[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which one is more talented?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 8
File: 1457525479519.jpg (466 KB, 1990x1297) Image search: [Google]
1457525479519.jpg
466 KB, 1990x1297
Which one is more talented?
>>
What kind of question is that lmao grimes obviously Bjork is so washed up
>>
Bjork lol, duh
>>
what a silly question
>>
>>64295034
Low level bait.
>>
bjork

>>64295104
this
>>
>>64295061
Some may say it's Björk. I prefer Grimes tbch.
>>
Bjork is one of the greatest female artists of all time.

Grimes is the flavor of the month pop star. You should be comparing her to the likes of Aluna George and FKA Twigs rather than Bjork. That's a far more apt comparison.
>>
Low quality bait.

Obviously it's Bjork, and I like both artists. But Bjork it's influential, much more talented and relevant than Grimes
>>
>>64295217
>"some"

lol
>>
Grimes isn't worthy enough to sniff Bjork's bicycle seat.
>>
>>64295294
>Grimes is the flavor of the month pop star. You should be comparing her to the likes of Aluna George and FKA Twigs rather than Bjork. That's a far more apt comparison.
Good joke. Unlike FKA Twigs or AlunaGeorge, Grimes is also a producer and makes superior music. She's not a pop star and not even flavor of the month. People talk about her for years constantly.

Grimes doesn't have a legacy like Bjork yet, but she's on the right path.
>>
>>64295382
I don't understand all this Bjork adoration. It's too much. Her best work is in the distant past.
>>
>>64295459
She just release a great album last year.
>>
>>64295459
Vulnicura is easily one of her top 3 albums, and my favorite personally
>>
I read the question as who was the most retarded. Grimes would win that
>>
>>64295459
it still exists though it's not like music ages lol
>>
Grimes is already washed up. It's time to move on.
>>
>>64295487
Unfortunately I don't think it's great. Grimes seems more innovative now. Art Angels continued that Army of Me, Big Time Sensuality, Human Behaviour, Hyperballad tradition.
>>
>>64295426
Grimesfag please

>Unlike FKA Twigs or AlunaGeorge, Grimes is also a producer and makes superior music
Yeah right bro. Maybe AlunaGeorge, but her and Twigs are on the same level.

>Unlike FKA Twigs or AlunaGeorge, Grimes is also a producer and makes superior music
People didn't give a shit until Roc Nation started spamming her.
>>
>>64295559
How do you know that?
>>
>>64295560
Art Angles is literally generic synthpop

>>64295585
The quality of Art Angels and her shitty Coachella set.
>>
>>64295560
How is what Grimes is doing even slightly innovative?
>>
>>64295584
>but her and Twigs are on the same level.
Grimes is so much better than that sleepy and boring Twigs it's not even funny.

>People didn't give a shit until Roc Nation started spamming her.
You have to prove this ridiculous rumor. People gave a shit about her long before she signed to Rox Nation, through word of mouth.
>>
>>64295603
>Art Angles is literally generic synthpop
If it's generic where are the similar albums?

>The quality of Art Angels and her shitty Coachella set.
The quality of Art Angels was evaluated by professional critics: it was very acclaimed. Her Coachella set wasn't as bad you believe it. Consequence of Sound ranked it at #6:

>No question that creatively restless Grimes is one of the most intense (and intensely idolized) artists to emerge this decade, an enlightened firebrand and meaning-seeker whose sometimes deceptively shiny/happy/giddy electro concoctions (like the seemingly wispy “Flesh Without Blood”) are stuffed with lyrics worth poring over to unlock potential secrets and layers of unanticipated depth. But her superb, big-drawing Mojave set opposite Guns N’ Roses on the main was most memorable for three reasons, only two of which have so much to do with Grimes herself: 1.) Janelle Monáe’s surprise assist on collaborative cut “Venus Fly”, which raised the crowd’s response to a deafening roar as she spun about in a feathery-fringed coat (black-and-white of course) and a broad-brimmed hat that made her look like she’d just come to life from the inner sleeve of Prince’s Sign o’ the Times. 2.) The manic shrieking of pint-sized Aristophanes, who might as well have spat out a lung by the time she was done Yoko Ono-ing it up on “Scream”. And 3.) Grimes’ own minute-long modulated banshee howl, a terrifyingly distorted sound, just before Monáe surfaced. She can be as fascinating to watch live as St. Vincent or Björk. What sets her apart is the interjected horror of it all. –Ben Wener

http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/04/coachella-2016-festival-review-from-worst-to-best/42/
>>
>>64295608
>How is what Grimes is doing even slightly innovative?
It's innovative because no one else did it like her. Seriously, do you know a song like Be a Body? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fb_0LzBv894
>>
>>64295742
>If it's generic where are the similar albums?
See: Madonna, Ray of Light.
>>
>>64295805
That's my favorite Madonna album. But how is that album even remotely similar to Art Angels?

Compare:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zETVr04XUE4

with:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2EJMd7ZN7w

It's funny when people claim that Art Angels is generic but they can't find even a decent example of a similar album...
>>
>>64295742
>If it's generic where are the similar albums?
Just go to RYM and look up synthpop albums, especially anything recent.

Also you're not doing any favors to yourself by constantly just posting other people's opinions to defend your own. The Coachella set was awful and the difference between her and St. Vincent and Bjork is that St. Vincent and Bjork actually are competent at playing their instruments and singing.

Just because a music journal can dress up an awful performance to fool people who didn't see it doesn't mean anything. You could do it for any performance if you're dedicated enough.
>>
>>64295874
Just compare the titular tracks of both albums and try tell me they aren;t similar.
>>
File: victorial.jpg (65 KB, 327x496) Image search: [Google]
victorial.jpg
65 KB, 327x496
Obviously.
>>
>>64295676
By what metric is Grimes better than Twigs beyond some vague insults?

>You have to prove this ridiculous rumor. People gave a shit about her long before she signed to Rox Nation, through word of mouth.
So you're telling me Grimes' level of fame pre Roc Nation was the same or even bigger than it is now?
>>
>>64295899
I know the best synthpop albums like the back of my hand and there's nothing similar to that album. I'd like to be proven wrong with a strong example.

>Also you're not doing any favors to yourself by constantly just posting other people's opinions to defend your own.
Why not? My opinion doesn't worth anything on an anonymous board anyway, so an external, more neutral opinion is welcomed. My opinion + an external opinion have more weight than my own opinion alone.

I watched her Coachella performance twice and it was decent with some exceptions (Butterfly comes to my mind). It didn't help that the mixing was poorly done.
>>
>>64295874
Kill V. Maim is basically an amalgamation of everything wrong with indie rock, PC Music, and radio Top 40 pop.

The song is sort of its own thing, but it doesn't matter if everything is really just a bunch of old cliches. Don't lie to yourself by saying 'oh, it's ironic' or some shit like that either.
>>
>>64295426
Twigs is a producer and a v good one.
>>
File: annie.jpg (262 KB, 669x1000) Image search: [Google]
annie.jpg
262 KB, 669x1000
no competition
>>
>>64296047
>pic unrelated
>>
I'm pretty sure we had this exact same thread here >>64288210

So I'll say Solex again just like I did in that thread.
>>
>>64295968
>So you're telling me Grimes' level of fame pre Roc Nation was the same or even bigger than it is now?
No. Her popularity grew naturally. Grimes featured on all music sites and publications that count. She isn't a fake artist, but a real one with a solid fanbase.

>By what metric is Grimes better than Twigs beyond some vague insults?
Twigs is boring like hell. Who in his right mind would pick Twigs instead of Grimes, which is the best female synthpop artist at this moment?
>>
>>64296047
This is Grimes vs Bjork though.
>>
>>64296070
>Who in his right mind would pick Twigs instead of Grimes
me

i'm not the other guy by the way
>>
>>64296067
Fuck man, Solex is great

Low Kick and Hard Bop is fantastic
>>
>>64295943
Vaguely similar because of the fast tempo and those guitars. But really, find a better example.
>>
>>64296111
I was half joking. Pick anything you want, it's damn subjective.
>>
>>64296112
Have you listened to anything other than Low Kick? Most people I see talking about her seem to only have listened to that album.
>>
>>64296126
honestly no matter what people post, you're just going to cherrypick the differences
>>
>it's an 'OP spams his waifu Grimes and claims she's the greatest female musician ever with wikipedia links and broken English' thread

haven't we had enough of these?
>>
>>64296165
Honestly no, is there a favorite of yours I should check out?
>>
>>64295994
>Kill V. Maim is basically an amalgamation of everything right with indie rock, PC Music, and radio Top 40 pop.
fify

>Don't lie to yourself by saying 'oh, it's ironic' or some shit like that either.
Relax, I'm not lying myself. I like this song for real. It's fucking one of its kind. You have to right to not like it tho.
>>
>>64296147
>I was half serious
it's damn subjective you asswipe
>>
>>64296174
>wikipedia links
Where?

>and broken English
Where?
>>
File: front.jpg (238 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
front.jpg
238 KB, 600x600
>>64296181
I like all her stuff but I think Pick Up is around the same quality of Low Kick and Hard Bop. She's got 5 solo albums and a collab at this point. The collab is pretty fantastic too I think. Solex vs the Hitmeister, her first album, is more along the lines of hip hop (as in the instrumental, not rapping) and breakbeat than her other stuff so if you like that you might like it.
>>
>>64296094
Byork > Grimes
Byork = Annie Clark
>>
File: 1456121954202.png (94 KB, 267x271) Image search: [Google]
1456121954202.png
94 KB, 267x271
>>64296230
>being this defensive
>>
>>64296289
>Byork
>>
>>64296232
I'd like to check out all of them at some point, I guess I'll start with Pick Up
>>
>>64295034
Bjork right now, no question. It will be interesting to see what Grimes does with the rest of her career now, though, because she's on a strange trajectory from weeaboo-electro-grunge-pop to indie-sjw-pop. What happens next?
>>
Why are you even asking?
>>
>>64296541
He needs validation for his liking Grimes.
>>
File: 1457735611513.jpg (826 KB, 2000x2695) Image search: [Google]
1457735611513.jpg
826 KB, 2000x2695
haha good one OP..

Grimey is the best.
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.