[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /mu/ think of Oasis?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6
File: oasis-1371123624-view-0.jpg (19 KB, 290x290) Image search: [Google]
oasis-1371123624-view-0.jpg
19 KB, 290x290
What does /mu/ think of Oasis?
>>
worlds worst version of Queen II
>>
File: Greatest Band.jpg (36 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Greatest Band.jpg
36 KB, 500x500
Greatest band?
>>
Just the worst. From beginning to end.
>>
>>64303065
this band is fucking horrible and they leaders are two freaking idiots
>>
This is /mu/ so you're going to get a lot of meme responses. For me Definitely Maybe and What's the Story are good albums. Be Here Now is flawed, but good too. Their B-sides and live shows from the era are also pretty damn enjoyable.

For me the band ended in 1999 when Creation Records dissolved, Noel went sober, Guigs and Bonehead left the band, and Liam's voice became permanently fucked up. If they had released a double A-side single of "Go Let it Out"/"Fucking in the Bushes" in early 2000 and then split up with Liam and Noel each doing solo stuff (i.e.. like The Smiths or The Stone Roses), their place in history would have been cemented without a string of horribly mediocre albums and Liam's voice wouldn't have deteriorated so horribly all in front of the public eye.
>>
Champagne Supernova is the worst thing I've ever heard.
>>
File: Xgau Oasis.png (121 KB, 1568x629) Image search: [Google]
Xgau Oasis.png
121 KB, 1568x629
>>
britpop is shite and that is a FACT
>>
MAYBEEEE...
(G chord)
MAAAYYYBEEEEEEE...
(big G chord)
>>
better than blur but still fucking trash

live forever is the only decent song they made and wonderwall is one of the worst of all time
>>
>>64303387

If he doesn't like their albums, why does he rate so many of them as epic?
>>
They have two good songs ever, Live Forever and Go Let It Out. That's it.
>>
Americans are lucky that Oasis were only popular for about 2-1/2 years there and more a curiosity than anything because over here you were literally bludgeoned to death with them. I grew up being subjected to their trashy chav behaviour, shittalking any and all other artists, nonsense lyrics, and bland rip-off instruments. Also worse how people my age tend to think they were the best fucking band in all of history right up there with the Beatles, Kinks, Stones, Zeppelin, Queen, The Clash, and Iron Maiden all of whom they aren't fit to be roadies for.
>>
File: Lars Ulrich.jpg (139 KB, 1401x788) Image search: [Google]
Lars Ulrich.jpg
139 KB, 1401x788
"I first learned about Oasis from reading a magazine interview in the early 90s. There were these two British brothers and every other word was an expletive and they spent most of the interview shit-talking other artists, each other, and practically anyone and everything. Then I first heard their music on an alternative station while driving through San Francisco one evening. Their no-fucks-given attitude was very refreshing at that time when the rock world was all about self-hating and not wanting to be a rock star. They've been the soundtrack of my life for 20 years."
>>
First two albums are decent
>>
>>64303491
Fucking the Bushes (from the Snatch soundtrack) is pretty good too because it sounds nothing like Oasis and is instrumental
>>
>>64303231
So you're British then right? I can't imagine knowing that much about Oasis. Not talking shit about you, it's just sort of amazing to look at.
>>
>>64303738
Yes I am, so I naturally was exposed to them much more than people in the UK. Also I was actually alive during their heyday unlike most of the posters on /mu/.
>>
>>64303698
And now you know where Metallica went off the rails.

>Lars: "Hey guise, you hear of this great new band Oasis I found out about? This is what we need to be more like."

>you're a freaking metal band and decide that Oasis of all things is the model that you aspire to

That's...real extreme. Wow, they said the F word a couple of a times in an interview. That doesn't make them still not a teenybopper band for little girls. Absolutely brvtal. Metal up your ass.
>>
>>64303758
No I was too, but as an American, I know it's like two dickhead brothers who like The Beatles, girls liked to dance and do drugs to Supersonic, something terribly earnest was happening later with Wonderwall and Champagne Supernova, although the latter was just awful compared to the former, then one of the brothers remade Tomorrow Never Knows with The Chemical Brothers and then they broke up or something. But literally, that's it. That's all I know about Oasis. I can't imagine living someplace where it must have been all up in your face all the time, like they're the world's greatest band or something. That's like musically bizarre to me, frankly.

Is there an America to United Kingdom version of this? Springsteen maybe?
>>
>>64303918
Except Springsteen, you know, actually had talent.
>>
I'm not kidding. They were literally Led Zeppelin level of big here in the 90s.
>>
>>64304038
Yeah, I'm not britbong but I've heard tons of stories of how back in the 90s Oasis were Gods in the UK. Even to this day they're highly revered even though their influence on rock music has been cancerous.
>>
Greatest band of the 90s? Definitely, maybe.
>>
File: meme.jpg (47 KB, 600x514) Image search: [Google]
meme.jpg
47 KB, 600x514
>>64303559
>right up there with
>Queen, The Clash, and Iron Maiden
>>
never listened to them
are they better than blur? i know they were the big 2 in britpop. i like the stone roses, and the smiths are my favorite band, so i'm wondering if they keep that manchester sound alive cause i heard somewhere they were more influenced by those bands than blur, whereas blur were more art rock or something. i listened to parklife and thought it was shit, how similar is their music?
>>
>>64304668
Oasis were legitimately the biggest band in the world for a few years. Whereas Blur were more a moderate British act.

Noel gallagher is probably the best songwriter since john lennon and bob dylan, the man is a fucking genius. To write 'Live Forever' during the Grunge Era was just insanely brilliant.
>>
>>64304797
>write Live Forever as an "answer" to I Hate Myself And I Want To Die
>while completely missing the point, which was that Cobain wanted to do an ironic song about people who complained how depressing and whiny that alternative rock was
>>
>>64304939
justa prank bro
>>
File: 1461201792750.png (17 KB, 1486x164) Image search: [Google]
1461201792750.png
17 KB, 1486x164
>>64303065
>>
>>64303065
They're the true representatives of the English working class.
>>
>>64304939
That's bullshit. Live Forever was written long before that song came out.
>>
>>64303079
You'd compare them to Queen?
People usually compare them to The Beatles or something. That's an odd comparison.
>>
>>64303894
Metallica is one of those bands who were okay for awhile purely by accident instead of design. Basically they just did something without knowing what they fuck they were doing, and then they did something else without knowing and it turned out to be shit. Besides,
>asking the drummer for his opinion
>>
>>64303065
Actually enjoy some of their tracks.
>>
>>64304939
Well Blur made Song 2 to shit on "grunge" music so.
>>
>>64305190
>Metallica is one of those bands who were okay for awhile purely by accident instead of design

That's a funny to say they were ok for a while by making entire albums out of stolen Mustaine and NWOBM riffs.
>>
>>64303177
Liam is a thick as pigshit apeman but Noel is no idiot.
>>
>>64306287
But they never sat down thinking "let's steal these riffs and make money", they just played that shit and thought "damn this is awesome, we're awesome, let's record this shit and be rock stars". They never had the mental presence to be particularly aware of what they were doing, they just did it. Because they're empty-headed idiots.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.