[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
About to buy first synth
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2
File: image.png (821 KB, 1200x554) Image search: [Google]
image.png
821 KB, 1200x554
I am about to buy my first synthesizers and i'd really like some advice on which one to choose. I hesitate between the korg ms-2000 and korg ms-20 mini. I really like the modular side of the ms-20m, but i dont know if monophony is a big retraint. Also, I like the ms-2000 having lots of differents waveforms. Do you own one of those? Do you like it?

Also, if you have any other synth suggestion in that price range, i'd love to know, I haven't looked at a lot of synths and companies
>>
I've heard some not so good things about the korg mini. It's supposedly cheaply manufactured.
>>
File: SubPhatty-large.jpg (111 KB, 750x448) Image search: [Google]
SubPhatty-large.jpg
111 KB, 750x448
This looks and sounds good af imo.
>>
korg minilogue could be something to look into if you want polyphony
>>
>>64318226

/piano & synth player/ in a band here

what do you want to use a synth for and what is your price range?
>>
>>64319258
Im looking for sounds and synthesis that are very flexible, but can be understood quickly by me as a beginner, if i put lots of hard work into it. My price range is below 1000$.
>>
>>64318432
I see the knobs are quite wobbly, but i dont know how much of a problem tht is.
>>64319167
It is another one i highly consider, but i think i'd rather wait until there's used one on the market.
>>64318507
Seems really nice... Do yo own one? What are the best thing about it?
>>
I heard the microKorg is good for beginners, even if it is annoying the knob system.
>>
>>64319167
If i wanted a first synth with polyphony, are there any alternatives to the minilogue that I could try out as well when I go into the shop?
>>
>>64321963
Roland Boutiques are very cheap and sound nice
>>
>>64322018
>Roland Boutiques
Which is the best in your opinion?
>>
>>64322135
JP-08 has the most versatility but it costs $100 more than the others.

Personally I would go with the JX-03 because it is only $299 and the features are really not different enough from the JP-08 to justify the extra hundred bucks.
>>
>>64320968
fuck no, stay away from le microkorg memesynth.
>>
do you care if its new? for under $1000 you can buy a really good polyphonic hybrid analog/digital synth, like a vintage roland/korg/yamaha from the 80s.
>>
>>64318226
well op:
>what kind of sound do you want/what bands are similiar
>are you against vsts?
>any experience?
>what are you using it for? (band, producer film score just for fun etc)
>>
>>64318226
I've got the ms20 mini, and it's a quality piece of kit that sounds great. I've got an old ms10 too and construction wise they are pretty identical so I imagine the ms20 will last forever if taken care of. Knobs wiggle if you want to make them, but it doesn't effect how the knobs respond so once you get over that it's all good.
>>
>>64324827
>pads, drones, ambient sounds as well as weird leads (early metronomy)
>no, I use sylenth1, but I want something physical i can use in a band/live set
>no keyboard exp, but subtractive synth exp
>band/live set/fun
>>
>>64318226
I have the ms-20 mini right beside me. the cheapness meme is kinda true, very plastic-y. the actual sound of the thing is nice. very good price for a piece of 1970s hardware downscaled 85 percent.
>>
I love the ms-20 mini. Yes, monophony can feel limiting. You'll want more sounds to accompany it or support it. You'll crave poly. But it's still wonderful. It's great for learning synths. I recommend playing the ms-20 with effects pedals like reverb or delay.
>>
>>64325639
different poster, i'm >>64325710.

if you want pads and shit, get poly. the modular side of the ms 20 mini isn't all that modular, you can do really fuckin cool shit with it, but it's not all that.
>>
>>64324827
I love te Kraftwerk-Radioactivity feel.
What is a vst?
No experience.
Fun, musical improv, maybe a bit of recording
>>
>>64323854
I really love the small JP-08 one. How well does it feel?
>>
>>64325763
patching the ms20 with other kit is where it's at.
>>
>>64327264
What other kits can be used? Can i plug two ms20 together?
>>
>>64329098
ms20 doesn't use 1V per octave, so do your homework and realize its not just plug and play with most modular kit, unless you get something like this
http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2013/01/30/connect-a-korg-ms-20-mini-to-modular-synthesizers/

then the modular world is your oyster
>>
>>64330774
fuck off no one wants to see that nasty shit
>>
>>64330774
Enjoy that ban btw
>>
>>64330774
this is a blue board you faggot
>>
>tfw i want to make music but i'm a fucking retard and half of the words in this thread don't make sense to me
it's hard being this dumb
>>
>>64330774
only faggots who like fake orange size tits like memesynths like the microkorg.

>>64325639

get a vintage roland jx-3p for $300 (max $400) on craigslist or ebay and you'll have a great fucking time.
>>
>>64330774
i'm in love. i wanna bury my face in them. also at this point you have to buy a microKorg used because they are everywhere on craigslist for cheap. i've started to see some good deals recently for the ms20 mini too
>tfw i bought the ms20 mini at launch for full price because of 'muh instant gratification'
>>
>>64330867
what is patch editing and live knob turning like on the jx3p?
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.