[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Residents
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6
File: reswall.jpg (464 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
reswall.jpg
464 KB, 1920x1080
Any love for the Residents here on /mu/? There are rarely threads for them.
>best early album?
>best later album?
>most overrated?
>most underrated?
>favorite songs?
>seen Theory of Obscurity? what did you think?
>seen them live recently?
i'll answer all my own questions ITT and post some Residents pictures. Help me keep the thread alive and generate some discussion. Love u guys
>>
hoping to see them next week
>>
File: residentsginger.jpg (8 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
residentsginger.jpg
8 KB, 480x360
>>64384493
OP here
>best early album
Not Available. Their best album.
>best later album
Wormwood, God in Three Persons, Gingerbread Man
>Overrated
Third Reich'n'Roll
>Underrated
God in Three Persons, The Big Bubble, Fingerprince
>favorite songs
Making of a Soul, Godsong, Lillie, Kiss of Flesh
>seen TOO
yeah, it was alright. pretty dumb that they tried to make it a mystery who was in the band, and then interviewed all the band members. I guess the illusion is important to them (although I assume Homer is the only active member left)
>seen them live?
had a college exam when they played in TO. Wish I couldve gone.
>>
i quite like fingerprince, anything with snakefinger is great. i saw them when they came to vancouver a few weeks ago and when i say them, i mean the main singer and a couple of other stand ins that I guess he's been touring with for a while now. not sure what happened to the other original members.

i didnt know about the story of their first show from theory of obscurity which was pretty interesting.
>>
File: Residents_god_in_3_persons.jpg (12 KB, 220x220) Image search: [Google]
Residents_god_in_3_persons.jpg
12 KB, 220x220
>>64384651
yeah I had assumed that the sax player was a fictional character. but I laughed when Homer smiled and said " yeah I think I was in the audience for that" yeah fuckin right, he was on stage with them!
He's a really underrated vocalist and lyricist. I've pointed out before that even scaruffi called The Big Bubble an important post-modern experiment in voice.
>>
I've listened to Meet the Residents and Not Available, both are solid. Maybe I need to explore them more.
>>
File: Not_Available.jpg (50 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Not_Available.jpg
50 KB, 300x300
>>64384765
they've got a large discography, and their more theatrical albums are fantastic if you enjoy concepts/stories no other band would dare tackle.
God in Three Persons and Freak Show are great, but if you have only heard those two I would rec starting chronologically. Most of their albums are different enough to warrant listening to. Eskimo is their most critically acclaimed aside from Not Available.
Also the quality does really fall off in the 2000's, but everything pre-2000 is good. If you don't enjoy their 90s and 00s stuff you definitely won't like their modern stuff.
>>
>tfw own a glorious first press of Commercial Album
>>
>>64384996
damn, man. I'm jealous. I always keep an eye out for their albums but haven't seen any. I'm too poor to order them online
>>
>>64385011
Commercial Album first presses aren't actually very costly

You can snag them for 25-35 bucks usually
>>
>>64385039
I'll keep an eye out mang.
>>
I love freakshow to death
>>
File: residents.jpg (32 KB, 447x250) Image search: [Google]
residents.jpg
32 KB, 447x250
>>64385397
yeah I really like the album but I watched the live show on youtube and it looked terrible. The live MC was just bad, while the narrator on the album is tolerable.
The first time I heard it I immediately listened to it again, and then many more times for the next week. as I said in >>64384645 Lillie is a great song and really underrated.
If you like Freak Show but haven't heard Gingerbread Man you should definitely check it out.
>>
File: timdead.jpg (61 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
timdead.jpg
61 KB, 400x300
bump.
>>
Still gravitate towards Duck Stab and Third Reich and Roll more than any other of their releases, except in the summer on very hot and humid days. Then I play Eskimo. Haven't heard any post 2000 albums, but still like all the pre 2000 releases.
>>
>>64386587
Demons Dance Alone is worth a listen. It's a record exploring post 9/11 themes. But mostly it's just worth a listen for the comfy and familiar singing/themes/sounds.
The artistic quality is no where near the early stuff, but that doesn't mean it isn't interesting music. Still better than most popular music.
Life would be woderful gets stuck in my head all the time.
>>
I like Tweedles.
>>
>>64386970
I have it downloaded but like Animal Lover I haven't listened to it. Is it worth the time? If I enjoy demons dance alone I'll probably enjoy those two right?
>>
>>64387124
I dunno, haven't listened to DDA. From a quick listen though, it doesn't seem very similar.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.