[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to pick up an instrument. Everyone wants to play guitar
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: drums.jpg (168 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
drums.jpg
168 KB, 1920x1080
I want to pick up an instrument. Everyone wants to play guitar and every plays the piano, and I've been thinking what I would have the most fun playing.

I wanna learn how to play drums, I just got my own house and have a lot of free time so I can actually learn them. How long do they take to play at a high level? Anyone here got experience?

Post songs with the most amazing drums to inspire me
>>
>>64371834
i wouldnt learn from ear my dude, watch a couple videos that show tutorials on how to get you started. continue on once you pick up from that and then play along with music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jT57LdAHUs
>>
>>64371834
Never played real drums, but played it on expert on Rock band. What I can tell you is that you should practice your rhythm. Don't get stress out when you realize you suck. Every musician thinks they suck when they start out. You'll get better.
>>
>>64371919
thanks man, I wasn't planning on it. My mom got a set from a garage sale so I'm just gonna mess around on them. And I meant just songs with great drums just to inspire me to want to learn, not to learn how to play from
>>
Idk a lot about playing the drums but when i watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWLdiw0sKg0

at 3:26 when drums go off like that I think that's the coolest thing in the world
>>
I'm a self taught drummer who has been playing for over fifteen years.

Contrary to what that other guy is saying, playing by ear is pretty much the best way to learn drums. You can watch a few videos to make sure you get the technique down, but most of your practice should be playing along to music.

The biggest mistake beginner drummers make is they try to be "too good" too quickly. Like there's probably so many kids out there that think they're great because they memorized a Rush song, when they probably couldn't even handle five minutes of simple no flair 4/4.
>>
>>64372205
"other guy" here and yeah this is solid advice.
>>
>>64371834
Listen to some Stewart Copeland.

Simple yet has more technique then most drummers who are fill-prone.
>>
>>64372205
Begginer drummer here. What are some easy songs to play along to?
>>
https://youtu.be/iJp-7fzXfvU
The drummer from special others is genius, check the guide, another track by them, amazing beats.
>>
>>64372335
Really anything that's not super fast and doesn't have too many fills or other fancy things in there.

I recommend earlier Beatles albums (With the Beatles/A Hard Day's Night), Rolling Stones (Sticky Fingers), and maybe even something like the debut Ramones album.
>>
>>64372335
Anything AC/DC.
>>
>>64372335
Just stay the fuck away from jazz and you'll be fine
>>
>>64372773
this
easy as fuck to start drumming to
>>
>>64371834
>how long do they take to play at a high level?

i'd say less then a year
>>
>>64371834
Your grammar is terrible... You'll make a great drummer
>>
Just start out looking up the basics on youtube, it's always good to practice good technique when you're just starting out. Then start playing along to your favorite songs (don't try to match 1:1 unless they're really simple, just play some solid drum beats over them). Then as you progress you want to look up new drum patterns on youtube, get a practice pad, learn some rudiments and try to get your speed up. Also, don't be afraid to hit the shit out of your drums.
>>
>>64372080
>Never played real drums,
>but played it on expert on Rock band.
/mu/ in a nutshell
>>
>>64371834
what does everyone think about that Avery drummer kid who's been putting up drum videos since he was 6?

he's learning piano and more classic drumming styles from his teachers, which is interesting
>>
File: 1459265508482.jpg (93 KB, 620x670) Image search: [Google]
1459265508482.jpg
93 KB, 620x670
>>64372080
>>64375332
This
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.