[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Typically my threads die with little to no input from others.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 13
File: the redeemer.jpg (19 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
the redeemer.jpg
19 KB, 500x500
Typically my threads die with little to no input from others. This thread is more open-ended, so hopefully it addresses that.

Let's share moments in albums that resonate with you emotionally, imbuing you a strong emotive response.

My example is Dread, by Dean Blunt's the Redeemer. The song features a vocal sample in addition to some slow, surrounding choral vocals, and it's less than a minute in whole.

It's the compound of these attributes, though - the ambiguity with which this unnamed woman rejects the listener over the phone, the choir vocals, and its intense brevity - that are so profound to me.

To be fair, Dean has a talent for using ambiguity to achieve melodrama and melancholy, but those particular 58 seconds manage to stand out among the rest of his discography, to me at least.

Well, that's my example. How far in detail you go is up to your own discretion, so please don't see my wall of text and feel discouraged to contribute.
>>
totally dude haha
>>
>>64325446
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_Jm3a9fpy0
>>
>>64325479
There are numerous Beyonce threads littering the front page and inviting you to shitpost.

Please just let me have this nice thread and foster some actual fucking discussion.
>>
>>64325525
>>64325525
Beyonce is ok. I like some of their songs it's part of being a normal person.
>>
hey ma dude can you forward me this drake album cover? my email is [email protected]
>>
>>64325556
That's completely unrelated to what I posted and even moreso to the larger thread.

Please just leave unless you're going to contribute within the realm of what I've described in the OP.
>>
>>64325446
Oh Unty, you always know how to make me laugh c:

>>64325575
Sent :^)
>>
Well since this thread is dead, what is everyone listening to right now?

I don't know if you guys heard, but Beyonce dropped her new album yesterday. Solid 10/10 desu. The Queen really slayed this time.
>>
I don't get it. I just don't.

Is this punishment of some sort? Are you trying to make me leave?

Why do I put so much effort into fostering discussion on this board, only for no one to participate and instead flock to various, scarcely different renditions of the same Death Grips/Radiohead/twitter post/meme/flavor of the month tailored discussion instead?

You people think I'm fucking joking, that I'm playing a character or in search of /mu/-fame. I'm not. I simply want to discuss music because it is my foremost passion and pasttime, and in real life I've got no one to discuss it with, and this is the only place I know of that may want to discuss the music I enjoy.

I don't understand why that's so difficult for some of you to grasp. I understand that perhaps I come on too strong, but if you compare my this and my other recent posts with those of when I first began here, you can see that I've considered my approach and tried amending it, trying to be more inclusive and appreciative of others' input. In fact, this thread itself is an exercise of facilitating a more inclusive dialogue on this board, because even if you listen to music I abhor, you can contribute with sincerity and I'll respect that.

I've tried, and you people don't seem to care, and I'm so fucking tired of this.

It's demoralizing.
>>
>>64326047
holy shit
>>
>>64326047
Let me give you a hint buddy. The reason starts with "t" and ends with "ripcode"
>>
>>64326047
you're too autistic for your own good, so no one will ever take you seriously
>>
>>64326047
itd be different if you posted anonymously and not be a tripfag
>>
everyone knows your name as "the guy who actually cried because someone called him a name in a sharethread once"

just drop the trip so people can move on bro lol
>>
>>64326135
>>64326167
That's not a satisfactory answer because of death of the author. If you consider posting an art-form, such as literature, or music, whatever persona I employ ought to be irrelevant and readers should judge the contents of my post by their respective merits and nothing else.

Further, on a board where last.fm and RYM accounts are routinely shared, and charts routinely posted, all posters are implicitly developing an identity and escaping anonymity, regardless of what your vacant name field purports.
>>
>>64326277
I think you're missing the point of an anonymous image board. And last.fm and RYM threads are just as cancerous as tripcodes.
>>
>>64326334
I think you're missing the point of everything I just told you.
>>
>>64326047
Try not acting like an obnoxious snob who's better than everyone else because "hurr durr I know big words"

Anyone can look shit up in a thesaurus

Keep your "intellectual vocabulary" in your ap lang class, whose teacher ruined you and made you insufferably cringey by telling you that you're smart (you're just another average kid, nothing special about you)

Stop this bullshit and stop lying to yourself, then stop using the trip code because it equates you to an attention-seeker. THEN you'll be treated with respect and dignity here.
>>
>>64326431
No I'm not. I just disagree entirely. Posting is not an art form, and you aren't supposed to have an identity.
>>
>>64326334

unty is schooling you plehboi.
>>
>>64326277
We're here for fun, not to inflate our egos by using a trip code and including large words in the posts which just makes you look like a try hard narcissist
>>
>>64326521
Look, he turned off the trip for a moment or so!
>>
>>64326521
Why'd you take your trip off :^)
>>
>>64325446
Nobody likes you and proge mon really got me close to the edge.
>>
File: pete-and-his-guitar.jpg (30 KB, 720x405) Image search: [Google]
pete-and-his-guitar.jpg
30 KB, 720x405
>>64325446
It's been a while since I've listened to this album but I really like it. One of the best moments in this album in this particular album is "Demon". The "Sat in Your Lap" drums, the artificial strings, the washing synths, the sporadic samples, the hidden keyboards in the background, Dean Blunt's slightly off vocals. All of it creates a R&B song that just feels slightly uncanny. And it's this uncanny nature IMO, that makes the song stand out, coupled with its relative catchiness compared to the rest of the album

Flaxen, All Dogs to Heaven, Brutal, and I Run New York (as brief as it is) are all great as well.
>>
>>64326442
I'm actually laughing right now.

You suggest that I'm not your intellectual superior, followed by the admittance that you let an identity obscure your assessment and appreciation of my posts.

You present the argument that I'm not smarter than you then defeat it just as fast and easily.

Hahaha. You're a fucking retard.

>>64326480
>you're not supposed to have an identity
This is a rule.

>>64326523
>fun
You should be here to discuss music.
>large words
I enjoy the eloquence of my rhetoric. That it fills you with petty, unwarranted resentment is not my problem and ought invite you to introspect because there's no problem with employing a dense vocabulary.
>>
Sleep from pic related. It's such an emotional roller-coaster from start to finish and it gets me every time.

The opening recording of the old man sets a tone of nostalgia for all great things past, and you start to remember all the fantastic times you've had in the past that you will never be able to relive. They're over and done and there's nothing you can do about it.

But then after that first intense part, where things start to settle at about 13 minutes into the song, you're given a period of soft deliberation. Where you start to think about those memories in a more optimistic light: the point isn't that you can't relive those past experiences; what matters is that you were alive to experience them in the first place. And you acknowledge that you wouldn't be the person you are at this very moment without those memories. Even if the places or people you remember may be completely different now, what matters is how you remember them as they were, and cherish those memories.

Then the music slowly becomes more intense. The drums intervene, hinting at the aural bliss that is to come. All of those great past memories flash in your mind, and while you miss those times, you realize that there will be plenty of other memories to be made - in different places and with different people. And you are grateful to have those memories to look back upon. The crescendo is upon us. It doesn't matter that Coney Island is no longer the same as it was when you were a kid, and it doesn't matter that people no longer sleep on the beach. People are constantly making similar memories in new exciting places, and there's nothing stopping you from making your own new great memories in grand new places. That's what makes life so great. There's nothing stopping you from sleeping on the beach.
>>
>>64326442
>>64326523
shittiest posts of the day on the entire internet

(used simple words 4u2 ken)
>>
>>64326724
LMAO someone actually responded. Unty just cried tears of joy.
>>
>>64326642
Hmm ok, your pride is just way too far up there to do any self-evaluation whatsoever. You asked for help getting your dignity, and you proved yourself (once again) to be worthy of only being shit on. Thanks for showing that you can't be helped, I've now come to the conclusion that every single post you ever make should rightfully be killed. Fucking egotistical asshole.
>>
>>64326629
My favorite attribute of Demon has always been the implied dialogue between Dean and, again, the unnamed woman, that and the primal drums and background choir vocals.

Demon, Flaxen make Dean's time working with Inga extremely apparent, in a good way.

I also adore the oddly timed, quirky chimes and horns that litter "Need 2 Let U Go." It's the song that's grown on me the most, no doubt.
>>
>>64326731
When unty turns his trip off just to support himself and make himself feel better. Did your mother not give you enough love so now you have to make up for it?? Aww, little unty :^)
>>
Hi guys! I'm a new user to the board /mu/ and I hope you guys will give me as much respect as everyone else on here! I hope to be friends with you all, and love live music! XD

-Furrylover59
>>
this is comedy
>>
>>64326579
I get up?
>>
>>64326825
i'm pretty sure that would make anyone actually feel worse
i'm just a guy who decided to be an unty defener (but really your posts were so bad that it was merely a matter of principle regardless of what the conversation precipitating them even was)
>>
>>64326904
JESUS FUCK NO YOU SUMMONED HIM
>>
>>64326918
I can tell who you are pal
>>
reminder that using a smug face in your post (":>," ":^)," etc.) makes your opinion less valid and probably means that you're not old enough to be posting on this board

also black metal is better than the redeemer
>>
>>64326934
TOTTAAL MASS RETAAAIIIN
>>
>>64326972
We know it's you, unty.
>>
>>64326977
Is this a new, more ironic proge mon
Def better than the old one
>>
>>64326959
if that were true you would be frightened away from here never to return
>>
File: aw8FY8W.png (13 KB, 1874x96) Image search: [Google]
aw8FY8W.png
13 KB, 1874x96
>>64326997
negative
>>
>>64326724
I apologize for this admission, but it's been so long since I've last listened to Lift Your Skinny Fists that it feels inappropriate to give a too detailed response here (I am listening to it right now, though).

That said, I empathize with what you're speaking of. Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness always imbued me with such feelings of nostalgic loss.

Have you listened to Set Fire to Flames - Telegraphs in Negative/Mouths Trapped In Static?
>>
>>64325446
the choral section in touch by daft punk
>>
>>64327012
SEAAASSOOONS WILL PASSS YOU BYYYYYYYY
>>
>>64327060
I like the whole album, but Sleep always stood out to me in particular. Incredible track.

I have indeed listened to that Set Fire to Flames album. It's been a while though; I need to listen to it again. I would do it tonight but I'm going to bed since I wake up early for work.
>>
drop the tripcode. but fuck off shitposters.

i think what was so interesting about that album. was his commentary on black male absentness from melodrama and heartbreak. the longing and romance and hurtful break up. a tried and boring archetype at this point. yet when put with the position of a black male it becomes weird and unusual. are black males immune to personal relationship struggles? why is this incredibly common archetype for white media yet almost non existent with a black man? its a complex issue on how blacks see themselves and others see blacks. of course theres the media perpetuation of blacks that stereotypes them as fucking bitches and abandoning any long term relationship. yet even though most would agree that one dimensional representation is untrue it is still weird for me (in my white preconditioned mind) to think of a black man whining over an acoustic guitar that his gf dumped him. dean plays with these stereotypes and archetypes in such interesting ways. how is it that in some culture one state of being is seen as the norm and the source of almost all art and the other is something that we must pretend not exist.
>>
File: 711A5qy5zLL._SL1084_.jpg (189 KB, 1080x1084) Image search: [Google]
711A5qy5zLL._SL1084_.jpg
189 KB, 1080x1084
I'm gonna reply seriously and say that the entirety of this album makes me feel very wistful and melancholic for a more simple and rural life I'll never live. It reminds me of a month I spent in rural Nova Scotia as a kid
>>
>>64326047
thanks for the new pasta
>>
File: 1365223706325.gif (294 KB, 500x352) Image search: [Google]
1365223706325.gif
294 KB, 500x352
>>64326047
>
>>
tell that to zod's snapped neck
>>
>>64326047
quit trying to save /mu/
>>
>>64326047
dude, you don't have to phrase everything in such a convoluted way, it just makes you seem pretentious and takes away from the meaning. no-one's saying you have to type like a mong but jesus christ, this isn't you're college creative writing course, the aim isn't to be as flowery as possible
>>64326642
>I enjoy the eloquence of my rhetoric. That it fills you with petty, unwarranted resentment is not my problem and ought invite you to introspect because there's no problem with employing a dense vocabulary.
ok lol
>>
File: Pete-Wentz (1).jpg (101 KB, 500x600) Image search: [Google]
Pete-Wentz (1).jpg
101 KB, 500x600
>>64326798
>My favorite attribute of Demon has always been the implied dialogue between Dean and, again, the unnamed woman

Ah. I missed that. I'm going to have to listen to it again, as well as start listening to Black Metal. Any favorites on that album in particular?
>>
>>64327876
i really wouldnt listen to favorites. his work is entirely contextual. you missed out if you werent listening to them as they came out. black is beautiful only makes sense (in its lack of sense) if you were following them through the break up. singling out tracks or moments is completely besides the point of his work.
>>
not feeling dean blunt at all, desu. i think it has something to do with me being white? and not a cuck? and not a pretentious fuckwit?
>>
>>64328162
>and not a pretentious fuckwit?
yes it probably has something to do with you not wanting to think deeply about things that arent meant for base pleasure and labeling them "pretentious" as a cop out.
>>
>>64328162

check out old boots new dirt, might be more your speed.
>>
File: Eu3O5fl.png (712 KB, 796x2246) Image search: [Google]
Eu3O5fl.png
712 KB, 796x2246
tree of knowledge always gives me an uneasy and otherworldly feeling. like slowly entering a reality where everything around me is incomprehensible. in borderline unsettling when I really focus on the song with out doing anything else.
>>
>>64326047
I think the problem is the masks women use, or youtubers, in my case. I feel physical attraction towards several youtubers (dodger, meghan from lifeburry, nanalew, pic related, etc), but the attraction in all those cases doesn't go beyond watching half a video now and then.

However only Rose and now pic related have caused me behavioural problems. And I think the cause is that, while the others I mentioned show, sooner or later, a banal side (mostly through talking and talking and making a lot of videos), these two managed to present a flawless reality by hiding themselves, behind randytaylor in rose's case, behind videos in pic related's case. So, those heavily pre-selected or aloof images allow me to delude myself and complete the picture with my own fantasies, and that gets me hooked.

Everyday when I get out of the bed I say to myself:

>you have things to do
>don't go to 4chan
>don't check the channels
>don't check facebook
>don't check twitter

I'm tired, I want out of this. There must be a way to neutralize any desire or fantasy without feeling myself empty, so I can focus myself in productive things. If I've reached the rational conclusion that there're things I'll never have, why can't I force my emotions and my mind to comply?

What do I do, some of you must know. There's literally nobody I can't talk to about this.
Save me the autism jokes, I really feel miserable, I need help, I'm wasting my life here.
>>
File: a05855ad.jpg (25 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
a05855ad.jpg
25 KB, 500x500
>>64328371
damn I'm an idiot,but I hope that was helpful at least.
>>
>>64328411
no lie
no meme
you should kill yourself right now
get a pill bottle, get a gun, get some alcohol, cigarettes, anything. just fucking end it you pathetic pitiful person.

unless this is copypasta.
>>
>>64328452
it's the most glorious piece of pasta to ever make face on 4chan
I envy its creator
>>
File: 1460499305747.jpg (16 KB, 521x521) Image search: [Google]
1460499305747.jpg
16 KB, 521x521
>>64326047
>you people don't seem to care
>>
File: 1461098578500.png (237 KB, 1136x640) Image search: [Google]
1461098578500.png
237 KB, 1136x640
>>64326642
bait
>>
>>64326577
you told him to, dickhead
>>
bump. This thread has potential.
>>
>>64325520
where do you find these videos what the fuck
>>
>>64325446
i cry when i listen to Hey Mama always
>>
I'm leaving this board.
>>
It's funny you mention Dean Blunt, because his album The Narcissist II elicits emotion from me. Hearing this abusive relationship hits me in a way other albums don't.
>>
File: sn.jpg (63 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
sn.jpg
63 KB, 500x500
>please try to never grow up
>>
>>64331188
good
>>
>>64331188
Please don't leave unty! You're the best trip
>>
>>64331188
Hey man don't listen to the trolls, it's cool you're trying to get more discussions going rather then just spamming the same old tired memes
>>
>>64331211
Are you as good as I remember and coroner make me physically uncomfortable when I listen, especially in context of the rest of the album
>>
>>64331341
>physically uncomfortable
Exactly.
>>
>>64331212
I mean I'm the same age now as she was when she wrote it. I didn't get it at first but now I'm past the twilight of my childhood it stings a little.

yeah I know it's gaylor shit hurrduur
>>
>>64331402
Coroner especially, it gives the same feeling that watching Elliott Rogers YouTube gives me
>>
File: proibito-396x400.png (118 KB, 396x400) Image search: [Google]
proibito-396x400.png
118 KB, 396x400
>>64331341
By the way do you think the whole thing is a play?

In Galice, the boyfriend is trying to open the door but he's not able to, and then you hear, "Yeah, the door kinda fucked up, um..."
>>
>>64331550
I've had a roommate who was exactly as autistic as as Elliot and it was just awful. So Coroner doesn't creep me out at all, honestly. :P
>>
I'll post a few so I can contribute something for once to a thread:
One of my top moments:
https://youtu.be/47fdQTXNapE?t=1m42s
When the guitars/drums hit in Keep by Whirr.
"I don't like sunny weather
I prefer the overcast haze"
I remember sitting in on my bed after a breakup in the midst of my worst depressive spell and having my blinds closed as rain pitter pattered against the window. I still get teary when I hear it.
"
I keep quiet
I take to the rain

and I keep to myself
it's comforting
I spend time by myself
no company"
>>
>>64331697
tell me, is the new whirr record worth the listen?
Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.