[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how does one make an album this good. step by step
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3
File: Oneohtrix-Point-Never-Replica.jpg (445 KB, 1032x1024) Image search: [Google]
Oneohtrix-Point-Never-Replica.jpg
445 KB, 1032x1024
how does one make an album this good. step by step
>>
maybe you're just memeing but if this is a serious question i would say he probably messed with samples and synths and midi for a long time and has a lot of practice in that type of stuff so he knows the technicalities and how to make good melodies. and then another element is finding the samples which im not sure how he did, maybe he just wanted to make a sample based album and looked up movies and songs he liked and took snippets or maybe he just wrote down in a notebook whenever he heard a cool potential sample. and then the third part is the actual vibes and atmospheres to the album. this sounds cheesy as fuck but i think its kind of a spiritual or magick type thing the way things worked out so perfectly together, but its definitely at the very least drawn from a certain type of emotion. he didnt just sit down and pull an album out of there, he constructed it from certain elements and things and things he liked and thought about, etc, etc.
this isnt step by step but you get the idea
>>
10 years experience of tangerine dream ripoffs
>>
>>64331928
yah it takes a long time to get there. OPN had already been making music for probably 10 years or something. Also I think he got all his samples from tv commercials
>>
fyi it was produced in an actual studio designed for rock music

and he had an engineer on deck to spice it up after the fact
>>
You can't get a step by step for creating that masterpiece. It was the culmination of incredibly expensive gear, high end facilities, top talent working on the back end, and the entirety of momentary haecceity behind it. It could only have existed at the exact moment it did, and no resources could be cobbled together to make something like it.

That being said, the actual sonic building blocks are just 80s television commercial samples played through a 404 and 555, some analog and hybrid synths (including mostly Juno-60, D-50, and a few almost impossible to find oddities), omni patches, a grand piano, typical reverb/delay/chorus/etc. and Sherman Filterbank. As for the actual composition, it was mostly improv, aside from specific effect chains and sample loads, which was later cleaned up and chopped to size in post

But that should only really be used to understand the angles of the album and use that as inspiration to sculpting your own completely separate sonic palette, as trying to recreate it is only going to leave you with an inferior replica
>>
>>64331934
this
>>
This is the best vaporwave reincarnation of all time and it's not even vaporwave.

That said, I still think r+7 is his undisputed masterpiece and a mark of the decade
>>
>>64331851
1. eat 4 doritos locos tacos
2. shove a contact microphone up your ass and plug it in
3. click record in audacity
4. unleash a geyser of shit
5. export and upload to bandcamp
>>
you need experience
>>
>>64332864
same desu i absolutely appreciate replica and like it but R+7 and GoD are above and beyond anything i've ever heard
>>
>>64333070
commissions i is up there with those two

(i think it might be his best)
>>
pretty sure it's just practice man. he was like 30 when he made it so 12 years to get to that point
>>
Daniel had been putting out electronic music for at least a decade before it came out.

He was also a library archivist, which I think gave him access to a lot of random shit to sample.
>>
its not even that good relax and practice
>>
File: 701.jpg (54 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
701.jpg
54 KB, 1024x576
>>64331997
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71fbZA6S97c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRWl94jeyDw

One of my favorite samples of all time.
>>
i dont get why this guy is so hyped
>>
>>64336147
because he puts out really interesting and unique stuff
>>
>>64331851
Was the cover artwork designed specifically for this album? It's beautiful
>>
>>64336286
it's an illustration from some sci-fi magazine iirc
>>
>>64336286
>>64336281
It's from weird tales mag you can find the author and all that in the credits in the wiki page of replica
>>
you wont
>>
1. have a lot of good ideas
2. deftly manipulate audio to express the ideas
you might need to do some preparatory work to be able to accomplish at least one of those.
>>
>>64337917
more like
1 have a lots of ideas
2 execute them like dean blunt tier and end up like pretentious piece of shit.
>>
>>64338117
Learn how to type, jfc
>>
>>64338117
what are you trying to say
>>
Create electronic music consistently for like 20 years.
It still doesn't guarantee success but it's a requirement.
>>
File: 1400044130562.gif (993 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1400044130562.gif
993 KB, 250x250
>>64332271

>an inferior replica
>>
sample stuff
fuck it up with dozens of effects
add some conceptual postmodern background to it (you don't need to actually understand it, wikipedia is your friend)
>>
Love Streams is so much better tho
>>
>>64332271
I thought the entire album was made from samples?
>>
>>64341113
Love Streams was kind of disappointing, a lot of potential but it ended up being mostly uninteresting synth work
>>
>>64341559
no not really, in fact half the album is ambient synth jams not that far removed for Returnal

Andro (besides the ending) and Submersible are quite clearly Dan's synths alone
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.