[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is John Fahey overrated?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 7
File: image.jpg (128 KB, 382x640) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
128 KB, 382x640
Is John Fahey overrated?
>>
File: fahey.jpg (23 KB, 385x400) Image search: [Google]
fahey.jpg
23 KB, 385x400
my pal the tortoise how fast does he go?
>>
>>64569026
he is not, but voice of the turtle is literally just 30's folk released in the 60's that is somehow praised as being innovative
>>
File: basho.jpg (112 KB, 960x625) Image search: [Google]
basho.jpg
112 KB, 960x625
>>64569026
Yep so is this fag
>dying from a massage
lol
>>
>>64569083
Sandy Bull is better
>>
>>64569026
no
>>
>>64569026
probably a bit, but damn is he not a fine guitarist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT6W2hJsqYA
>>
No, he is one of the best guitarists of all time and Fare Forward Voyagers is one of the best albums of all time. He is a essential part of American culture and music and should be seen as a national treasure.
>>
File: RobbieBasho2.png (1 MB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
RobbieBasho2.png
1 MB, 640x1136
>>64569083
>making fun of Basho
you're a bad person.
>>
File: 795.png (404 KB, 853x480) Image search: [Google]
795.png
404 KB, 853x480
Faheyfags are always the most pathetic poseurs on this board who always think they're are hot shit

What are your top ten delta blues players? Do you even have a favorite delta blues musician? Let me guess? Robert Johnson, Blind Willie Johnson, the l-list goes on....

Just utterly fucking pathetic. Kill yourselves.
>>
>>64569236
no, I just listen to fahey dude
>>
File: gordy.jpg (12 KB, 288x255) Image search: [Google]
gordy.jpg
12 KB, 288x255
>>64569026
Massively. But you know who's extremely underrated ? Pic related.

>>64569083
Basho's good, though.
>>
>Fishmans
>Coil
>This Heat
>Now, John Fahey

god damn this board
>>
>>64569236
>anime posters

u offended me
>>
>>64569236
>anime posting

Never EVER use my meme again.
Kicked out of montieboys
Banned from musical discussion for 2 weeks
>>
>>64569236

>Worst girl
>Worst taste

To be expected.
>>
>>64569294
Fishmans are overrated, though. Coil is only a bit overrated and This Heat doesn't ever get discussed here, so they can't be.
>>
>>64569352

Have you missed the daily DUDE BERNIE SANDERS LMAO threads about Deceit?
>>
File: Dul-2.jpg (48 KB, 1200x350) Image search: [Google]
Dul-2.jpg
48 KB, 1200x350
Why does it matter how he's rated? Do you enjoy his music or not? Do you find it especially meaningful or touching, or is it just another guy with a guitar to you?

I don't think this attitude is applicable to every genre, but folk music values authenticity about all else. So if you're a serious folk listener, just listen to the music and be honest about how it makes you feel. Don't let anyone tell you how you should feel about shit you should be feeling for yourself. Including me.
>>
>>64569383
I must have because I've never seen that album posted on /mu/ before. It's been on my backlog for a long time, though.
>>
>>64569026
This elderly lady talked my ears off about him for about 2 hours while I was working. She gave me one of his cds and I was so excited to listen to it. I must say when I first heard it I didn't get what all the fuss is about.
>>
>>64569552
to be honest with you, I prefer their first album to Deceit.
>>
Not a single person mentioned in this thread is overrated. Over recced maybe (which isn't the same thing as overrated) but all of the artists mentioned in this thread have earned their spots in the canon.
>>
>>64569614
That's how I feel. I just don't get the appeal to John Fahey at all, it just sounds really empty to me.
>>
ya he's overrated but i like him
>>
>>64569844
9/10 answer. Good job, sir.
>>
>>64569352
Literally no one cares about them outside of RYM and /mu/. How the fuck are they overrrated?
>>
>>64570114
>Literally no one cares about them outside of RYM and /mu/. How the fuck are they overrrated?
Fishmans? Paying more than 1k for a boxset of their music is definitely a sign.
>>
>>64570122

I mean, if you're willing to spend a grand on them, I think you might actually like them.
>>
>>64569236
you can like john fahey without rating his work or reviewing it or whatever
are you OK with that? or do you have to go full into a genre before you like any artist in it
>>
>>64570114
Fishmans get mentioned on /mu/ several times per day
>>
He's an icon. Icons are universally over-estimated. It comes with the territory.

He's fantastic though.
>>
His memoir alone is GOAT worthy, though not for good reasons.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.