[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thoughts on Sun Ra?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (46 KB, 520x396) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
46 KB, 520x396
Thoughts on Sun Ra?
>>
He wuz a king an shiet
>>
More like moon nah
>>
Pretty great. Don't expect much love from meme-ing whitebois tho.
>>
>>64383333
nice quads
>>
He died the day I was born.

I feel like that was a very uneven trade.
>>
>>64383259
Hehehe

>>64383512
Anon, you're Sun Ra's reincarnation.
>>
i tried listening to space is the place and it felt kinda corny
>>
Never listened to him, what's his best album?
>>
>>64383620
Atlantis is his best.

Space Is The Place is pretty good as well. Some people like >>64383582 can't get past the cornyness of it though. I don't think it's such a problem.
>>
>>64383620
he has a ridiculously large backlog and you'll struggle to find a consensus on that

lanquidity is a good place to start if you want to start exploring his work
>>
>>64383620
i'm so jealous right now
when i wanted to first get into him i asked this and received nothing but responses of WE WUZ KANGZ N SHIET
>>
>>64383215
Don't know how to get into things like Atlantis desu.

I like lanquidity and Jazz in Silhouette tho
>>
File: 1461047391885.png (389 KB, 431x450) Image search: [Google]
1461047391885.png
389 KB, 431x450
>>64383215
KAINGS
>>
>>64383215
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNkAJ08Dpqg
>>
Trippy. Spacy. Great stuff, and if you like Jazz, that's even better.
>>
Any of y'all checked out Angels and Demons at Play? Or Nubians of Plutonia?

Those are both pretty short albums but they are groovy as fuckkkk and some of his most Eastern-influenced music
>>
>>64383620
Jazz in Silhouette is my favourite but most people will tell you Atlantis.
I like Jazz in Silhouette because it takes that swingy/big band element so prevalent in the immediate post-war period and throws a blue/purple coat over the top of it. It's not Sun-Ra or even his groups best playing but it's such honest Jazz that's great for both sitting back into and enjoying and also leaning forward and listening to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA9jtl84-Eo

(most of the songs are not vocal)
>>
>>64383333
you are a white boy

and yes sun ra was amazing
>>
>>64383620
it depends on what you're specifically looking far as he's dabbled in a couple of different styles and has a pretty large output. try lanquidity or supersonic jazz.
>>
Funnily, We Wuz Kangz-core tends to be really, really good.

Or I suppose, why not? Art isn't supposed to be like rational or factually-sound or anything. Aesthetics are their own truth.
>>
>>64387336
his aesthetic has literally nothing to do with those beliefs anyway you dunce
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.