[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
here, since no one else seems to be able to figure it out i have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4
File: objective.png (2 MB, 2450x936) Image search: [Google]
objective.png
2 MB, 2450x936
here, since no one else seems to be able to figure it out i have made the new official /mu/core. i've been browsing /mu/ for nearly 10 years and have experienced both /mu/'s almost religiously. no one seems to get it right ever, first of all i think the old /mu/core albums have to be retired. the old albums, while still great and loved no longer speak for the community as it stands today. these are not popular albums or even ones that i love but ones that had a real impact on this board, i tried to be as objective as possible. also while i was compiling it i found it eerie how comparable i thought the new ones were to the old ones

if you like it or not SUNBATHER dethroned NMH's in the aeroplane over the sea. it had the similar meme effect that nmh had on this board where just the sight of the album cover could send a thread into a frenzy. ultimately i think NMH was the greater meme because it was more site wide instead of just /mu/ centered

i think floral shoppe was comparable to loveless. i predict that this will be the height of vaporwave much like loveless was the height of shoegaze. so sit tight vaporwave, you'll only have to wait 22 years for the next masterpiece. also i think they're both the "soundscape" album of the chart.

close to the edge just blew up within the last few years and is the ITCOTCK of this era of /mu/. before we'd have endless talks about ITCOTCK and most notably the controversial moon child, today we talk about getting up and down.

i really don't think ok computer and the seer are comparable but you cannot deny the swans storm which started with the seer. we would have discussions about soundtracks for the blind before but the seer was a total shift in popularity for swans and i think it deserves a spot.
>>
File: ABSOLUTE.jpg (72 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
ABSOLUTE.jpg
72 KB, 600x600
>>64299097
continued...

trout mask replica was always a topic on /mu/ but it stuck around and i think it got bigger than it ever did a few years ago. while kid a was a deconstruction of ok computer era radiohead trout mask replica was the deconstruction of the blues, its controversial and thats why i think we can't stop talking about it

im not sure where this one came from because a good beach boys conversation was a rarity on old /mu/. im inclined to give scruffi the credit for this one because we use to talk about the beatles a lot. then when his pasta surfaced all of a sudden it wasn't quite as cool to be a fan of the fab four, i think this is when brian wilson and pet sounds got its chance to shine. also it kind of reminded me of being the "arrangement" album of today

i couldn't decide if i should have the money store or no love deep web because the money store was a big deal on this site but i think no love deep web was the absolute height of DGmania on /mu/. DG and slint share a similar dark tone, lots of mystery in both groups and one of the many obsessions of the past 5 years.

last but not least MBDTF, had to be on the list, it was the dawn of a new era of /mu/ and took the board by complete storm like MPP had done in the year before.

there you have it. im dead serious in saying i think these albums give off the same spirit that the original /mu/core had, but what do you guys think?
>>
>>64299097
>if you like it or not SUNBATHER dethroned NMH's in the aeroplane over the sea

>i think NMH was the greater meme
>>
>>64299097
>>64299125
what is the record between TMR and CTTE I've never even seen that
>>
>>64299191

you do not understand the joy i use to get from watching people lose their fucking mind over in the aeroplane over the sea
>>
>>64299251
the seer you newfag. it was a really big deal on /mu/ and was the beginning of the rabid swans fanbase that still currently reside on /mu/
>>
>>64299288
I've been here about 8 months and I've never seen it till today so APPARENTLY it's not that big a deal
>>
File: 4482240_f260.jpg (25 KB, 260x356) Image search: [Google]
4482240_f260.jpg
25 KB, 260x356
>>64299327

it had an impact on the board. swans was not the highly toted band they are today on /mu/ prior to the seer. occasionally you'd get a soundtracks of the blind thread and most of the time pic related was the OP image but it was a rare sight. today there are new swans threads hourly
>>
>>64299097
>>64299125
I agree with this except for Sunbather, which I rarely see discussed anymore.

Plus the original /mu/core albums are still discussed daily, with the exception of maybe Skinny Fists.
>>
>>64299097
If you really HAVE been here for 10~ years, then you'd know how futile trying to canonise a new chart is. Quit your bullshit and realise that the 50,000th "okay heres the new mucore" thread won't be any more successful than the rest.
>>
>>64299458

i think it deserves a spot. it was our inside joke for a long time. it came and went but it was the epitome of the meme album of neo/mu/ in my opinion. i think /mu/ core has to be controversial, its what gives the albums its special place and helps them stick out in the flood of the other popular albums talked about regularly as well.

im glad the old /mu/core has a place on this board still though, they just don't nearly have the impact they use to.
>>
>>64299586
trust me, i've been around for a lot of bad /mu/core threads but i think my chart has meaning because i was around and remember how the old albums effected the community. i think a lot of the people who attempt to make the new charts either don't understand what it meant to be a /mu/core album or get to subjective when making the list. i tried to eliminate that and create a list that speaks for the community as a whole and i think i did about as good of a job as anyone can
>>
>>64299097
>>64299125
This chart is pretty good. Although I would probably put Ceres and Calypso on neo-/mu/, too and maybe sufjan's illinois on old /mu/.
>>
>>64299699
i also think we have reached enough time to officially create the new chart. i think a problem before was that we were so eager to make the new /mu/core that it just became a big cluster fuck with no direction. people just would add any album to the old list and it would never make any sense.
>>
Ive been on Mu since the lakers lost the championship to boston and I needed some new tunes to Pump me up because I kept seeing kevin garnett haunt my nightmares. You need to put pinkerton somewhere. Otherwise its a great chart.
>>
>>64299458
>>64299806
>>64299862

awe thanks guys, so far this feels like the closest we've come to agreement on this list in a long time.

as for albums like ceres and calypso, illinois and pinkerton: there have always been a sea of very popular albums each year that get quite a bit of discussion, i mean there is really great music that is released every year. but you have to be picky in what you chose as the /mu/core. that's why 2nd tier classics exist. i mean remain in light is another album i considered but idk, it doesn't feel like it could quite make the cut. you could make a solid argument for a lot of albums.
>>
I haven't been on this board since 2012. There seriously hasn't been any NEW meme records?
>>
>>64299458

S U N B A T H E R is to black metal that in the aeroplane is to folk. it might make the purists of the genre puke but that's part of its charm. you either love it or hate it, and both album covers are iconic. its that lightning in a bottle thing that makes it really stand out.
>>
>>64299097
>no Bowie
fuck off
>>
>>64300603
there is no question that david bowie has always been immensely popular on /mu/ for years but so have the beatles. i can't be throwing up ziggy/heroes/low up on a list like i can't be throwing up revolver/rubber soul/abbey road on the list. that's more about the artist than it is the album.
>>
>>64300500
old boots and fishermen
>>
File: ken.jpg (31 KB, 300x293) Image search: [Google]
ken.jpg
31 KB, 300x293
>>64300730
>old boots and fishermen

that kind of feels like the by request only of today.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.