[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Noise: why is it so shit?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2
File: pharmakon-east-coast-2014.jpg (69 KB, 636x380) Image search: [Google]
pharmakon-east-coast-2014.jpg
69 KB, 636x380
Why does noise music, which is supposedly totally built on the foundation of total radicalism and freedom and invidivualism, all sound the same?
Why are noise fans so pretentious yet so incapable of explaining what the merit of noise music is?
Is noise music a scam exploiting gullible idiots desperate to be seen as being into something "radical"?
Is noise music for losers?
Is noise music for ex-metalheads who now want to look intelligent but still can't let go of bonheaded "extremism" in sound and imagery?
>>
>>64376650
It seems that way because you don't understand the context

Same as how the world lacks emotional meaning due to your aspergers
>>
File: 1410898569816.jpg (16 KB, 300x285) Image search: [Google]
1410898569816.jpg
16 KB, 300x285
Why does noise always have to be 2spooky4me?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlMkQgxZqow
>>
>>64376650
Honestly noise music attracts people without talent or creativity looking for the easiest route to make music. That's why so much of it is pure dreck.
>>
Most noise "music" is dude walls of sound LMAO tryhard shit. Very little artists have used sheer noise to craft something original. Merzbow is the only known noise artist because he is literally one of the only people to make noise good.
>>
>>64376650
The reason is simple as fuck.

Your musical taste is just one in a world with many types musical tastes out there.
So someone must make music to all those guys that dont share the same taste you (unless you want to force everyone to listen to only to the stuff you like, but them a guy with the same opinion as you but different taste would fuck with this system you are proposing)
>>
>Why does noise music, which is supposedly totally built on the foundation of total radicalism and freedom and invidivualism, all sound the same?

Because you don't listen to noise

>Why are noise fans so pretentious yet so incapable of explaining what the merit of noise music is?

Because you won't ask and instead whine on 4chan

>Is noise music a scam exploiting gullible idiots desperate to be seen as being into something "radical"?

Noise is not "about" anything, just as other music isn't static in its motivations

Oh wait, this is bait, I see.
>>
This thread gets made every day.
>>
>>64376650
stop making these threads

you have consistently been given well-informed, insightful opinions to the contrary that have systematically broken down all of your baseless and prejudiced criticisms and you've yet to give an answer in return

fuck off man
>>
>>64376811
In other words, you've never actually made it and don't actually understand what it takes to produce noise.
>>
>>64376974
If it's literally the same thread being posted, report it for spam.
>>
>>64376650
Every time I ctrl+f to find the noise general I'm always forced to see your shitty bait thread, that frankly gets worse every time.

Get over yourself.
>>
Modern noise, yes. Once upon the time, the scene was filled with either disgruntled music professors or creepy pervs (male and female). However, it got some mainstream popularity in the 90s or so and that was the end of it being something to pursue out of passion. Nowadays, most noise artists are talentless hacks who want to be notable somewhere.

Take Pharmakon, for instance. She's a semi-attractive woman that would not succeed elsewhere. She is not a good noise artist at all, but she is easily the most popular nowadays, as she is attractive.

Noise an experiment fighting musical norms is long dead, and there is no reason to check out modern artists unless you really enjoy being in a room with tumblards. At best, you should only check it out to see its historical presence. It should only exist as a historical novelty, not something to continue doing, similar to free jazz and free improvisation.
>>
>>64377058
>Noise an experiment fighting musical norms is long dead

And why does it have to be about this? I was on board with you until this pretentious garbage. I see so many so called noise fans parroting this, yet they don't understand that some people actually like listening to noise and don't just want to "like" it to go along with some arbitrary "statement".
>>
>>64377058
>Modern noise, yes.
>Nowadays, most noise artists are talentless hacks who want to be notable somewhere.
This is only really a problem because of the internet, and platforms like Soundcloud and Bandcamp. It gives a wider and more visible platform for tasteless kids to spam their effortless and poorly-realised projects. The immediacy and availability of the whole thing has made every bedroom teenager be able to find out about noise through 4chan et al, think it's a free pass to just do whatever, slap some black and white image on it, and post a link in the /noise/ thread, all in the same night.

I imagine there was a similar phenomenon when these kids supported local noise/industrial shows; either their halfhearted performance would flop and be met with awkward silence, or they'd be booed off stage. Kids can do this online now with zero consequence other than a "Fuck off" reply.

Honestly, noise is as strong as ever, it's just surrounded by more shit. There are still a lot of exciting artists and labels, and much of the old guard are still going, too.
>>
we have similar shaped faces, i wonder if she would let me kiss her butt based upon that merit.
>>
>>64377317
Good job bumping this shit, asshat
>>
>>64377342
I meant to sage but forgot
>>
>>64376991
>In other words, you've never actually made it and don't actually understand what it takes to produce noise.
Believe me, I've made it and I'm very familiar with noise.

Noise is full of one trick ponies.
>>
>>64377474
Only the shitty artists are one trick ponies. The same goes for any genre.

There's just a larger proportion of them, like you said. To me, noise is still one of the most exciting genres, if not just for its huge emphasis on extramusical factors.
>>
>>64377474
>Believe me, I've made it
I don't!
>>
>>64376939
>static
that's all you had to say, my dude :^)
>>
Noise is garbage with no redeeming qualities. It's neither music or sound art. Do you really expect me to listen to some low iq cretin put a contact mic into a washing machine and be impressed with the results? Fuck you, pretentious hipster piece of shit
>>
>>64378285
Feel special now?
>>
>>64378285
B-but futurism! B-but dada! B-but John Cage! B-but William Burroughs!
>>
>>64378334
>implying a noise fan cares about any of that or that noise has anything to do with some stupid art statement

But by all means, go ahead and squeeze all that sarcasm out so your life feels like it has meaning
>>
>>64378363
your godhead merzbow has cited these and many others as his influences
seems like you don't even acknowledge what you are listening to
>>
>>64378412
All noise isn't the same nor are artist motivations. I don't even care for Merzbow all that much. It seems like you don't even know how to think in more than one direction.
>>
>>64378440
>I don't even care for Merzbow all that much.
>I don't even care for one of the most important and influential noise artists of all time that much

Shows how much you know about noise, you fucking clown.
Saying you like noise but don't care about Merzbow is the same as saying you like the blues but don't care about Howlin' Wolf or like techno but don't care about Jeff Mills: it's not something anyone with any idea of what they're talking about is going to say.
>>
>>64378440
dude literally just read the wikipedia article on noise these guys are all there, they're clear influences to the genre
>>
>>64378285
kill yourself
>>
>>64378482
>You have to like an influential artist to have any knowledge about the genre that they're applicable to

Great job

And for someone who doesn't like noise, you seem to be awfully defensive of it.

>>64378485
And that means that every noise artist is trying to accomplish an art statement? Are you retarded? Maybe get a familiarity with something outside a Wikipedia article.
>>
>>64378544
>You have to like an influential artist to have any knowledge about the genre that they're applicable to

Yes. Especially when it's someone with as large and varied of a discography as Merzbow. Saying you don't like him just sounds like you heard the handful of meme albums you've seen on /mu/ without doing any proper exploration of his discography.

>who doesn't like noise

Where did you get this idea?
>>
>>64378606
You are an idiot. Firstly, no, you don't have to like an influential artist to have any knowledge about the genre. That makes no sense. Secondly, there's more noise than just Japanoise. You are being pretentious and obnoxious.

>Where did you get this idea?

Oh I don't know, maybe from the original post I replied to. Not my fault if you're a different person and decided not to indicate as much. Your tone and idiocy is all the same.
>>
>>64378693
>Firstly, no, you don't have to like an influential artist to have any knowledge about the genre.

As I said, Merzbow's discography has a massive amount of variety to it. Anyone who actually bothered to dig into it beyond the few albums they've seen on /mu/ would find something to appreciate in it.

>there's more noise than just Japanoise.

Japanoise isn't a genre. It's merely a descriptive term for noise music produced in Japan which was used in promotional and mail-order catalog materials in the 80s and 90s to distinguish Japanese artists from European and American ones.
Japanoise doesn't have a specific sound nor method nor is it its own entity in any regard aside from its place of origin, which is something anyone who knows anything about noise is aware of.
You really have no idea what you're talking about and are about the last person qualified to make a convincing argument regarding the qualities of noise.
>>
>>64378815
>Japanoise isn't a genre

I fucking understand that you fucking moron, that has nothing to do with what I'm saying. You're implying that to understand all of noise, you have to come from a background of enjoying Merzbow when European industrial and ritual industrial in particular have completely different motivations and contexts to them. I never said I wasn't familiar with Merzbow, just that I didn't care for him. Yes, I do appreciate some of his discography, that doesn't mean I have to be a die hard fan influenced by him the same way I am for Western European Industrial. I don't think YOU know what you're talking about, because you can't even follow the logic of a fucking conversation. Why are you even carrying on this? Because you want to assert your illusory dominance because you misunderstood the original post? Go fuck yourself.
>>
>>64378891
And before you pull out some "Industrial isn't the same as noise" argument, I'm fucking aware. It's an example. The same goes for European noise.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.