[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does vinyl have any tangible benefit or is it just hipsterism?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 5
File: il_570xN.573995762_8dq0.jpg (60 KB, 570x458) Image search: [Google]
il_570xN.573995762_8dq0.jpg
60 KB, 570x458
Does vinyl have any tangible benefit or is it just hipsterism?
>>
It's fun
>>
Sounds and looks better

If you aren't aesthetic get out
>>
Avoiding brickwalling, which was the curse of late 90s-early 2000s music.
>>
You can sell them if you go broke but you'll probably go broke buying vinyls first. Some music is not online.
>>64409330
Digital files don't degrade like records. If you're aesthetic, you can talk about it on /fa/.
>>
>>64409296
to listen to obscure old music. Plus it looks cool and analog tech is cool.
>>
>>64409504
The format doesn't affect how the music is mastered. That happens before pressing.
>>
>>64409548
Brickwalling depends on the physical properties of CDs. It's not possible to do it on an analog format like vinyl or cassettes.
>>
>>64409548
Sometimes true

>>64409870
Absolutely untrue. Vinyl has a theoretically lower limit of dynamic range than CDs do. On thing people use to test vinyl dynamic rang is the overture from the Telarc Tchaikovsky 1812 recording's cannon shots.

Almost all record players cannot track them because the too sudden shift in dynamics.

CDs can.

Vinyl has lower than 16 bits of dyamic range.
>>
>>64409935
about 15:08 shows what I'm talking about in this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGQLUn3Mpe4
>>
>>64409296
I find that a lot of old music sounds better on Vinyl but maybe that's because CD's sound over produced at times and that can ruin the sound.
>>
Literally the only reason i would consider Vinyl is because many artists release exclusively on vinyl. I hate it when i can't get new music i've discovered because it was only released on vinyl. And it's expensive to obtain obscure records in AUS, sometimes close to $100 for 1 EP. For the most part i prefer CD's.
>>
I hate brickwalling, I really do. Who the fuck ever thought that was a good idea.
>>
>>64409524
Music files does degrate over time.
download something in - 320 kbps and wait five years and see what happend
>>
>>64410138
THIS

all the music I downloaded in 320 kbps a couple of years ago are now like 279kbps

I think the files go down 1kbps each month or so
>>
>>64410138
i can understand how this could occur if your storage degraded with the files on it, but if your storage was perfect, would files really degrade? Source?
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2448x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2448x2448
>>64409296
Only if its limited
>>
>>64410138
>tfw i didnt pay attention to all my music's veloocidensity when i downloaded it 4 years ago

ever since then, hard drive in the freezer every day for 2 hours, never happened again
>>
>>64410177
I have AAC files which are the same as they were 7 years ago.
>>
>>64409935
Who's mastering individual copies of music?
>>64410138
That's not true. I've seen troll images saying that, and I think some people have actually been misled by them. It's hard to tell if you actually think that but some people who don't and are saying this have come into this thread.
>>
>>64410230
Noone. But sometimes there are vinyl masters used. Its mostly just using mixes from the 24/96 and taking notes on where to move the knobs for width and depth at which times.
>>
>>64410230
Nothing in this world last forever, my friend. Not even digital files
>>
>>64410112
During the CD era, two things happened.

1. Consumer demand for louder music
2. Consumer demand for moar songs per album

Unfortunately, the customer isn't always right and sometimes you have to give people what they need instead of what they think they need.
>>
People joke about it but bitrot is real.
>>
>>64410230
>>64410212
>>64410188
>still getting meme'd on in 2017
>>
>>64409296
God my roommate "collects" records. He buys one or two a month and never listens to a single one of them. His turntable is just a shelf for dirty dishes. And he goes on about how he loves to go to the record store. Makes me want to punch him.

So no it's not just for hipsters it's also for assholes
>>
>>64410290
Yeah mate but he's your flatmate. He's almost required by law to be a cunt. Most us analog tossers listen to our shit everyday, at least the ones who do it out of passion not passing fashion.
>>
>>64410277
i realised afterwards and felt a little dissapointed in myself
>>
Bob Dylan on brickwalling (this is from an early 2000s interview).

"You buy an album today and it's totally unlistenable. It's all just a ball of static. When they first told me about Napster, I said 'They can steal music all they want as far as I'm concerned. The stuff out nowadays ain't worth nothing.'"
>>
>>64410290
I hate people who buy records and don't listen to them there is no point to that
>inb4 it's an investment
lots of collectors have said it isn't a good investment.
>>
>>64410344
I listen to my collection regularly and I still consider them an investment. Not a monetary one, mind you but a kind of inheritance for my kid.
>>
File: 1287364899485.gif (19 KB, 96x71) Image search: [Google]
1287364899485.gif
19 KB, 96x71
>>64409309
It sure is.
>>
>>64410245
I see. That is true.
>>64410255
How melodramatic. Nihilist Fileist.
>>64410273
Files can corrupt and drives can physically degrade, that's about it as far as I know.
>>
>>64410444
If media deteriorates, you won't be able to access the file but its contents won't magically change.
>>
The earthy and rich sound. Owning a large cover art of my favourite albums. Taking care of them and cleaning them. Playing old classics.
>>
>>64410532
Well put mate
>>
>>64410363
>but a kind of inheritance for my kid.
That's sweet

The only record I have ATM is TPAB, but I hope to pass it on to one of my wife's sons too.
>>
>>64409296
>>64409524
>>64409544
I got into vinyl because my parents had a turntable left over from the 80s and my friend knew this place where you could get them dirt cheap. Now that it closed its alot less fun. Still have a decent collection
>>
>>64410532
i forgot to say taking a picture on my classic nikon and posting the pics on my tumblr lol i get the cleaning accessies from walmart lol love the natural sound of plastic
>>
>>64410576
I just picked up TPAB the other day off impulse and I'm thrilled to have it on vinyl. An important album if not one I'll listen to daily.
>>
I dunno, the country/culture I come from isn't big on vinyl at all. But right now I'm studying in North America, and the city I live is kinda known for its hipster/alternative/dude-vintage-lmao crowd, and there's definitely vinyl culture here. Lots of record shops downtown etc. I would get into it gladly, if I had my own place and wasn't renting. Buying record player and records themselves, and having to fly them back home with me is too bothersome.

Even dingiest shittiest vinyl player makes a nicer atmosphere than even most expensive digital systems. Latter just look lame.
>>
>>64410598
Jokes on you mate, we don't have Walmart in Australia.
>>
>>64410660
I agree wholeheartedly with that last part. That being said you're better off not getting into if it you aren't planning on staying, which I'm sure you know. Shame though because it's a lot of fun. If you change your mind don't get a crosley.
>>
File: 1460883571131.png (387 KB, 520x463) Image search: [Google]
1460883571131.png
387 KB, 520x463
>>64410709
>>64410660

But I would probably regret it the same way I regretted buying a film camera. It looks cool, it feels cool, but it's so fucking bothersome and archaic. Having to think about every picture you take because film rolls are limited. and having to go and MAKE those photos later is just ugh. Meanwhile you could use a digital camera like all normal modern people, and snap 100 pictures of an object and not cry over wasted film.

What's a crosley? Portable vinyl player? I wanted to, but guy in shop said they usually have some kind of shittier record reader that press too hard and ruin records faster comparatively.
>>
>>64410752
I mean. If you have a corner to spare, it isn't terribly bothersome. But it has to be a permanent fixture.

Crosley's are shit tier record players for 16 year old girls and people who go to coachella
>>
>>64410752
Not only do crosleys and other cheap shit turntables sound bad, but they also wreck vinyls. Bad stuff.
>>
>>64410277
>2017
You almost had me for a moment senpai
>>
I like having big pieces of physical music representing my favorite albums, almost like having a figurine or something. I don't really listen to them though, since they wear out.
>>
its about having a physical impression of sound as opposed to 1's and 0's. personally i'm surprised we were able to create physical sounds imprinted on plastic before we could electronically produce it.
>>
File: 1461497863723.jpg (1 MB, 3744x5616) Image search: [Google]
1461497863723.jpg
1 MB, 3744x5616
>>64410870
i bet you retard too idiot
>>
>>64410870
But it's 1's and 0's printed on plastic.
>>
>>64410973
Fuckin' bait
>>
>>64409296
fetishism
>>
>>64410138
Thats why you should always put magnets near your drive. It helps to preserve anything you have on it.
>>
I think the analog sound is more believable and immersive than a digital sound. Imo its worth if if youre willing to deal with the inconvenience that comes with it
>>
>>64412408
>more believable

Vinylfags really have a way with buzzwords
>>
Vinyl is the first form of lossless audio, it's basically a plastic wav file
>>
I got into vinyl because I'm trying get into sampling. Luckily there's like 5 Half Price Books stores in my city so I can just go there and buy like 10 records for $40. They're good quality too not like something you'll find at Goodwill.
>>
I could delete your entire digital collection in a mater of seconds
>>
>>64409524

i thought aesthetic was /fit/
>>
>>64409296

This thread pops up from time and time on here, and yes, if you're a music fan, records do have a tangible benefit.

- There's a shit-ton of material that never made it to any other format.

- Related to the first point. That shit-ton of material that never made it to another format will always sound best on the LP/45/78, etc because the original tapes are likely lost or degraded, so a digital remaster will never be possible. This is also true with other music that never got a proper remaster, like a lot of Jazz, early rock, country, folk, world, experimental, etc.

- The best sounding master of an album of pre-00s music is most likely the LP version (only really contemporary Jazz and Classical were mastered from the ground up digitally [coded as DDD] when the CD started to become popular in the 80's). The better sounding digital master will usually be an SACD, MFSL, DVD-A, which are usually more expensive than the LP and don't sound THAT much better, if at all. I do love the SACD format, though.

- Since the LP format has inherent dynamic range limitations, you can't brickwall it to Hell and back, so modern music that was mastered like shit for its digital version might actually wind up sounding accidentally better than it digital counterpart.
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.