[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Kind of bummed at how bad this is.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 118
Thread images: 11
File: views.jpg (47 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
views.jpg
47 KB, 600x600
Kind of bummed at how bad this is.
>>
What don't you like about it?
>>
>>64490570
An entire album of "for the ladies" tracks is boring.
>>
>>64490552
Drake's albums are always meant to be listened to over again, and then you realize every song is a hit
>>
>>64490578
How can you listen to tracks like Redemption and not get a little introspective?

The production on the entire album is absolutely fantastic. Seems like you need to get past this perception that the album is catering to some "for the ladies" shit
>>
>>64490578
except its not? theres only a handful like any drake record
i still think IYRTITL is better but im biased because i like the chopped and screwed type slow beats
>>
>>64490588
this
after listening to IYRTITL multiple times i like all of the tracks on there but i do still have my favoirtes
im warming up to some of the tracks on views i wasnt too fond of at first
>>
>>64490552
I've always thought he was a ridiculous doofus. The idea that Drake has ever been worth serious critical examination is absurd. He's fucking Stevie B.
>>
>>64490648
have you ever listened to Take Care or NWTS all the way through?
>>
>>64490648
>He's fucking Stevie B.

lol killed him bro, he's done, if only you were meek mill's ghost writer
>>
>>64490667
I don't like anything he's done.
>>
>>64490668
Jesus, get a fucking grip.
>>
>>64490704
i didnt like him when best i ever had came out but then i listened to his so far gone mixtape and have liked most of his songs since
>>
>>64490578
Notice the difference between albums and mixtapes.

His albums with all always fit in his traditional Drake style, and his mixtapes will always be
just him flexin.

Hence, "you gettin bodied by a singing nigga"
>>
>>64490819
back to back wasnt on a mixtape though
he releases a lot of songs in between albums and mixtapes that most people dont catch on to. I feel like his mixtapes are more cohesive and could be albums. Especially IYRTITL the whole mixtape had that chopped and screwed vibe. Views isnt as cohesive
>>
>>64490552
So did you mean you were hoping any Drake album it's good? Oh ok, I see what went wrong.
>>
File: eEOWIxC.png (60 KB, 450x529) Image search: [Google]
eEOWIxC.png
60 KB, 450x529
>>
i just heard the end verse on redemption, made me realize that in my first listens i was so pumped for something similar to IYRTITL that i didnt realize how great what i got was, this shit is growning on me heavy.
>>
Its literally just a Drake album. No amount of flashy marketing or memetic music videos is going to stop it from being just a Drake album.

All things considered, basic bitches and fuckboys don't really get catered to in the music industry as much as the next guy. Sure, there's pop radio, but even the hedonistic wearers of the snapback grow weary from that. Let them have their little victories, as few and far between as they may be.
>>
>>64491097
what video are those comments from?
>>
>>64491176
It's Twitter, idiot.
>>
>>64491175
ay so much elitism

get a grip baby boy, music doesn't determine identity
>>
>>64490729
I'll have to give his mixtapes a listen, because I don't like a single thing of his that gets any radio play. It's just pop.

Does he have a different flow on his tapes?
>>
>expecting Drake to be good
lol
>>
This album's a slow burner, I'm not surprised that people are struggling to digest 85 minutes worth of content, no matter how good it is.

but when they do...
>>
>>64490552
>listening to Drake
>>
>>64491628
>>64491659
Plebs. Leave this thread.
>>
>>64490667
That's old drake though
>>
imo the album just feels lifeless. i'm not at all trying to say i just wanted generic IYRTITL-esque bangers and no introspection, but i dunno, it feels like drake expected the production to carry this project, there's very few points where he actually sounds charismatic or genuine in what he's saying. on the last few projects, you believed he felt what he was saying, now it just seems like he's meandering and reading off a checklist of "drake lyrics". also the features are all pretty worthless besides future (no doubt grammys was just a leftover from the WATTBA sessions), it would've benefited from a wayne or the weeknd feature, or pretty much anyone who can actually sound like they give a shit that they're on a drake song. the features are so lackluster it just feels like it's 20 tracks of drake repeating the same monotonous shit over brilliant production. there are so many sounds, it shouldn't sound as repetitive as it does.
>>
>>64491849
>i'm not at all trying to say i just wanted generic IYRTITL-esque bangers and no introspection
starting off strong m8

>there are so many sounds, it shouldn't sound as repetitive as it does
"repetitive" doesn't make sense here. percentage wise it probably has the least features of any album. i suppose that's the point of features
but it's a long album, so it's understandable you can get tired of drake's voice if you listened to it all the way through, but that's different than saying he's just repeating himself
>>
I really like U with me for some reason.
>>
>>64491900
yeah, i've given it only two listens at this point, so maybe i'll feel different once i spin it as a whole a few more times. right now it just feels like there was a lot more covered topic-wise on his previous projects. there's not a lot covered here that he hasn't done better before, i suppose that's why people are saying he's playing it safe.

i really want to like this album, but it's just such a downgrade from everything else he's done. just my opinion though, and as i said, it'll most likely change in the future.
>>
Objective rating: 5/10
>>
>>64491628
>being this pretentious

Sorry about that baby dick
>>
a few tracks in, feelin like a 6/10
>>
>>64490552
The best song on the albums doesn't even have Drake in it
I'm talking about Summers Over Interlurde
>>
>>64492507
go back to ktt or hiphopheads
>>
>>64493866
ok
>>
Second half is miles better than first. First half is 6/10 second is 8.5/10
>>
>>64491900
i think their point is there's so much variety in style on this project (grammys, keep the family close, feel no ways) but they still all sound the same. it's like listening to a "best of" compilation of songs we've heard of his previous efforts.
>>
this album is so boring
>>
>>64490578
those are his best tracks faggot
>>
>>64495558
That tells me more about him than anything else. He would sell his jew mom for some talent and voice. The Weekend is everything Drake wanted to be, a singer connected with rap and underground.
>>
Most of his songs don't make sense until after a couple plays
>>
THIS SHIT DOESN"T SLAP MY NIGGA
>>
>>64495558
So you call him a faggot, yet you're defending that all his best tracks are the ones geared towards women? Gotcha.

Drake is a bitch and all his songs are meant for women to cry to after their man dumps them. Maybe its a generational thing, but I just don't see how people enjoy most of Drake's music. Hotline Bling was a good summer song to jam to, even if it lacked substance. This entire album is garbage. I was hoping the song with Future would be good but its just him saying "Grammy" over and over and over and over and over and over. Pop style has the best beat, but even that song should only be on a mix tape.

Again, Drake is for bitches. Men don't need to be listening to this gay junk.
>>
>>64490552
Why the fuck did he poorly shoop himself into the album cover?
>>
>>64495634
I agree pham. The Weeknd is infinitely better than what Drake attempts to do. I can put on the Weeknd when I'm fucking and not feel the need to ask my gf is peg me with a strap on if I were listening to Drake.
>>
>>64496506
I'm not defending drake, but at least this album cover isn't a disaster like his mix tape with Future or TLOP.
>>
>>64496543
You are acting as if TLOP doesn't have some of the most interesting cover art in a long while.

Even if it went over your head, it was a game changer, and I can't really remember the last time someone that influental went with such a purely artistic cover. Oh wait, I remember: Kanye did it with Yeezus.

My point being that Kanye, even if I think he's a pretty shitty musician these days, has begun treating his covers more like a part of the music/artwork, instead of simply being fancy packaging.
>>
>>64490552
>kinda bummed at how bad Drake and his fans are.

ftfy moose fucker
>>
>>64496980
Could you explain why the artwork from TLOP was a game changer
>>
>>64490617
Drake is pseudo-introspective. It's a huge gimmick and I can't believe you fall for it. There was one line about how his thoughts are too deep that it's useless to go to a psychiatrist or something... Would anyone with actual depth in their metaphysical contemplations actually proclaim such a thing?
>>
>>64496980
>album artwork made in 5 minutes on microsoft paint is a game changer
Seriously?
>>
>>64490578
>An entire album of "for the ladies" tracks.

I don't like saying stuff like this on this board, but it's almost like you didn't really even listen to it.
>>
>>64497201
>>64497201
>Pseudo-introspective.
That isn't a real thing.

>It's a huge gimmick.

Even if his thing is being introspective, there's nothing wrong with that. People relate to him.

>There was one line about how his thoughts are too deep that it's useless to go to a psychiatrist or something... Would anyone with actual depth in their metaphysical contemplations actually proclaim such a thing?

He was being facetious. But that aside? Yeah. Some people would. Not everyone feels comfortable with letting a psychiatrist in. Some people feel like their thoughts are unclean and are ashamed of that. Some people feel like it just won't help.
>>
>>64490578
Are you autistic
>>
>>64491191
yeah but what video?
>>
File: tlop.jpg (1 MB, 2000x2003) Image search: [Google]
tlop.jpg
1 MB, 2000x2003
>>64497092
>>64497672

Sure. As a graphic designer myself, this shit facinates me alot, so I could be writing about it all day, but I'll try to make this as short as possible.

Most cover art, expecially from big artists, is just fancy packaging, an image to represent the body of work that the packaging contains, etc. Sometimes it's really basic, like asap fergs always strive and prosper, which basically is just a bw image of him. Not much to analyze. Sometimes it is a bit more interesting, like drake's views which is a homage to the city, represents drake being on top of the world, all alone, etc. still flat though.

What Kanye does so well these days though, is that he treats the covert art as a part of the whole body of work, and by that I don't just mean the music. The aesthetic is part of a much larger whole, fitting his clothing, his music, and whatever else his doing. The idea of sampling/repetition/sharing seeps through all of his work right now, and you can see that in the way he makes his songs, with a ton of collaborators, sampling (which is basically taking something and using it to make something new with it), or even when he took a whole song from desiigner and made it into somehting slightly different by adding a new intro and some extra details.

Much in the same way, the cover art for TLOP invited people to create something from it. It was basically just a framework for you to run with it, a set of tools or samples if you will. Not just a single piece of art to differentiate it from other covers. The fact that he released another cover art right afterwards with a different image, different layout and text, yet undoubtably in the same vein, proves this. Just hours after, the whole meme-generator thing where you could make your own cover popped up, as did the leaked albumcover art, and many other examples of people taking the tools he provided to remix the artwork, samle it, change it slighty, ie make it their own.

(1/2)
>>
>>64496518
You really shouldn't open up on /mu/
>>
>>64498206

contd. (2/2)

Sure, a lot of the people making their own versions did so with a meme-generator and probably meant it as a joke. But that doesn't change that he made a visual language that anyone could replicate to make their own versions. And that basically represents what he has talked about the last few years when it comes to a democratic approach to art (even though he's too retarded to understand that people can't afford his clothes, he always talks about how he loves H&M and Zara for their democratic approach to clothing aka everyone can afford it).

I mean, just consider the fact that he used a collage artist called Peter de Potter to create the artwork. The whole principle behind collages is basically the principle behind his style of production (sampling work from everywhere and putting it together in new ways), and also represents his views of everyone being able to create art, and that whole democracy thing again.

Now you have a situation where anyone can create their own thing using the tools he provided and you'll immedialy know that it is about TLOP. Lots of websites don't even bother to use the real official cover art when writing about the album, they instead opt to use fan made versions. How often does that happen? To me, it's pretty obvious that Kanye has opened up a whole new way of thinking about cover art for lots of people and new emerging artists (should be noted that I know this is not the first time this idea has been explored, but it's the first time in this scale by such a big artist). And in my eyes, that makes it a game changer.

Kanye basically made his album artwork into a collaborative effort including everyone. And it's not even the first time he tried to do that. He also tried it with the Yeezus cover art, when he asked people "please add grafitti" to the minimalistic packaging of that album.

Hope that explains my views a bit. I know I analyze this shit way more than most people, but it's what I do for a living.
>>
>>64498556
>>64498206
call your mother to tuck you in
>>
>>64498556
I totally agree, and when I see kneejerk reactions that the cover is ugly, I can tell someone doesn't know anything about design.

Too bad the music wasn't that good.
>>
>>64498637

enjoy ur ignorance m8
>>
File: FB_IMG_1461546122084.jpg (54 KB, 1223x960) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1461546122084.jpg
54 KB, 1223x960
>>64498556

LMAO
JUST LMAO
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (114 KB, 1240x812) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
114 KB, 1240x812
>>64498206
>>64498556
Right, whatever you say, Autismus Maximus.
>>
>>64498206
>>64498556
>needing a thinkpiece to justify why something is good
>>
I like it, it's pretty solid, don't listen to it expecting his typical dis tracks
>>
>>64498764
My thoughts exactly. Sadly, the kind of crazy that makes Kanye so ambitious does not translate well into good music.
>>
>>64491097
>twitter
>people who care about the grammy's

ick.
>>
>>64498836
>>64498818
>>64498826

You've never studied art or design, did you?
>>
>>64498811
enjoy being an autistic pedantic faggot
>>
>>64498930
enjoy my cock in your mouth lmao
>>
>>64498916
No, I've studied music, that's why I can tell TLOP is shit and your posts are pure blurb.
>>
>>64498916
>someone who studied art holding himself higher than anyone

what a surprise

It's fucking text and two pictures over an orange background, just because you aren't creative enough to do it doesn't make it genius. It's not a big deal. Enough paragraphs filled with shit no one cares about.
>>
>>64498989

Good for you, but if you read any of it, you'd figure out that I was talking about the cover art and not the album, which I agree was shit.

Maybe don't open your mouth about things you don't understand. Like design.
>>
>>64499067
Get off your high horse you fucking asshole.
>ITS GOOD CUZ U CAN MEME IT XDDDD
>ORANGE BACKGROUND WITH TEXT WHO COMES UP WITH THIS STUFF XPPPP GENIUS XDDDDDDD

You're almost as pretentious as kanye
>>
>>64499054
>It's fucking text and two pictures over an orange background

Egon Schiele just made badly drawn humans.

William Basinski just made a few sounds loop a lot.

Jackson Pollock just threw paint on a canvas.
>>
jesus who let reddit in. all this drake dicksucking has gotta be contagious
>>
>>64499158
Yes and at the time those were unique and interesting. Now it's just lazy and shitty.
>>
>>64499138
>>ITS GOOD CUZ U CAN MEME IT XDDDD

Goddamn it, how do you function in society. Everything is fucking memeable but that doesn't mean it's good.

Fuck me, everytime I try to engage in a discussion on this board every little autistic kid goes crazy. Why do I never learn.
>>
>>64499138
pretty low bar for pretentiousness if pop rap qualifies. You listen to real workin' class music like Wiz Khalifa?
>>
>>64499158
This guy just compared the cover art with Egon Schiele everyone. I know you want to think you're really cultured and "understand" the art but it's really just orange background with text. More is to be said about the choice of pictures than the rest.
>>
>>64499237
Way to miss the point.
>>
>>64490819
hes a much better rapper than a singer though. the nigga can barely sing.
>>
>>64499254
Here come the kanye dickriders.

You're seriously trying to act like Kanye doesn't act pretentious?

>>64499251
Your argument for why the art was good was because it's memeable and "reflects the music" which 99 percent of album covers do.
>>
>>64490588
>people actually saying that drake albums take a few listens to ''get''

jesus christ, we're talking about one of the biggest pop stars right now, not musique concrète
>>
>>64499261
No I didn't, I used exaggerated examples to show you that making things sound simple doesn't mean the concept/idea is simple.

Try again.
>>
>>64499138
Goddamn, I don't even like the cover but you sound like the kind of person who dismisses Ingmar Bergman because "haha it's just meaningless black and white shit there's no entertainment".. end yourself, my man.
>>
>>64498206
>>64498556
personally, i appreciate your analysis, anon. screenshotted
>>
>>64499303

Read it again.
>>
>>64490552
It's amazing that two days after release the album is already an afterthought
>>
File: Cornrow kenny vs Drizzy Drake.jpg (87 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Cornrow kenny vs Drizzy Drake.jpg
87 KB, 800x600
>WHAT ARE THOOOOOOOOOOOSEEEEE

I cringed so hard. Drake is just a fad, no one will remember him in 5 years. He is gonna be the new Chris Brown. Drake is the most safe, repetitive, and boring rapper ever,
>>
File: 1340122613071.png (195 KB, 367x451) Image search: [Google]
1340122613071.png
195 KB, 367x451
>>64498989
>i studied music
>>
>>64499337
w o w I went to art class in high school too any other names you want to namedrop bro?

>>64499326
just continue riding ye's dick pls.
>He's REALLY A GENIUS!!! XD
>>
>>64499251
You're no better than anybody just for having studied design. I'm a fucking engineer and I can say that the cover is just crap and that you're fucking pretentious for saying that is like modern art or sth. Just go be a prick to a museum for fuck's sake.
>>
>>64491175
>just a Drake album
>just
He's the biggest hip-hop artist right now. Love him or hate him, this album is relevant to the entire music industry at the moment. Nigga is makin more waves than Ye and Beyoncé atm
>>
>>64499387
chris brown has been active for about 11 years and he's only 26, which is three years younger than drake.

what a retarded post.
>>
>>64499425
in civilized countries music is a degree
>>
>>64499506
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

oh fuck are you actually serious? hahaha fucking hell you deluded little shitbag hahahaha
>>
y'all stupid.
>>
>>64499506
Not him but enjoy living in your cardboard box
>>
>Disliking one aspect about something means it's okay to trash absolutely all of it.
>>
>>64491175
>fuckboys
you're white and it's not cool when you say that, just really cringy
>>
>>64490552
You should've seen it coming honestly
>>
File: image.jpg (10 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
10 KB, 250x250
>>64491670
>listens to Drake
>calls other people plebs
>>
>>64490552
thoughts on his cheesecake line?
corny lyrics are part of drake's charm though, right?
>>
>>64499534
what's wrong with you?
>>
>>64499437
>Just because you studied design doesn't mean you understand design

Also
>I'm a fucking engineer and I can say that the cover is just crap and that you're fucking pretentious for saying that is like modern art or sth
What does being an engineer have to do with being able to evaluate art? You're probably just some pissed off high schooler who irrationally hates Kanye
>>
>>64500430
You're too full of yourself, bro
>>
>>64496980
You realize the album art wasn't done by Kanye and was done by an artist whose art consists mostly of his uncircumcised dick, right? Dumb faggot
>>
>>64499919
I loved that shit.
>>
>>64490617
redemption is GOAT

one of the best on the album t b h
>>
>>64501258
like because it was funny, or because it provoked a deep sense of emotion from you
>>
>>64499432
>Ingmar Bergman is somehow obscure or some shit
nigga r u stupid
>>
>>64498556
>Kanye basically made his album artwork into a collaborative effort including everyone.
Cause and effect. His artwork was a collaborative effort because internet LOVES to mock stuff. Considering how popular Kanye is, it is obvious that any exploitable cover will be modified.
Hell, look at the image in /mu/'s sticky. Same thing with different audience.
>>
>>64501630
It was hilarious.
>>
Gahdamn

I'm glad I stopped coming here a while ago.

ITT people who think that their opinions are valid because of anonymity.

> it's just a fucking orange square, it doesn't mean anything guise

Jesus art is dead
Thread replies: 118
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.