[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is this considered to be the best jazz album of all time?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2
File: black saint.jpg (326 KB, 1400x1400) Image search: [Google]
black saint.jpg
326 KB, 1400x1400
Why is this considered to be the best jazz album of all time?
>>
summoning GG
>>
>>64535002
Scaruffi
>>
Is it really? Not even my favorite Mingus. 3 tracks of girthy length make this a rough entry album to jazz but I can see how critics would swoon over it.

My favorite Mingus albums are Mingus Ah Um and The Clown.
>>
>>64535002
i have no idea. i absolutely loathe mingus. best jazz was made before the album era anyway.
>>
The narrative dynamic typical of Mingus' extended works is the essence of The Black Saint And The Sinner Lady (january 1963), ostensibly a six-movement ballet (divided into three "tracks" and three "modes") for big band (the three modes were squeezed into a single 17-minute track on the vynil version), and one of the masterpieces of 20th century's music. Scored for an orchestra of two trumpets, trombone, tuba, flute, baritone sax, guitar, alto (Charlie Mariano), piano (Jaki Byard), bass and drums, and painstakingly assembled by Mingus (even overdubbing several passages), it was, by definition, an exercise in colors: Mingus juxtaposed groups of instruments to maximize the contrast of tones, while using a shifting dynamic to lure ever-changing textures out of that jarring counterpoint. The resulting music was highly emotional, bordering on neurotic, merging the ancestral frustration of black slaves with the modern alienation of the urban middle class. The sense of universal tragedy was increased by the facts that instruments were clearly simulating human voices, whether the joyful singing of Mariano's sax or the sorrowful murmur of trumpet and trombone or the ghostly howls of tuba and baritone sax.
>>
>>64535002

It's not considered the greatest jazz album of all time though.
>>
>>64535002
Because there is particularly much random noise for a jazz fan to claim was not.
>>
>>64535069
>(even overdubbing several passages)

so it's not even real jazz. what a complete hack.
>>
That's not A Love Supreme
>>
>>64535066
You don't like modal jazz?
>>
it isn't
>>
>>64535140
no.
>>
Because he's totally ripping a bowl on the cover, brah. Tubular.
>>
>>64535002

Because it sounds cool.
>>
File: 1620033.jpg (48 KB, 500x507) Image search: [Google]
1620033.jpg
48 KB, 500x507
It shows a tighter grasp on texture and composition than most jazz can muster
Mingus is one of the all-time greats and Black Saint is a strong contender for his magnum opus
That said, it's wrong to put it on a pedestal
It's just one of the /mu/core scarufficore rymcore jazz essentials
There's plenty of jazz that deserves just as much praise (see pic)

>>64535066
>best jazz was made before the album era
said the philistine
>>
>>64535069
>shifting dynamic
>>64535069
>ever-changing textures
>>64535069
>jarring counterpoint

Hardly has a musician a privilege of being afforded complimentary euphemisms for 'he had no clue what he's doing' from critics as vague as that.

I remember when I first heard that album, I laughed out lout.
>>
>>64535162
that's tobacco
>>
People would say Kind of Blue or A Love supreme.

I love me some Mingus but that albums kinda odd to be considered the best of all time.
>>
>>64535229
I'm not sure if you're trying to be cringe worthy or if this is just how you are
>>
>>64535159
Well we see jazz very differently. I won't speculate as to why we have different tastes but I'm curious as to what you don't like about it. For me, modal has the most engaging melodies and I really love piano-driven jazz, which a lot of it is.
>>
>>64535302
I was just put in a good mood by how the >>64535069's review (probably not at all isolated in it) had to grasp at some cultural interpretations of what that album meant as filler.
>>
>>64535111
My man!
>>
>>64535297
This raises an interesting question: Should the most accessible albums from a genre be the most highly revered? This is pretty much the case with indie rock/pop.
>>
>>64535374
It definitely works this way with genres. Jazz is the most accessible genre and it is most highly revered indeed.
>>
>>64535402
D A N K
>>
>>64535374
Not necessarily but when an album is more accesible it means more people can agree that its good.
>>
>>64535333
i love the count basie band with lester young (1937-1939), billie holiday with teddy wilson, duke ellington blanton-webster era etc. louis armstrong with earl hines etc. etc.

bud powell modernists (powell, navarro, rollins, potter, haynes) from 1949 is pretty much the be all end all of jazz for me.
>>
Anyone have a link for this album? Thanks
>>
>>64535438
basically i like my jazz to have chord progression.
>>
>>64535438
Wow there anon, you just cinsidered Saint John and miles Davis to be non existent
Don't act like retard, you are making a fool of yourself
>>
Charles Mingus is barely even significant in the Jazz canon. He's only liked by outsiders really.
Fantano, Scaruffi, etc.
>>
>>64535524
i like some john coltrane (mainly because he had a great band).
>>
>>64535528
thats not true at all
>>
>>64535222
Thanks for this one laddo, i was looking for some nice trombone jazz
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.