[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Record Store Job
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 127
Thread images: 11
File: 5675.png (38 KB, 204x229) Image search: [Google]
5675.png
38 KB, 204x229
>NEET who parents are forcing to get summer job or they'll kick out

fuck

/mu/, I'm considering working at a record store

1) Is it hard to get jobs there?
2) Will having an associates degree and being a current uni student help me get?
3) Will it be a comfy job?
4) Any general experience you've had
>>
>>64402047
getting a job at a record store is pretty fucking hard
just go apply at mcdonalds or walmart
>>
>>64402076
>mcdonalds or wal mart

both of those jobs would fucking suck

i want a comfy retail job
>>
1. yes
2. no, you need friends that work there
3. not really, it's another retail gig
4. give it a shot but don't expect much
>>
>>64402097
>comfy
>retail
I got news for you
>>
>>64402047
>NEET
>being a current uni student
No.

>>64402097
>comfy retail job
No.
>>
>>64402097
Welcome to the real world friend :)
Unless you have connections or have a particular skill you're good at that you could teach
comfy retail jobs don't exist.
Just suck it up like everyone and apply to mcdonalds/walmart. first month will suck but after that you should be used too it
>>
>>64402170

mcdonalds or wal mart is too degrading

"yeah, i work at a record store"

sounds 10x better than

"yeah i work at mcdonalds"
>>
>>64402179
who gives a shit everybody in your age group is working shitty retail unless they have rich parents too leech off.
If anything just don't tell ppl you have a job.
>>
>>64402170
>welcome to real world

The real world sucks
>>
>>64402076
shut the fuck up tryhard your a moron.
>>
>>64402220

I'm turning 26 this year, I'm past the "hehe, just a cute ol college boy grindin" stage.

As term as life situation goes, I'm at like where a 21 year old should be (3rd year of college, 2 years prior work experience at place i quit without 2 weeks notice so prob cant even use as recc) as a 26 years old
>>
File: 1453865880488.jpg (141 KB, 800x530) Image search: [Google]
1453865880488.jpg
141 KB, 800x530
>>64402240
>your
>>
>>64402047
get a fucking job you sad cunt-face.
>>
>>64402170
i work produce at a grocery store it's pretty comfy. pretty much make my own hours too lol
>>
>>64402313
tyler?
>>
Just work your ass off and get a paid internship in whatever you're studying at uni. As long as you haven't been doing the absolute minimum, have decent grades, and can appear socially normal for a brief amount of time, it isn't any more difficult than landing a retail spot and can satisfy your high social standards
>>
>>64402313

Grocery Store comfyness seems to completely depend on the department you work in

Register = Uncomfy as fuck
Grocery stocker = Neutral comfy
Stuff not considered grocery stocker = Comfy
>>
>>64402047
I'll be very surprised if you end up getting a job at a record store.

There's like under 5 people at each of my local stores and I don't think they would just hire some teenager looking for a summer job.
>>
>>64402047
You can stop at number 1 unless you have connections. Someone like you can't be picky anyways. Be thankful if you get anything, let alone your ideal slacker job.
>>
Where's a retail job that doesn't have a bunch of annoying faggot customers?

Wouldnt a dollar store qualify? Who the fuck goes to a dollar store in urgent need of anything?
>>
>>64402047
I used to work in a record store, OP.

The most fun part of working there is destroying old music nobody wants anymore. I've destroyed countless vinyl, CDs, tapes, you name it of every genre. I probably destroyed priceless stuff but I really like breaking stuff so who cares. I once used a box of old jazz and blues 78 RPMs from the 20s or 30s to a skeet shoot. To this day, the most fun I have ever had. I hope you have a great time working at one too, OP.
>>
>>64402549
yes I'm sure a /mu/ brat could deal with $ store customers :^)
>>
>>64402549
There are probably so many trashy people who shop at dollar stores all the time
>>
>>64402047
I've worked in 4 different record stores over the years, but I seriously doubt that you're going to just walk into your local shop and get hired. Record stores aren't exactly profitable and don't employ tons of people. On top of that, the people who do work there usually hold onto their jobs because it's fun and easy.
The only reason I managed to work at so many is because I've been doing record appraisal for a long time.

Good luck
>>
>tfw you are a kleptomaniac and have stolen from every store within 10km from you

I bet if I applied they'd arrest me on the spot
>>
>tfw 25 yo NEET with 0 job experience, no degree, not even a HS diploma

feels good
>>
>>64402179
"yeah i work at mcdonalds"

sounds 10x better than

"im a NEET"
>>
You are fucking sad, dude. Just get a job. No one is going to think you're cool for working at a record store
>>
>>64403021
>No one is going to think you're cool for working at a record store
That's a lie. The 10000 girls standing next to me are saying they would think he's cooler for working at a record store.
>>
1) strike up a conversation with the interviewer about HIS favorite type of musics
2) while he is excitingly telling you about his favorite artists and albums, pull out that knife you have been hiding in your suit
3) stab him and hope he was the owner of the store so you can be the new owner
4) tell the police it was suicide, they have to believe you because you are a super cool record store owner and the Sergeant has been dying for a cheap vinyl copy of Blackstar or some stupid bullshit
>>
>>64402929
why are you proud of being a loser
>>
>>64403079
Shhh, I'm trying to steal his record store job before he applies
>>
File: XrmIXBv.png (141 KB, 992x1856) Image search: [Google]
XrmIXBv.png
141 KB, 992x1856
>>64403160
The only losers are the working class plebs.
>>
>>64403132
Do you live in some strange country where if someone dies in your presence, you just get all of their stuff? Or is it just for job interviews? Or record stores? Or job interviews at record stores??
>>
>>64402929

Being a NEET is good and all until your parents eventually kick you out. 25-30 seems like a usually late limit

If you don't have that issue, you're all set
>>
>>64403021

It's not about being "cool", it's about avoiding the garbage alternatives.
>>
>>64403269
The key is to start when you are really young when they can't legally kick you out. By the time you get older they have already become used to it and think you cant change so it can't be helped.

I started at 14 and my parents have gone from angry to totally accommodating.
>>
File: 1291059463895.jpg (31 KB, 363x310) Image search: [Google]
1291059463895.jpg
31 KB, 363x310
>>64402047

>you need to know someone generally.

>you could get a better job with an ad

>no work is pain in most cases

>I work at REI shit's awesome. everyones super friendly and wants to do stuff outside of work. feels good after being a register jockey for 4 years.
>>
1. Incredibly hard, I've been close friends with everyone that works at my local shop for roughly 3 years and only now am I getting the chance to work there.
2. They don't give two shits about your degrees. It's a music store, dipfuck; not rocket science.
3. Absolutely not. You will work your ass off cataloging and doing inventory. Unless you enjoy that, you'll hate it.
4. I like it because I don't need a "comfy job." Pussy.
>>
>>64403295
>>64403339
You truly are pathetic. Adorable.
>>
fucking hell this thread is depressing, I should probably start working on education again
>>
File: 1458276206809.png (723 KB, 940x734) Image search: [Google]
1458276206809.png
723 KB, 940x734
>>64403474
Whatever you say buddy :^)
>>
>>64402047
1.) Yea, it took me three years of being a regular. Even then I only got in because I asked about an internship to learn the backend.
2.) See above: internship. Try spinning this for you. You're not trying to get some comfy summer job, you're actually trying to learn something.
3.) A lot of inventory, a lot of pricing, a lot of pretentious people. When the inventory and everything is done or when the right people come in it can be awfully comfy. Getting to run the shop is cool too, getting to choose music and stuff to play. A lot of times people don't even think the music you listen to is weird.
4.) I love working there. I now have a real internship and another job I only work on weekends, but I fill in at my local shop when the owner asks me to. Definitely a fun job even if it has some bad parts. Every job does though.
>>
I really don't get the stigma against working for McDonalds. It's easy income and not to much work if u dont mind standing up (which is actually good exercise). I mean what's the difference between eating there and working there
>>
>>64402926
Fucking loser. Pirate shit, not steal real goods from local businesses.
>>
>>64403611

"I work at McDonalds" beyond age 18 just sounds so awful

Honestly only a garbageman or janitor are the worst (legal) jobs as far as how it effects people's reputation of you I can think of.
>>
>>64403611
it's because people commonly believe that it's beneath them even though there is absolutely no shame in working there
>>
>>64403656
Hey man, garbage men make great money and have excellent benefits.
>>
>>64403474
>wagecuck who is mad he had shit tier parents who were too poor to support a comfy neet lifestyle for their son

Now now, wagecuck. Don't pop a blood vessel! Lord knows you couldn't afford to take time off for a doctor's appointment, Mr. Sheckelstein wouldn't be pleased with that.
>>
>>64403669

I wouldn't even know, just saying how the average normie views such job
>>
>>64403656
>garbageman or janitor
what year is it. janitors make more than most teachers and garbagemen make bank too
>>
File: 1295492865201.jpg (98 KB, 497x501) Image search: [Google]
1295492865201.jpg
98 KB, 497x501
>>64403611

I worked at mcdonalds for 6 months once. I had fun being a middle class kid being among absolute trash people. I took a lot of amphetamines and smoked a lot of weed. I also got to have really gross raunchy sex with my manager in the stock room and freezer on nights we closed together. I'm sad I'll never again know the feeling of licking mcflurry ice cream out of her snatch and after closing at one in the morning.
>>
>>64403656
This is really pretentious I think. I've worked at McDonalds for 3 years since graduating high school and haven't had a negative thing said about me. I would consider myself fairly smart to and actually took an AP class in high school. I really think you're alone in thinking it's some negative thing to work there
>>
>>64403701
>I also got to have really gross raunchy sex with my manager in the stock room and freezer on nights we closed together.

How old was she?

Looks on a scale of 1-10?

What are you on a scale of 1-10?

Pics?

More details pls I like tabboo nasty sex stories
>>
>>64403701
>fun being a middle class kid being among absolute trash people
>took a lot of amphetamines and smoked a lot of weed
>really gross raunchy sex

I think you meant you were hanging out with your kin, trash man.
>>
>>64403674
Except shit tier parents would be enabling a manchild instead of allowing him to grow up and develop responsibility.
>>
>>64403701
I imagined her as an overweight nappyheaded black woman like most of the mcdonalds managers around here and almost threw up thinking of the image of someone licking a mcflurry out of her smelly blown out hole
>>
>>64403747

I was 19 and she was 18 but she had worked their for 2 years already. I went to high school with her and she was about an 8.5 back then (half white half asian), she had gotten slightly chubby at this point though, but I figured what the hell. I'm about a 7 if I put some effort into it. No pics sadly. Basically I found out her boyfriend had dumped her and we ended up closing together one night. We ended up smoking weed together and then proceeded to have sex in the storage room because their aren't any cameras. Basically every friday and saturday we ended up closing together and fucking the shit out of each other once the cook had left for the night. The only thing I kind of regret is the fact that she was really into raw dogging it and things ended on a pregnancy scare. I left the job about a month later.
>>
>>64403949
>normie who is able to get girls to like him at his job and even fuck him

REEEEE
>>
>>64403771

you haven't lived til you've had some really depraved and raunchy ass sex. just really gross 'what have i done there's all kinds of gross fluid and stuff everywhere' sex
>>
>>64403295
How much do you think you'll be paid at a record store? Not much more than McDonald's or walmart
>>
>>64403993

It's not about salary.

It's just I don't want to be seen working at McDonalds or WalMart

If someone were to see me working at a record store, I wouldn't feel all that bad about it.

If they saw me in my lil fucking McDonalds/Wal Mart uniform I'd feel ashamed
>>
>>64404029

I never got over that feeling. But a paycheck is a paycheck. Also you can do fucking whatever and not get fired. It's kind of liberating being a king among trash.
>>
>>64404029
get over yourself theres nothing wrong with working for those places. is it out of anti-capitalistic sentiment for working for the man? jesus christ son
>>
>>64404029
You are more likely to get hired at McD's or Walmart because you have no absolutely no experience, worth ethic or people skills.

You know how you generally see aspies like yourself at McD's and not a record store?

yeah.
>>
>>64403780
Or they are just tired of supporting his dumb ass
>>
>>64404029
Whatever. Go apply at that record store and let us know how it goes.
>>
>>64404094
Anything past 18 years is enabling manchildren. Sorry to break it to ya anon.
>>
>>64402097
>comy retail job

That's pretty mythical breh
>>
>>64404112
Sorry, I thought you were saying that they were now allowing him to develop responsibility.
>>
File: 1333372886376.png (399 KB, 414x414) Image search: [Google]
1333372886376.png
399 KB, 414x414
>>64404029

they're not going to make fun of you for the uniform. it goes way deeper than that. they're going for the man inside the uniform who thought he was too good to put it on, just because you listen to cool music doesn't mean you aren't a developmentally stunted ass.
>>
>>64402047
1) yes
2) no
3) no
4) do you know how many assholes come in and give their resumes because they listen to death grips? you pretty much need to know the management well to even have a chance.. and a background in music helps a lot
>>
>>64404114
Yeah, that shit ain't like Empire Records
>>
>>64404127
It's too late for that.

I would never hire someone like that.
>>
>>64404029
You ain't gotta worry about people seeing you. The people who go to McDonald's and walmart are the people who go to McDonald's and walmart. You can feel superior to them working there.
>>
>>64404160
Yes, I agree. 26 is far too old
>>
>>64402047
>>>/r9k/
>>
>>64402549
>retail job
>no annoying faggot customers
pick 1
>>
File: 1422043370697.png (22 KB, 530x444) Image search: [Google]
1422043370697.png
22 KB, 530x444
I work at a record store. Have done so for about a year. We sell more than just music though, also games and movies.

Ask me anything.

It's actually pretty fun.
>>
>>64403440
exactky this (although I disagree and think it's p chill)

known the staff and been applying for 4 years, only just this past christnas did I get a seasonal position. Super chill as far as min wage jobs go but good fuckin luck getting it.
>>
>>64404241
Best Buy doesn't count man
>>
>>64404255
We sell a whole bunch of used stuff. We have a way bigger selection than any best buy I've ever seen.
>>
File: 1343071131135.jpg (60 KB, 616x616) Image search: [Google]
1343071131135.jpg
60 KB, 616x616
I work as a baker. I make deserts all day with my boss who's punk as fuck. I listen to minor threat, the butthole surfers, bad brains, and old as flaming lips all day. Best part, I never have to meet a single fucking customer at all.
>>
>>64404280
Pre played?
>>
>>64402549
Dollar Stores are terrible anon. Dollarama is our chain here and it's full of angry poor people who are cheap as shit and half of them never shower.

This is the problem with retail:

Go to a cheap ass place (walmart/dollarstore) and you're going to deal with the shittiest trashiest people who are miserable

Go to a high end retail and you'll deal with snobby people who look down on you and treat you like shit

retail is pretty much a job where every one will treat you like a punching bag for whatever shitty things are happening in their life
>>
>>64404317
Yeah, used vinyl, CDs, games and movies. We even take in action figures and comic books.
>>
>>64404343
You work at Half Price Books?
>>
>>64404343
newbury comics is the shit, which one
>>
It's funny, while I was in college I worked in a Papa Johns and I did the best job I could each day. Delivered pizza, never got high or had a bad attitude, and was always warm and gracious. Tips were good.

See Boys, there's a thing called taking pride in your work, no matter what it is. That's what separates me from you fucking autists out there that think work is degrading. Work is life, and you can climb every rung to where you want to be if you get off your ass and make shit happen. Take it from the Southeastern Ops Manager.

PS: if you're in uni you're not a NEET you fucktard.
>>
>>64404331
>Go to a cheap ass place (walmart/dollarstore) and you're going to deal with the shittiest trashiest people who are miserable
Somewhat true. A lot of people do smell bad but most of the time at our store we get moms coming in looking for games for their kids and high school kids looking for distraction.

>retail is pretty much a job where every one will treat you like a punching bag for whatever shitty things are happening in their life

There are some people like that but I'd say it's only 10%. Most are just looking to buy shit.

You should see what happens though when you give someone like that a trade offer that isn't at least 80% the price they could get if they sold it on ebay themselves though. They get real fucking indignant about it and we all have to be like "It's just an offer, dude. You don't have to take it." Sometimes it escalates though.
>>
>>64403949
Living the dream
>>
>went to the sprint store this weekend
>the two guys were just sitting on the bench going through their phones
>one guy gets up, sells me a phone, the other dude just sat there sipping a soda.
>I go get my sister from work and come back
>same thing

They do exist, you just need to find a retailer that over hires and is poorly managed in terms of human resources.
>>
>>64404372
>>64404463
Neither of these. It's a much smaller regional chain. I'm not going to say specifically which chain it is but I won't lie if someone guesses it correctly.
>>
>>64404343
2nd and charles is hell
>>
>>64404524
So not an actual record store.

Go away faggot.
>>
>>64404541
>2nd and charles
Nope
>>
>>64404488

I was at a really shit point in my life. I had a nervous breakdown the semester before that and spent the whole summer tripping on acid. not the best time of my life but I can't look back on it badly. You make the best of things, learn some people skills and move on in life.
>>
>>64404480
I was talking more about chains that are known for selling cheap, mass produced stuff (e.g. walmart or dollar stores). You get a lot of stupid, ignorant people who are just god damn miserable - and it attracts people in or close to poverty. I'd imagine a job like yours is a little better, but I know what you mean about the trade ins. People get really pissed off at a place like BMV (local book/video store) when their 5 year old Da Vinci Code is either rejected or offered $0.50.

I guess it really depends how you approach it. Younger me felt like shit because those 10% of shitty customers made me feel terrible. Now I get over it and don't take it to personally, people can be assholes. That's life.

Just saying, customer service of any kind is going to get you some shitty people. People are shitty, that's life.
>>
Most records stores can't afford many employees. Unless your going to for some major corporate chain. There's not really any money to be had in business and isn't really a good job unless you're a high school dropout stoner.
>>
if you've been shopping somewhere for years and you were once in a local band or something, maybe you have a chance

just having knowledge of /mu/-core bands isn't enough

youll get yr share of shitty customers: scalpers (if you sell tickets), ppl who want to know "do ppl still buy vinyl?!," guys hitting on you constantly (if yr a grrl), ppl who get deeply offended cause you didnt act like a walmart greeter and think you're too "hip" or some shit
>>
>>64404577
The Great Escape?
>>
>>64404566
>not an actual record store.
We have a pretty big vinyl selection with most major artists and a lot of smaller ones too. Probably ~4000 records at our location alone.

>>64404613
>People get really pissed off at a place like BMV (local book/video store) when their 5 year old Da Vinci Code is either rejected or offered $0.50.
Yeah, I mean davinci code is a movie we would probably put out for $2.50 or $1 if we aren't expressly forbidden to take it in by the computer program so they'd probably be getting between 12-20 cents. Most of the time they're in shit condition though and would need to be buffed so we just straight pass on those unless they would go out for more than $6
>>
>>64404220
literally this
>>
>>64404769
nope

>>64404765
>just having knowledge of /mu/-core bands isn't enough
for a niche store maybe but if it's one of those regional used stores you probably only need a basic understanding of tv, games, or music. You aren't going to be taking in trades for a while anyway and all you really need to know is how to use discogs/ebay and how to visually grade a record/disc.
>>
>>64404780
Sounds like you work at a flea market
>>
>>64404584
this is great advice anon

i'm at a shit time in my life too, had a nervous breakdown and don't have much going for me but i'm working at it, slowly tryin to get help and break my shitty habits. we'll all get there.
>>
>>64404900
oh no, i mean at record shops. having "good taste" doesn't mean much

most record shops have had the same few employees for ever and aren't really looking for anyone to hire. when they are, it's going to go to someone they know well
>>
>>64404903
Not that anon but...

Nah, we have those kind of shops here. Just used media/books. They're sort of a dying breed though.
>>
>>64404903
I mean people just abuse shit when they buy it. Nothing will pain you more than a vinyl trade coming in with like top quality titles. $100+ rare titles of bands that you like and then you slide it out of the sleeve and it's warped, scratched to hell, etc.

Same will happen with CDs and movies but games especially. We had someone bring in a copy of Fallout 4 maybe 5 days after it was released with a big cigarette burn in the center. The shit you'll see will never cease to amaze you if you take a job in one of these stores.
>>
>>64405026
Not a record store.
>>64405031
I don't care. You are boring
>>
>>64405031
jesus christ this shit gave me anxiety lmao
>>
>>64402926
People just don't understand us, anthony
>>
>>64405031
the best albums were the ones people tripped to, and they're shit as a result
>>
>>64404114
>tfw had a comfy retail job with cool ass coworkers

It sucked a lot but most of the time it was nice
>>
>>64403656
m8 you need to stop giving a fuck about what people think
>>
>>64405031
Do you take any electronics?

We've gotten game consoles that are infested with roaches, I shit you not.
>>
>>64404972

you can do it dude! i started last year with $12 in the bank. i wanted more than to just end up hanging myself in the room i grew up in. i ended up being able to move out by may of last year and buying a car. I live in a nice house with 3 roommates and things are actually really going really well. I have my ups and downs (my depression's been in full effect for the last 2 weeks) but it gets better it really does.
>>
>>64405064
>>64405072
>>64405079
There was a guy that came in with a much of wrestling dvds.

someone started to look through it and opened up a box set. Baby cockroaches just poured out of the thing.

Literally everyone behind the counter just stared at it in shock for at least 30 seconds not knowing what to do. The guy literally wan't embarrassed about it either. Just started squashing them and thinking it was real funny.
>>
>>64405120
haha, yeah. that shit definitely happens as evidenced here>>64405195

Most of the time we are allowed to pass if something is in too rough of condition or just generally disgusting but some of the managers just don't care and will take it in then make us clean it.
>>
Man I'm so sick of being a neet, hopefully this ace hardware opening up hires me wish me luck dudes
>>
File: 1458787901538.jpg (113 KB, 685x474) Image search: [Google]
1458787901538.jpg
113 KB, 685x474
>>64405064
t. Shithead mu teen

Your favorite pass time is gargling semen, isn't it?
>>
File: Camediapix_1608_1270153409.jpg (88 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Camediapix_1608_1270153409.jpg
88 KB, 800x600
>>64405300
Checked
>>
I got a job at a whole foods and the other people here are real cool. Made some good friends. The actual work kinda sucks because I'm just ringing up groceries for 8 hours but it's really easy, and money is decent compared to other retail jobs. Flexible hours which is good for me as a college student. Management is really chill too, but I'm a hard worker so they like me anyway.

Also you sound like an asshole OP. Look forward to having some pocket change and maybe meeting /mu/ friends. If you're parents are kicking you out it sounds like you aren't even making NEETbux. Save some money, go to concerts, buy some records or do whatever.

Shit I really sound like a normie now, I think I might've changed.
>>
>>64405355
Double Checked
>>
>>64402097
welcome to the real world faggot

it's not like in clerks where you can be rude to customers and do fuck all and still keep a job

plus record stores don't hire fat loser NEETs you need to look trendy
>>
>>64402929
Assuming this isn't ebic satire, why haven't you started the grind for the bux?
Thread replies: 127
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.