[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>finally listen to this expecting it to be complete trash
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 4
File: beyonce-lemonade-compressed.jpg (65 KB, 620x414) Image search: [Google]
beyonce-lemonade-compressed.jpg
65 KB, 620x414
>finally listen to this expecting it to be complete trash because /mu/ has been collectively shitting on it since it released
>it's actually really fucking good

what the fuck?? I thought this was gonna be some white guilt basic pop album on the level of Taylor Swift or Katy Perry or something. this is fucking great, her singing is better than it's ever been, the production isn't super experimental or anything but it's very good, it doesn't sound sugary and manufactured like most pop albums...

so I guess all the hate really was just /pol/ and memes. I'm never trusting /mu/ again desu
>>
>>64412814
>trusting /mu/ in the first place
what a fucking loser letting a bunch of neckbeards telling u what to listen kill urself faggot
>>
/mu/ hates it because its getting so much praise.

People are worshiping Beyonce right now for this album and how it empowers women. They're saying how great SHE is.

None of her songs are just written by her. One of her songs had 15 writers on it. Producer credits are just as bad.

People like James Blake and J Tillman were writing this album. People are praising her for being this image for a group of people, but all she's doing is exploiting that image for money. The songs are manufactured and designed. They come from no place of real expression.

Its just as valid as any top 40 pop but its getting praised for being so much more.
>>
Maybe there's actually a lot of people that don't like Beyonce?
>>
>>64412891
Actually she has co-writing credits on every song. What I'm assuming is that she'd come up with a main idea, the other writers would put it into words, and she would arrange the melodies and lyrics.
>>
>>64412814
found the black woman
>>
>>64412944
Which is why I said none of them are written just by her.

She has a credit on everything naturally. You would absolutely not have 15 writers on a single song if you were actually doing the writing.

If she was just giving ideas, the ideas are all really simple and pandering. What she's getting praise for is how she approaches those ideas in her lyrics.

She's not an artist, she's a product. Just like most other pop stars.

Mind you I don't think the album sounds bad. Its just average, and as I said its no more valid than like a Katy Perry album. Its just designed to pander in a different direction.
>>
>>64412944
no that is absolutely not how songwriter credits work you fucking dolt.
any time you see a pop artist get a song writing credit for something is usually only because they adlibed "yeah" or "baby" somewhere on the track to get an increase in royalties.
the saying goes: "change a word, get a third"
>>
>>64412814
love the idea behind it. all artist should do this media experience for their fans now that the music video is dead.
>>
>>64412862
>>64412891
/thread

I don't see why /mu/ autists care so much though if they don't like it
>>
>>64412891
>>64412944
>>64412973
>all these assumptions

just admit that you don't want to like it because a) it's a pop album and b) because it empowers black women
>>
>>64413360
I couldn't care less of black women are empowered and I enjoy a lot of pop. Like I said in my second post >>64412973 I don't even mind the album. Its perfectly fine. They're also not just assumptions, they're educated guesses. Everything about the creation of this album screams what we're explaining.
>>
this is honestly a great album.

/pol/ will disagree obvs
>>
File: fat11.gif (3 MB, 336x335) Image search: [Google]
fat11.gif
3 MB, 336x335
>finally listen to this expecting it to be complete trash because /mu/ has been collectively shitting on it since it released
>it's actually really fucking bad
>realize i'm not a pleb like OP is
oh well
>>
>>64413360
>racebaiting this hard
Fucking get out racist bigot.
>>
>>64413377
>they're not just assumptions
>they're educated guesses

>>64413428
dear lord, for a group of people that whine about offended people not having thick skin /mu/ sure calls out racism when there isn't any a LOT
>>
>>64413442
Fuck off you sexist piece of shit.
>>
>>64412814
i cant even find anywhere to listen to it.
>>
>>64413495
This is a shilling thread, don't you get it? They want you to buy the album.
>>
>>64412814
>it's actually really fucking good

What about it is good, exactly? Most people falling over to praise it are just poptimist pieces of shit.
>>
>>64412891

>>None of her songs are just written by her. One of her songs had 15 writers on it. Producer credits are just as bad.

It was the same exact way for Kanye and Kendrick's last albums yet for some reason /mu/ didn't obsessively point that out anywhere near as much when they first released.

I wonder why...
>>
>>64413532
Writing credits on those albums include artists they sampled. For example, Sufjan Stevens did not work with Kendrick on Hood Politics, he just sampled Sufjan.
>>
>>64413532
>/mu/ is one person
You're fucking stupid or trolling, there is a nice group of anons who shit on every kanye release that's praised for its lyrics, we all know kanye can't write shit. Chance the rapper admitted he wrote Ultralight beam.
Kendrick might actually write his own stuff but his ideas and criticisms are all over the fucking place(possibly intentionally).
If you like mainstream performers you're a fucking pleb.
>>
>>64413511

>What about it is good, exactly?

-Beyonce's singing is great, she sounds wild and fiery without being super radio-friendly. She sounds like she has more passion and spirit than the average pop singer (Tayler Swift, Adele, Meghan Needs-A-Trainer etc.)
-The production, like OP said is not experimental or boundary-pushing, but it is still very solid and feels very grandiose and much more varied then, again, other pop albums.

Those are the main things. Trust me I hate poptimists too but liking a pop album doesn't make you a poptimist. Poptimists are the people who think pop albums can be equal to art music and jazz and that if you don't like pop you're a fedora.

Me liking this album is of course just an opinion as well.

>>64413563

Beyonce did not work with Animal Collective, but they got a writing credit simply because she paraphrased a single line from one of their songs. You don't have to contribute much to get a writing credit.
>>
>>64413595
>Beyonce did not work with Animal Collective, but they got a writing credit simply because she paraphrased a single line from one of their songs. You don't have to contribute much to get a writing credit.
She does that once on the entire album. You compared an album where most of the credits are legitimate, to two albums that sample heavily.
>>
>>64413595
>Trust me I hate poptimists too but liking a pop album doesn't make you a poptimist

I get you, anon. All I said was MOST people I've seen effusively praise it have been poptimist pieces of shit. People who have been clear and measured with their praise obviously don't fall into that category.

And I can see what you mean with in terms of energy and slightly above-average pop production. But I'd posit that stuff like that--while definitely making for a fun listening experience, like a lot of pop albums--doesn't really warrant all the praise it's getting.
>>
Bump, for other shit Beyonce thread.
>>
I listened to it to at my sisters request and it was pretty bad in my opinion
>>
>>64412814
that's pretty sad you think it's good because it's not a white guilt album.
>>
>>64413360
>thinking that a pop album or any other commodity empowers anyone
Off to the wilderness with you. Come back after you've thought things through. At the very least, learn to stop thinking that every thought in the vast wasteland of your skull is precious and worth sharing here.
>>
You know, most of the writers have said exactly what their involvement in the album was so if you actually want to know who contributed what, it's pretty easy to figure out. Ezra Koenig was credited literally for a tweet that was used as the chorus for Hold Up. Father John Misty contributed about 2 seconds to the song as well. But hey, don't let that mess with your narrative /mu/.
>>
>>64413747
Please redpill me on every single writer credit this album.
You've got 2 down, 15 to go.
>>
>>64413768
Do it yourself.

http://pitchfork.com/news/65045-beyonces-lemonade-collaborator-melo-x-gives-first-interview-on-making-of-the-album/

http://pitchfork.com/news/65028-beyonce-producer-boots-explains-animal-collective-credit-on-6-inch/

http://pitchfork.com/news/65049-vampire-weekends-ezra-koenig-explains-how-his-tweet-about-the-yeah-yeah-yeahs-became-a-beyonce-song/

http://pitchfork.com/news/65053-father-john-misty-tells-two-stories-about-beyonce-collaboration-one-real-one-fake/
>>
It's okay. It'll get an insane amount of praise because Beyonce made it, and according to popular belief, anything she releases is pure gold. The truth though, is that It's not really that fantastic of an album, but it's not really terrible either. This is better than Rihanna's Anti, granted that isn't much of an achievement. I can't think of other pop albums that I've listened to this year that would compare to this besides Anti.
>>
>>64412814
ANyone have a stream link? i dont want to pay for tidal
>>
>>64413681

>But I'd posit that stuff like that--while definitely making for a fun listening experience, like a lot of pop albums--doesn't really warrant all the praise it's getting.

Oh believe me I agree--this album isn't a fucking 9 or 10/10 like tons of critics are saying, I'd say even an 8 is kind of pushing it. But personally I try not to have inflated ratings, so if I were to give this album a personal score, it would probably be...eh...7 or 7.5? and that's only relative to other pop albums too, it's not a 7.5 compared to jazz albums or classical pieces or more experimental/underground popular music. It would be impossible to create a unified scale for EVERY genre/form of music, it just wouldn't make sense.

So when I say Lemonade is a 7.5, I mean it's a 7.5 compared to, say, Rihanna's most recent album, which would be like a 3 probably. or, on the flipside, if I were to compare it to something like MBDTF, which is technically a pop album, MBDTF would be like a 9-9.5 because, well, that album is fucking amazing.

But compared to something like, I don't know, Stravinsky's Rite Of Spring? then Lemonade (or MBDTF for that matter) is a fucking joke to the point where a rating doesn't even matter.

I don't rate classical pieces at all actually, I think that's kind of insulting. Classical pieces have been critiqued for thousands of years, personally I think even the stuff I don't like deserves respect.

Anyways, Lemonade is definitely not an album that you sit down and listen with no distractions and intently focus on, it's just good to throw on while you're browsing 4chan or something (which is what I'm doing right now).
>>
>>64413609

How do you know the differences between either albums credits? Did you work on them? You can't just make assumptions because of which album you personally liked.

Christ, why does /mu/ feel so threatened by a black woman?
>>
>>64413595
>>64414506
>>64416694

Sorry guys - though Lemonade is good (I agree with that 7-7.5 rating, but ANTI was certainly better.
Beyoncé's singing is downright ugly sometimes...like on "Sandcastles". Blegh. Compared to something like Rihanna's "Higher" on the new album is just no contest...the prettier, younger one also happens to release the better music ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Cherry picking from each album, I come up with:
>James Joint
>Kiss it Better
>Work
>Needed Me
>Same Ol' Mistakes (respectable cover)
>Higher

compared to

>Forward
>Sorry
>Love Drought
>All Night
>Formation
>Hold Up

But then the surrounding songs on Rihanna's are on average better than those on Beyoncé's. The only argument I can see for Lemonade over ANTI is the visual component, but I didn't get to see that. That's definitely a cool thing to do, but I'm talking about audio-only.

+ The most upsetting part for people is seeing Lemonade get praised as it is when it's quite damn good, but not even close to THAT good/incredible like so many outlets are saying
>>
This album is the definition of pretentious.
>>
>>64412814
This album almost put me to sleep
>>
When the purging finally begins, my regiment will see that the degenerate and capitalist forces behind these musical "artists" are dealt with.
>>
>>64412814
I don't understand why you guys keep buying in to the whole idea that easy pop music can be great art. Call me closed minded but, IT CANNOT BE ART. It take 0% effort to enjoy Lemonade. After you listen to it, you walk away feeling empty and unfulfilled, searching for the next pop album you can mindlessly listen to. I'm serious, this kind of thinking is ruining music.
>>
File: 1399754431357.jpg (265 KB, 1183x532) Image search: [Google]
1399754431357.jpg
265 KB, 1183x532
>>64412814
/mu/ at this point is pretty much 90% /pol/

never trust any part of 4chan when it comes to race or gender politics. discover whatever by yourself, form your own opinion and don't listen to the angry cries of the neo-nazis
>>
>>64418088

>easy pop music can be great art

literally no one is saying this

also define "great art"
>>
>>64418776
"great art" is subjective

there are no universal truths in art. what is true for me is not true for you

getting upset when people don't enjoy things is essentially saying "fuck you for not having my opinion"
>>
>>64418108
That's some summerfag tier deduction anon, especially since half of /pol/ left for infinitychan and /mu/ was always a larger board anyway.
>>
>>64418776

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNI07egoefc
>>
>>64418819
Welcome to the Internet, is it your first day here?
>>
>>64418831
>/mu/ is a larger board
kek
>>
>>64418861
epic
>>
>>64418860
This is so embarrassing
>>
>>64418860
I stopped the video after he asked "How can art be objectively measured?" (a valid question) and then complained about the material and subject matter of two specific art pieces rather than answer the question.
>>
File: nike-just-do-it.jpg (174 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
nike-just-do-it.jpg
174 KB, 1366x768
>>64412814
Where the FUCK can I watch it, family?
>>
>>64413595
>Beyonce did not work with Animal Collective, but they got a writing credit simply because she paraphrased a single line from one of their songs.

Its funny cause literally all she said was "Material things"
>>
>>64413461
Fuck off cunt get back in the kitchen
>>
drake and beyonce are image whores. so produced and they actually think they're hiding it.
>>
>>64417999
Lemonade's not the masterpiece everyone says it is, but Anti was complete trash.
>>
>>64420398
well you sure proved him wrong
>>
>>64421043
If you think that's true, can you explain what Lemonade has over ANTI?
Besides that the former has a single idea around which pretty much all of the lyrics are based, of course
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.