[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
David Bowie left us with a masterpiece that is on par with, if
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: PrinceHitnrun.jpeg.jpg (47 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
PrinceHitnrun.jpeg.jpg
47 KB, 1024x1024
David Bowie left us with a masterpiece that is on par with, if not better than Ziggy Stardust and Low.

Prince left us with two of his most mediocre releases after 20+ years of mediocre releases since Love Symbol Album.

Why is it that some artists are able to maintain their quality of work, and others aren't?
>>
File: Memeschool.png (186 KB, 330x330) Image search: [Google]
Memeschool.png
186 KB, 330x330
Cause bowie was a meme master
>>
>>64404258
i think some artists (most) have difficulty creating in a space where theres more than one of them. like in 80's there were no other prince's other than prince. now we have maxwell, frank ocean, d'angelo to name a few. and its hard imo to make masterpieces and stickout when theres so much of you running around. like by the time hitnrun came out people caught up with prince. we get prince now. so much so that some people careers out of doing prince. so i think its hard to make stuff up to par with your greatest work once the times have caught up with you. like to this point music has kinda caught up with what he was doing in the 80's . so its like, where do i go from here? i think for most thats difficult. but its not like he stopped writing great songs tho to princes credit.
>>
>>64404258
Bowie took a nearly decade long break from releasing music and seemed to put a lot of thought into what kind of sound and atmosphere he wanted on Blackstar and TLD. Prince just pumped out records like a factory for most of his career and as such things are likely to be much more hit and miss.
I feel like some of it is also just what artistic phase each of them were in. If Bowie and Prince had both died in '87 for example then Prince would have left us with Sign 'O The Times and Bowie would have left us with Never Let Me Down so the situation would have pretty much been the complete opposite.
>>
>>64404258
dont forget! bowie had some shit periods too.
>>
and i think prince at his height trumps bowie at his.
>>
>>64404474
This. Prince was really great at doing what he did, but not much else. Bowie was great at evolving his sound while still being good at almost everything he did.
>>
Bowie had some terrible albums in the 80s and he never reached the heights he did in the 70s.

People get old, it happens.
>>
>>64405030
nigga you clearly have not heard Prince's discog, he was always taking risks
>>
Bowie released nearly two decades of shitty albums before he put out The Next Day.
>>
>>64404258
>on par with, if not better than Ziggy Stardust and Low
epic, simply epic
>>
Bowie made meme-school and prince got aids
>>
>>64404258
Bowie knew he was dying.
>>
>>64405570
/thread
>>
I think about this with Bob Dylan a lot. The way he tells it it's like a spirit wrote through him in the 60's and then left.
>>
Prince continually put out album after album with no downtime and/or quality control, all retreading previous ground perfected on his classic records. He was unaware (or in deep denial) that he'd die so he never gave himself the chance to have a proper send off.

David on the other hand had only just come back from his long break and knew about his forthcoming demise.
>>
Fuck off, HitnRun Pt. 2 is impeccable and a sign of greater things to come. Pt. 1 needs some trimmjng but is also a worthy addition.

Knock it off.
>>
Because Prince didn't know he was going to die you moron.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.