[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can someone explain the appeal of prog rock to me? I've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 5
File: 1461817460954.jpg (25 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1461817460954.jpg
25 KB, 500x500
Can someone explain the appeal of prog rock to me? I've tried listening to this a few times and I'm really not getting it, do people actually enjoy it or is it some kind of faux elitist genre people pretend to like?
>>
If you're only listening to albums like pic related then stop listening to shitty modern prog and try some classics
>>
>>64475017
You're on the right page. As with most genres, if you don't personally like it, it usually means that the people who do like it have inauthentic reasons for enjoying it.
>>
File: Cover.jpg (700 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
Cover.jpg
700 KB, 1000x1000
Listen to the better era of Porcupine Tree

Also nice copypasta
>>
porcupine tree isn't prog its shitty nu-prog alt-rock garbage that is just tool-influenced metal

listen to yes and van der graaf generator
>>
>>64475061
yeah this guy gets it.

I mean, I listened to like 2 prog albums and they were rubbish so I think it's pretty safe to assume that all prog is equally rubbish and that all prog fans are just closed-minded elitists yeah?
>>
>>64475017
I'm a Porcupine Tree fan and I don't listen to that album that much to be honest. I recommend following >>64475035
and listening to some older albums first. Try listening to albums like Genesis' Trick of the Tail or Wind and Wuthering.

Also >>64475089
is undeniably the best PT album.
>>
>>64475114
>its shitty nu-prog alt-rock garbage that is just tool-influenced metal
Agreed. I don't like PT so I just describe them with a bunch of other unrelated things I also dislike. Can't believe a band as great as Yes would let Steven Wilson remaster their albums. Now they just sound like shitty nu-prog alt-rock garbage that is just tool-influenced metal.

>>64475115
Pretty much.
>>
>>64475162
if you dont think that porcupine tree are tool influenced, have an alt rock influence and are nu-prog then what the fuck are you doing
>>
>>64475154
Prog fans don't "listen" to albums so much as they just put their headphones on and touch their dicks every time a time signature changes

>Genesis' Trick of the Tail or Wind and Wuthering
Waste of time
>>
marillion are great neo-prog, listen to them
>>
Since prog is very diverse, you could try telling us what you like and I'll try to give you a suggestion
>>
>>64475201
They'd be chaffing in minutes if that were the case. Actually, that's a pretty accurate description of Dream Theater's music.
>>
>>64475201
>genesis are a waste of time
LOL
>>
>>64475221
Prog is not diverse since it's all based on jamming together random compositional devices with no editing or premeditation.

I like good music but don't waste your time or mine with suggestions. Prog rock is always a waste of time.
>>
>>64475180
If you actually want to have a conversation about this, they made a couple of semi-metal and alt-rock albums, but their discography (and Steven Wilson's in general) is much more varied than you give it credit for. Tool-influenced isn't a bad thing, either. Even fucking Robert Fripp admitted the last few King Crimson albums were influenced by Tool.

New Prog, which is what you're probably referring to, is bands like Coheed and Cambria or The Mars Volta who come from an alternative rock or post-hardcore background that isn't traditionally associated with prog. PT, on the other hand, started out making space rock very much in the Pink Floyd lineage.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubPDWJ1l-LI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRA9ug9dzRs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ia1eQ0W6Rw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-G2WZ1Skvs
>>
>>64475276
If you're the op, you literally asked for an explanation of the prog appeal based on your listening on one album and it is diverse, if you think it's all random then I'm sorry to say that you don't have any musical knowledge or listening skills at all.
>>
>>64475306
>Even fucking Robert Fripp admitted the last few King Crimson albums were influenced by Tool.
And everybody agrees that they are awful albums
>>
>>64475361
Of course a prog rock fan would be so simpleminded as to simply insult anyone trying to trying to explain the truth to him. Of course it takes no musical knowledge or listening skills at all to "understand" prog rock. It is all time signatures and wank jammed together and then praised as a "masterful composition" by teenage boys who play drums in their high school marching band and have never studied real music.
>>
>>64475346
this is some good stuff anon, thanks
>>
>>64475372
What's bad about them?
>>
>>64475439
All prog is bad anon. The myth of their "superior composition" that is worshiped by acne covered teenage boys is the only thing keeping the genre alive
>>
>>64475418
>>64475276
For the information of all posters ITT, those posts are just a satire of my criticism of jazz from other threads. Some jazz fan thought for some reason it's a good idea to lash back at prog which I admitted to liking without making that satire clear enough; I apologize for him.
>>
The Steve hogarth marillion albums are a better alternative to porcupine tree
>>
>>64475482
Oh, thanks for enlightening me. What should I listen to instead?
>>
>>64475418
>calls me simple minded
>won't listen to anything that has to do with prog because he didn't like one album

lmao and I didn't even insult you, just told you the truth
>>
>>64475486
Of course a prog rock fan's only defense when presented with the truth is that it must just be satire. How closed-minded must you be to not be able to accept the truth when it is plainly put right in front of you?
>>
>>64475516
I refuse to post my tastes because it will just give you an excuse for everybody in the thread to call it bad taste and distract from the relevant issue at hand.
>>
>>64475562
The way you put it, it's a matter of objectivity rather than taste. I don't see why you shouldn't post the music you consider to be better than prog, and even explaining why you consider it to be better.
>>
>>64475524
I have listened to enough prog to see through the myth of "good composition" and "good musicianship" that all prog bands pride themselves on and that all prog fans blindly accept as the pinnacle of music.
>>
>>64475598
I don't worship prog, it's just a good genre, another good genre out of many good genres.
>>
>>64475596
*sigh*

I suppose you'll force me to repeat myself but it would just be a distraction from the issue at hand. I prefer good music because it has actual substance and doesn't rely on cheap gimmicks and "unique" structures to impress listeners.
>>
>>64475656
We don't need to see your obvious pleb taste in music anyway, don't worry
>>
>>64475640
Admitting that you think prog is "good" is the same thing as worshiping it because that is the only way listeners can relate to the genre.
>>
>>64475686
Good, because it's clear your entire defense simply relies on hurling meaningless insults at me anyway.
>>
>>64475707
If I say anything is good, then I automatically worship it? Well then it looks like I worship thousands of things in the world, I don't even know how I can have so much time in my hands to do it.
>>
>>64475656
Surely it would illustrate your point to show us music that is better than prog. After all, how can something be "bad" if we don't have a reference point for "good"?
>>
King Crimson and Jethro Tull are the only prog worth listening to.

Most of it is just baked out fucking around with synths for 10 mins.
>>
Fuck you all, I enjoy In Absentia
>>
>>64475750
I can't speak about your worshiping habits toward other things in the world but the only way a prog fan can relate to the music is through mindless worship of what he is told is a "complex composition" or a "technically demanding" passage of music.
>>
>>64475735
That wasn't even me, and I didn't even know you were the other guy, wat
>>
>>64475753
>Surely it would illustrate your point to show us music that is better than prog.
Maybe but mostly it would just be a distraction.
>After all, how can something be "bad" if we don't have a reference point for "good"?
Easy. Imagine a newborn baby just seconds out of the womb. This baby has no experiences or perception of reality or references of good or bad. Now let's say you punched the baby as hard as you could in the gut. Don't you think that the baby would register this sensation as "bad" even with no perception of what is "good"?

It's much the same way with prog. A progfan's perception of prog as "good" is only based on what society expects him to be impressed with in terms of instrumental technique and compositional devices.
>>
>>64475809
Nobody told me it was complex, I liked the sound of Pink Floyd in my early adolescence and moved on to searching more of the genre by myself, that's how I got into it.
>>
>>64475778
So you don't have any idea what you are talking about? There are tons of prog albums that don't abuse keyboards and synths, if that's what you want.
>>
>>64475900
The baby registers it as painful. There are people who enjoy and even seek pain, likely because of the way they were raised.
>>
>>64475939
And you never figured anything out on your own that nobody told you anon?

>>64475947
I can only imagine that most of them are prog fans.
>>
>>64475900
Maybe that's because the baby was born with pain receptors, the pain is not relative from baby to baby, lmao, I think you were the one who was punched in the gut when baby.
>>
>people still not realizing this is satire

hilarious though t b h
keep it up satire guy
>>
>>64475991
>>>64475939
>>
>>64475999
And yet as an almost adult (I can't imagine that you are older than 17 if you actually admit to liking prog) would you cry if I punched you in the gut?

No, that's because society teaches us to be mindful of our outward appearance and not to be weak. It is much the same with a prog fan. They think they enjoy prog because society tells them that they should because of "complexity" and "technicality"
>>
>>64476020
>because I disagree with it it must be satire lol

Typical that this is the only response a prog fan can muster when confronted with the truth.
>>
>prog fans btfo forever

damn...
>>
>>64476065
My pain receptors still exist, prog fans enjoy prog because they like prog not because society tells them they should, most people do not even enjoy that genre so that makes no sense. I will now close this thread because you are not making any sense at all, I'd rather argue with a ranting hobo.
>>
sure is autism in here
>>
>>64476177
>My pain receptors still exist,
Of course they do, you clearly completely missed the point of my post

>prog fans enjoy prog because they like prog
typical circular logic from a prog fan

>not because society tells them they should,
most people do not even enjoy that genre so
Not society as a whole, the musical society

>that makes no sense.
I can't say I'm surprised. It obviously wouldn't make sense to the brain of a prog fan and I should have known that you would run away rather than face the truth.
>>
>>64476202
I agree wholeheartedly.

Imagine still clinging desperately to the belief that "prog rock is good" when confronted with all the information spelled out in this thread. Pure autism.
>>
>>64476297
Go fuck yourself
>>
>>64476370
Come on now. Let's act like adults. I know that must be hard if you listen to prog but please try for the sake of decorum.
>>
>people still not getting the joke

Just read yesterday's thread
https://rbt.asia/mu/thread/S64443850
>>
File: cover-demon2.jpg (2 MB, 1525x1525) Image search: [Google]
cover-demon2.jpg
2 MB, 1525x1525
who /c o l d e so u pe / here
>>
>>64476451
Oh but I'm afraid the only joke here is that prog rock fans actually think of the music as serious "composition"
>>
>>64476451
We get it. The fact it's satire doesn't make it any less autistic or painfully unfunny.
>>
>>64476468
hello my shill friend
>>
>>64476065
>they enjoy prog because society tells them that they should because of "complexity" and "technicality"

What the fuck does this even mean? Do you even know anything about music?
>>
>>64476542
:)
>>
>>64476585
>What the fuck does this even mean?
I had thought that it was obvious but I will reiterate for you if you insist. Prog fans only pretend to like the music because they are told that it is complex and musically challenging compared to the societal norm.

Hand a pair of headphones to a feral child who is completely ignorant of any musical tradition and play him a prog rock "compositional masterpiece" and a soothing folk song with a beautiful melody and obviously he will respond more to the folk melody because society has not conditioned him to be impressed with cheap compositional gimmicks and instrumental trickery.

>Do you even know anything about music?
My musical knowledge is completely irrelevant to the topic at hand.
>>
>>64476656
Do you have actual autism?
>>
>>64476702
No but if I did I imagine that it would be much easier to be impressed by simple gimmicks and tricks in music. Maybe it would even be an easier life. But I prefer to be informed.
>>
10/10
Thread of the year??
>>
>>64476759
>>64476762
samefag
>>
>>64476797
10/10
Post of the year??
>>
>>64476797
>>64476837
samefag
>>
>>64476656
>My musical knowledge is completely irrelevant to the topic at hand.
Ever notice how this is always what people say when they can't even play a fucking instrument?
>>
>>64476797
>>64476854
samefag
>>
>>64476934
>Ever notice how this is always what people say when they can't even play a fucking instrument?
Perhaps so, but I also noticed that yours is the same argument every prog fan uses to change the subject so he can avoid facing the truth about his shitty excuse for music.
>>
>>64476995
I wish I could acknowledge your effort in this thread more, jazz fan, but I really can't. Arguing is fun, but only if you're additionally arguing the right case.
>>
>>64476656
Literally the dumbest thing I've ever read.
>>
Imagine losing an argument so badly you join a new thread to argue with completely different people who aren't even aware of the context of the argument
>>
>>64477092
I don't even use the same quoting style as him. I've had many impostors on 4chan, and few of them remembered to use two newlines after the quote.
>>
>>64477053
No need to acknowledge my effort. I'm happy to do my part to spread awareness of the societal danger of listening to or pretending to appreciate prog. It is a musical cancer on young, impressionable minds in these uncertain times.

I don't know why you assume I am a jazz fan or why you feel comfortable in assuming that I am arguing the wrong case when you can't even find any arguments against my case. Sounds like the thinking of a prog fan to me but I hate to assume...
>>
>>64477084
Please explain how it is dumb? Or is calling it "dumb" the only reaction you can muster?
>>
>>64475017
I thought that said, "Fear of a Pedophile Planet."
>>
>>64477208
It might as well. You can also make a strong case for all prog rock fans and musicians being pedophiles.
>>
>>64476524
it's for sure austistic as fuck but it's also hilarious
>>
>>64476468
Are you hyped for new Airbag and Frost*?
The new song was awesome
>>
>>64477858
No it wasn't
>>
>>64475017
Is it just me or is Steven Wilson the most polarising musician on /mu/?

You got fanboys who totally worship him and detractors who absolutely despise him, I think only Kanye comes close.
>>
File: british-theatre.jpg (181 KB, 1240x930) Image search: [Google]
british-theatre.jpg
181 KB, 1240x930
Since this is a prog thread has anyone else listened to new album by members of Oceansize? It's great

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/features/british-theatre-mastery-album-stream-a7005886.html
>>
>>64477883
What didn't you like about it?
>>
Listen to hemispheres by rush
>>
>90 posts
>21 unique posters

The amount of sameposting ITT is cringe
>>
Yawn.

Prog is good because it develops over a long period and feels fresh.

Somehow you autists are now arguing about newborns.
>>
>>64477952
The fact that it was terrible.

>>64477956
Just did and it was terrible.

>>64477996
Ok.

>>64478089
>Prog is good because it develops over a long period and feels fresh.
"long" is relative and "fresh" is subjective
>>
Also, Mr. I'll-Reference-Prog-Fans-At-Every-Opportunity is the most obvious troll I've seen in a while. You idiots really entertained him for this long?
>>
>>64478161
kys
>>
>>64478175
Calling anything you don't agree with a troll is the first defense of the simple minded. Try harder please.
>>
>>64478176
Then there would be one less person to spread the truth about the danger and laziness of prog rock fans and "musicians."
>>
>>64478239
>>64478260
Holy shit you are autistic
>>
>>64478470
Holy shit so are you

Now what?
>>
bumping lol
>>
The worst part about this thread is that there will be people who will change their opinions on music just because someone else criticized their taste.

It's part of the hilarity of /mu/
>>
Right, one album from Porcupine Tree is like the rest of Prog Rock.

Just listen to, I don't know, Zappa, Canterbury Scene stuff, Caravan, what the fuck????

Why is there no /prog/ general?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzRphNTgel0
>>
>>64481175
because all prog is terrible and hopefully prog "fans" are becoming aware
>>
>>64481625
Fuck off already you are pathetic
>>
Most dedicated troll I have ever seen
>>
>>64481742
>>64476451
>>
File: SpectralMornings.png (72 KB, 200x198) Image search: [Google]
SpectralMornings.png
72 KB, 200x198
good album
Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.