[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is /mu/'s opinion on Elton John?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3
File: eltonjohn.jpg (911 KB, 1862x1242) Image search: [Google]
eltonjohn.jpg
911 KB, 1862x1242
What is /mu/'s opinion on Elton John?
>>
who the fuck let him put jamaica jerk off on goodbye yellow brick road?
>>
he's awesome desu
>>
Fine if you totally ignore everything he ever did after 1976.
>>
>>64302461
Just because he's a flaming faggot with a test tube babbeh doesn't mean his music is tainted.

Hell, look at MJ (Although that's treading thin line territory, but he's a good example.)
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nblf7Yw4jys
>>
>>64302527
I hate James Corden so much
>>
>>64302512
I didn't say anything about his sexuality.
>>
>>64302390
Was my favorite artist in the 70's. GBYBR one of my favorite albums and still have it on Vinyl in pretty much the same condition as it was when i bought it new in 1974
>>
File: 81YQtKbsQ5L._SL1400_.jpg (291 KB, 1400x1400) Image search: [Google]
81YQtKbsQ5L._SL1400_.jpg
291 KB, 1400x1400
his new album was ok
>>
>>64302631
>>64300718
>>64300770
>>64301056
Shouldn't you be in bed now, Christgau? It's getting late.
>>
tiny dancer is a sick fuckin song but he seems like a total faggot from everything i've seen of him

yes i know he's gay, no that's not what i meant by faggot
>>
I tell you, he had to have been brave to come out in 1976. Because, shit, Rob Halford didn't work up the courage until the 90s.
>>
>>64302704
its probably more past your bedtaime then mine young one...Still waiting for GNR to perform on the Coachella feed. Ice Cube's performance was pretty good. He had Dr Dre and Kendrick Lamar as guests.
>>
It's kind of a thing, because the only reference Millenials have of him is as a fat middle-aged lounge singer as opposed to what he was in 1974.
>>
at first I thought he was some shitheap (and I'm old and born in the mid-70's), but then through Goodbye Yellow Brick Road I found his good stuff

From Tumbleweed Connection to Goodbye Yellow Brick Road is his golden period, anything in there pretty much rocks - Madman Across the Water is his greatest album if that's what you want
>>
>>64303060
>at first I thought he was some shitheap (and I'm old and born in the mid-70's)
...you were in diapers when he was at his peak.
>>
He's had some bad albums though nothing's ever been as wretched as Victim Of Love and Leather Jackets.

LJ was especially horrible because Elton was completely fucked out of his mind on cocaine and also his voice was about to give out (he needed throat surgery shortly afterwards).
>>
imo he has a ton of strong singles. never struck me as an album person
>>
YOU KNOW I READ IT IN A MAGAZAYEEEEEEEN AH OH
>>
>>64302903
Or maybe The Lion King...
>>
I have an unnatural love for Can You Feel The Love Tonight

I don't watch or know any modern Disney movies, I don't know who
or what that Frozen bitch Elsa is with her theme song. "LET IT GO"
or whatever.

Cah You Feel The Love Tonight feels special to me regardless
of what the stupid Disney context is and that's the way I like
it - I know it's originally from the Lion King, but it wouldn't have to be.

Fuck Simba, guck Elsa, fuck Tarzan and fuck everyone who likes
Disney soundtracks because they are Disney soundtracks.

I like Can You Feel The Love Tonight.
>>
>>64302903
In 1974 he was a superstar. Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy was the first album in history to debut at #1 on the Billboard Hot 200.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8Gr84rkJPs
>>
>>64302670
I don't care if it's the objective best album of the decade, I am not getting an album with THAT cover. What the fuck is he even doing?
>>
File: Elton John performing in 1973.jpg (79 KB, 598x465) Image search: [Google]
Elton John performing in 1973.jpg
79 KB, 598x465
>going bald at 24
>>
a Paragon of Conservatism

and a True Artist
>>
>>64303230
im going bald at 25
>>
>>64303212
looks like someone's never had a wonderful crazy night before
>>
>>64302756
if you like Tiny Dancer, check out the rest of Madman Across the Water - it's a true 70's classic

also you shouldn't push the gay angle of Elton's lyrics too far, his lyrics have been written since forever by Bernie Taupin who is straight, so there is always at least a bit of cheekiness:
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/bernie-taupin-on-48-years-writing-with-elton-john-and-their-new-lp-20151117
>>
>>64303230
>>64303267
feels bad man
>>
>>64303267
I was gonna pity you but you're a tripcuck. Too bad you didn't go bald at 15.
>>
>>64303230
He used toupees for years and then got a hair weave once it became available.
>>
>>64303081
that was trying to by my point - even someone born in the 70's didn't realize that Elton released great things in that decade

His 70's output is wonderful, but in the 80's he was a bit of a joke.
>>
>>64303377
Like I said, he was a horrible drug addict in the 80s and nearly destroyed his voice.
>>
>>64302390
i think hell be fine desu
>>
>>64303519
he had voice surgery in 1987 that destroyed his high register. pity really. Loved his falsetto in the 70's
>>
>>64303267
Finasteride Friend
>>
>>64303671
I'd just assumed his voice lowered naturally as he got older just like Rob Halford, who didn't have his throat operated on.
>>
He and Taupin had an ungodly work ethic. Elton John put out more good material in that time span than just about anyone else. Then cocaine wrecked him.

Tumbleweed Connection and Captain Fantastic are his best if you ask me.
>>
>>64303304
had a decent kek
>>
He's next. Just ask my dubs.
>>
>>64304480
It'd be a little dishonest if I didn't mention that Songs from the West Coast and The Union are also pretty good, even if they occasionally skew a little too much toward adult contemporary safeness.
>>
He's nothing without Bernie Taupin.

John/Taupin is some GOAT tier stuff though.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.