[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this the much needed final nail to the coffin of a white male
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 117
Thread images: 10
File: gg.png (34 KB, 642x161) Image search: [Google]
gg.png
34 KB, 642x161
Is this the much needed final nail to the coffin of a white male dominated music industry?
>>
>white male dominated music industry

What year is this?
>>
>>64344402
the album written and produced by a group of predominantly white and male musicians is the nail in the coffin of a white male dominated music industry?
>>
thank god

White indie was getting unbearably bland
>>
>>64344402
probably not, because its just white male created album with a black female face.

white males in boardrooms figured out how to use the sjw agenda to their advantage, so they are exploiting it by making an album that "appears" to be ethnic or something
>>
Correction: Its the continuation of the Jew controlled entertainment industry
>>
I want her to die in a fucking hole. No talent hack bitch riding on the momentum of clueless women who don't know what to do with themselves, enjoying it when their husbands or boy friends role their eyes at them because they can pretend that they know something they don't. She's the Hillary Clinton of music.
>>
>>64344402

Why is this so important to you? Because Beyonce is one of the most vigorously promoted artists in the world? Because the budget for this Album and release could fund a small country? Because it's a pop artist "embracing" her blackness?

What is so artistically or culturally important about this over say, the Foo Fighters' newest release (he was in nirvana, you know lololol)
>>
St. Vincent was high on Metacritic in 2014. Why was nobody making a big deal out of that. Especially since it was written by a woman and not a bunch of men like Beyonce's album.
>>
>>64344677
she probably had a way lower marketing budget
>>
>>64344677
>>64344704

exactly, the only reason this is getting so much attention here is because it's getting so much attention in the mainstream. Pay to play is still very much in practice. I thought /mu/zak nerds were smarter than this.
>>
>>64344402
>final nail to the coffin of a white male dominated music industry

Thriller (1982)
>>
>>64344402
by 2016, nearly all 'professional' Critics have become part of the same incestuous clique of interexchangable, upper-class, liberal, mostly white, millenial pop-culture worshippers who all happen to have the exact same opinions. This doesn't mean anything.
>>
>>64344402
I can't wait till Melontano gives this a 4 and every one calls him a racist/sexist
>>
So is it any good?
>>
White male would fuck music
>>
>>64344527
>sjw
lol

>>64344847
You are so much smarter than they are. You can see through the bullshit. Past the lies and smokescreen. You should start a youtube channel.
>>
>>64345161
Then he will be part of the:
nearly all 'red-pilled' Critics have become part of the same bigoted clique of interexchangable, redneck-class, neo-conservative, mostly white, millenial pop-culture haters who all happen to have the exact same opinions.
>>
>>64345161
I'm not, it's just fucking obvious. It's actually scary how much of the mainstream media is run by self-absorbed hacks who disregard the real world for pop culture. Their progressiveness is mostly limited to praising pop stars and angsting about 'problematic' content
>>
>>64345302
Yes, the vast majority of media consumed by the public (us included) is owned by 6 gigantic companies. Their interests are as follows:

1. Make a shitload of money
2. Make sure we don't realize they're siphoning all of our money and time
3. Pretend like they care because of 2.
>>
>>64345302
pointing out the stupidity of misguided teenagers on tumblr doesn't make you smarter
>>
>>64344481
stop pretending that this new beyonce album isn't a masterpiece that has officially made all music made by white people this year irrelevant
>>
>>64345390
Painting With
Sleep Cycle
Black Star

The third cannot be made irrelevant. The story of his death'll be told to our grandchildren.
>>
>>64345161
Everytime I see the word 'SJW' my brain automatically swaps it for 'Reasonable Empathetic Human Being'
>>
>>64345430
This goes to both sides, but having such a black-and-white view of the world isn't healthy
>>
File: 1458153710221.jpg (24 KB, 311x341) Image search: [Google]
1458153710221.jpg
24 KB, 311x341
>>64345430
t. person on the right side history
>>
>>64344951
Marcel already did this and people are already calling him a racist/sexist.

Get with it Anthony.
>>
>>64345430
When I've been called a SJW on 4chan, that's usually what they're referring to.

It used to refer to an unreasonable person who looks for things to be offended about. But now it's really used to call people out who think that it's okay to be gay or trans or poor and maybe those people need some help.
>>
>>64345430
lol you're a faggot
>>
>>64345430
kek'd
>>
if you rate the new beyonce album less than an 8 out of 10 you are literally ethically bad
>>
Is neo-/mu/ really getting triggered by the new Beyonce release? Beyonce who was always highly regraded by most mainstream critics?

This entire site went to shit in last few years...
>>
>>64345630
>mainstream = bad
/mu/ was literally never like this as a collective just a few tools like you
>>
>>64345453
>>64345521
>>64345556
>>64345576
>>64345577
it's a meme you dills
>>
>>64345661
Honestly I never implied that.
I wanted to say is, that Beyonce getting high ratings is nothing new.
>>
>>64345668
It's really not unreasonable for some people to believe this though
>>
File: excited.png (689 KB, 1500x1101) Image search: [Google]
excited.png
689 KB, 1500x1101
>its only a tidal premiere and not an exclusive
>>
File: 1461526403938.png (433 KB, 1115x1010) Image search: [Google]
1461526403938.png
433 KB, 1115x1010
90% of those reviews are by white people and therefore need to be thrown out.
>>
>>64344402
fuck no. white men will always run the msic industry. yonce and the critics are simply their marketing tool to get even more profits.
>>
>pop music
>white male dominated

Literary what

Make a new thread when a black woman make a a better album than is this it
>>
>>64344677
Because that album was actually good...
>>
>>64345301
thinking mainstream media can be biased or irrelevant doesn't make you a /pol/ack. They're probably some of the most uncritical you can find, they just take breitbart and cult guru molyneux over the huffington post and CNN
>>
File: b8.jpg (44 KB, 500x294) Image search: [Google]
b8.jpg
44 KB, 500x294
I've seen so much of this bait today. It makes me want to go fishing again
>>
File: bnt.jpg (27 KB, 697x492) Image search: [Google]
bnt.jpg
27 KB, 697x492
Incoming 9.5 BNM
>>
>>64344402
its Beyonce you idiots why does this surprise you.
>>
>>64345708
It's rather stupid to think of everything in terms of false dichtonmies based on ridiculous Internet stereotypes.
>>
>>64344458
The current year
>>
>>64344522
>Parquet Courts
>The Drones
>Protomartyr

nah
>>
Is Lemonade actually good? Not going to listen to it. Beyonce does absolutely nothing for me, even her alt/hip stuff (s/t). Her characterization as the "queen" of pop or whatever does a disservice to other, better artists too, imo
>>
>>64346518
it's okay, it doesn't suck and in places it's actually pretty good but overall nothing amazing I think. i'd recommend it honestly. jack white, james blake and kendrick lamar are all fantastic also.
>>
>>64346518

No

And I listened to it with an open mind and consider myself somewhat a fan of "pop"
>>
i really don't get why beyonce has been selected as the "important" black feminist artist.

Every decade has someone like her. She wasn't important in Destiny's Child, she wasn't critically acclaimed in an album format until an average pop effort in 2013...Is it literally that she put on leather lingerie and threatened black revolution?

I can't think of more pandering on any artistic level...How can she be acclaimed? From the snippets of the songs, they seem contrived and verbose. They don't even seem fit for pop radio, never mind an album. I guess the production is good, but that's taken for granted.

I really don't get it at all.
>>
>>64346195
not if we are talking about how to read false dichotomies based on ridiculous Internet stereotypes
>>
>>64344402
Fantano will pan it and all will be right again
>>
>>64347293
I mean I hope so. Any reviewer who gets hyped into saying this is good I would immediately stop reading/watching
>>
>>64344402
No, it's the nail in the coffin of music journalism. Is it at all credible anymore? Has it ever been?
>>
>inb4 people call negative reviews racist and or they can't "comprehend the message"
>>
Reviews are published Saturdays only right? Just wait six days
>>
File: wewlad1.gif (32 KB, 205x39) Image search: [Google]
wewlad1.gif
32 KB, 205x39
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemonade_(Beyonc%C3%A9_album)

>mfw Scaruffi produced this Masterpiece
>>
>>64347168

Same desu. My guess is that some people in a boardroom decided it was time them to get her some crossover appeal with "serious" music fans. I always thought she had been seen as a feminist icon for a few years prior to s/t and the black power stuff is just opportunistic bandwaggoning.
>>
>>64345301
>everyone who disagrees with me must be the same exact person
>>
>>64345390
>lemonade was made by white people
>therefore lemonade is irrelevant
>>
File: TracyChapman.jpg (12 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
TracyChapman.jpg
12 KB, 300x300
>people would seriously imply Beyonce is in the same stratosphere of talent as pic related

Beyonce is nothing more than a product of slick production and marketing
>>
>>64347168
Because she's on a major label that has the money to stir up controversy in order to get people to talk about it (and by extension entice people to listen to it).
>>
>>64346099
They will go above and beyond and rate it a "YASSS QUEEN SLAY/10"
>>
>>64346087
that's a good bait pic. saving
>>
>>64344847
this
>>
>boring pop artist makes boring pop album
>somehow "revolutionary" because 1. she's a woman and 2. she's a black woman

Still don't fucking understand this.

It's the same shit that happened with Taylor Swift. It's like being female gets you a free pass to write the safest, most dull songs and still be critically acclaimed and popular.

It's not even that the music is bad. But I've heard it all before. When are they going to do something dangerous?

The only mainstream artist who even attempted something properly edgy was Kanye West with Yeezus, and he didn't get even half the respect he deserved for that (Again, probably because he's not a woman).
>>
File: 1456786403669.jpg (27 KB, 600x750) Image search: [Google]
1456786403669.jpg
27 KB, 600x750
>>64349265
Female privilege at work. It sickens me.
>>
>>64349265
Yeezus received massive critical acclaim, you serious?
>>
>>64344847
Yep. There was a decent video about this (although it was delivered in the most cringe inducing fashion by the cringiest dude ever, I think a former P4K writer)

But regardless, he pointed out some indisputable facts as to how the music industry/music critiquing or writing industry work together today that were pretty fucking damning.

All hail Pay2Play.
>>
>>64349359
It did from certain publications, but there were a LOT of people who bashed it without a full understanding of what the album was or what it was intended to be.

All I'm saying is that maybe if an album like Yeezus was released by Beyonce, people would still be talking about it now. But because Kanye released it, and he's a male artist who many people (including SJWs) think is "cool" to hate, it didn't go as far as it should have done.
>>
>>64344986
In a vacuum, it's alright I guess. Kinda swallows up a lot of the ambient/dubstep/future garage blended R&B sound that people have already done a thousand times better and then beat into the ground (James Blake even shows up for a second, FFS.)
>>
>>64345390
I feel like people are gonna bite hard on this one lol
>>
When did poptimism start? I feel like Lady Gaga.
>>
>>64349265
yeezus was an abysmal album
>>
where can i find the video?
>>
>>64349404
I think Yeezus is a terrible album.

That being said, at least Kanye had the balls to make an ambitious and abrasive project that he produced himself (at least in part).

I do have to disagree with your last point. I don't think the album suffered in critical standing because it was released by Kanye or a male artist. People simply didn't like or weren't comfortable with the abrasive "mimimalist" sound he went for, which is perfectly fine.

Tumblr loves Kanye though. It would be a lie to say that SJW don't like that album or Kanye in general.
>>
>>64345430
It depends on where it comes from - usually in abbreviated form, yeah.

Though I try to distance myself from the "social justice" label now despite having many of the same opinions, because some of the more extreme opinions and statements that people in those crowds make now are just as ridiculous as any other extremist bullshit. Plus now that the whole SJW activist movement thing kind of lives in a collegiate Twitter/Tumblr echo chamber, the people involved with it have often adopted this attitude that their opinions are somehow above opinion and may not be questioned, ever, and then they try to shut down any discussion that does not line up perfectly within the safe zone of their POV. It's why so many of them fight amongst each other too, desu.
>>
>>64349547
*minimalist

and add some quotation marks to SJWs because I think that whole "SJW"/"anti-SJW" thing is just pathetic on both sides
>>
>>64345980
>white people stop writing reviews about Lemonade
>There are no reviews because all music reviewers are white
>Gets a 0 on metacritic
If only
>>
>>64347168
Really? This "Beyonce is A SERIOUS ARTIST" thing has been going on for a while now, remember when Kanye meme'd about it at the Grammys because Beck won over her aka the woman he actually wanted to wife?
>>
So am I correct in assuming that it is as easy as being a black woman and releasing an album, and you will pretty much nailed on get BNM?
>>
>>64349024
fucking this
>>
>>64349386
>the cringiest dude ever, I think a former P4K writer
jee i wonder who this is
>>
>>64349547
>People simply didn't like or weren't comfortable with the abrasive "mimimalist" sound he went for, which is perfectly fine.

Sure, but I find that indicative of just how shit and safe pop music has become.

People like Beyonce/Taylor Swift because they are evidently talented and use that talent to make very traditional, neatly arranged pop songs. Perhaps they wouldn't be as successful if they made some more progressive works, because it would diminish the easily accessible quality of the music.

I just wish we had some more interesting things going on in this decade of pop music. Because there's plenty of things going on in hip hop, in electronic music, in various underground scenes. But pop is stale. No one wants to shake it up. And I'm not pulling some "waaah why isn't avant-garde music popular" BS, I just want to see more genuinely interesting pop albums. Shit that is melodic and catchy, but that can impress me as well. Because that's what Yeezus did for me.
>>
>>64349706
Idk if you mean me or the guy I'm talking about but I literally don't know, if this is a "thing", I'm unaware of it.
>>
>>64349718
I liked the one Taylor Swift album I'll admit, and the Carly Rae Jepsen album from last year is actually pretty damn good (to the point where I actually went to see her live, lmuo)

Shit, I mean I would probably not judge this so harshly either if this narrative about how culturally foundation shattering of an artistic statement this supposed to be wasn't surrounding it.

But Beyonce l/her PR people won't let it go so whatev I guess
>>
>>64349831
>Shit, I mean I would probably not judge this so harshly either if this narrative about how culturally foundation shattering of an artistic statement this supposed to be wasn't surrounding it.

I agree. There's nothing wrong with a pop album. But I fucking hate people who try to pass this kind of thing off like it's some great, deep artistic statement. It just makes it all the more obvious how today's popstars are failing to live up to their predecessors in terms of shock value. Critics are literally inventing controversies to make people like Beyonce look edgy.
>>
>>64344986
fuck no lel
>>
>>64344402
i don't like beyonce
>>
>>64349265
>The only mainstream artist who even attempted something properly edgy was Kanye West with Yeezus
Fuck outta here with this garbage, you delusional pleb
>>
>>64350061
racist
>>
>>64350086
>Fuck outta here with this garbage, you delusional pleb

Perhaps we have a disagreement over what "mainstream artist" means.

By that I mean worldwide famous, ultra-popular, household-name tier pop musicians. Of which Kanye West is one.

If you can name me another artist/band of that tier that has dropped an album with a non-mainstream sound that is a distinct stylistic shift from their previous work, then go ahead.
>>
>>64345556
>it's okay to be gay or trans or poor
t. Someone with no clue about biology Economics, the constitution or the virtues of fairness and self-reliance
>>
>>64350162
Outkast, Prince just off top. I'm sure there's many more. But their albums were actually good
>>
>>64345556
memed
>>64350313
memer
>>
>>64350319
>Outkast, Prince just off top. I'm sure there's many more. But their albums were actually good

Yeah, and they were a decade or more ago. That's my point. The current generation of popstars are squandering their talent on safe music.

We need the next landmark album or single, and Beyonce certainly isn't going to be making it.
>>
>>64345980
This shit is hilarious. Do they think white people go around "laying claim" to shit and having brunch conversations about the whiteness of Animal Collective?
>>
>>64348752
what the fuck
>>
The visuals of Lemonade are stunning. I loved the album when I listened to it, but when I got around to watching it, I was just bowled over by the artistry of her music and images combined. Mike Brown's mother struggling not to cry just demolished me. Seeing her standing strong surrounded by beautiful black girls and black women was overwhelming.
>>
>>64349718
The vast majority of critics loved it. In fact, Yeezus was the runaway pick for AOTY from one of the leading polls that includes almost all major critics: http://www.villagevoice.com/pazznjop/albums/2013
'
Essentially, nobody important really complained about the album. A ton of people loved it and that's perfectly fine. Another smaller but sizable portion felt it was a large step backwards in his career, myself included, for reasons other than it being a "progressive work" (as you put it).

Plenty of people who hated it have never cared for pop music; I surely don't. In my eyes it was a complete failure, doomed as soon as it was hyped up to be an experimental masterpiece when it was simply a more abrasive take on hip-hop popular at the time (although I disliked it for many reasons other than the false identity it was assigned by critics). That was how most people who disliked the album felt.

In fact, I'd say that the second album on that poll was a far more interesting pop album that was a huge step up for VW. I really enjoyed the baroque pop approach they took there. MVotC was fairly overrated but also a very good pop album.

Nothing has to be "experimental" at all to be a good album. I think the most important thing is that it is interesting and has a somewhat unique sound, whether the album is based on experimentation or not.
>>
File: 1460827547960.png (389 KB, 431x450) Image search: [Google]
1460827547960.png
389 KB, 431x450
>>64344402
>anti-corporate themes
>anti-authoritarian themes
>only available on Tidal
>>
>>64346432
those bands are cool but indie music is seeing a decline rn
>>
>8 critics

it's gonna finish in the high 80s
>>
>>64346432
>Parquet Courts
>not unbearably bland
>>
I'm sick of hearing about this album and I haven't even listened to it
>>
>>64350720
it's probably the blandest acclaimed album you'll hear this decade, don't even waste your time
>>
GUYS, IT'S ALL A TRAP, THEY'RE BRAINWASHING US WITH THE FEMINIST AND ANTI-RACIST MUSIC LIKE THIS. THE NEXT STEP IS GIVING 10s TO JEW MUSIC
>>
>>64344402
No-one here likes or respects Beyonce in any way, just fuck off.
>>
>>64350777
thanks man, I was gonna wait until it comes on spotify but I'll see how I feel
>>
>>64344481
this

all these people on twitter saying "white people don't listen to it" (with which i'll gladly comply) need to take one quick look at the writer/producer credits on that album
>>
I went to Mac Demarco's house once and he actually made me a cup of coffee. The coffee was pretty good.
AMA
>>
>>64349386
Ott isn't cringy, just bitter
>>
>>64350494
(you)
>>
>>64344402
I like how you presume that because a black female put out an album about black female empowerment that means the people responsible for distributing it are not longer white males.
>>
>>64350494
>Mike Brown's mother struggling not to cry just demolished me. Seeing her standing strong surrounded by beautiful black girls and black women was overwhelming.
sounds kinda cringy and exploitative.
Thread replies: 117
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.