[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it acceptable to like this if you're 16+ years old?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1
File: 51vB5KkMaEL.jpg (49 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
51vB5KkMaEL.jpg
49 KB, 500x500
Is it acceptable to like this if you're 16+ years old?
>>
I don't like Built to Spill and I didn't when I first heard them when I was 14.
>>
What kind of stupid question is this? Why would it not be acceptable, because it's upbeat?
>>
Why wouldn't it be?
>>
I'm over 18 and I love it, and I guarantee I live a better life than most of you on here, so yes.
>>
>>64378749
Of course it is, but I don't get it when people cite this as their favorite Built to Spill album.
I've always preferred There's Nothing Wrong With Love and Perfect From Now On
>>
>>64379626
my dude, theres nothing wrong with love is so good
>>
>>64378749
>Is it acceptable to like this if you're 16+ years old?

did this album become a meme for kids getting into music? I've been listening to it since it was new-ish
>>
>>64378749
No. In fact, it's unacceptable to like any music if you're 16+ years old.
>>
You in Reverse is their secret best album
>>
>>64379707
Around that age it's babby's first indie rock along with Modest Mouse.
>>
>>64379626
It helps that The Plan to Sidewalk is an amazing run of songs.
>>
>>64379705
Not nearly enough appreciation for that album on this board. It's easily top 100 for me though.
>>
>>64379763
eh, I could see that. funny how things turn out.

what about Doolittle? is that still babby's first indie album (well, I guess it pre-dates "indie" as a term, but basically indie rock)

>>64379801
this. I got a copy of PFNO when it came out but I gave it to my gf, it just didn't click with me
>>
>>64380001
I'm not really sure. I've seen Pixies loved by those who only listened to classic and hard rock back in high school, but that was usually the max extent of their "indie" tastes, if you want to call it that.

Also, if you haven't given PFNO enough tries already, I would go back to it. It's not as immediate as KILAS, but it proves to be the most rewarding with enough listens.
>>
>>64378749
Keep It Like a Secret, PFNO, You In Reverse, TINWWL and most of There Is No Enemy range from great to AOTY so yeah, it's perfectly fine to like BTS.
>>
>>64380249
>Also, if you haven't given PFNO enough tries already, I would go back to it.

you're probably right, but I'm not doing much with indie these days except listening to stuff that's already tried-and-true. but maybe I ought to take your advice. my current exploration is all 40s and 50s R&B.
>>
>>64380267
What went wrong with Ancient Melodies of the Future? It should have a lot going for it. It has Phil Ek producing like on the other albums. There are a lot of subtle sonic textures dispersed throughout the album. This should have been the ultimate culmination of everything Built to Spill were doing in the 90s, yet every time I come back to this album I find that I only like Strange, Trimmed and Burning, and The Weather.
>>
>>64378749
Music? No, after 14 you should grow out of music.
>>
of course
although in my case i stopped listening to pacific northwest indie / indie rock altogether at about 21
k records still holds a very special place in my heart though :-)
>>
>>64379626
I think most cite Perfect From Now On as their best.
>>
>>64378749
Is it acceptable to tell you to fuck off?
>>
>>64380472
On both Ancient Melodies of the Future and his solo album, I think Doug focused too much on just writing the songs instead of letting them take a life of their own and breath a little. If they had jammed any in the recording sessions for that album, it could've been KILAS tier.
>>
>>64380911
What a shame. I feel like that was the band's last chance to make something really good. You In Reverse was a huge improvement but still doesn't compare to the 90s trilogy. Ever since they lost Ek the production has been getting worse. Untethered Moon is almost unlistenable as a result.
>>
>>64381083
But There Is No Enemy and Untethered Moon are really good
>>
>>64379626
Literally how could you not think this is their best album I actually can't wrap it around my head that people think it's not
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.