[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Live performance story
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 2
File: Aarambha.jpg (2 MB, 2604x1779) Image search: [Google]
Aarambha.jpg
2 MB, 2604x1779
'Sup /mu/. /pol/fag here. Tired of niggers and jew threads. Everyone tells me to avoid /mu/ and I didn't know where to post this so here we go.

About two weeks back, me and my band were performing at a band competing. Mostly shitty, emo 15 year olds screaming over 4 chord distorted guitars and double bass 16th notes. All in 4/4.

But my band is jazz fusion. I immediately had a problem when setting up. The drums were too small for my 6"2', 80kg frame. The tone wasn't proper. And the bass drum clicks instead of booming, has triggers. Can't feather it at all.

The keyboard had a delay between pressing and the sound coming. The mics were all strewn about and mismanaged.

(1/2)
>>
>>64385171
So they take about 3 hours to set up (very unprofessional). We're (my band's) getting antsy. Finally they get shit working.

We do a soundcheck, everything seems fine. But when we start our first set, the sound engineer starts fucking up. The guitars are too low, the keyboard is too sharp and the drum tone just isn't working. After all our express instructions, he runs it on presets. Stagehands pop up while we're pushing through our shitty set and try to figure out the problems. In the middle of the performance! Fucking hell! Needless to say, I'm still pissed. We of course didn't get to the finals.

Reminder to you musician goyims, don't skimp on and rush the soundcheck when you're performing. We were tired and just wanted to get the fuck outta there so we finished our performance ASAP. Don't do that. Make sure everything is working EXACTLY as you need it to.

For anyone curious, here's the songs we performed. Not self shilling, just check it out of you want.

Jazz/light-bop cover of Nepalese folk - https://youtu.be/lq4uy5Vgj9Y

OC rockabilly - https://youtu.be/ijVb5INAYZM

This is played on my shitty amp and recorded on my phone. Sorry about the quality. From band practice.
>>
Le bamba?
>>
Really? Bump? Final one.
>>
>>64385171
Why would you not be using your own drum set?
>>
>>64385934
I heard they had a good Tama kit with Remo Emperor skins. So I just took my cymbals.

Only when I got there it was all out of tune and overtone galore. The snare was beautiful though, better than mine. Might have to change the drumhead.
>>
>>64385171
>Tired of niggers and jew
>plays jazz fusion
lmao
>>
>>64385171
I've been through a few good shit-shows. Here's the most recent one:

>get added to a tech-death show last minute after one of the local supporting bands dropped their spot
>since it was so last minute, my bandmates took that to mean the show didn't matter and spent hours drinking at the bar before our set
>while we were setting up our gear, I noticed the rhythm guitarist brought his busted Line 6 head
>he was supposed to borrow his friend's 5150
>he said his Line 6 started working again last night, and he was sure it was going to be fine
>fuck it, finish setting up and hope for the best
>our set opens with me leading everyone in with the intro riff
>the drummer is so drunk he miscounts and comes in a beat late and stops playing
>he expects the band to stop and restart, but eventually figures out that he's supposed to jump back in
>luckily he manages to find the beat and comes back in okay
>sure enough, on the next song the Rhythm Guitarist's line 6 starts fizzling out and clipping obnoxiously
>the sound guy turns him down and centers my guitar to try to make us sound less shitty
>it works for the most part until Rhythm Guitarist gets mad he can't hear himself, turns up his clipping amp, and hijacks the vocalist's mic in the middle of the song to tell the sound guy to turn him up
>after the song ends, sound guy gets on the mic and tells him he can't turn him up, his amp is fucked
>we effectively play the rest of the show with him muted and sulkingly miming along to the songs
>the drunk bassist gets too into one of the songs and ends up knocking the mic on my cab over
>30 seconds of no guitar in the crowd speakers until sound guy comes up on stage and re-places the mic

What's funny is my bandmates cite that show as the reason to not get drunk or stoned before shows, yet still every single time one of them ends up over-doing it a bit before playing. At least there haven't been any major fuck-ups since then
>>
>>64386045
Tired of the circle/memejerk threads I mean. And yes, the irony is clear. Kek.

>>64386161
Holy fuck! How'd the audience react?

My lead guitarist has a habit of getting drunk. Just enough to calm his nerves though. My bandmates are clean, only I have a habit of smoking.

Once he (guitarist) played sober. He was scared shitless before the show. "Is it alright if I don't take a solo?". I watched our performance tape later, all the bandmates were enjoying my drum solo, looking back at me. He had this expression on "Let me off this stage!", eyes bewildered and sweating.
>>
Someone had a heart attack when I was performing at school in 10th grade. I was playing Paganini Caprice 24. I was focusing so hard on not fucking up, and the spotlight was so bright, that I had no idea that someone nearly died when I was playing until an hour after it was over.

For the last 3 weeks, that's all anyone talked to me about in school.
>>
>>64386263
>How'd the audience react?
It was a pretty small crowd considering it was a weekday tech-death show, probably no more than 30 people there. We still got mediocre polite cheers after songs, no booing or heckling or anything like that. A couple friends in the audience told us afterwards they could tell we fucked up a couple times, but it wasn't as bad as we thought it was. You can never believe friends at shows though, they always sugarcoat it
>>
>>64386401
What was he playing? Instrument?

>>64386524
I know, dude. You can fuck up pretty bad and have the audience staring at you in disbelief and still your friends will tell you it was a good set.
>>
File: doubt.png (29 KB, 300x162) Image search: [Google]
doubt.png
29 KB, 300x162
>>64386401
>10th grade
>Paganini Caprice 24

Vocaroo or gtfo
>>
>>64387471
It's 4 AM dude. I'll fucking do it if I remember to though.
>>
>>64385993
Do you have a tour manager to blame for it? No? Then why the fuck do you come to your own fucking show unprepared?
>>
>>64387562
YOU BETTER REMEMBER
>>
>>64387726
ALRIGHT MANE SHIT I'LL DO IT
I'm 19 now though so it isn't nearly as impressive though.
Or I could ask my parents if they still have the original recording. Which do you prefer?
>>
>>64387768
i kinda want to see both
but it'd probably be easier if you just vocaroo yourself
>>
>>64385183
>dat sax tone

jesus christ. its like the guy has been playing for only a week
>>
>>64387900
That's me! Haha! Playin for about 3 months though. And the tone is for the song. Nepali folk instruments have that no vibrato, scratching, brassy sound. I did use a little vibrato and some dynamics in one place in that recording but we decided against it later.

>>64387700
Yeah, it was an error of judgment.
>>
>>64387802
Alright, anon. I did some digging and I found it.
I know my violin was out of tune the whole time but I was just a lil boy.
Also try your best not to fucking kill yourself because this was recorded with my mom's LG Dare.
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0zUkQ2zv7sO
>>
>>64387990
>Playin for about 3 months though

ok, that makes sense. how much do you practice?
im a trumpet man myself but recently i got a clarinet. Not as easy as it looks
>>
>>64388055
Fucking hell, dude! You played Paganini? And wow! Are you still playing? Because you should!
>>
>>64388084
I am still. But I'm at college right now, and I brought my violin back home last weekend because things tend to be stolen more frequently on finals week, so i can't do the "now" recording just yet.
>>
>>64388083
Trumpet and violin are two instruments I would like to play well (bearable while listening) but I honestly do not have the patience and time to practice them. The two toughest instruments I have gotten my hands on. Drums and sax takes up a lot of my time. And that's me on the drums in the recording.

I'm actually practicing sax right now. Ronnie Cuber's bari sax solo on "Moanin'" on my alto.
I put in about 15-20 hours a week. Scattered unevenly. Sometimes the whole day, sometimes not at all. I work in bursts of mania.
>>
All sound guys are just bitter failed musicians who just want the night to be over as soon as possible.
>>
>>64388101
>>64388055
wow wth, good on ya man
>>
>>64388127
thats cool. i'm sure you will find the time sooner or later. to play all the instruments is my goal as well.

i just don't know how people can stick to only one and not get bored
>>
>>64388055
Can't tell if it's a ripped youtube video with added reverb or an actual recording of your performance. Though it's probably more probable for a tripfag to make shit up, so I'm guessing it's the former
>>
>>64388300
Idk what to say to that.
I could just record myself playing it at home, cut it off at the neck so you don't see my face, and upload it to my personal YouTube, so that you'd be slightly less skeptical, but again, you're gonna have to remind me to do that.
>>
>>64388300
naw you just gotta listen for a guy having a heart attack somewhere in there
>>
>>64388406
Kek
>>
>>64388343
Don't worry. ^ is being an asshole.

>>64388221
GoT something
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0YDFwHzQ4Fh
>>
>>64388055
why didn't anyone clap
>>
>>64388463
Because I've spent 5 long years on this shitty board and I wanted a reason to quit it, so I made it super obvious that I was a lying hack so I would be shunned from it have some motivation to get some actual work done.
>>
>>64388428
>http://vocaroo.com/i/s0YDFwHzQ4Fh
i don't really know if thats good or bad for 3 months, but you still have a looong way to go. Hope you won't give it up.
heres some of my free improv fuckery. the guitar is detuned af tho, but the drummer's p good so maybe you like. lofi recorded on a shitty phone
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0yNiWhzrkKS
>>
>>64388871
I accidentally played the GoT theme while practicing some licks and just recorded it. My tone and innotations definitely need some work but I can play bearably and on time once I'm familiar with a piece.

And I like the free jam, dude. Nothing like taking a lick and going nuts with your friends.
>>
>>64389056
yeah, nothing else quite like it. going crazy with some friends and not giving a fuck, just quality time.

do you learn from tutorials or all by yourself?
i have this cool trick with a clarinet mouthpiece; i stick it in a ~2meter long garden hose and use some bigger tubes to resonate the low frequencies. it's really fun to play with. the end result sounds kinda like a didgeridoo but somewhat different
>>
>>64389191
Polyrhythms, beyatch. If this is what you do on mu, I could do it all day. Fun shit.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0OMAOX6WYdR

Music theory was, obviously, through sorta formal learning. Usually, I try to learn instruments by ear. Some instrument architectures are easy to understand and once you find the C, you can start on scales easily.
>>
>>64389191
Oh and my friend used to do that with a trumpet mouthpiece. Practice his scales quietly at night. Put cushion foam inside the pipe.
>>
>>64389410
i do that myself too ; > i think its called a hosaphone. Did he spin the hose while playing? if not, he totally should
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.