[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /mu/, my friend hust introduced me to Progressive Rock, and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6
Hey /mu/, my friend hust introduced me to Progressive Rock, and I love it. What are some the essential Progressive Rock albums? Pic related: First album I listened to.
>>
Close to the edge by Yes and some pink Floyd
>>
Rush, King Crimson, Yes, the list goes on for great Prog
>>
all kc albums
soft machine - third
>>
>>64382025
All of Rush, Yes, Pink Floyd, The Alan Parsons Project, and Asia. Also have been enjoying Saga lately.
>>
>>64382025

Yes - Fragile, The Yes Album, Close to the Edge
King Crimson - Red, Discipline
Jethro Tull - Thick as a brick (maybe aqualung but that's not as prog)
Gentle Giant - Octopus, Acquiring the Taste, The Power and The Glory
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here, Dark side of the moon, Animals, Meddle

>>64382984

I always found Asia pretty mediocre and not that prog
>>
>>64382025
Spare yourself Floyd.

Here's some conventionally essential runs:

Genesis: 'Nursery Cryme' to 'The Lamb' (I personally like neither 'Foxtrot' nor 'Selling' though)
Yes: 'The Yes Album' to 'Close to the Edge' + Relayer
Gentle Giant: 'Octopus' to 'Free Hand'

Then it is a matter of filtering out albums in which little happens. A visit to PA has just reminded me of Focus' 'Hamburger Concerto'. Then there are semi-minor gems such as 'Szobel' or 'First Utterance'.
>>
>>64383159
>>64383125
>Discipline

Right, regarding '80s' KC, essential is 'Absent Lovers'.
>>
Emerson, Lake and Palmer
>>
>>64383125
I don't blame you, I hear that a lot from a lot of people. I guess I just really enjoy their music in general.
>>
File: Cover.jpg (195 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Cover.jpg
195 KB, 500x500
>>
If your really looking for something The Mars Volta is a good band.
>>
>>64383125

To add onto King Crimson, Starless and Bible Black is also a great album

>>64383285

Don't do this OP
>>
>>64383125
You missed "Three Friends" for GG. My favorite by them, amazing album.

>>64383159
Man you crazy, Selling England by the Pound is one of their best. I agree with you though, OP doesn't need any help discovering Pink Floyd.

My Recs (aside from whats been mentioned already, which is all good, except maybe Asia):

Camel - Mirage, Moonmadness, The Snow Goose, s/t

Gryphon - Treason

Rick Wakeman - Journey to the Centre of the Earth
>>
File: Cover.jpg (376 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
Cover.jpg
376 KB, 1000x1000
I hope you don't pay attention to vocals OP
>>
>>64383372
>Gryphon - Treason

Man, there's a Gryphon album better than 'RQ2G3'?

>>64383401
Confirming.
>>
Definitely try the essentials like Rush, Yes, Pink Floyd, Alan Parsons, more King Crimson, and Asia even though they're more pop-oriented prog. Some other good ones are:

Strawbs, U.K., Van Der Graaf Generator, Jethro Tull, Moody Blues, Spock's Beard, Marillion, Emerson Lake and Palmer, Genesis, Le Orme, Grobschnitt, Camel, Gentle Giant, some of Deep Purple, ELO, Family, Gong, ABWH, Mahavishnu Orchestra, some of Traffic, Atheist, Protest The Hero, Opeth, Frank Zappa/Mothers Of Invention, The Nice, later Death, Procol Harum, Amon Duul II, Hawkwind, Rainbow, Renaissance, Utopia, Soft Machine, Tool, Trans-Siberian Orchestra, Symphony X, Uriah Heep, most Voivod, many others.
>>
>>64383372

In A Glass House is also essential GG

Can't believe I forgot about rick wakeman when listing off albums earlier though.
If you like Journey to the Centre of the Earth OP then you should check out Jeff Wayne's musical version of War of The Worlds
>>
>>64383448
(I mean, confirming the rec, not the vocals comment.)
>>
File: dean.jpg (25 KB, 477x273) Image search: [Google]
dean.jpg
25 KB, 477x273
>>64382025
Be careful there Dean
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af8ltlcZNi0
>>
>>64383468
Way to recommend OP some 1,000 albums in total.

I hate useless posts like this.
>>
The Stranglers are generally considered post-punk, but some of their material has prog influences, take Nice and Sleazy for example. Magazine has some prog sounds on their first record too.
>>
No love for The Mars Volta
>>
>>64383448
I don't know about better, but its damn good. Its more straight forward prog. RQ2G3 always felt more like some kind of middle ages reconstruction piece to me, with that weird bouncy organ/synth thrown in. I love it, but I wouldn't recommend it as a starting point to a new fan to the genre.
>>
>>64383511
I do love them, 'Cassandra Gemini' alone would make a great album.
>>
File: Cover.jpg (699 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
Cover.jpg
699 KB, 1000x1000
>>64383498
song name?

>>64383478
I mean paying attention to vocals is important but unless you actually learn Zeuhl there's not much point when listening to Magma

Also this too, OP.
>>
File: 1459741831662.jpg (2 MB, 1500x3102) Image search: [Google]
1459741831662.jpg
2 MB, 1500x3102
If you are not trolling... try to listen all the list :3 That´s what I did
>>
>>64383547
You mean Frances the mute?
>>
>>64383668
I meant that 'Cassandra' alone is enough to fill an album. It's massive.
>>
>>64383625

Fairly certain the song is an original made for the show, but it sounds pretty close to Machine Messiah by Yes
>>
>>64383729
I was memeing, but I haven't actually listened to Drama yet, should get on that soon.
>>
>>64383729
>it sounds pretty close to Machine Messiah by Yes

The beginning, yes, and the 1:34 bit is similar to 'the seasoned witch...' from 'CttE'.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.