[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Honestly, what's wrong with this album?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (39 KB, 316x316) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39 KB, 316x316
Honestly, what's wrong with this album?
>>
>>64568181
It's by Animal Collective.
>>
>>64568181
Why listen to Painting With when you could be listening to Centipede Hz?
>>
The fact I can't remember any of it other than Flori Dada
>>
Why doesn't /mu/ like animal collective?
>>
fanboy
>>
>>64568181
panda bear's songwriting became more straightforward while avey tare's became more reserved, which ended up sounding claustrophobic and dull
>>
The album can get pretty repetitive by the end, just because most songs use pretty much exactly the same sonic palette and are all up-beat. I really don't care for Natural Selection or Bagels in Kiev. Besides that I like it a lot, I dig the more contemporary electronic influences that showed up on PBVSGR and sort of developed on PW in a different way.

I feel like people were disappointed by it mostly because the album lacks the rewarding buildups that most AnCo fan favorites have. for that reason the album isn't as much of a 'journey' or however you want to put it.
>>
>>64568181
compare it to Centipede Hz, MPP, SJ, feels or sung tongs
>>
>>64568181

It's just really forgettable. Not a very good release.
>>
>>64568256
basically this, except for Golden Gal (and Gnip Gnop if it counts)
>>
OP here. I guess i kind of understand where y'all are coming from but I think this is a big step up from Centipeze Hz.
>>
nothing, it's fantastic

vertical, golden girls and on delay in regular rotation since release
>>
>>64568365
>it's not very good
great criticism
>>64568363
>>64568237
>they have better albums
great criticism
>>
its 41 minutes of wacky sounds
>>
>>64568422
I didn't say it was bad, it's an 8/10. CHz is a 10/10 though.
>>
>>64568574
what makes chz better, in your opinion?
>>
>>64568326
Wait, so...you guys will listen to a song and not know whether or not you liked it until you listen a few more times? That's so weird. Does that carry over into every aspect of your daily life? I can't imagine how hard it must be for people like you to form opinions on things. Like someone asks you if you like the food you're eating and you go, "Gee I dunno, I need to eat it three more times." If you got raped would the experience be completely neutral for you until you got raped some more? Jesus, what blank slates of men you are. To think that your cognitive ability, not to mention your faith thereof, is so pathetically nonexistent that you hesitate to determine whether or not you enjoy something for fear of being incorrect in your judgment. It baffles the mind. I'm getting dumber just thinking of it. Fuck. Please tell me you're not serious. I don't think I can share a board--nay, a planet--with the likes of such spineless, cowardly weaklings.

>golly gee, timmy york's cord porgressions are so unfathomably complex 0_o ...gonna take a few more listens t o complete my extensive theoretical analysis (all internalized and unrecorded, of course :P ))! maybe mommy will give me good boy points for comprehending the great intricacies underlying yorky dork and the radheads!!

I hate you. I hate everything you stand for. I hate the way you have infiltrated the once good nature of this board, and I hate the opinions you have yet to form. For my sake, for everyone's sake, please never post again. I realize you'll have to read this at least six more times to fully grasp the meaning behind these words, but once you do I sincerely hope you leave. Permanently.
>>
>>64569192
faggot
>>
>>64569192
this copypasta really grew on me the second or third time i saw it
>>
It's like the adult singers from Kidz Bop recorded a cover album full of Disco Inferno b-sides.
>>
>>64568181
no Deakin
>>
It's a solid 7 out of 10, familia.
>>
Too many wacky sound effects and filters that bury the harmonies which are pretty much identical for each track, not to mention the lyrics are pretty weak
>>
Only problem is that ppl shit on it.

I love it
>>
>>64569573
in what place on the album do sound effects and filters bury the harmonies at all
they intentionally moved away from any and all vocal effects, and the only sound effects are synths and the occasional and sparse samples
>>
>>64568363
This
Not to say it's bad by any means but. Expectations were a bit too high for me personally I guess
>>
>>64569569
Yea agreeing with >>64569616

What you're might have wrong to is that the vocal melodies are hard to follow cause they do that vocal trade after one word trick.
>>
File: a3838757669_10.jpg (81 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
a3838757669_10.jpg
81 KB, 1200x1200
Been out of /mu/ for some weeks. What's the verdict about this one?
>>
>>64568181
the fact that it exists
>>
>>64569847
More praised than PW, critics and this site.

But somehow the less discussed
>>
sounds too much like rugrats
>>
>>64569847
I like it better than PW. This sounds more organic and less samey throughout
>>
>>64568181
burp
>>
>>64569847
>>64569901
also its quality has been unduly amplified by the disappointment in PW
>>
>>64569192
>doesn't even change the pasta to be about Animal Collective
it's like you didn't try
>>
>>64570013
>golly gee, avey and pandy's wacky sounds are so unfathomably complex 0_o ...gonna take a few more listens t o complete my extensive theoretical analysis (all internalized and unrecorded, of course :P ))! maybe mommy will give me good boy points for comprehending the great intricacies underlying 'painting with the freaky animal men'!!
>>
>>64568308
this is a very succinct way to put it

>>64568422
great critique yourself, dingus.
>>
>>64570400
i didn't actually offer one, thanks for the compliment though
>>
>>64568181
The songs lack build-up and payoff, which was a trademark of AnCo pre CHz, yet the textures are less interesting than those on CHz making it a less rewarding listen. Avey and Panda's vocal trade-offs are too frequently used, and as a result the vocals lose character. Every songs is mid-to-high tempo with no breathing room, making all the songs blur together, losing the subtleties of each unless you put conscious effort into picking them out. Yet overall there aren't any songs on the album that are bad, but very few are great
>>
>>64571324
It's a solid 7 though
>>
It's not avant-garde enough, Animal Collective should really just kill themselves at this point in their career.
>>
SHITTY MELODIES. FOR GODS SAKE THE MELODIES ARE FUCKING SHITTY. THAT IS WHY.
>>
>>64571618
What was shitty about them?
>>
>>64568181
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zol2MJf6XNE

Sounds like pretentious electro hipster shit, won't listen again
>>
Burglars and Bagels in Kiev are standouts but some of the songs are really hard to tell apart. It's not bad but it's not amazing either.
>>
It's annoying. Floridada was one of the only memorable tracks. No depth
>>
File: image.jpg (62 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
62 KB, 500x500
>>64571712
>>
doesnt hit the soul. you want me to get techical you can go fuck yourself
>>
It just didnt have the great, memorable songs from albums like mpp or feels
You can add all the effects in the world but if the song isnt good then thats all there is to it
>>
>>64572325
To be fair tbc has very little resources still available on the interney
>>
The album is really fucking good. The only people talking shit were bitter old critics who didn't like them in the first place and were hoping it was a good time for opinion to change.

But, nah, all the 'cool kids' I know worship AC.
>>
I predict that this album will gradually gain the reputation of kind of an overlooked masterpiece... at least a really great thing as what it is.

There are things actually really distinct to it, which a lot of people haven't discussed much.
>>
>>64568272
what are you talking about? like 75% of /mu/ loves them.
>>
>>64572493
he's a weak troll. they're probably the most credible and loved band here next to Swans and Death Grips
>>
I really really enjoyed them live last Saturday, even the songs I didn't like on the album.

Makes me want to revisit it very soon
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.