[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Masterpiece albums that don't fit into /mu/'s circlejerk
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 22
File: album-cover-fortress.jpg (125 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
album-cover-fortress.jpg
125 KB, 600x600
>>
>>64558960
>Not Kezia
>>
File: discoveramerica.png (695 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
discoveramerica.png
695 KB, 600x600
>>
File: 51L.jpg (47 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
51L.jpg
47 KB, 500x500
>>
>>64558991
Not anywhere near as good as fortress. Get that whiny emo shit out of here.
>>
File: 51X3VSY0PCL._SS500_.jpg (54 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
51X3VSY0PCL._SS500_.jpg
54 KB, 500x500
>>
File: download.jpg (11 KB, 224x224) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
11 KB, 224x224
>>
File: thricealchemyindex.jpg (44 KB, 600x597) Image search: [Google]
thricealchemyindex.jpg
44 KB, 600x597
>>64559542
Good choice my friend. I see them get some love around here but never enough. Hell, they don't get enough love in the metal crowd alone. This is probably because Anthony decided to hate on them for the stupidest reasons.
>>
>>64558991
not Kezia, definitely.
Too much teenage aggression to be 10/10
>>
>>64559542
My least favourite record of them, not saying it's not good, Viridian + White Walls combo is still GOAT for me
>>
>>64559256
>>64559633
Nah senpai.
Kezia is a 10/10 album on all fronts (Fortress is still great though
>>
>>64558960
>>64559542
ITT: Garbage which focuses on gimmicks and flashy technicality as a compensation for good songwriting.
>>
>>64559702
Quit parroting whatever Anthony Fantano says to you and learn to think on your own.
>>
>>64559702
If anything you're describing the new generation of metal bands that replicate bands like this and have nothing original to show. It's basically pop music to me at this point. BOO and periphery are now pure garbage too but btbam still makes real music.
>>
>>64559770
I hated these bands long before Fantano ever reviewed, PTH cannot write a decent rifd despite how many they cram into a song and post-Alaska BTBAM is a Frankenstein of poorly executed segues and passages from various genres in an attempt to seem eclectic, both bands are garbage regardless of what Fantano says.
>>
>>64559835
Agreed. People forget it but at one point BTBAM were the only band doing progressive death metal at all, besides a few exceptions.

It pains me to see people shit on them because "the metal parts sound boring" or "its just technical and has no emotion". Go to any other metal band and try to find better. And shitty production values don't equate to emotion, despite what everyone thinks.
>>
>>64559874
Then you must not like metal music in general, because these are arguably two of the better metal albums in recent history. In which case why are you even bothering in the first place?
>>
>>64558960
progressive skateshop-core
>>
>>
>>64559904
>at one point BTBAM were the only band doing progressive death metal at all, besides a few exceptions.
You are so wrong it's not even funny,if by a "few" exceptions you mean hundreds, possibly thousands of various technical and progressive death metal bands, then sure a "few" exceptions would be correct.

>>64559963
PTH and BTBAM are a good example of metal for people who don't actually like metal. PTH isn't even metal at all and BTBAM's death metal influences are sparse at best.
>>
>>64559411
its good
last track is kinda annoying
storm and stress did it better
>>
>>64560057
>PTH and BTBAM are a good example of metal for people who don't actually like metal. PTH isn't even metal at all and BTBAM's death metal influences are sparse at best.

Just stop dude you look like an idiot
>>
File: image.jpg (47 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
47 KB, 300x300
>>64558960
>this
>>
>>64560187
Not him, but you're the one who looks like an idiot.

I dig Fortress and Kezia enough, also.
>>
File: image.jpg (176 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
176 KB, 1000x1000
Makes me mad that /mu/ can't into modern prog rock
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7x9EA9pXUg

It's their best album, fite me
>>
>>64560016
This. Probably the best punk-emo fusion to come out in years.
>>
>>64560016

>I'VE BEEN HAVING A HORRIBLE TIME PUTTING MYSELF TOGETHER
>>
>>64558960
>>64558991
I actually think I like A Calculated Use Of Sound the most. Yes, they're young and whiny, but the music has an energy and earnest aesthetic that their later works simply don't. Fear and Loathing in Laramie, Led Astray, and I Am Dmitri Karamazov and the World is my Father are all great songs.
>>
>>64559904
/mu/ talking about metal outside the general is the cringiest thing ever

they were NEVER progressive death metal, they were metalcore with prog tendencies thru alaska and then Colors/misdirect/parallax are basically just prog metal taking elements of lots of different metal subgenres (including, but never predominantly, death). and there were SO many actual prog death bands before/during the Colors era
>>
>>64561634
>they were NEVER progressive death metal
>they were metalcore with prog tendencies
> basically just prog metal taking elements of lots of different metal subgenres

Do we ever wonder why we get labeled as autistic so often?
>>
File: ay100goodshit100righthere100.jpg (43 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
ay100goodshit100righthere100.jpg
43 KB, 500x500
>>
AM I ALLOWED TO POST TWO /MU/DES?
>>
>>64560978
I bet you haven't even read BK, how pretentious to name a mediocre song after one of the greatest novels ever written. That alone shows how juvenile this group is.
>>
>>64562144
Dude go out and get laid or something who gives a shit?
>>
>>64562241
dont worry brah gettin laid now after dissin ur post right /lit/ style, after i nut ill get back here hopes u got better taste by then muh dude
>>
>>64562241
>>64562341
alright back

now, let's discuss why you got so upset at me calling this shitty band juvenile and pretentious

let me guess, you don't even know what pretentious means? me and my girl laughin at you btw
>>
>>64558960
DJENT SUCKS
>>
>>64562377
>>64562341

Dude look at the timespan. If you actually did get laid than the only person your girl is laughing at is you.
>>
File: Volition_(Album).jpg (103 KB, 720x717) Image search: [Google]
Volition_(Album).jpg
103 KB, 720x717
>>64558960
Fucking amazing album, Volition is their best tho
>>
>>64562453
holy fuck dude I'm memeing you

how are you gonna tell someone to go get laid with a 4chan post? what's stopping me from saying the exact same thing to you about posting on 4chan?

Do you actually have anything to say or did you just get pissy about me pointing out that your favorite highschool band is juvenile as fuck and only the most pretentious losers of all time would name a shitty song after Dostoevsky's magnum opus?

basically what I'm trying to say is that your shit taste and attitude is bringing down the quality of the board
>>>/tv/
>>>/r9k/
>>>rmusic
>>
>>64562395
Lol PTH ain't djent m8. THose who are saying PTH ain't metal have a little bit of a point considering their punk influences. Its still metal but one of the few bands that kick ass due to them not trying to incorporate some "insert dumb shit"-core in their music (looking at you early BTBAM with your crappy deathcore influence).
>>
>>64562561
Observe the tone of our posts. There is only one person who is mad here.
>>
>>64558960
>>64559542
>>64562505
Hey what about posting actually good heavy technical stuff instead of virtuoso mallcore
>>
>>64562658
There is also one person that is not defending their band and is instead just trying to shitfling anonymously
>>
>>64560522
I actually liked this album a lot in high school
>>
>>64562505
It took a while for this one to grow on me. At first I really didn't think it was too impressive, but nowadays I think it holds up pretty well. I think it's their second best behind Fortress.

I didn't care so much for Scurrilous besides Sex Tapes and Reign of Unending Terror. Really don't like Keiza at all.
>>
>>64562710
There is no way to defend music at all. It is like trying to defend my favorite color. It is a practice in absurdity.

>>64562694
Try posting not their worst album to start with.
>>
File: Songs_in_the_key_of_life.jpg (135 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Songs_in_the_key_of_life.jpg
135 KB, 300x300
/mu/ seems to generally not give a shit about soul/r&b
>>
>>64562776
>There is no way to defend music at all. It is like trying to defend my favorite color. It is a practice in absurdity.

Are you retarded? A color isn't a work of art, art comes under scrutiny all the time and is the subject of many debates and arguments, possibly the most.

Again,

>>>/tv/
>>>/r9k/
>>>/v/
>>>/r/music

please get out if you're just going to sit here and say things like "that's not their best album" and then expect everyone to agree with you or nobody to defend their position, it's obvious you have the IQ and taste of a newborn child
>>
>>64562870
Yeah, it comes under scrutiny, but can you claim that all critics agree upon what makes music good?

The only time that this happens is within a community of like-minded individuals who all share the same values, but even then there are small discrepancies. Take for instance, /mu/. The opinions which are held here tend to have many common points, however, as we are experiencing now, there is disagreement.

Not only that, but there are ultimately many communities of people who do not share our values. Just take note of how many people listen to music that /mu/ disprove of. Talk to people that do not take part in music discussion on the internet at all, they will generally have musical tastes that are magnitudes different than people who do.

The fact that, as you have described, the subject of art and music is the topic of many debates and arguments only confirms my point. If there was any objectivity with music, then why, after all the argumentation, has no one decided upon what it is?
>>
>>64562144
Bahahaha this is funny because I actually have read it. It's a great book.
>>
>>64562144
Omg, just read the rest of the thread. Can't believe you got into it with some random guy for like, paragraphs on end lol
>>
>>64563072
>but can you claim that all critics agree upon what makes music good?

I never tried to make that claim and the obvious answer is "no", it's interesting to me that for some reason you decided to bring critics into this as if they ultimately have more say about the integrity of music than the common man, they certainly don't as music is more often than not a personal experience, it's all about the interaction with the soul of the individual.

What I was pointing out is that you simultaneously say defending music is pointless and absurd while claiming an album posted by someone else is "not the best". What are you trying to acheve by making that claim then if discussing the music and our opinions is pointless? Do you just post in the hopes of other anon's replying with "I agree" or "I don't agree" and leaving it at that? If you don't want to discuss and defend your tastes then you don't belong on this board plain and simple, even though it has become very apparent that this board is nothing more than a shell of its former self and now simply a hugbox for juveniles.

If you want likes and dislikes, upvotes and downvotes then go talk about music on reddit and facebook, but /mu/ is here for the discussion and recommendation of music.

>>64563186
I don't believe you and if you're lying you should read it, because it's excellent.

>>64563241
It bothers me that people like this post on /mu/, they're just taking up space in the hopes some internet stranger will make them feel better about their taste or something.
>>
>>64561827
not at all, just look through any thread related to girls or social interactions in general, most people are memeing virgins here. not all of us tho. just wanted to point out the wild innacuracy of that dudes claim
>>
>>64563315
>I never tried to make that claim
I never claimed that you tried to make that claim. I was simply asking you a question.

>obvious answer is "no"
I would agree.

>for some reason you decided to bring critics
I needed something to describe the people who, as you have put, "scrutinize art all of the time". Pick your favorite person who does this, critics, academics, people, potatoes, it wont make a difference to my argument.

Hence, all of the rest of your ramblings about critics are irrelevant, and consequently I will ignore them.

>What I was pointing out is...
My previous post was a counterpoint to your claim that "art is scrutinize" implies that art/music can be defended meaningfully. I don't think that it is impossible to like one album/band/whatever more than another, in fact I think it is very much possible. The point I am making is that it is impossible to defend music in any (logically) meaningful sense. The rest of your post is irrelevant speculation about my own opinions.
>>
File: burn.jpg (43 KB, 350x347) Image search: [Google]
burn.jpg
43 KB, 350x347
Probably not known by a lot of people but BURN were seminal in bringing jazzier elements into hardcore. One of the important acts in post-hardcore.
>>
File: slint untitled.jpg (32 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
slint untitled.jpg
32 KB, 500x500
Also seeing a lot of mathcore 'genre firsts' by Dillinger and The Chariot, they were long preceded by Slint's Untitled EP which is the earliest example I can think of, next to Converge I suppose.
>>
>>64563648
>>64563680
and of course since it's the early hours of the morning I have been posting in the wrong fucking thread this whole time.
>>
>>64562694
Lol DEP is one of the worst offenders of forced bullshit music. "Lol we cool cos we use 20 sided dice to decide our time signatures that sound like shit"
>>
>>64559411
Track 2 is fucking out of control... anyone got more like that style of math rock? Already know about Hella
>>
>>64562733
Honestly both can be an acceptable answer for their best album, but I prefer the more personal lyrics of Volition, plus it has Drumhead Trial and Mist, two absolute slayers.
>>
>>64563641
>The point I am making is that it is impossible to defend music in any (logically) meaningful sense.

Yes and the point I am making is that you don't belong here if you truly believe this. Some of us believe in the integrity of art and decide to defend it and discuss it, which is what this board is for. If you're here to simply state opinions then you need to leave, I don't see how it's a complicated thing.

Again, why post your opinions if they serve no purpose other than taking up space? You're somehow trying to claim that art is not capable of being defended while posting your opinions on a forum that discusses art, which is a contradiction. Again, use facebook if your only desire is to say "this is my opinion" and see how many likes and dislikes you get, if you want to actually have discussion about your opinions and why they have come to be as such then by all means, continue posting, but then you will still be a contradiction.
>>
>>64560526
Top 5 at least but when you have Hemispheres, Grace Under Pressure, Moving Pictures, and Permanent Waves above you thats not a bad thing.
>>
>>64563315
You don't have to believe me but I literally did a whole project on it in high school, Pretty sure my presentation was solely about the grand inquisitor, but my essay was about how each of the characters bore some responsibility for their father's murder. I don't remember exactly, it was almost a decade ago. Some of my favorite parts are book eleven and the whole scene with Ivan and the devil, and book six where we get Father Zosima's in text response to Ivan's parable of the grand inquisitor. Dmitri's descent into debauchery is fun, too.
>>
>>64564112
>the whole scene with Ivan and the devil

my nigga

the whole book is my favorite part though, seriously one of the greatest expressions of humanity I have ever witnessed
>>
File: witchcraft2.jpg (425 KB, 532x532) Image search: [Google]
witchcraft2.jpg
425 KB, 532x532
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE68udXLHgI
This album will forever be one of my favorites.
>>
>>64562867
>>
File: 51jpR8s9LsL.jpg (39 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
51jpR8s9LsL.jpg
39 KB, 500x500
>>
>>64563834
>Yes and the point I am making is that you don't belong here if you truly believe this
This makes no sense.

>Some of us believe in the integrity of art and decide to defend it and discuss it
Are we not having a discussion on it right now? Why do I have to believe in the theory that art has objectivity to discuss it in the first place? If anything, doesn't this limit your discussion in the most crucial of ways?

>If you're here to simply state opinions then you need to leave
You said it yourself. You are "believing" that art has integrity. Everything that you have written is an opinion. By your own standards, you need to leave.

>why post your opinions if they serve no purpose other than taking up space?
You can say this about anything, it is an absurd point.

>You're somehow trying to claim that art is not capable of being defended while posting your opinions on a forum that discusses art
"Art is not defendable" does not imply "I can't have an opinion about art". There is no contradiction.

The rest of your post is irrelevant or has been covered already.
>>
File: coupdetat.jpg (158 KB, 984x1000) Image search: [Google]
coupdetat.jpg
158 KB, 984x1000
>>64558960

Try this one.
>>
>>64564389
GOAT
>>
>>64562776
That's why i posted their best
>>64563738
Lol!
>>
File: download.jpg (9 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
9 KB, 225x225
>>64558960
>>64559542
Fucking great choices. Nice to see something other than Grimes, on here.
>>64559702
Fuck off, dickhead.

Corelia is Godly, check them out.
>>
>>64559614
I completely agreed with him about Parallax II being a 4/10, and Colors and The Great Misdirect are some of my favorite albums. It feels weird that I seem to be in the minority on this.
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 22

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.