[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So this is a rap musical about Alexander Hamilton co-staring
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
So this is a rap musical about Alexander Hamilton co-staring Daveed Diggs from clipping. It's corny right?
>>
>>64536620
I love it. It was my second favourite album of 2015. Go into it without any preconceptions and the Genius page open for each song and I think you'll like it too.

Also DIggs killed it, although the guy who played Aaron Burr was by far the best part.
>>
>>64536771
I listened to it. I thought it was cool at times, but as a rap fan it kind of reminded me of Epic Rap Battles of History or some shit.
>>
>>64536620
Fuck this nerd shit. IRL Hamilton was a mercantilistic dickhead who hated and and lived in fear of the common people. Much like all your founding fathers, two face cunts and brutal slavedrivers. But now he's a cool black man. He even lies down some of that 'Hip-Hop' the kids seem to dig nowadays. The american dream is real.
>>
i tried but i couldn't make it through the first track
>>
>>64536868
I am under no preconceived notions on Hamilton. He wanted to expand the executive power way more than would have been good for the country. That said, Jefferson is just as awful and Burr was the first populist.
Anyway the album rocks and the concept is great. Regardless of what you think about Hamilton's policy his story is amazing. Orphan immigrant becomes a war hero then creates America's first national bank. Pretty amazing rags to riches story.
>>
File: disgust.jpg (47 KB, 209x406) Image search: [Google]
disgust.jpg
47 KB, 209x406
>>64536620
>Rap musical
>>
>>64536620
Well, it's a musical...they kind of get off on being corny. I've been meaning to listen to this. I really want to hear a musical like this but about jesus. Sort of like Jesus Christ superstar but with more hip hop, funk, gospel, and R&B. Basically I want Jesus to be black af.
>>
I saw this about a month ago and I sat there drinking whisky sour's with my jaw on the floor.

Fun shit.
>>
I would probably love this musical more if I didn't know people who are obsessed with it

I don't particularly love musicals that try to take themselves seriously though. My favorite ones are usually the overly campy ones
>>
>>64537153
>I don't particularly love musicals that try to take themselves seriously though
It's like you've never even seen/heard it...
>>
>>64536966
"the album rocks" lmao
it's not a good rap album at all
>>64536771
why would i need the genius page the lyrics are obvious there's nothing dense about it
>>
>>64537217
I mean I know it's not it's a serious musical but it's not exactly campy
>>
My pleb friend is obsessed with this and insisted I listen to it. I found it painfully cheesy t h b
>>
If you can put aside the fanbase, this album is really enjoyable.
>>
>>64537220
cont. there's way better conceptual hiphop albums out there i don't know how anyone can see this as a good album

ex. the roots - undun
it's an existential retelling that illustrates the intersection of free will and prescribed destiny while actually being a good piece of music

i don't know why anyone would listen to a studio recorded musical at all
>>
>>64537536

>it's an existential retelling that illustrates the intersection of free will and prescribed destiny

okay but Hamilton isn't trying to do that shit, it's meant to be the story of an actual real important historical figures life, not some hippe fanasy bullshit. also How I Got Over is The Roots best album you pleb.

>>64536620

it is corny in a good way. it's completely self-aware, and that's what makes it so fun.
>>
>>64537536
cont. and people are like: dude if you like rap you gotta check out that hamilton musical album it's really good

it's the equivalent of like: yo i know you really like nirvana so i bet you'll love this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fZVA9TPwj8
>>
>>64537665
yeah its what people who dont like rap think is a good rap, everything perfectly enunciated and simple flows to make sure even the 80 year olds can follow along
>>
>>64536620
Definitely corny and not very good but i think its worth -a- listen, if can't make the show.

>>64537633
How I Got Over isn't really a concept album, and Things Fall Apart is the best Roots album you plen
>>
>Daveed Diggs played a major role in this

I am unironically never listening to clipping. again
>>
>>64537633
it's not the story that's the issue, it's the execution - it's not a good piece of music
and what >>64537769 said regarding the roots
>>
>>64537220
There aren't dense themes but there are allusions to old hip hop songs that are fun to find, like George Washington's closing line in the cabinet battle is from the Message by Grandmaster Flash.
I don't really wanna argue with someone being needlessly contrarian
>>
>>64536848
I think the main difference between Hamilton and the epic rap battles of history stuff is that you can tell the writer (writers?) of Hamilton actually gives a shit about hip-hop and appreciates the genre. There are a ton of references in Hamilton, both stylistically and blatantly, to the history of the genre. When I listen to Epic Rap Battles of History (which I rarely do so maybe Im way off), I dont get the impression that those guys know who Mobb Deep are, or that they give a shit about people like Nas and Grandmaster Flash, whereas Hamilton has direct references to these artists
>>
>>64536620
Some of the lyrics are a little corny, but a lot of it further proves that Miranda has an obscene talent for rhyming and wordplay. Overall I really enjoyed it and hope to see it someday.
>>
>>64536620
>It's corny right?
It's the fulfillment of every corny stereotype about musical theater mixing hip hop and high culture. You know that cliched gag in comedies where the out-of-touch theater director puts on the rap version of Shakespeare in order to connect with the disinterested kids? That's Hamilton, the single most corny and middlebrow event in recent pop culture history.

>>64537966
>it's good because there's hip hop references I recognize
This is your typical Hamilton fan.
>>
File: 1444598022523.jpg (28 KB, 434x424) Image search: [Google]
1444598022523.jpg
28 KB, 434x424
Finally got around to listening to Hamilton the other day.

Amazing. Fucking long though. Jesus
>>
>>64537938
how does that make it any better though

it's like when grimes' art angels leaked and the leaked copy i got had the "did the man who invented college go to college" and a whole bunch of other stuff like that edited into it,

it might be fun but it didn't make what's already there much better
>>
To everyone who actually likes Hamilton; What act do you prefer, 1 or 2?
I feel like a lot of the best songs are in act 2, but act 1 is *incredibly* consistent, whereas act 2 does falter in quite a few places
>>
>>64538240
>; W
Hamilton fans, everybody
>>
>>64536620
Fantastic musical! Better than the constant stream of shit Broadway has been putting out these last couple years. (Except The Book of Mormon)
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.