[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
AHAHAAAHAAHAH post yfw Aesop Rock got a higher score than Slime
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 112
Thread images: 7
AHAHAAAHAAHAH

post yfw Aesop Rock got a higher score than Slime Season 3, Evol, 3001: A Laced Odyssey, Hella Personal Film Festival, AND Views

Aesop Rock is now second only to Kanye in the rap game.
>>
let me check my thesaurus for an appropriate response like he checks a thesaurus for his raps
>>
And understandably so. It's better than all those shit albums.
>>
>>64575118
Holy shit man! Good one brother, le upvoats to you good sir! Cheers
>>
>>64575118
>implying that using a thesaurus is cheating
>implying he uses a thesaurus
>ignoring the fact that he has one of the most godly flows in modern hip hop

Kill you are self my man
>>
File: GEmVL.jpg (38 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
GEmVL.jpg
38 KB, 480x640
>>64575130
i'm not the redditor here
>>
>>64575145
no you're the redditor from there
>>
File: 1366921055_11682_prince_1979.jpg (83 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1366921055_11682_prince_1979.jpg
83 KB, 900x900
>backpackers on /mu/
>>
>>64575145
You wish you had to self promote on social media
>>
What does /mu/ think of Aesop?
Im curious.
>>
>>64575208
dunno, ask him
>>
File: i'll just leave it here.png (106 KB, 1203x363) Image search: [Google]
i'll just leave it here.png
106 KB, 1203x363
>>
>>64575118

would you rather him check urbandictionary.com like every other rapper?
>>
>>64575208
He's one of the best indie rappers to ever do it. Nearly all of his albums are very good to great (except for Bazooka Tooth, which still had its moment). For the last 7 years or so, he's also been one of the best producers in hip-hop.

English is my third language and I still can make sense of his lyrics. If you're a native speaker and struggle with what he's saying, then I got bad news for you.
>>
>>64575118

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1yzoiUIGGs
>>
>>64575208
confuses the fuck out of me, I think i'm too stupid to understand it honestly
>>
>>64575250
>posts filthy frank
hilarious and original
>>
>>64575230
i'd rather you stick to indie rock and NPR approved junk like run the jewels
>>
>>64575107
i honestly did not expect this. p4k have been extreme trap apologists for the past few years but it looks like the tides are turning now
>>
>>64575233
>English is my third language

if english isn't your first language your opinions on rap are completely worthless
>>
>>64575284
>if english isn't your first language your opinions on rap are completely worthless

t. butthurt monolingual faggot
>>
>>64575255
Read the lyrics on rapgenius
>>
>>64575260

NPR has good taste though. Better taste than P4K and Fantano at least.

Also RTJ is pretty good, and if you know anything about hip-hop you'd know that El-P is one of the most talented and respected artists of the entire genre.
>>
>>64575308
third world poorfag detected
>>
>>64575340
What are EI-P best albums then?
waterworld is awesome but I haven't heard anything else good from him. Bazooka tooth is the worst Aesop album and he produced it
>>
>>64575414

best album that El-P produced is The Cold Vein by Cannibal Ox.

best El-P solo album is IMO I'll Sleep When You're Dead but a lot of people would say Fantastic Damage or Funcrusher Plus.

also check out Killer Mike's R.A.P. Music which is entirely produced by El-P (so it's basically RTJ but all Killer Mike).
>>
>>64575441
>I'll Sleep When You're Dead

This might be my favorite too but I like Funcrusher Plus and FanDam a lot as well. The Cold Vein is my favorite cold weather album. I always bump it in winter.
>>
>>64575441
Oh I forgot about the Cold Vein that is a dope album. I just listened to some of I'll Sleep When You're Dead and I think ill stick to the cold vein and waterworld
>>
>>64575617
Funcrusher Plus is generally considered to be a classic. You should at least listen to the tracks 8 Steps to Perfection and The Fire in Which You Burn.
>>
>>64575668
the first couple songs of Funcrusher sounds good so ill give it a listen
>>
>Drake got panned
>Radiohead got two BNTs
>now this

seems like white people music is making a comeback
>>
>>64575940
they're bleeding money and lost tons of readers over the pitch bullshit last year, that's why
>>
>>64575976

what's the pitch?
>>
>>64575940
>>64575107

Who even gives a fuck about those stupid scores? Just listen to stuff and make up your own minds. It's not difficult.
>>
File: 1461631711307.jpg (98 KB, 342x342) Image search: [Google]
1461631711307.jpg
98 KB, 342x342
post yfw he likes aesop rock
>>
>Later on, he studies the actions of his cat on "Kirby" before psychoanalyzing their relationship and society’s larger relationship with the felines as a whole, which have been everything from gods to memes.'
>which have been everything from gods to memes.

WE
>>
>>64575208
Yo, pretty good. At his best with blockhead, and I don't know if he's on this new album
>>
>>64575107
>slime season 3 garbage
>evol garbage
>3001 mediocre
>hella personal film festival good
>views garbage

kys
>>
Should I give this a listen? I did think Skelethon was pretty good, but don't know if I need anymore Aesop Rock in my catalog rn
>>
First off, Kendrick and Anderson Paak (if you consider him rap) both got higher scores.

Second, why are people surprised by this? Pitchfork has always liked Aesop and honestly, what idiot doesn't like him? He's got one of the most consistent discographies in rap.
>>
>>64575976
[citataion needed]
>>
>>64575118
>I'm unintelligent and don't understand this music, therefore it's bad
toppest of keks my friend
>>
>>64575208
He's great. I can't tell if other /mu/tants are just shitting on him because it's a meme and people like to be ironic here, but he's fantastic. All of his projects are worth listening to, some are amazing, and some are just good. Brings a very unique style and sound to the rap game and he's one of my favorites desu
>>
all you people are fags
>>
>>64576386
Yeah, it's pretty great honestly. If you liked skelethon give this a shot
>>
>>64576040
Blockhead remixed a bonus track, and it's fucking GOAT
>>
File: hipster-fedora1_zps1e0a4e8a.jpg (65 KB, 570x378) Image search: [Google]
hipster-fedora1_zps1e0a4e8a.jpg
65 KB, 570x378
>>64575118
>"Real hip-hop skill doesn't come down to vocabulary, as the music is reflective of the struggles of inner-city African Americans. Therefore, grunting and mumbling simple lines is the purest form of the music."
>>
>>64575107
according to whose standards? pitchfork? lol
>>
>>64576386

it's better than Skelethon, but Labor Days is better than both.

>implying you can ever have too much music
>>
Compare The Impossible Kid to every album you mentioned and it's easy to see why they rated it higher.
Slime Season 3: Young Thug releases tons of music and at this point, most of it is becoming hard to discern. His work is no longer all that interesting.
Evol: Same as Young Thug, but to a lesser extent
3001: A Laced Odyssey: Not really as developed as a proper album debut should have been
Hella Personal Film Festival: Never listened to it, can't comment
Views: Really underwhelming release due to a lot of filler and emphasis on pandering towards his core fanbase of whiny teenagers rather than a fully cohesive project

And like others have said, there are other people pitchfork have still rated higher than 8.2 other than Kanye
>>
>>64578497
I prefer at least three solo albums of Aesop to Labor Days. [spoiler]Labor Days is still great though.[/spoiler] To each their own, I guess.
>>
Aesop Rock is pretty cool. I used to really hate him honestly, he's the most pretentious rapper i've ever seen with his shit-tier dictionary poems. He can be appreciated for his incredible flow, that I give him.
>>
>>64579070

how is he pretentious? what does pretentious even mean in music?
>>
>>64579415
Idk if it's "in music", but he is really trying hard to push his rapping as "serious" poetry. It's annoying because it's obviously derivrd from a very shallow view of both poetry and rap. Building a maze of metaphores and big words doesn't make his lyrics "poetic", or less stupidly edgy.
The funny part is he doesn't even need this image, he raps well.
>>
>>64579490
Give me examples of him being edgy, because you're confusing the fuck out of me.
>>
>>64579490
>edgy
>aesop

You're not very good with buzzwords, huh anon?
>>64579415
While Aesop's one of my favorite rappers, I definitely understand people calling him pretentious. He composed an entire album to scorn and disapprove of the millions of people that make a living in the average work force. But that's part of his shtick. He provides commentary, different outlooks
>>
>>64578497
Honestly his latest is on par with Labor Days, don't care what anyone thinks. Blockhead's production's still good but it's sorta dated.
>>
>>64575193
Why is there such a divide between mainstream hip-hop and indie hip-hop.

I'm a fan of stuff in both, but I've never got why people get obnoxious about indie stuff.
>>
>>64576024
How does that work.
Last time I checked WE WUZ KANGZ only was about black people thinking that they descended from Egypt.
And while that is bulls hit the Egyptians did have cats as well as cat gods.
Hell cats have been around the world in different roles.
>>64576017
I would like someone to explain how Drake is on suicide watch after P4K and Fantano give him average scores.
Does that mean that all the copies he sold don't count anymore?
How does OP'so thing of Aeosp Rock being second to Kanye work Exactly?
Did getting a good score raise his sales and influence THAT much?
>>64575995
Some thing where theyou tried to bundle old issues together and sell them in a subscription.
Would make more sense if almost all the reviews were not still on the site.
>>
>>64575208
The only rap artists music I unironically enjoy. Labor Days is 11/10.
>>
>>64579947

>He composed an entire album to scorn and disapprove of the millions of people that make a living in the average work force.

lmao, Labor Days went waaay over your head
>>
>>64575118
If you can't understand Aesop since Labor Days and onward, especially with Skelethon, then you are literally just an idiot.
>>
>>64579490

>he is really trying hard to push his rapping as "serious" poetry.

has he actually said this, or are you just assuming?

why are rap fans so afraid of being serious or poetic or artsy? why does everything have to be about acting stupid and reckless?
>>
>>64578275
>I am intellegent and therefore cannot relate to this dumbed down simpleton music.
FTFY
>>
>>64581245
Who's afraid? I don't think the power of rap lays in poetic qualities, it might be taste but I prefer the lyrics to just give the verse its "meat", create an atmosphere. I'm not saying it's wrong to try and write rap like poetry, if that's your thing, but whatever Aesop is writing obviously does not hold as poetry if you read anything besides rap lyrics.

I don't know if he said he wants his rap to be like poetry, but that's obviously where he is going. All his verses are built like poems - metaphores, themes being developed, trying to express an idea or create deep meaning. Those are not things you can pick up just from listening to him, you're kinda forced into reading his text as if it was poetry.
>>
i don't listen to white rappers
>>
>>64579755
>>64579947
You two must be joking. I mean we are talking about the guy who wrote None Shall Pass here.
>>
>>64579490

You're thinking of Earl Sweatshirt
>>
This album is fucking awful

I remember enjoying a few Aesop Rock tracks back in the day so listened to

0/10 beats, corny ass lyrical subject, turned off pretty quickly
>>
>>64582025
hell yeah kill whitey
>>
>>64575193
>saying backpackers unironically
where the fuck do you think you are?
>>>/r/hiphopheads
>>
>>64582082
your opinion is fucking awful
>>
>>64582055
No, Earl Sweatshirt is actually a perfect example for someone who definietly displays a quality of writing without purporting to bea poet when he's obviously not - he's a rapper.
He wrote some songs with a "message" (but let's be honest he does alot of ego-rap too.), but he usually writes the songs developing a certain idea of rhyme, of a sound. You are absolutely invited to delve into his writing as bars in a song, as a listener. His wordplay can be creative, accurate, but it's never a bunch of metaphors he asks you to analyze. Earl's biggest moments as a writer are his "punch to the guts" lines - the exact opposite of Aesop.
>>
>>64582183
gb2leddit
>>
>>64580820
people like you are why normal folks don't fuck with Aes
>>
>>64576092
change ss3 to mediocre and then i agree with you
>>
>>64582227
>tries to defend Aesop Rock's lyrics
>I'm reddit
yea, no.
>>
>>64579490
The guy really doesn't take himself seriously at all. He's a nice ass dude and he's pretty self aware. Honestly i don't understand how you can post on this board and make that assumption, since you clearly spend at least an above average amount of time listening to and appreciating music.
>>
>>64582183
>No, Earl Sweatshirt is actually a perfect example for someone who definietly displays a quality of writing without purporting to bea poet

This is literally 100% wrong
>>
>>64582227
insightful.
>>
>>64582082

what songs did you like from before?
>>
>>64582082
What's the lyrical subject?
>>
>>64582275
hi you seem to have forgotten that it's currently 2016 and not 2010, and the reactionaries who hated mainstream hiphop are now a minority taken over by reactionaries who hate reactionaries who hate mainstream hiphop, and now embrace poptism and mainstream stuff for the sake of hating the initial reactionaries

so
>>>reddit
>>
>>64575222
too bad this is wrong
>>
>>64575208
Absolutely phenomenal start to his career. I still love Music for Earthworms, and it was easily his most dense and abstract stuff.

Now it's a bit more streamlined, but the song concepts and beats are quite refined. He has a lot of great topics to tackle that you wouldnt hear ever in hiphop, and he has a good ear for flows most of the time. His latest shit feels like it has a small k.dot influence in a moment or two.

Shame he gets disregarded so easily because of his dense lyrics. If you read along it makes much more sense.
>>
>>64582293
For some reason everyone thinks I said he takes himself too seriously as an arist, that's not what I said at all. You can take youself seriously as a rapper, many rappers do - what Aesop clearly does is see himself as a kind of a poet. Perhaps because he thinks that in order for rap to be serious or artistic it has to be poetic, perhaps because he just likes writing. I'm talking about how his art is experienced, I could totally believe he's just a chill dude who likes expressing his ideas with weird rap-poetry. I still dislike this aspect of the result.

>>64582302
How does Earl attempt to be a poet and not a rapper?
>>
>>64579947
>He composed an entire album to scorn and disapprove of the millions of people that make a living in the average work force
What did he mean by this
>>
>>64582330
> Your opinion is not fashionable go to reddit
You're the worst
>>
>>64582082
summer
>>
>>64582413
Yeah that's a perfectly fine opinion to hold. Some of his lyrics actually discuss his penchant for wordiness which is ironic because these lines themselves are pretty hard to decipher.
>>
>>64582444
l
e
d
d
i
t
>>
>>64582461
As long as we agree his flow is fantastic. Just curious, which songs are you talking about? Might read them.
>>
>>64575107
>a cool outlet like p4k gave a backpacker artist like aesop rock a good review

how did this happen?
>>
File: lookatthatneck.jpg (43 KB, 600x509) Image search: [Google]
lookatthatneck.jpg
43 KB, 600x509
so who's getting this now?
>>
I'm a little bothered it didn't get BNM, but it's pitchfork so Im not too peeved.
>>
>>64575940
>implying white people would pan Drake
>>
Earl's dad is literally a famous poet

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keorapetse_Kgositsile
>>
Reddit: the rapper.
>>
>>64575118
>every single reply thinking this anon is too stupid to understand the fucking lyrics
It's not that it's some high concept people are incapable of understanding. Aesop Rock is known to use a fucking rhyme dictionary to compose his songs. Ever wonder why he has the largest vocabulary of any other rapper? It's because he literally throws words in for the amount of syllables they have. His rhymes are researched nonsense. It's fucking retarded.
This dude literally raps about being a dinosaur playing fucking marbles on the beach.

Fuck Aesop Rock
>>
>>64584831

How so?

>>64585073

Nice pasta.

And he still manages to say more than the average memerapper /mu/ shits their pants over constantly (Young Thug, Future, etc.)
>>
>>64585073
Also his flow is a fucking joke, he throws syllables out as fast as he can without any regards to rhythm or cadence. He's legitimately a joke of a rapper. I can't fathom /mu/'s recent obsession with this fucking clown.
>>
>>64584881
But anon, we've been talking up this album since Rings came out. This isn't anything new. Aes has a fairly large fanbase on here so it's only natural that we celebrate when others recognise his quality. Your outrage is no different then the people who shit on meme rap and the cancer that is young thug. Throw your little hissy fit and come back when you can handle people disagreeing with you.
>>
>>64585113
>Nice pasta.

fuck off faggot
>>
>>64585156

no you fuck off for literally reposting something that was posted a couple days ago you fucking cunt.

don't you have a DG thread to spam memes in?
>>
>>64585177
I posted it a few days ago and you didn't have shit for an argument against it then either

In response to this dude rapping about dinosaurs playing on the beach I just got 'LOL BUT THATS AWESOME YOU MEAN'

Fucking aesop stans
>>
>>64585073
>>64585136
summer smells nice
>>
>>64581126
Or maybe you're over thinking it? I don't feel it's difficult to miss that the album's theme is selling your dreams to do what's safe and makes you money even if you're dedicating yourself to something you don't enjoy. Are you trying to shitpost or do you actually have some differing opinion that goes against everyone elses?
>>
>>64585243

my response is that it's a hundred times better than rapping about how many bitches he fucked, how much weed and codeine he does, how many niggas he's shot etc.

he's actually interesting, if that seems dumb to you it's probably because you're a boring person.
>>
i just like hearing fun words being rapped
>>
>>64585711

pleb
>>
My two main problems with aesop rock
1. Hes ugly
2. His voice is retarded sounding
>>
>>64586041
All the best rappers are ugly, you dumb faggot.
Thread replies: 112
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.