[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What happened to them? Why did they die so early? John Balance
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 6
File: coil001-1.jpg (39 KB, 750x643) Image search: [Google]
coil001-1.jpg
39 KB, 750x643
What happened to them? Why did they die so early?

John Balance looked so attractive in the 80s and then like in the span of ~5 years his looks massively deteriorated and he looked like shit.

And Sleazy looked 50 when he was only 30.

What happened?
>>
alcohol
>>
>>64341416
He lost his balance...
>>
>>64341416
>John Balance looked so attractive in the 80s and then like in the span of ~5 years his looks massively deteriorated and he looked like shit.
really he was always hot. just went from a cute twink to a rugged daddy
>>
>>64341463
aaaaayyyy

Where to start with Coil fami?
>>
>>64341463
damn...
>>
>>64341463
Wow hahahaha well done making this joke for the billionth time
>>
>>64341505
Horse Rotorvator
>>
>>64341416
>And Sleazy looked 50 when he was only 30.

that's what you get when you hang out with trent reznor. he absorbs the energy of everyone around him. just look at manson.
>>
>>64341505
if you have patience, then start with ...and the ambulance died in his arms
>>
he had internal troubles, hold up, let me find an email he sent to a fan that demonstrates the state of his mind on early 2000s
>>
John Balance and Takashi Mizutani raped me when I was 5.
>>
was Sleazy executed by asian police for noncing a boy up or something

his death was low key as fuck
>>
>>64341467
lol
>>
>>64341527
>>64341544
Thanks my dudes
>>
File: jukebox.jpg (71 KB, 691x504) Image search: [Google]
jukebox.jpg
71 KB, 691x504
>>64341551
Holy shit, please do.

Also how do you go from this >>64341416

to pic related?
>>
>>64341585
ok but he became hot again once he greew out the beard
>>
here it is

Gabriel Burkholder wrote on the Coil facebook group:

>In late 2002, I wrote John & Peter, asking for advice regarding a debate I was having with the head of a local coalition. Death In June & Boyd Rice were scheduled to perform here in Seattle, and the coalition was pressuring the venue to cancel them. I figured Coil (who could be described as gay shamen) wouldn't work with neo-Nazis, so I asked them what they thought of the situation. Weeks after the show, I received a reply from John. IIRC, Peter was the one who forwarded me the email, after John had sent it to him.
I've often debated whether I should post this online or not, but I feel it gives insight into the state of mind John was in 2 years prior to his death, as well as their relationship with Boyd Rice and Death In June.
Rest in peace, John:
>>
>>64341613
He's cute as hell in both of those pics though
Fuck me he's so cute
>>
(cont. This is what balance replied)

"gabriel Booyd is not homophobic.I cannot support Death in june anymore.I still talk to Boyd.He lets America reflect in himself.It IS complicated.He is the ultimate prankster.Social Dawinism is a dead end as far as I am conc3erned.I d o not like Dawin or his classification system.It is Victorian and wrong.Nature is a language.To qoute one of Morrrisssy/Smiths more profound lyrics.He probably stold it from somewhere else.ee.cumming at a guess.NEO nazism.Boyd winds people up.He is a really intelligent,fuuny and angry person.He hates it when people get rewarded for doing stupid things.So do I.He is a misthapropist.Doug is repeating learnt behavious again and agin. When I worked with him was a long time ago.I wish he would not be so hateful and stuck in the past.Then agin I have just repeated very stupid and dangerous behaviors agin.2 bottles of absinthe in a day.So I CAN SEE THE MODEL.ARE YOU GABRIEL the artist who writes to Simon Norriis.If you are your work is equal to Hans Belmer and I love it.Sory about typo's.I havn.t been to bed and its 11aqm.Due to more silly reactive behaviors.Sleazy and me split up 3 weeks ago.My new boyfriend is as crrul and boossy as me. Poor Sleazy.Im getting a taste of my own foul medecine.I have 20 years of apologies to atone for. HELP. John and Peter,"
>>
>>64341687
>John Balance liked The Smiths

AAAAAND

DROPPED
>>
>>64341687
fuck, what was this guy on
>>
>>64341687
:(
I'd like to say I wish they got help for the inner shit they were obviously dealing with but I suppose they reached the place where it'd be useless unless they sought it out themselves.
>>
>>64341805
He first read that quote on a bathroom wall and included it in a song without knowing it was from The Smiths
>>
>>64341805
>He probably stold (stole) it from somewhere else.ee. cumming at a guess.

he doesn't think actually think the smiths are good
>>
I'm so glad to see a Coil thread here, i've been really into the whole Coil/TG vibe recently.
I've been really exploring the whole "Nothing" experience, checking out the demos, the "new", the official release and of course The Ape of Naples" to hear all the different versions, I've been really enjoying it.

Can't wait to check out the musick for the dark shit, am I in for a good time? I've listened to "ambulance..." so I have some idea of whats happening.
>>
also talking about the coil group on fb

there's a literal witch on the group that is meanie to everybody and makes my dick diamonds
>>
>>64342112
boy you are. be sure to check out love's secret domain (my personal favorite) as well
>>
>>64341505
Start with Horse Rotorvator and the Musick To Play In The Dark albums.
>>
>>64341687
I'm glad he died.
>>
>>64342141
post her fb profile
>>
>>64342163
Yeah I've checked that out too, I bloody love it.

There's a weird spirituality to Coil's music, like they'd tapped into this weird side of humanity that we all knew deep down, but it took a while to re-introduce ourselves to. Whenever I hear tracks like Spastiche I get stirrings inside.

Coil have certainly helped with my philosophy of life, as cheesy as that sounds.
>>
>>64341538
Do you imply here that Mr. Reznor is in terms of hierarchy above Sleazy and JB?
>>
>>64342112
MTPITD are my favorite Coil albums besides Astral Disaster. Thighpaulsandra is fucking amazing.
Do acid for them if that's your thing.
>>
>>64342141
>there's a literal witch
Just ignore the shit out of her, breh.
>>
>>64342255
enought with the stupid abbreviatures, yesterday i was reading a thread and you guys even thrown in abbreviatures for memes and songs what the fuck

i agree on the astral disaster bit btw
>>
>>64342240
I don't think he was. Reznor is just an energy vampire like Mick Jagger.
>>
>>64342255
man I'm sure that once I get my hands on acid that Coil (closely followed by Since I Left You) would be the very first band I'd listen to

I've listened to the LSD album drunk and baked, which was an important experience for me
>>
>>64342290
>abbreviatures
what did he mean by this?
>>
oh yes, just rn im listening to sws by c from their album ba, feeling really m.

>>64342230
look her up on fb her name is ms
>>
>>64341879
2 bottles of absinthe
>>
>>64342361
Sorry, I don't have a facebook account or post in the /mu/ group.
>>
>>64342362
So he was drunk beyond his fucks.
>>
>>64341416
It has never been revealed how any of them died?

Did they have AIDS or something?
>>
>>64342421
oh yeah, balance practically lived drunk.

btw any ukfags have any ket, been meaning to try it :^) if imma listen to gay music may aswell try gay drugs
>>
>>64342255
Agreed about Thighpaulsandra, and these three are my favorite Coil records too. Also Constant Shallowness...
>>
>>64342497
balance fell off his balcony while drunk, no-one has said what sleazy died of past dying in his sleep
>>
>>64342500
sooooo coilish xD
>>
>>64342534
Shit please don't "xD" me, I was joking about the ket
I don't want to be seen as ironic damn it I love listening to coil
>>
>>64342497
Jhonn fell to his death.
Sleazy died in Thailand and the cause was not made public.
He may have had AIDS.
>>
>>64342565
Santa Claus has got the AIDS this year
The reindeer are all queer
>>
>>64342522
>balance fell off his balcony
hahahaha well meme'd my friend!
>>
>>64342596
I'm literally going off what i've read; I heard suicide is a theory but how much truth is in that?
>>
>>64342497
>>64342565
I don't think either of them had AIDS though.
They were pretty big on safe sex.
>>
>>64341416
It is tragic, but is it bad that it kind of adds to the magic of Coil? Especially when you take into account their later output being so transcendent and almost at peace compared to their much darker nihilistic early stuff.

Also it's the fucking coolest thing ever that after Balance died the final track on Ape of Naples is a cover of "Going Up," the theme to Are You Being Served and about going up in a department store elevator, recorded live RIGHT before his death but released after.

I couldn'tve wished for another way for Coil to respectfully end, regardless as fucked up as that sounds, if that makes sense? It contributes to their otherworldly image.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49vRp1qiLxU

Absolute husbando
>>
>>64342497
>>64342565
Both of the coil dudes died of AIDS. The whole "falling off a balcony" story is too funny to be true and probably something Sleazy came up with to fuck with the fans, and for Sleazy, it should be quite obvious how he died. He moved to Bangkok Thailand, you do the math. (No white man would ever move to Bangkok, Thailand unless they wanna fuck ladyboys all day.)

Also, Coil was big on HIV awareness, Their cover of Tainted Love was all about that, so it makes sense why his estate would never release how or why he died.
>>
>>64342671
not to mention https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmF3zZSK8oQ
>>
Everyone ITT should listen to SoiSong if they haven't already.
>>
>>64342711
Bruh. You don't just die of AIDS without showing symptoms for months in advance.
Coil were advocates of safe sex too. I doubt they ever had AIDS, even if they did get HIV.
>>
why does /mu/ obsess over this band? and i see them always mentioned in the same context with the other (good) artists such as lrd, albert ayler, this heat, fishmans, etc

every time coil is mentioned all anyone says is how much they wish they couldve sucked john balances dick and gotten aids from him in the 80s
>>
>>64342901
i think it's because their prolific career and uniqueness. coil is coil and there is nothing else like it
>>
>>64341416
>What happened?
Depraved homosexual lifestyle really takes a toll on people
>>
>>64342952
ulver is better than coil
but of course, they got panned by p4k!!!!! so /mu/ drones hate them
>>
>>64342901
Coil was an incredible band. Their music is detailed, imaginative, and of considerable variety.
>>
coil and tg always looked and sounded like a bad comedy act for me

and thighpaulsandra is a literal fucking retard beyond belief
>>
>>64342978
Ulver isn't better than Coil. Ulver are Coil fans anyway, I think they're happy if they can approach Coil's greatness. I'm sure they would be flattered, but respectfully disagree.
>>
>>64342978
Except Coil strike me as this extremely genuine artist who were super honest about what they were doing.

Ulver in contrast seem like wannabes and someone who ain't about that life. I like some of their music, but it's what it is.

Besides the way Coil ended and how they lived just reinforces my theory.
>>
>>64343014
Thighpaulsandra is kind of a pretentious twat, but that's just how he rolls. His personality suits the music he makes.
Also it's probably the Zappa influence that's more prominent in early TG and Psychic TV that gives you the "bad comedy act" feel.
>>
What Thighpaulsandra releases should I get?
>>
>>64343168
Some Head, I Thighpaulsandra, Double Vulgar I and II, and The Golden Communion.
>>
>>64343323
Thanks my man
>>
I unironically enjoy Coil even though I am not gay.
>>
>>64343373
Wow, kill yourself.
>>
>>64343348
No problem. He plays that perv rock. Sort of like a cross between Zappa and Nine Inch Nails, but also like Coil's dark ambient stuff.
>>
>>64343323
Second all of those
>>
bump for GOAT
>>
>>64344553
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzLbvcxTOVU
>>
>ITT: Music non-gay people will never be able to understand.
>>
>>64341687
how long did he date Sleazy? were they on and off?
>>
>>64341416
Scrolling through the catalog, I was confused for a moment about whether this was a /mu/ post or a /tv/ post.
>>
>>64344912
Also, are Stephen Thrower and Ossian Brown gay?
>>
>>64345101
>>
>>64345101
one of them is black. it isn't hard to figure out
>>
>>64344912

They dated until the Moon Musick era, where they decided to break up because they feared that they could have a falling out one day and it would kill the project.
>>
>>64342901

The Albert Ayler / Les Rallizes Denudes / This Heat dude is one recurring shitposter who has a hateboner for all those artists for some reason.

They're all pretty different; the only real similarity between them is that they are popular in avant-garde fanbases.
>>
>>64345906
>is one recurring shitposter
What the fuck? How do you know this and why would he be doing this for so long?
>>
>>64346159

He's pretty recognizable. He says something like "Comus / Coil / Les Ralizes Denudes / Albert Ayler are bad artists for [FotM insult] people who also like [the other artists he targets I didn't mentioned]" like once a day in an attempt to rile up /daily/ or something. I mean, it might be multiple people now, but I doubt it.

I dunno why intensive shitposters do what they do. It's one of life's greatest mysteries.
>>
>>64346254
And it's funny, because it's not like he's targeting people who enjoy some super obscure artists (like avant teens) or something, all those artists have been popular on /mu/ for well over half a decade now.
>>
>>64346254
>>64346308

kill yourselves
>>
>>64341563
Really does bug me that they never revealed what killed him

>>64341585
Tibet always looked like Bootleg Ozzy Osbourne in the 80s and 90s. Now he looks like a hipster jew.
>>
>>64346665

Some guy claiming to be his cousin said it was a heart attack in his sleep. Dunno why that would be kept under wraps, though.

>>64346554

What's your problem with Albert Ayler, friend?
>>
>>64346702

no one actually likes albert ayler, it's people like you who pretend to like him in order to be different and hip
>>
>>64346721

That's not a very good reason to dislike an artist.
>>
>>64341563
TMV in their Nardwuar interview claimed that Storm Thorgerson found out he was into little boys, but I have no idea if that's truth or not. Douglas P. in his Yahoo groups thing talked about how all the pedophiles he'd known had no ill intent and separated them from child rapists. Connected? Probably not.
>>
>>64346890

...The Mars Volta?
>>
>>64346956
Yes
>>
>>64342706
what years did he have that beard/short hair look?
>>
John got too drunk and died after hitting his head after a fall

Sleaz OD'd in Thailand
>>
>>64347089
asian kids OD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUY_zpPeab0
>>
>>64341505
from here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUY_zpPeab0
>>
>>64347025
early 00s afaik
>>
>>64346956
https://youtu.be/LoJuznaJ5tE?t=359

6 minutes in in case the link isn't working right. I recommend the full interview too, because it's neat.
>>
Edgy shit for manchildren who need to grow up.
>>
>>64348002
>I haven't listened to it but I know it's edgy and childish because it's industrial
>>
On a more positive note, your music has really inspired me throughout the years. The Death Grips style is unique in so many ways, and I'm looking forward to your new album! Just to let you know, I'm currently recording some songs heavily inspired by your work, and I'm hoping to release it soon! In short, thank you, Death Grips. I love you guys.

-Jason Aldean
>>
>>64347162
best ever
Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.