[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you define Vapourwave and what is some essential listening?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: 1443204041994.png (63 KB, 367x202) Image search: [Google]
1443204041994.png
63 KB, 367x202
How do you define Vapourwave and what is some essential listening?
It's one of those words I always see floating around but have no idea what it really means.

pic unrelated
>>
>>64393683
mac+
BB
>>
>>64393697
Are these artists or are you having a stroke?
>>
File: tumblr_o4vjcot0Q81qbapgqo1_1280.jpg (860 KB, 1067x1920) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o4vjcot0Q81qbapgqo1_1280.jpg
860 KB, 1067x1920
>>64393708
those are bad artists. They're kind of a filter: if you can still find something interesting in them but are lucid enough to realize that they suck, then you're ready to dig into the actual good stuff.
>>64393683
Vaporwave is to 80s/90s pop culture what martial industrial is to fascism.
Originally a parodic take on it that eventually grew into a legit movement that tries to recapture the same feeling through sampling and sound distortion.
Vaporwave is like the music equivalent of Everything is Terrible.
>>
>>64393851
what would you call thr good stuff?
>>
>>64393907
nobody agrees on it
personally I like futurefunk (saint pepsi, aloe island posse, delta topco, shit like that) but "trve vaporwavers" think it's too close to french house and not ambient enough. Which is usually correct.

Vaperror does some cool stuff.
>>
File: 1414440990731.jpg (3 MB, 3500x5000) Image search: [Google]
1414440990731.jpg
3 MB, 3500x5000
>>64393907
Outdated but still helpful
There has been tons of releases since this so that part is on you, I don't even think 2184 is on here.
>>
>>64393990
The only good thing about Holograms is the butt on the cover art.
>>
>>64393990
I really liked NMesh and VentureX
>>
>>64393683
Chuck Person's Eccojams Vol. 1 is usually considered the catalyst of vaporwave. I really like that album.
>>
Vaporwave is a subgenre of plunderphonics. If you don't know what plunderphonics is, it's basically made by taking pre-existing music or recordings and making an entirely different composition out of it.

It's almost always completely consists of samples, and will usually consist of sampling 80s pop music, muzak, smooth jazz, etc. It's somewhat inspired by chopped and screwed and the likes. A lot of it is completely talentless and embarrassing though, and you're better of listening to actual plunderphonics.

The only albums in vaporwave that I would consider "essential" are Far Side Virtual by James Ferraro and Eccojams Vol. 1 by Chuck Person/Oneohtrix Point Never, but there are a few other good albums that I can recommend.

Saint Pepsi - Hit Vibes
Eyeliner - High Fashion Mood Music
Luxury Elite & Saint Pepsi - Late Night Delight
Yamato Kobayashi - 商業的な仕事 1993-2004
MediaFired - The Pathway Through Whatever
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.