[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is your local music scene like?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 2
File: Local Music.jpg (185 KB, 1280x722) Image search: [Google]
Local Music.jpg
185 KB, 1280x722
What is your local music scene like?
>>
>>64478399
straight edge faggots
and edmbros
>>
>>64478399
I have no idea because I'm a socially phobic shut in with no friends.
>>
As more people move into our city, more bigger artist come through while on tour.
Can't complain
>>
>>64478399
Bluegrass and covers of Tom Petty and lame rock like that
>>
Hardcore and metal and edm
>>
Mainly indie and alt rock

Metal gets scattered in occassionally
>>
>>64478399
>What is your local music scene like?

its like none of your business !
>>
>>64478608
Let me guess, it's super shitty?
>>
>>64478399
Mostly butt rock bands and there's still a fair amount of "Metalcore" shit bands hanging on. City was ruled by those bands for about a decade and it's finally starting to die out.

The college town just south of here has a pretty average Indie Rock scene though and I've seen some nice bands play down there.
>>
>>64478399

Des Moines, IA.

http://sumppumprecords.bandcamp.com/

Ain't a bad record on the page.
>>
>>64478578
>indie and alt rock

How can you tell the difference?
>>
wannabe rappers and indie shit
>>
dadrock cover bands, high school kids doing alt rock probably, and one guy who does grindcore
>>
>>64478961
>wannabe rappers
the other day i was at a movie theater and I saw the worst music AND music video ever playing as an ad before the movie. here it is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUeP1nttjPo
>>
>>64478426
>straight edge faggots

Like those straight edge bands or people who are just straight edge?
>>
>>64478399
bluegrass festivals all year
>>
>>64478440
>socially phobic

>doubly affixing a phrase ('-ly' '-ic')

If I could, I'd be your friend, anon.
>>
I'm not even sure if we have one here
where should I go to look?
>>
>>64478426
>straight edge faggots
like minor threat?
>>
>>64478440
>socially phobic
>not saying anti social
>>
>>64478440
/thread

but desu i dont even know
mostly shitty reggae/reggaton
>>
A few years ago it was all shitty metalcore bands, but it appears that emo revival has started to catch on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25ys_OY3UqI
>>
>>64478399
There are a couple okay bands but nothing very original. It all sounds like stuff I've heard elsewhere even when it's multiple genres.
Pretty large amount of bands though.
Cleveland area.
>>
We used to have a cool punk scene but somehow its morphed into just generic rock. Lots of minor pentatonic solos, power chords, songs about zombies, dragons, dinosaurs, the whole ironic but simultaneously not ironic childish thing going on.
>>
>>64478399
Metalcore, metal, doom metal, a very light scene of jazz, and just your usual indie.

It's ok I guess, mainly just go to local acts with friends.
>>
I live in LA county so a bunch of psych revival, garage rock, and folk but also some good noise groups and rap
>>
>Metallica cover band made entirely of high schoolers
>70-something year olds who play pop country
Cringe to be honest
>>
>>64479851
We had a dubstep/techno/deathcore band that wrote nothing but Pokemon songs for a while.
Imagine deathcore vocals, WUB WUB WUB WUB, lots of looped synths, plus Pokemon cries and Pikachu costumes.
>>
File: 1461877996552.jpg (10 KB, 185x185) Image search: [Google]
1461877996552.jpg
10 KB, 185x185
>tfw when your local music scene invented an entire genre

I'm no lewronggenerationer, but part of me wishes I could go back and witness the development of jazz.
>>
>>64479995
Do people still play Jazz at your local music scene?
>>
>CT

Shitty emo and indie. Anything decent goes to MA/RI/NY.

Toad's Place used to have cool stuff, but now it's all no-name hip hop.
>>
>>64480070
God i even live right on the shore and ct is still boring as fuark
>>
We have tons of metal and hip-hop. Anything goes of course but those particularly thrive.
>>
>>64478399
Like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9WWaxxMCwA
>>
it's about to get a whole lot better once i start busting out these tracks
>>
A lot of bluegrass and country, with one odd deathcore band, a member of whom also playing dungeon synth.
>>
>>64479582
Both HXC is popular here and we have christian Hardcore also

>>64479646
nah I wish more like converge without talent
>>
>>64479951
oh god
>>
>>64479951
Please, tell me there's video.
>>
How do you guys find places? There's like no good websites and it's a pain to scrape Facebook for venues that still exist.
>>
Incredible pretentious people who are honestly insufferable to be around. The music is usually shitty indie or emo. I honestly can't stand anyone in the local music scene, but I guess I'm pretentious and a piece of shit as well so maybe I belong here.
>>
>>64480461
All of my local venues have websites that are updated fairly regularly.
But mostly I check music news sites for tour announcements and the like. chorus.fm (formerly absolutepunk) is pretty good for this.
>>
>>64480556
I'll check that out, cheers!
>>
>>64479686
HUBBUR BUR BAR BUR BLAR BLA BLA BLAAR BU-BU-BU BAH BLAR BUH BLAR BLAAR
>>
I dont know, theres just a bunch of pop punk bands.
>>
>>64478399
Pretty fuckin' terrible. It's populated mostly by aloof and sanctimonious hardcore kids, and then everyone else is a bunch of old fogeys who're into either traditional folk and jazz. Trap Them and Defeater are orginally from my state, though, so that's something (Defeater sucks, though).
>>
>>64480070
>>64480139
It really does suck, most of the places around my area are pay to play too.

I'd have to go all the way across the river to find decent places to gig.
>>
>>64479642
welp shit
I found my local scene
not good news f.a.mdems
>http://www.asylumchelmsford.co.uk/whats-on/
>>
>>64480556
>>64480592
There's also ReverbNation you can use to see if there's any local bands near you.
>>
Scenes are brewing beyond the small niche they had a couple years ago, even if that's showing to degrade the average quality among the best ones.

>teenage folk pop is the trendiest right now
>experimental eletronics are getting kickstarted into the popular circles, there's always been a religiously devoted group
>psych/stoner/other degrees of trippy rock
>the hardcore metal scene is finally dying , giving way to the 3 scenes mentioned above.
>>
>>64478399
nonexistent
i live in a town where people either think you need a degree in musical composition to be in a band or that you "need to learn how to play punk rock"

there's like 2 bands from my town that releases music on bandcamp and they're both solo projects
>>
Cincinnati resident here.

All the coolest under ground stuff here play at this place called Tacocracy, its a fricking taco bar
>>
How do you find the stuff that play in people's basements/old storage lockers/etc.? I've seen everything that plays in rock bars around here and it's all whiny indie.
>>
>>64482179
get a basement or find someone that does
>>
>>64482288

Hey, I happen to have a shitty basement. Now what?
>>
>>64482315
get some kind of mic/amp set up and hold open nights
>>
ABQ

Our music scene is fucking weird. It's diverse, sure, sepending on what you're looking for. But there's a strange phenomenon - when a scene (taking for example, this crustpunk-folk-indie-ambient crap thats been around the last 2 years) blossoms, it picks up speed, keeps a steady pace, and then someone diddles the wrong person and then the scene dies.

We have a saying here. Whatever is popular on the far east/west coast, it takes two years to hit us. But ABQ kids act like they're the center of musical culture, when it's either a bunch of tryhard plebs or serious musicians who want to be "different" so bad they aren't relatable.

Oh, yeah, everyone gets fucked up and listens to drone and SJW indie too. Not to mention Chicano music.

And we wonder why every tour skips us
>>
A bunch of shitty metal bands who are always fighting with each other. Dad rock cover bands who are always fighting with each other. Cringey folk punk kids. Bland indie folk/bluegrass bands. Reggae djs' who just talk or rap over Bob Marley songs. A bunch of old people who meet in a bookshop and have bluegrass jam sessions, these are the only enjoyable shows since the old folks are in it for the music and aren't dicks to each other or their audience. All the other scenes are too busy fighting amongst themselves.
>>
>>64478426
the man lies you're from london?
>>
>>64479023
Holy shit that mexican cholo guy in the beginning was awful. He wasn't on the beat at all.
>>
we got 50 year old led zeppelin cover bands, juggalo rappers and mexican bands that are completely indistinguishable from every other mexican band in the history of the world
>>
>>64483265
>50 year old led zeppelin cover bands
Speaking of which, you guys ever had Lez Zeppelin play in your area?
>>
>>64479681
*asocial
if you're going to correct someone at least have some fucking clue what you're talking about
>>
>>64482742
Good to know the old folk knows what is important.
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.