[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Samplers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3
File: hqdefault.jpg (15 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
15 KB, 480x360
What samplers yall got I got a 2000xl recently
>>
Gotharmans FX deFormer
Bastl microgranny 2.4
Ciat-lonbarde Cocoquantus2
>>
>>64335411
Do you recommend getting a 2000xl? Is it fun to work with?
I don't feel anything other than a powerful computer is what you need these days.
I'm investing in the new macbook pro this year lol.
>>
>>64335411
I grew up using a sp-303 but it broke a couple years ago and replaced it with a sp-202. I miss a lot of the effect from the 303, but i really dig the bit crushing you can get from the 202. I like to bounce all my beats to one of the low bit rate settings on the 202 to get a nice lofi feel to my music.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>64335411
>Maschine studio
>Emu Esi-32
>Emu Esi-4000 turbo
>Korg Volca Sample

I guess I like samplers.

I've been thinking of getting a Emu e6400 Ultra too. I really like the Emu samplers. I generally use mine for resampling and making more samples.
The Maschine is great, work flow is good, nice big screens for seeing waveforms, and sample editing. Feels very much like a hardware sampler when in use.
The Volca Sample is great too. Love all the knobs for tweaking, sequencer and it sounds great too.
>>
Can anyone tell me why you'd opt for a hardware sampler over software and a controller? Is there anything that hardware can do that software cannot?
>>
maschine mkI, akai s500 and use logic as a DAW coz the maschine one sucks, found a nice work flow with it.

>>64336282
>>64336678
imo its to do with workflow/speed/fun! i can chop, sequence and try out ideas much quicker on the maschine and it means im not staring at a screen for a bit which is nice, but yeh also just playing stuff in makes it easier to find the groove/feel yor after
>>
>>64336678
A lot of older samplers have lower bit rates that give your samples a distinct sound that you cant get by using recycle or something similar. It's also fun to chop samples up on a physical unit verses using a mouse to chop.
>>
>>64336714
Is it less precise? I use recycle and find it very easy to chop the sample to exactly what i want, can i do this easily with a hardware sampler?
>>
>>64336724
its easier bruh...
>>
>>64335502
How is the microgranny thinking of ordering one next payday?
>>
>>64336724
Depends on the sampler. I know the MPCs have a visual wave form you can reference when chopping, but on something like an sp you have to do it by ear which isnt really a bad thing. It makes you more focused on the music.
>>
>>64336795
only some MPC's older ones like the 60 and 3000 dont for example. but i agree my maschines gotta screen with the waveform which i will glance at from time to time, but ultimately its better to train your ear IMO!
>>
>>64336751
It's a LOT of fun. Very lo-fi and noisy in the best ways. I like taking it when im on the go and recording samples with its built in mic to mangle. You can hook headphones to its output so you're all set. Ummm, the granular can be a little clicky. It's not a bad thing just another part of its lo-fi charm. I'd highly recommend it, I've actually got two of them to play simultaneously.
>>
>>64337071
>I've actually got two of them to play simultaneously

baller alert!
>>
Currently using a sp-303 and a kp3
The kp3 has the best workflow for editing samples on the fly, but the sp303 crushes it when playing live (dat volume).
Also owned an mpx16 but sold it bcs it sucked ass and used to have the launchpad/launch control, but only kept the LC, since I hate playing computer live but still use it for recording so knobs are usefull.
I dont understand why we arent getting any good new standalone samplers. I have a cheap chink tablet that should be able to run ableton, yet, most current devices need a PC. Fucking stupid
>>
>>64336678

There's not really anything hardware can do that software can't, but a lot of hardware samplers will sound unique, the D/A converters can colour the sound, low bit rates etc will give hardware a certain sound too along with things like the Emu's Z-plane filters which are pretty unique.
I think overall though I just prefer using my hardware samplers. I think I prefer pressing physical buttons rather than using a mouse. I can sit at my sampler all day one hand on the jog wheel and the other pressing buttons, but I struggle to do that on my computer with a software sampler for more than an hour.
>>
>>64337387
>I dont understand why we arent getting any good new standalone

I've been wondering this for a while too. I keep thinking someone is going to bring out some groundbreaking mega sampler soon but not a thing so far.
I'm hoping for something with lots of dials or sliders and some interesting synth engine, lots of individual outs, some solid effects.
>>
>>64336678
Computers can crash, unlike a good piece of hw. When you gig often that is a must. Unfortunately the most recent samplers are prone to crashing too, like the shitty akais and the es2, the volca sample is alright thou
>>
>>64337475
theres the op-1
>>
>>64337475
The octatrack is gr8, but overpriced af, same with op1.
Maybe when the analog craze is over we might get some good samplers, who knows, maybe romplers make a comeback. Thats one of the reasons I'm still keeping my mc-303
>>
>>64337636
I've often thought of getting an op-1 desu.

>>64337662
I'm hoping korg will make a full version of the Volca sample, properly built, has sample input, indervidual outs, maybe some added stuff but essentially a bigger version, pro build not plastic.
>>
I know this is a super stupid question but what is resampling?
>>
>>64337785
basically changing the bit rate/ sample rate of a sample. makes it all distorted and lofi n shit
>>
>>64337712
>I'm hoping korg will make a full version of the Volca sample, properly built, has sample input, indervidual outs, maybe some added stuff but essentially a bigger version, pro build not plastic.

That would be the electribe ES series, too bad they went full retard with the es2. Korg needs to stop with their meme gear
>>
>>64337806
oh that makes sense thank you
>>
>>64337839
>Korg needs to stop with their meme gear
korg made some bretty awesome stuff recently though like the minilogue or volca fm
>>
>>64337991
Miniloge is cool but not all that, an analog synth with firmware issues? wtf? and soundwise it's not better than a microkorg. It's like they went so full on killing the Minibrute they forgot to test it.

The volca fm is the definition of meme gear, if they just put that sound engine inside a mk xl it would make sense. But no velocity? dat shitty volca sound?

why.jpg
>>
I have an MPC2000xl, an SP303, and a Roland W30 and I barely know how to use any of them :^)
>>
I'm using an OP-1 and an octatrack. Both completely different tools and both a blast for live use :)
>>
>>64338273
the point of the volcas is to be really cheap and really small (so you can take them wherever you go), they fill that niche bretty gud imo
a full sized fm synth would be cool tho
>>
I'm using a SP404SX to play live (babbys first sampler) and I really love it. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't inspired by panda to buy one but seriously no regrets it's fucking fun as hell. I'm thinking of getting a second so I can double up on effects and crossfade between tracks.

How does everyone use their samplers? I know making sick /beatz/ is probably the most common application. Personally I patch track elements like backings and sound effects to different pads and play them back while I sing and play microkorg over the top. The microkorg runs through the sampler so I can use the reverb because it's ace for making ambient droney sort of stuff especially with infinite delay on the microkorg.
>>
>>64338666
I agree I have a couple of the Volcas and I think they are great for price, sound and features. I wonder if Korg are using them to test the water and if they sell well which I think they have maybe they will release full blown versions
>>
>>64338912
>How does everyone use their samplers?
Mostly for resampling
I'm >>64336660
At the moment I'm using my Volca as a drum machine so I have some classic drum samples loaded into it (808,909,606 & a few other more obscure kits)
My Emu I mostly use for resampling and for pads and bass sounds, using a lot of the synth engine and the filters.
The Maschine studio is just used for everything else including effects, sequencing, arranging and sample editing.
>>
>>64339252
>a few other more obscure kits
tell me more senpai...
>>
>>64339285
>senpai
ffs
>>
>>64338912
Good buy, the sp-404sx is GOAT
I use it for textures, sampled voices (use a lot of movie dialogues and shit) and stuff I do with monotron+sk60 that would be imposible to duplicate live.
I have 2 drum machines so dont need more, but have a bank on the sp303 with metal percussions synced to a sr-18.
I play in an pseudo-industrial band and someone else takes care of the synths
>>
>>64339285
>tell me more senpai...
Just samples kits from lesser known old drum machines the yamaha MR11 is one I like a lot but I think a lot of the old drum machines are very usable
>>
can anyone recommend any acoustic sounding drum machines similar to the style used by pinback? I'm looking for that sort of lofi sound but not necessarily electronic

something like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nn3gfd6FZMo
>>
File: MR10-product-shot.png (271 KB, 640x472) Image search: [Google]
MR10-product-shot.png
271 KB, 640x472
>>64339329
>>
>>64339419
>>64339329
nice, I'll definitely look into it.
>>
anyone know where I can download sample banks of drum machines? or some decent drum machine plugins I can use with logic. hardware is expensive don't judge me
>>
>>64339465
yeah just google the drum machine you want samples from and put .wav at the end thats how I've found most of my vintage kits. Or you could buy some thing like the Rhythmic Robot MR11 Kontact drum machine and re-sample the sound files. Not bad for a fiver

http://www.rhythmicrobot.com/product/mr11
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.