[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do we tie certain genres to race? I get some genres having
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: rapper-plies-handing-up-chain.jpg (39 KB, 385x424) Image search: [Google]
rapper-plies-handing-up-chain.jpg
39 KB, 385x424
Why do we tie certain genres to race?
I get some genres having ties to certain cultures, certain area, certain nationalities
but why race? It seems like the most racist, artificially restrictive reasoning to criticise people for making certain types of music
>>
>>64313589
How could you not associate black people with hip hip?
Just the same for classical music/metal/most rock/country with whites.

Nigger
>>
>>64313589
Because some genres are notable for how racially aligned they are. It's impossible to not see hip hop, or jazz, for example, as black genres given where they came from and how many of the key artists in both genres are black. It's even more notable given that they emerged in a country where blacks are a relatively small minority. It's not like people are trying to view every genre through a racial lense, but when one comes along that can be so easily associated with race, it's hard to avoid it.
>>
>>64313660
>classical
>whites
Heh

On a non-bait note though, Beethoven was probably mulatto
>>
File: Folder.jpg (198 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Folder.jpg
198 KB, 600x600
>>64313665
I guess what he's trying to criticize is dumb bullshit like claiming that whites can't play the blues because it's a part of negro culture for example, as if music wasn't made for everyone to enjoy
>>
>>64313863

john mayer is a horrible example of a good white blues musician jfc
>>
>>64313980
a dick
>>
>>64313589
thats just how shit it is for the time being. very unfortunate but the vast majority are close minded and still think in this fixed way of black and white mindset

Hopefully in the next 20 years we will move on
>>
>>64313589
>I get some genres having ties to certain cultures, certain area, certain nationalities

So if you understand this then why do you draw the line at race?
>>
>>64313949
he's good within the pop genre, and I think he's a very decent blues guitar player live. I wish he tried to make more guitar-centric music instead of just dumbing it down for the masses tho.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32GZ3suxRn4
>>
>>64314099
>IT'S CURRENT YEAR
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.