[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Prince didn't use drugs, he was a clean guy! Do people
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 9
File: image.jpg (54 KB, 620x413) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
54 KB, 620x413
>Prince didn't use drugs, he was a clean guy!

Do people really not realize the vital role drugs have with music or is it some millennial thing?
>>
go think about shit that actually matters faggot
>>
This deserves more attention.

Not because of Prince, or his character, but because what OP is asking is something that I too have wondered often.

I think the gap isn't so much with millennials as it is with musicians and non-musicians, and effectively drug users and non-drug users.

The culmination of both being a drug user and a musician really is the most eye opening experience, even if it is just dabbling in drug use or music production.

Anyone that has experience in either will easily be able to say that drugs of any sort, the most benign to the hardest available have a great influence- a vital influence- on music, musical phrasing, instrument choice, and engineering.

The heightened awareness that drugs beset the mind with are used as a tool by songwriters, engineers, performers - the focus from caffeine to the total perception distortion of hallucinogens all effect the product and production of music.

In some genres the use of drugs is obviously clear. Many musicians take no pain in hiding there drug use- some effectively addicts- commit an even worse transgression of promoting their drug use which in combination with a popular status, can lead impressionable people to drug use themselves.

Drug users them selves often revolve around music that in a sense amplifies the drug experience- sometimes unconsciously.

Certain drugs have characteristic traits, such as marijuana causing neurons to transmit in random patterns and occasionally backwards. Theses effects on the cells can be a source of inspiration to singer song writers to come up with novel ideas and interesting phrases and word associations.

There is much more to say about "heavier" psychedelics, narcotics, and various other pharmaceutical drugs.
>>
I think the issue here is more so Prince was very private, and it gave the illusion to people that he must have been clean. Suddenly revealing that he did drugs once he died caused denial.
>>
>>64357263
irony much?
>>
This deserves more attention.

Not because of Prince, or his character, but because what OP is asking is something that I too have wondered often.

I think the gap isn't so much with millennials as it is with musicians and non-musicians, and effectively meme users and non-meme users.

The culmination of both being a meme user and a musician really is the most eye opening experience, even if it is just dabbling in meme use or music production.

Anyone that has experience in either will easily be able to say that memes of any sort, the most benign to the hardest available have a great influence- a vital influence- on music, musical phrasing, instrument choice, and engineering.

The heightened awareness that memes beset the mind with are used as a tool by songwriters, engineers, performers - the focus from scaruffi-posting to the total perception distortion of spork all effect the product and production of music.

In some genres the use of memes is obviously clear. Many musicians take no pain in hiding there meme use- some effectively addicts- commit an even worse transgression of promoting their meme use which in combination with reddit, can lead impressionable people to meme use themselves.

Meme users them selves often revolve around music that in a sense amplifies the meme experience- sometimes unconsciously.

Certain meme have characteristic traits, such as YOURE A FUCKING WHITE MALE causing neurons to transmit in random patterns and occasionally backwards. Theses effects on the cells can be a source of inspiration to singer song writers to come up with novel ideas and interesting phrases and word associations.

There is much more to say about "heavier" pepes, wojacks and various other 4chin memes.
>>
>>64357297
>Many musicians take no pain in hiding there drug use- some effectively addicts- commit an even worse transgression of promoting their drug use which in combination with a popular status, can lead impressionable people to drug use themselves.

Wait, what exactly is wrong with this? Drug use isn't necessarily some death trap unless you get really addicted, and in the case of guys like Prince and many other music icons it was necessary in order for them to perform and actually innovate in the ways that they did. He was into opiates for twenty five years before it actually managed to kill him. It isn't just music either - acting, creative writing/fiction and comedy are all rife with drug use and have been for decades, usually cocaine/heroin/pot/tobacco/alcohol are the main ones.

The impressionable part is a bit of an issue, but they can always choose to do or not do drugs if they want to. I don't think the musician or performer can be blamed if someone else screws up on drugs.
>>
>>64356759
Wait, people thought Prince didn't do drugs? He is not Frank Zappa. It's pretty common knowledge here in MN that Prince threw shitloads of exclusive parties, are drugs somehow exempt from that because he didn't showboat about doing drugs?

I'm not even disagreeing with anything, I'm just fucking baffled.
>>
DUDE
>>
>>64357673
Zappa was heavily addicted to cigarettes on a level that was Bill Hicks tier. I know it's not usually seen as a taboo drug but IMO it always felt hypocritical of him to negatively talk about dugs while sucking on tobacco all the time.
>>
>>64357776
okay
>>
>>64357708
DRUGS
>>
>>64357297
there are multiple paths to heightened awareness, drugs being the least productive.

drugs are not necessary for music nor for art.

though id really love to be stoned and watch enter the void.
>>
>>64357776
true dat
>>
File: jerrylaugh.jpg (63 KB, 521x410) Image search: [Google]
jerrylaugh.jpg
63 KB, 521x410
>prince had one riff

fuck this guy
>>
>>64357669

I knew this paragraph would be contentious to someone, somewhere. The problem is that some impressionable people will see drug use in a popular artist and associate drug use with some level of social achievement. The reality being that drug users more often than note end up in the lowest rungs of the economic platform.
>>
>needing drugs to create art
>then taking credit for said art

lol ok
>>
>>64358441
this is certainly not true. lol how many wall street faggots snorting blow with their fucking lawyers at strip clubs? pretty standard stuff.

more likely the lowest rungs of the economic platform tend to stay there and some of them do drugs.
>>
>>64358511
its pretty standard for a lot of creative types to express their creativity as a kind of channeling: from Burroughs to Anges Martin.

i dont personally hold to that perspective, but it fairly well makes you eat your smugness.
>>
>>64358441
>and associate drug use with some level of social achievement.

Considering how many people who achieve a lot socially use drugs that isn't exactly an incorrect conclusion to leap to though. I rarely see straight edge people with amazing and exciting ideas.

>The reality being that drug users more often than note end up in the lowest rungs of the economic platform.

This tells me you don't know a lot of drug users then dude. many of them lead normal lives.
>>
>>64358851
>I rarely see straight edge people with amazing and exciting ideas.
Correlation, causation etc. While most aren't in the business of airing their drug use if they took part in it, I imagine many successful academics are straight edge. Chances are you just don't know many interesting people. I'm not dismissing the potential contributions to productivity from drugs, but the notion that exciting ideas "rarely" come from straight edge people seems like goofy Haight-Ashbury hyperbole.
>>
The thread between music and drug use is as long as music and drug use exists.

>beat generation heroin
>hippies
>acidheads
>weed rap
>stoner-rock
>amphetamines
>>
>>64359266
I see where you're coming from, but I guess I just notice that a lot of extraordinarily popular and talented performers are either currently or were previously into drugs to quite an extent. I admit I jumped the gun with a generalizing statement like that but the prevalence of drugs and the factors they play in people's performances and creativity seem numerous.
>>
>>64359710
It is, but it's also been found that people with high IQs are more likely to experiment with drugs. See where I'm going with this? Causation implies correlation, but the inverse isn't true. There are many reasons for popular or influential artists doing drugs. It's not utterly disconnected from creativity, but there are plenty of other variables at play too.
>>
Depends on who you ask. Steven Tyler is pretty much ashamed of getting fucked up with drugs and losing several prime years of his career.
>>
>>64358511
You have no idea how drugs work. If you're a shit artist you don't suddenly become good while high.
>>
>>64360038
Didn't it stil contribute to his ability to perform/become successful as much as it hindered it?
>>
>>64358273
lol, first you claim you know all about drugs and their value compared to other methods in life.

and then you state the most cliché fucking psychedelic movie to watch under it.

yes, there are multiple paths but drugs in tandem with these paths are the most effective for the "right" user.

but son, you obviously know nothing of this so dunno why I am wasting time on you.
>>
Wasn't he a Jehovah's Witness?

Now I'm not saying that just because someone is religious that they also can't dabble in drugs and adultery and such, but Jehovah's Witness are notoriously staunch believers. Like I have never met a halfway Jehovah's Witness like I have Catholics, Jews, Muslims, Mormons, etc.

Anyway so yeah, I would believe that he did not recently take drugs, but back then it was the 80's, everyone takes drugs.
>>
>>64357776
Zappa was addicted to cigarettes and coffee - i.e., mild stimulants.

Not saying that to just take a cheap shot at FZ (whose work is outstanding and which I like very much) but instead to point out how projection works - we project onto others the behaviors and characteristics we can't see or can't accept about ourselves. The amount of energy we put into those expressions indicates the degree to which those characteristics have internal power over us.

Essential to know in order to better understand oneself.
>>
File: Zappa - Coffee and cigarettes.jpg (22 KB, 260x305) Image search: [Google]
Zappa - Coffee and cigarettes.jpg
22 KB, 260x305
>>64361479
>>
USA has black fatigue
>>
>>64361479
Interesting, you learn something new everyday I guess.
>>
>>64356759
stop being fat?

Also, the smell of slightly sweaty balls turns me gf on. Not sure if it's the same for most women but she goes wild over that shit.
>>
File: 1461551416017.jpg (65 KB, 480x592) Image search: [Google]
1461551416017.jpg
65 KB, 480x592
>>64361037
jehovah's witness here, i don't think he was, i think he must have studied with one (or even became an unbaptised publisher - doubtful, though) and the media ran with it, i can't say for sure because i've not met him, but i strongly doubt he would have been baptised and performed his back catalogue
>>
>this man beat up Sinead O'Connnor
>>
>people actually think drugs have anything to do with music talent

The irony is that you're calling other people millenials
>>
>>64362576
????
>>>/b/
>>
I think you need talent to make good music. Drugs especially psychedelics can give said talented person a whole new perspective on how they view music and can cause them to make something totally different than they would sober but wether its better because of it depends on how a lot of things.
>>
There are musicians who used drugs, and credit those drugs with inspiring them... like Lemmy Kilmister with speed. There are musicians who abstained from drugs for the sake of motivation, like Ian MacKaye. I like Motorhead and Fugazi. I also question the value of drugs in the creative process. Marijuana makes me unproductive. Alcohol makes me creative, but likewise unproductive. Adderall made me focused, but also really bitchy. Oxycodone just makes me sleep. From 20 to 26 I partied hard every chance I get, basically trying to get completely destroyed every time I went out. Now, at 27, I'm pretty anti-drug for myself - I don't care what you do, and I'm all for legalization, but I'm against it for myself for the sake of motivation. All it's ever done is distract me from my goals.
The two drugs I still plan to do are LSD once, and DMT, for the simple fact that psychedelics make your brain create new neural connections they wouldn't otherwise make, opening up new ways of thinking. The benefits of that are obvious in finding new perspectives. But aside from that very specific benefit of psychedelics, I can't see any other real benefit to drug use.
>>
File: red_panda_face-1920x1080.jpg (739 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
red_panda_face-1920x1080.jpg
739 KB, 1920x1080
>>64356759
he died from AIDS
>>
>>64360827
Not if Draw The Line is any indication.
>>
>>64363091
He apparently was. There are even stories of him going door to door promoting the religion.
>>
It's just surprising because no one has ever dug any dirt up about him doing drugs in the 3 decades of him being one of the biggest celebrities in the world. You know how rare that is? How the fuck do you hide something like that?
>>
>>64358511
How old are you
>>
>>64356759
>Do people really not realize the vital role drugs have with music or is it some millennial thing?

Derp. Most millenials are drug addicted. Whether that be prescription or otherwise.

This world's waaaaaaaaay more effed than the 80's/90's/00's
>>
>>64364977
what the fuck did you just say to me
>>
>>64364984
Fuck you cunt.

I'll say what I want bitch.
>>
>>64365015
i'll rip that ass apart
>>
>>64365027
I'll skull fuck your mother.
>>
>>64357423
You're not funny.
>>
>>64365035
Perfect! That's all that's left of her.
>>
>>64358511
A talentless hack doesn't become a genius just by drinking cocaine or shooting up weed.
>>
>>64363091
Bullshit, you look like a kike straight outta Brooklyn.
>>
>>64365075
What happened to her body?
>>
Only degenerate post-African music relies on drugs as the inspiration for creation.

The greatest music in history has been the product of a clear, determined mind.
>>
>>64363803
the only really beneficial drugs are psychedelics. LSD in particular because it's very self-oriented compared to mushrooms for example. I often think about the kinds of people without access to LSD that would really get a lot out of it. It opens up the mind that is exposed to it, so everything you bring to the table is dissected and experienced in a new and novel way. There are so many creative people in many different fields that would benefit. Art is the obvious outlet for that kind of experience but I think engineers and more practical and technical professions have the most potential.

Don't forget it was first used by MIT mathematicians for problem solving.
>>
>>64365027
Eamss haaard desu
>>
>>64358511
this entire post is funny as hell
>>
File: rare3.gif (1 MB, 499x499) Image search: [Google]
rare3.gif
1 MB, 499x499
>comparing mild stimulants like coffee and tobacco to recreational drugs like LSD, Salvia and Benzodiazepines
oh i am raffing
>>
>>64365283
>recreational drugs like LSD
this is a bad opinion, that's why we can't have nice things
>>
>These people can't even meditate to reproduce on their own the brain activity drugs create
Why even live when you're all just dependent on these decadent degenerate ways
>>
>>64365283
Mild stimulant or not tobacco is addictive as fuck and generally a terrible idea.
>>
Robert Fripp didn't take drugs
>>
>>64357297
Not to condemn or condone drugs, but you're a fucking idiot.

Zappa, Tyler the Creator, Ben Weinman (Dillinger Escape Plan), and Miles Davis between '55 and '75 all did their best work with little to no drug influence.
>>
>>64365695
Mild autism is one hell of a mind altering experience, anon.
>>
>>64365499
>generally a terrible idea.
it's really not, how old are you?
>>
>2016
>not smoking crack

its like you guys don't care about music or something
>>
>>64366369
it's like you'll all are cowards
>>
Psychedelics >>64365169
are some of the worst class of drugs because of people such as yourself claiming how great they are when I have in fact seen my own and others lives destroyed because of psychedelic use. It's the worst of most any drugs besides maybe meth or heroin due to the effect it can have on your mind/mental health
>>
>>64366323
It is directly linked with lung and mouth cancer. Both those body parts are necessary for singing. Still I'm a smoker so I'm not one to judge.
>>
>>64365450
Teach me
>>
File: 1459798784073.jpg (318 KB, 1000x967) Image search: [Google]
1459798784073.jpg
318 KB, 1000x967
>>64366427
I really wonder how one can manage to fuck up his life with non-addictive drugs that just makes you trip for a while and has no permanent effects.
It really requires talent.
>>
>>64366548
>It is directly linked with lung and mouth cancer.
smoking doesn't affect your singing at all, unless you actually do get cancer but you're constantly at risk for that
>>
I don't personally care if a musician/artist does drugs or not. All I care about is my personal enjoyment while listening to music. There are people who did drugs who put out great music, and there are people who never did any drugs or mind/body altering substances, legal, or otherwise, who's music I've enjoyed. Why should one care what people do in their private lives? If you enjoy their music, just shut up and listen to their music.
>>
>>64366584
That's where I was going.
>>
>>64358851
Elliott Smith's best work (Roman Candle-Either/or) was done before he had done any drugs at all really. He wasn't really a user until Figure 8.

I think you are onto something here but the critique is more about a particular genre than a lifestyle. It's not that straight edge people are less innovative (look at Fugazi's innovation, Aaron Weiss from mewithoutyou's incredible lyricism, Elliott Smith's early songwriting abilites, etc.)

It's not that straight edge people are less creative, or unable to innovate as well. Rather, I think it's the fact that straight edge comes from a subculture of hardcore, wherein fast, loud, and simple, were hallmarks of the sound. Minor Threat and Fugazi are light years apart, but drugs never stepped into that equation. Hardcore as a genre has a much different set of goals than many other genres, and hardcore is inextricably connected to straight edge. Rather than innovate, hardcore seeks to be pure and authentic and is more concerned with living it's political beliefs, than actually creating art. The art created is secondary to the life and statement lived by the artist. I'm not saying this is a good or a bad thing, just that the conditions from which straight edge is derived has a different set of goals than those which you are saying are valuable. As a subculture it's playing a different kind of game.
>>
>>64365715
All those artists made shallow shitty music
>>
>>64366323
Old enough to have had done it for years. Most smokers will tell you they regret it
>>
>>64366716
>Most smokers will tell you they regret it
You're right but it also depends on how much you smoke, smoking is overexaggerate to the point of being compared to inhaling mustard gas on a daily basis
>>
>>64366582
People with underlying mental illness or who have genetics that make them prone to mental illness can have these conditions activated through psychedelic use. It's fine that it didn't happen to you, or that it doesn't happen to many people, but the possibility is still there and it has happened to others and destroyed their lives, or at least put them greatly on hold. You really can't ignore that.
>>
>>64366753
This. It's also risky for people of certain personalities. If you have a lot of insecurities or you not the happiest camper then you could easily get cought in a thought loop which is exactly where you do not want to be.
Psychedelics can be great but they are not for everyone.
>>
>>64365715
sorry but you're the fucking idiot senpai

never did >>64357297 say that drugs are necessary for making inspired music.
he said that there is definitely a large correlation, and just because you name a couple artists who were able to reach this level of creativity without the use of drugs (Tyler isn't one of them, for the record) doesn't negate the fact that drugs (especially LSD) have been one of the most influential factors in the direction of music over the last century.
>>
>>64366567
Shit, that's not something you learn from some random guy on the internet in a couple sentences.
I suggest looking into yoga, meditation and then purposeful meditation and working from there.
>>
>>64366753
Yeah you're right, also some people just can't handle themselves and abuse the shit outta psychedelics till they're disconnected from the real world which isn't a sane thing to do..
>>
>>64366805
>>64366753
>tfw really want to take lsd but even weak shit like weed makes me anxious
>>
>>64356759

millenials do a ton of fucking drugs, what are you talking about?
>>
>>64357297
I fucking hate this meme
>>
File: prince never did no drugs.png (443 KB, 469x509) Image search: [Google]
prince never did no drugs.png
443 KB, 469x509
>>
>>64356759
>le using music to justify your degeneracy despite having never created any good music in your life even on the back of copious drug use meme
>>
>>64367246
Then make sure do it in a safe setting, at home either with someone you completely trust or alone. Doing it alone the first time is generally not advised by people, but I was fine, I actually only ever do it alone. And make sure to have a positive mindset, your feelings will manifest in your trip, nervousness is natural but try to focus on the excitement and the fact that you're about to have an amazing experience. I've never felt bad at all on acid, just straight bliss/euphoria for the entire duration
You should take it sometime at night when you're home alone, put on some comfy clothes and maybe prepare some music, will be the best night of your life
>>
>>64361037
He only became one in 2001, though, when he was already like 15 years past his prime.
>>
>>64366427
>my anecdotal evidence is better than your scientifically backed argument
>>
If you're scared of a little acid, pure a hacking pussy and should just stay on the straight and narrow, cuz the lifestyle is not for you
>>
>>64364073
By not hiding it. If it's not hidden, people don't care to find out.
>>
>>64368337
Yeah, in the 80's it was no secret that people in the entertainment industry were out there getting fucked up a lot
>>
>>64366671
>Davis
>shallow

go fuck yourself you underage twat
>>
>>64357297

Honestly, I think the reason for the correlation between drug use and musicianship is the similarity between the effects of music on the brain and drugs on the brain.

http://www.nature.com/neuro/journal/v14/n2/abs/nn.2726.html

Look at how Brian Wilson describes music...

"Rhapsody in Blue" is the first song I ever heard. When I was a little boy, very young, I heard it and said, 'Mom, Mom, play it again!' I loved the part where the violins came in. I just got this overwhelmingly beautiful vibe from the music."

Key phrase is Mom, Mom, play it again. Musicians are easily susceptible to these huge chemical rushes and attempt to chase them over and over again.

Drugs create a similar feeling, and musicians want to get that feeling often.
>>
>>64366323
I'm a smoker and using tobacco was one of the worst decisions of my life. i have spent the last 5 years feeling like shit trying to break this addiction.
>>
>>64367824
Just because an alcoholic gets better because of LSD doesnt make it some absolutely perfect drug.

That's stoner logic. "Weeeeeeed's gooood foooorrr youuu maaaaan" because of some study that confirms it has positive effects

Okay, well that doesn't mean there aren't negative effects as well.
>>
>>64357297

very fucking embarrassing post t b h
>>
Wtf is this thread? Prince allegedly (allegedly) dependent on prescription painkillers in the latter years of his life because of chronic medical problems. This means he was a raging drug addict for his entire career reliant upon opiates to make his music? Are we fucking serious with this or just memeing?
>>
>>64369841
We don't know anymore. Look at the Beyoncé threads. Poptimism has reached critical mass. We are currently dedicating a large part of our time to discussing the most mainstream artists on a Caribbean cigar forum. Our pretention amd posturing has gone full circle. The pendulum has swung over the center point thing. We have lost sight of truth and all that we see is memes.
We have lost all reason for hope.
I'm leaving this board forever.
I suggest you do the same.
>>
>>64363091
He was a jehovahs witness.

I'd get out of the cult while you can. Good luck
>>
>>64356759
of course prince did drugs - that didn't make him a good musician. it takes years of hard focused work to become a good musician. cobain, lou reed, the beatles were all first rate before drugs even entered the picture. you know what happens when drugs precede the work? DIIV.
>>
>>64357297
and this post....is it even worthy of reddit? this is the pseudo-intellectual level of the weird guy that posts essays under youtube videos.
>>
oh shit, its a meme. nevermind.
>>
>>64356759
Who are you quoting?
>>
>>64363091
He said he was a JW in an interview in the early 2000s, and then talked about it again as late as around 2015. He was def a JW, unless your argument is that he wasn't a "real" JW.

I don't think he did drugs recreationally. I'd be willing to bet he OD'd on an opiod used for his chronic pain, though.
>>
>>64363091
who exactly is this weird dude with the hat that everyone meme posts? is he a tripfag?
>>
>>64356759
i have more respect for an artist that came out with something original without the use of drugs even if his/her music is not as good as the artist who used drugs for inspiration
>>
>>64372018
Why
>>
>>64365715
Also Fugazi
>>
>>64372018
Stupid value judgement, also no musician gives a fuck about your respect
>>
>>64372018
i'm sure it tears them up inside to know they dont have your respect
Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.