpg
43 KB, 674x521
>>64592294
>>
Who do so many people have such autistic opinions about Radiohead. Just listen to their music and pick your favorite album you spergs.
>>
>>64592303
>jangle pop does not exist
it really doesnt
what next youre going to tell me that twee exists

>It was a influence
an*
>>
File: image.jpg (62 KB, 538x777) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
62 KB, 538x777
>>64592434
W3w lad
>>
>>64592303
it's a big influence
the whole apocalyptic thing, the abstract and arcane lyrics featured more for sound than lyrical content, the arpeggiated chords over jagged post-punk rhythms
i mean rem never listened to warp but they're not all that different

i would compare it to the influence of pavement on animal collective, except greater. there is absolutely a shared nostalgic vibe between anco and pavement even though anco sounds nothing like pavement
>>
>>64592479
ur really bad at post-irony

learn some basic english ffs your sentence structure is so bad
>>
>>64591996
>rip off the aesthetic of R.E.M., Sonic Youth, Pink Floyd, and Joy Division

Fixed
>>
File: image.jpg (26 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26 KB, 256x256
>>64592494
DONT EVER CALL ME BAD AT POST IRONY AVANT MEMES AGAIN
>>
>>64592538
why the fuck haven't you killed yourself yet montie
>>
>>64592557
The better question, is why have you not?
>>
>>64592294
all I know is, writing great melodies is difficult. even recently, melodies like weird fishes, 15 step for example, don't leave the brain quickly. what could be more "content" then a great melody?
>>
This entire thread is more proof of why /mu/ posters' opinions should literally never be taken seriously.
>>
>>64592263
severely underrated
>>
>>64592567
have you seen your taste in music
>>
>>64592596
That's not underrated. That's an incredibly popular copypasta.
>>
>>64592735
underrated
>>
File: CEIUgZEUIAE-jGt.jpg (6 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
CEIUgZEUIAE-jGt.jpg
6 KB, 250x250
>>64592269
>>64592296
>>64592538
TRIPFAGS AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA GET OUT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgHNtzxO0y8
>>
>>64592596
yeeeeeeeea buttttttttttt unfortunately RH seem to have more "hit" than "miss". in fact one of the most consistant acts that

I WOULD CLAIM TO HAVE KNOWN OF PRODUCING MUZAK IN THE MODERN AGE

I mean, Jonny Greenwood alone is A BEAST at guitar and is very unique/great at making his "own"sounds. put to thom's creations they are HEAVENLY MASTERWORKS OF THE HIGHEST ORDER MY GOOD FELLOW OF COMMON BRETHERN OF THE ROYAL DIVINITY OF MUZAK FELLOWS!
>>
>>64592296
yfw/ this b side single is better then the lead off single from the new RH album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYBYMYsUgS4
>>
>>64592211
how do i filter tripfags?
>>
>>64592735
>>64592802

last time i accuse /mu/ of being original
>>
>>64593092
Mah nigga, that song is the shit. Also Mysterious Ways is incredible too. Kind of weird how 80's U2 is still pretty big on classic rock stations and newer alty U2 is still well-known, but Achtung material seems to have slipped through the cracks.

>>64593103
Using the settings button at the bottom of the page. There are advanced filtering options and you can filter out specific tripcodes. Goodbye.
>>
>>64592583
I feel like we all learned something here.
>>
>>64592294
I dunno, I'd call that an opinion cos personally the first half of Kid A still blows my mind.
>>
>>64592294
i disagree
>>
>>64593277
>>64593235
what are the emotions coveyed by Kid A
>>
"it's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine" - Bono, singer of Radiohead
>>
>>64593103
You don't you vapid tard
>>
i honestly feel like these threads are bait.

regardless of how original you feel radiohead is, how can you dislike OKC? it's just great. the production, the songwriting, the lyrics, the themes
>>
>>64593299
music just isnt made to convey a specific emotion or whatever, it is supposed to be pleasant to hear.
the artistic value of something doesnt come with getting to convey this specific emotion you want it to, cause it's you and only you who wants it to.
it comes with being able to produce any kind of emotion on the listener.
>>
I think their music is good, but I have no idea why thom started using his voice as an instrument so much with the humming waling
>>
>>64593459
i feel like that's wrong. there's a ton of music that's made to convey a specific emotion.

of course this varies greatly by genre, but take mozart's requiem. it's literally a death mass. i don't think happiness and joy are trying to be conveyed, although maybe you could hear that in it.

don aman by slint i think is specifically trying to convey a feeling of anxiety and alienation. the sparse guitar work, the dissonant chords, the general atmosphere doesn't really seem too open to interpretation. obviously people will hear it differently based on their own life experiences, but the intent is still apparent.

and
>it is supposed to be pleasant to hear
is interesting, because it totally depends on context. i find spiderland pleasant not because it's objectively beautiful or has the best melodies, but because of how well it conveys certain specific emotions
>>
>>64593550
The point is, that not all music has to convey a specific emotion
>>
are they even pretending to be avant-garde now though?

this new song is straight up pop. there are not even any faux-experimental electronic tricks in it. all my pleb friends are raving about it.
>>
>>64593572
my point was that i think composers and performers try to convey a specific emotion, even though at the end of the day it's subjective
>>
>>64592270
>rem aren't even jangle pop
pick up chronic town, murmur and dead letter office
>jangle pop doesnt exist
that's a personal problem, i can't help you with that
>>
>>64592269
>>64592211

Mont Iookin Iike a reaI bitch right now.

>Putting on a trip so you can be bIown out for being this stupid

IoI
>>
File: ZOOTV.jpg (301 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
ZOOTV.jpg
301 KB, 1280x720
>>64593177
Had the extreme privaledge of seeing ZOOTV Live in Vegas. Absolutely the best live performance I ever witnessed. Opening acts were Public Enemy and the Sugar Cubes. All the "AT" material sounded so good live back when Bono still had his voice.
>>
>>64593637
No, because they were never Avant Garde in the first place
Artistic, yes, but they're never too obscene with how much they experiment in their songs instrumentally
And this isn't pop you faggot, you don't even have to like the song to recognize which genre it is, you're defining it all completely wrong
>>
>>64593935
now i agree
>>
>>64591996
>The Beatles
>very overrated pop-rock

nice contrarian meme, OP
>>
>>64591996
>rip off the aesthetic of R.E.M
which Radiohead songs sound like The Byrds?
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.