[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is this the superior NiN album and why are you TDS lovers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (201 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
201 KB, 400x400
Why is this the superior NiN album and why are you TDS lovers so wrong?
>>
>>64590574
TDS is better but only by a hair
>>
The real patricians choose Broken over any of the LPs
>>
File: RF007.png (305 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
RF007.png
305 KB, 600x600
>>64590574

TDS is only better as a concept album. The Fragile is like TDS 2.0 musically.
>>
alright /mu/, time for a confession

i fucking love tds and fragile (especially fragile), but i'm too scared to try anything else by nin in fear of disappointment/not holding up to those two
>>
>>64592946
just stick to those two.
I like the perfect drug tho
>>
>>64590574
ghosts was the only good reznor album
>>
>>64590574
TDS is slightly better, but even then NIN really hasn't come out with a bad album
>>
>>64592946

I find it's best if you view all Nine Inch Nails albums as concept albums.

Pretty Hate Machine: An love letter to his addictions

Broken: His battle against slavery under the tyranny of TVT

Downward Spiral: A man who kills God and collapses into insanity, regret and evetual suicide

The Fragile: Reznor is at war with his addictions, his struggle with his nearly overnight fame and the never ending race to remain as creatively diverse as possible. All of this while he lost a loved one.

With Teeth: He anthropomorphizes his addiction as a woman he's attempting to cut out of his life

Year Zero: Le Political album, which is growing more and more relevant.

The Slip: Never heard it desu

Ghosts: Soundtrack to his imagination as he said

Hesitation Marks: A nervous reflection on his life, and his new struggles with being a husband and father, both of which he likely never planned on considering how alone he was for most of his career and the manner in which he himself was raised.
>>
>>64590861
I mean, that's totally acceptable but that's like the definition of contrarian.
>>
>>64592946
The Perfect Drug is a great song, you will like Broken, it's ok, just do it. Pretty Hate Machine is much less harsh than these albums but still amazing. With Teeth was kinda the last good NIN album to me, and it's a little bit harder to get into but still very good, I would recommend that too. Anything after that, stay away from if you're afraid

Further Down The Spiral is actually a great remix album.

March of the Pigs and Sin are great singles, Sin has a Queen cover on it.

And All That Could Have Been is an amazing live album, a lot of the versions are actually better than the studio versions on that record. NIN never disappoints live.

Still is a dark ambient album with piano renditions from With Teeth but mostly original tracks, and it's fucking beautiful. So check all that out, you won't be disappointed. In that order even.

Watch the Broken movie if you wanna see some truly sick shit. Also, NIN never disappoints with their music videos
>>
>>64593707
I always thought of Pretty Hate Machine as like a legitimate love letter to an ex-lover. I mean listen to Ringfinger, I think this was pre-heroin Trent.
>>
>>64593778

A love letter to someone is a valid interpretation, and that would be my second most likely theory as much of he album is just so... mushy in a sweet way. Trent was apparently into crack at the time. Sanctified is a love letter to a crack pipe.

From what I heard, he only ever used heroin once and that was by accident ( he snorted it thinking it was coke), but I could be mistaken.
>>
>>64593884
No way, he was heavily into heroin man, it's well known. But with songs like Kinda I Want To, Something I Can Never Have, The Only Time, and Ringfinger, I mean he even says

"If I was twice the man I could be, I'd still be half of what you need"

I could see you interpreting that to drugs but no one really talks about them in that way. You hear that a lot with hopeless romantics. Which probably triggered his drug use.
>>
>>64593719
what are you talking about? broken is a classic.
>>
>>64593969

Alright man, I'll defer to that. Pretty Hate Machine was his young idealistic album.

Then reality ensued and suddenly the world received the Broken EP as his response.
>>
>>64594014
Too many guitars
>>
>>64594076
I mean I don't know for sure, I haven't followed them in a long time, but with songs like "Help Me I Am In Hell" and "Gave Up", I think this was the peak of Trent's heroin use. TDS was actually his way of getting clean, as he creates a character that gets so consumed by the drug and eventually shoots himself in the head. Pretty sure he was in the process of getting clean by the time that album came out
>>
>>64594080
fragile has more guitar than broken.
>>
>>64594215
Ye, thats why TDS is better than both of them
>>
The Wretched (version) from Things Falling Apart is better than The Wretched from The Fragile.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.