[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Jazz newfag here, just listened to Kind of Blue and I loved it.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 6
File: kindOfBlue.jpg (2 MB, 1642x1475) Image search: [Google]
kindOfBlue.jpg
2 MB, 1642x1475
Jazz newfag here, just listened to Kind of Blue and I loved it. Should I keep listening to Miles Davis? How should I branch out?
>>
Go to John Coltrane.
>>
>>64582755

you should kill yourself
>>
>>64582807
Already done, I'm posting as a skeleton right now.

>>64582788
Thanks, I'll give him a listen. Any particular album? Or just in general?
>>
>>64582755
Try A Love Supreme. If you can handle it, go forwards. If not go backwards.
>>
>>64582859
Do you mean chronologically?
>>
>>64582842
Giant steps. Since you're a Begining.
>>
>>64582755
Dave Brubeck's Time Out is a great starter. Smooth enough for a casual listener to enjoy but there's enough complexities to help set it apart from the rest and help the listener branch out a bit
>>
https://rateyourmusic.com/customchart?page=1&vif=3fie&chart_type=top&type=album&year=alltime&genre_include=1&include_child_genres=1&genres=jazz&include_child_genres_chk=1&include=both&origin_countries=&limit=none&countries=
>>
Listen to more Davis, the man has a good variety of work.
Listen to artists whose playing you like on a record.
Find labels whose releases you like.
Use the internet to find other big names/labels in the genre, wikipedia is surprisingly good as a starting point.
>>
>>64582921
To add to this list, best to avoid any album with "avant", "free" and "fusion" in the tags. Not all fusion is hard to digest, but some are. Start with some Mingus, Monk, Coltrane, and branch out.
>>
>>64582892
>>64582914
>>64582932
Thanks anons, I'll give these a shot. Listening to A Love Supreme rn, will come back for these in a little bit.

>>64582921
This is a great resource, thanks.
>>
>>64582883
Kinda. If you like experimental jazz after listening to it, try Bitches Brew. If you're more pop give Ellington a listen.
>>
>>64582842
See what you make of In a Silent Way

Try Coltrane's Giant Steps and My Favourite Things, and then maybe Ornette Coleman's The Shape of Jazz to Come. You may also dig Bill Evans (he composed Blue in Green with Davis)
>>
>>64582966
>>64582985
I listened to a bit of Bitches Brew last night and I wasn't sure how to interpret it. I'll go back to it later. Thanks for the advice.
>>
>>64582755
Please give Bill Evans' Waltz for Debby a listen. Harmonic bliss with a ambient sounds that take you to a 60's jazz cafe.
>>
Blue Bird is pretty great
Money Jungle
Headhunters
>>
>>64583033
I'd say you should definitely avoid Bitches Brew for the time being. It's in my top 3 jazz right now, but I didn't like it at all in my first listen. Better to develop a better understanding of jazz first before attempting Bitches Brew, and free jazz too for that matter.
>>
>>64583069
Seconding headhunter for a beginner.
>>
Thanks for giving me a good jazz list for beginners. After making hundreds of threads here on /mu/ in the past I can finally determine that jazzfags aren't shit like everyone else here. Keep up the good work.
>>
>>64583380
>After making hundreds of threads here on /mu/ in the past I can finally determine that jazzfags aren't shit like everyone else here.
Every genre on /mu/ has a decent community Other genres also have trolls to go with it, which act like a vocal minority.
>>
File: jazz.jpg (2 MB, 2160x4185) Image search: [Google]
jazz.jpg
2 MB, 2160x4185
>>64582755
>>
OP here, so far i've listened to
>Kind of Blue
>A Supreme Love
>Saxophone Colossus
>The Black Saint And The Sinner Lady
I prefer the latter two. Does this have any indication of which direction I should go or should I just continue with the basics that have already been stated in this thread?
>>
>>64584702
Try The Shape Of Jazz To Come
and Bitches Brew next

hope you enjoy them man!
>>
>>64582755
If you want to listen to something else, you could try Cannonball Adderley.
>>
>>64582842
Blue Train then Giant Steps then My Favourite Things then A Love Supreme.
>>
>>64584592
Thanks for this.
>>
try dusko goykovich
>>
Hank Mobley.
>>
Listen to more Miles. His discography is expansive and covers numerous shifts in style so you've got plenty to explore. His work is very rewarding. My favorite is In a Silent Way.

Also check out Sun Ra and Ornette Coleman. They're essential jazz and any Miles fan can enjoy them.
>>
Try Time Out by the dave brubeck Quartet, one of my favorites.
Also, save Herbie Hancock for last
>>
File: 4003.jpg (34 KB, 400x393) Image search: [Google]
4003.jpg
34 KB, 400x393
>>64584702

Pic related is very easy listening, and definitely worth a listen while trying to work out what you enjoy. If you enjoy Mingus, Eric Dolphy and Rahsaan Roland Kirk are good intros for the next step up for experimental jazz.
>>
Listen to Madlib's Shade of Blue for a hip-hop angle to it.
>>
>>64582992
>The Shape of Jazz to Come

yeah very accessible for a newbie

@OP try grant green, he has some pretty laid back bluesy jazz guitar
>>
Jazz is literal cuck music.
>>
>>64589449
yeah listen to this guy, he knows about real music like techno and house i mean the list goes on...
>>
id recommend this as well. still need to delve into the recordings he sampled for the album. im a jazznewbie so the entirety of the bluenote collection is a little intimidating
>>
>>64589449
I don't really see how, anyone can like jazz no matter what political views you hold. Same with classical music.
>>
>>64583069
>Headhunters
Ugh, DO NOT listen to this one.
>>
>>64582755
It depends a lot on what kind of music you like. For example, Peter Brötzmann's Machine Gun is obviously not the most accessible album, but it got my metalhead friend into jazz. What are your favorite albums, OP?
>>
File: 983796_bluenoteflowchart.png (3 MB, 3622x3622) Image search: [Google]
983796_bluenoteflowchart.png
3 MB, 3622x3622
This could be a good resource. Focuses on just one record label, but you'll find a lot of good shit on here.
>>
File: Ryo Fukui - Scenery.png (450 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Ryo Fukui - Scenery.png
450 KB, 500x500
>>64582755
>>64582892
Seconding this suggestion, that's probably my favorite Coltrane album and a great listen for new jazz fans.

>>64584702
Oh nice, I was just about to rec Saxophone Collosus. Pic related is some great piano jazz from the 70's. If you want more chill stuff you might also like Sleeping Beauty by Sun Ra.
>>
How come? It may not be traditional Jazz, but it's still a great album>>64591241
>>
File: SaxophoneColossus.jpg (215 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
SaxophoneColossus.jpg
215 KB, 600x600
I love this album, and it's very easy to enjoy. Try this, it's great.
>>
>>64582788
this.
>>64582807
this after that.
>>
>>64582914
no. listen to mingus ah um instead.
>>
Didn't expect my thread to still be up. Thanks for all the great recs, I've got a great list built up now. I haven't been this excited to listen to new music in a while. I didn't expect to dig these albums so much, I feel like I have a whole world of music left to discover.

>>64592737
This is really the only jazz album that I'd heard all the way through before today. A favorite from my childhood.
>>
>>64593159
That's always a great feeling. Drop by the /blindfold/ test threads if you get a chance, a lot of people there know a shitton about jazz and can show you tons of new stuff. Super friendly to newcomers, too.
>>
Had a toke and cried about jazz, and this thread was great help. Thanks.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.