[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you have to be a sellout (even a little bit) to make it in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2
File: 1461212775750.jpg (97 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
1461212775750.jpg
97 KB, 960x960
Do you have to be a sellout (even a little bit) to make it in the music industry?

pic not related
>>
offhand your best/easiest/fastest chance is to get on a movie soundtrack which would also lend itself to not selling out
>>
how big does "make it" mean?

Some people don't sell out, they don't become big pop names like Lana Del Rey
>>
Prince did the opposite and still ended up big.
>>
>>64306703
If your goal was to be hugely successful by being disingenuous and producing music for the lowest common denominator from the very beginning then you never sold out.
>>
>>64307542
yeah right, the symbol thing? that just made him even more infamous. total misnomer.
>>
>>64307581
Then i'm gonna be alright, thanks anon.
>>
>>64306703
Stop making threads about her, OP.
>>
>>64306703
i mean im pretty sure at some point of your 200+ day tour you dont want to sing the same 10 songs you did last night, and the night before, and the day before that, but youll do it because contracts, money, etc.
>>
>>64306703
Many people don't really have any goals with their music that are outside of what the public will accept so those kinds of people don't have to I suppose.
>>
>>64307581
>>64307738
these people sold out before they started. That's just what selling out means
>>
>>64307723
It's a job
>>
>>64307908
lol fuckoff idiot
>>
>>64307888
No. Selling out is abandoning artistic or moral principles for monetary gain.

e.g. Madonna is not a sell out because it was always her intention to make popular music.

John Lydon is a sellout because he embraced an anti-capitalist ideology in his younger years and then ended up selling butter on the telly.
>>
>>64307888
No, if someone wants to make music like the Beatles or Wham! or Adele or whoever is topping the charts at that time, and then get commercially successfull doing that they're not really selling out because they aren't compromising themselves.
>>
>>64307970
>>64308069
these people did at one point in their life have artistic principles. it's called selling out
>>
>>64308083
I've never had artistic principles.
>>
Successful musicians are accused to be sell outs while successful people in other industries are not.
>>
>>64308166
actors are definitely accused of selling out if they do trashy films

a big difference is that popular music is actually a lot worse than popular film
>>
>>64308202
Hardcore Henry is pretty garbage.
>>
>>64307940
Wow
>>
signing to a label is selling out
>>
>>64306703
holy shit is lana trans?
>>
>>64308343
Getting money for a gig is selling out.
>>
>>64306703
Lana del rey is so beautiful, I love her
>>
>>64307970
Except selling on butter on TV is pretty punk
>>
>>64307970
>John Lydon is a sellout because he embraced an anti-capitalist ideology in his younger years and then ended up selling butter on the telly.

Why do children equate growing up with selling out?
>>
>>64306703
I'd like to sell her out if you know what I mean.
>>
>>64306703
I love this board because no one can tell that I love Lana Del Rey
>>
>>64306703
thought that was catelyn jenner from the thumbnail
>>
>>64306703
Yes. If you wanna make it in the industry, you gotta do as "they" tell you.
>>
>>64309268
Lmao I never said I had a problem with him selling butter. He is a sell out because he's going against the principles that made him and pretty much defined punk in the 70s
>>64309141
I guess paradoxically it now is pretty punk to be capitalist
>>
honestly yeah. i only know one musician acquaintance (friend of a friend) who ever had any kind of success, and he's a sociopath who just does whatever is popular. he was dressing like a farmer and making mumford and sons pop folk music in 2011, and now he's making drake type ethereal hip hop beats and dresses in streetwear. he recently managed to land an internship at a major studio.

basically makes me want to die every time i think about it t b h. obviously i'm bitter but i swear to you his beats aren't even good. i've seen kids on kanyetothe who are better than him. there is no god.
>>
>>64307940
lol underage
>>
>>64310077
mmm hawt
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.