[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>ever since I left the city YOU do we agree it's a god
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 8
File: drake.png (456 KB, 690x460) Image search: [Google]
drake.png
456 KB, 690x460
>ever since I left the city YOU
do we agree it's a god tier song?
even without the meme clip it's god tier
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5OeT5r51co
also thoughts on the remix?
>>
my gay liberal roommate tried to convince me that it's a very sexist and misogynistic song
>>
it's probably the best song on top 40 radio yeah
>>
File: 1457910035907.png (141 KB, 351x351) Image search: [Google]
1457910035907.png
141 KB, 351x351
>>64348031
>ft. Sam Smith
>>
>>64347997
i like whatever the sample is and the dance was pretty good. i hate drake's voice and lyrics
>>
File: 1418118519364.jpg (13 KB, 222x216) Image search: [Google]
1418118519364.jpg
13 KB, 222x216
>>64348998
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITlgj8F9UPY
that one is the better remix
>>
It's an uninteresting pop song. Yeah it's good for passive listening but there's really nothing to it.
>>
File: 1457059725250.jpg (99 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
1457059725250.jpg
99 KB, 700x700
These days, all I do is
Wonder if you're bendin' over backwards for someone else
>>
>>64349089
Every girl you've ever loved has been gorilla fucked by some dude recently and taken his seed inside her or on her.
>>
>>64348998

>muh high road
>>
>>64349080
No offense, but I honestly feel you have to have autism to really think this.

I can't list all the small ways it stands out from its ilk, but stand out it does. The small things add up and really do make it something pretty special.

I predict it's coming out of this decade intact and probably more than a couple after that as well.
>>
>>64349313
Lol no you fuckhole, it's a three chord song in 4/4 with a reggae strumming pattern get over yourself.
>>
I don't really like Drake all too much but this is a song I can tolerate. I can dig the sample he used.
>>
>>64349344
If you really can't see that complexity is not that only thing that can make a song great, you probably do need some kind of diagnosis. I'm saying this as someone who cares about you.
>>
>>64349432
>simple lyrics about a girl he misses
>3 chords in 4/4
>very simple melody

I'm loling at your assertion that not going ga ga over a radio pop song makes me autistic. I like it, but you're giving it way too much praise. Don't quit your day job.
>>
>>64347997
its a great fun pop tune.
nothing less and nothing more.
and i applaud drake for that. its rare i hear a decent pop track on the radio.
>>
File: Pete-the-god.jpg (122 KB, 517x594) Image search: [Google]
Pete-the-god.jpg
122 KB, 517x594
>>64347997
There were much better radio pop songs than this one. The song's simplicity is honestly sleep-inducing. There's so little going for the song, that it blows the mind how this, of all his songs, blew up. Nothing to it other than the slightly cool Wii Shop Channel jingle.
>>
>>64349628
Looks like his label is doing some stealth marketing, Op is obvious as fuck. What an out of place poster.
>>
>>64348965
it is because drake implies the girl isn't acting herself through her current activities even though he has no right to claim such a thing
>>
>>64349486
I know you're mad at what I said but I honestly think it. To be more fair I'm saying it's very clear to me you're missing something. And it's something that I know off the bat I couldn't "convince" you or anyone else of through some kind of "argument." It's not the greatest musical achievement of all time or anything, but it's a great pop song that will be remembered. That's significant to me.

Lastly, the simplicity of it is the genius of it. All truly great pop songs are like that.
>>
>>64347997
>god tier
No. Little too long with no real interesting to make up for that
Maybe 7-8/10
>>
File: 1.jpg (325 KB, 947x653) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
325 KB, 947x653
>>64349678
No anon, you like it and i think it's okay. As an experienced professional musician I know what goes into making music. This is nothing special, it's a standard radio R&B pop song with simple lyrics and even simpler music.

You are either just really into it or I don't doubt that you are just doing internet PR right now.

It is nothing special, and it's definitely not "god tier" it's just a catchy pop song.

Consider self inflicted death.
>>
>>64349753
>As an experienced professional musician I know what goes into making music
the weakest b8
>>
>>64349815
He was questioning my ability to understand music, I explained that I am experienced in making it and understanding it. I literally get paid to make and play music for people.
>>
>>64349815
I just learned hotline bling in 45 seconds and I'll post the vocaroo when I finish dinner.
>>
>>64349842
Doubt it
>>
>>64349674
that doesn't make sense
>>
>>64349988
And why is that?
>>
>>64349753
>>64349842
Understanding a handful of conventions is not understanding music. There is no understanding all of music. What makes each thing work and what moves people. I mean really as if you're writing hits? Now I feel like I really am giving you good advice when I say there's a lot more you could learn from this song and a lot more for you to learn about music.

Anyways I'm out lil nigga.
>>
>>64350189
Enjoy your paycheck for shitposting on 4chan you fucking faggot.
>>
>>64349674
Did you keep the cock in your ass when you were typing this?
>>
>>64349753
Bach's first prelude for piano is also nothing special, it's just a bunch of mounting arpeggios, yet we still hear about it to this day
Get the fuck over yourself mr. professional musician
>>
>>64347997
drake sounds like garbage and cant write emotional songs well
>>
File: smuglizard.jpg (28 KB, 411x248) Image search: [Google]
smuglizard.jpg
28 KB, 411x248
>>64350549
>comparing a three chord pop song in 4/4 to Bach

Kill yourself tonight.

If I can learn how to play a song in 45 seconds, it's nothing special.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0VOQ6KJNQv2
>>
>>64348965
I'm pretty much at the point of ignoring liberals
>>
>>64350672
Extremely flawed
>>
>>64350861
I did learn it in 45 seconds, first take and my mic is a built in laptop mic. I'd love to hear your criticisms and I'd like to hear what you've got.
>>
>>64350672
>If I can learn how to play a song in 45 seconds, it's nothing special.
Precisely, I could learn bach's first prelude in a couple minutes
also here's my cover, it's better
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0TDA4Zy4GRg
>>
>>64347997
How About Now is better, I wish it got more notice.
>>
>>64351384
Congrats dude you can play a simple melody on an electric guitar. Bach's first prelude is more complicated than Drake's pop single Hotline Bling, bottom line.
>>
>>64349628
but it's a damn catchy wii jingle
>>
>>64351554
how does that make it "better" or more "special"?
>>
>>64351554
So this is a pissing contest now? What's your fucking point?

>>64351500
Agreed but most of /mu/ only knows 3 Drake songs max
>>
>>64351586
The debate was over the level of complexity of the song.

>>64351609
>tells me his cover is better
>accuses me of starting a pissing contest

My main point was that you can't compare Bach to Drake when we're talking about complexity.

Op claimed that Hotline Bling is "god tier" implying the epitome of musical talent and showmanship, it's a fucking three chord pop song in 4/4. It's a typical pop song with simple lyrics about missing a girl.

It's nothing special, that same logic does not apply to Bach's prelude, we're talking about different levels of music here. Singing and playing Hotline Bling is harder than playing the melody to hotline bling on your electric. Blow my fat cock.
>>
File: pete-being-mean.jpg (80 KB, 411x329) Image search: [Google]
pete-being-mean.jpg
80 KB, 411x329
>>64351580
For a short time, yes. Then you start to realize how little the song offers beyond that catchy jingle and then forget it as it goes barreling down the charts.

A catchy tune is only a good thing if you have well-placed and played accompaniment to support it and Hotline Bling simply doesn't have that.
>>
I don't mind Hotline Bling but the song he sampled (Why Can't We Live Together by Timmy Thomas) is so much better.
>>
>>64351697
I understood your point (wasn't me who just replied to you) but your reasoning's all retarded. I can improvise on my piano for 3 minutes and technically the result is going to be more complex than either hotline bling or bach's prelude, but does that mean it's going to be better? No.

It's difficult to say that one piece of music is "superior" to another because art can't measured by objective metrics - rather, you can apply objective metrics to a piece of art (in this case "complexity", whatever that means), but it's inessential to the intrinsic quality of the piece.
>>
>>64351875
Anon, all I'm saying is that if you call a song is "god tier" it better be a little more complicated than a three chord pop song in 4/4 with very few lyrics, about half of them repeating lines if not more.

If you say something is god tier it better be remarkable.
>>
>>64351875
And yes I am implying that some degree of above average complexity is required for music to be god tier. Complexity is really the only objective measure in music that can be used to say how good a piece of music is.
>>
>>64350700
he was like "it slut shames women"

i was like no dude he's just talking about how he's sad that she's not around anymore

idk it pisses me off desu
>>
>>64347997

Yes.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.