[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Richard Lyons from negativland died who is 100x more influential
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2
File: 2001.jpg (12 KB, 232x300) Image search: [Google]
2001.jpg
12 KB, 232x300
Richard Lyons from negativland died who is 100x more influential and creative than Prince, is getting no public reaction from it. Meanwhile everyone on /mu/ is acting like Prince is some sort of god when absouletly no threads were made about him before he died discussing his music.

Fuck you all
>>
>>64293782
Pls don't do this

People are gonna starting meming him out of spite
>>
negativland are bad
>>
But you expect poor people with no money to die
>>
>>64293782
>who is 100x more influential and creative than Prince

yeah, maybe to poseurs
>>
>delusional
>>
literally WHO
>>
>>64293782
Do you know what influential means?
>>
>>64293782
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

And i'm not even remotely a Prince fan.
>>
>person who made easily accessible music is more popular than guy who made more obscure music with a higher barrier of entry
shocking
>>
>>64294628
nice fake laugh, fag
>>
I don't even know who the fuck this guy is
>>
>>64293782

I made a Negativland thread yesterday and literally no one responded
>>
>Find out he died
>Listen to Negativland for the first time because of it (I've been putting them down for a long time)
>Love them
I feel dirty.
>>
>>64295154
Oh i also forgot
>Happy Hero
Damn...
>>
>>64293782
>More influential
>no threads.
Good logic
>>
>love Dispepsi
>like Escape From Noise a lot
>think Helter Stupid is solid but not particularly great

what next?
>>
>>64295401
>popularity = influence
lol
>>
They weren't influential. They were just try hard, edgy culture jammers.

I also love the way Edge blew them the fuck out.

"Sure, mate, gimmie your number. I lend you some cash."

And then never called.

Out trolled the self-proclaimed trollers.
>>
>>64296345

you have no fucking clue what you are talking about, they were hugely influential in the use of samples and sound collages in music.

>inb4 Zappa and The Residents did it first

that's true but not to the same extent Negativland took it, Negativland really made it THEIR thing whereas those other artists just made minor forays into it over the course of much stylistically different careers.

financial difficulties has absolutely fuckall to do with the quality or influence of their music. and they never proclaimed themselves trolls/trollers, I mean yeah they were pretty mischievous but they weren't just doing retarded IT'S JUST A PRANK BRO!! shit, they actually tried to make you THINK a little.
>>
It's herd instinct.
>>
>>64296255
anon...
>>
File: u2.jpg (46 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
u2.jpg
46 KB, 600x600
>>64296570
>you have no fucking clue what you are talking about, they were hugely influential in the use of samples and sound collages in music.

Poor ghetto DJs in the "hood" beat Negativland to the sampling punch by nearly decade, isolating breakbeats and such to creative seemingly "original" songs. And Musique concrete did sound collage when the members of Negativland were still floating around in a scrotum.

Maybe they never proclaimed themselves as trollers, but they knew what the fuck they were doing. They were sure as Hell slapping their knees in laughter at the prospect of all the naive U2 fans buying pic related.

They had a cute shtick, in the vein of a Shepard Fairey or Ron English or even Andy Kaufman, but they'll be largely forgotten. The only people who will remember them are art degree'd hipsters who binge read Naomi Klein and Zizek, and think Jeff Koons is the greatest living artist.
>>
Haven't heard any of their stuff, but I know that they're one of those "important" bands that I should listen to someday. I might seek them out later. Sucks that not much attention has been paid to his passing. It happens, especially when you're unfortunate enough to croak within the shadow of someone as famous as Prince. While Prince was a good performer, and certainly was talented, it's already annoying how everyone is calling him a genius. But it is what it is.
>>
>>64297210
>Jeff Koons
lmao this is spot on
>>
>>64297210

>Poor ghetto DJs in the "hood" beat Negativland to the sampling punch by nearly decade

lmaooooo you think hip-hop and club music sampling is comparable to what Negativland did? give me a break.

>Musique concrete

you're right about this but prior to Negativland, musique concrete was pretty much exclusively an art music thing, Negativland helped recontextualize it for popular music. technically nothing original has ever been done in popular music outside of jazz, but that's a whole different story.

>They were sure as Hell slapping their knees in laughter at the prospect of all the naive U2 fans buying pic related.

and there's literally nothing wrong with that, fuck U2 fans.

>The only people who will remember them are art degree'd hipsters who binge read Naomi Klein and Zizek, and think Jeff Koons is the greatest living artist.

holy fuck that projection
>>
This poor guy didn't deserve this shitty thread with people arguing over bullshit.
>>
>>64293782
Do you expect good taste on neo-/mu/?
>>
damn...
>>
>>64297210
>>64297309
except no one with an art degree who binges on zizek thinks jeff koons is a great artist.
your cliches are as inaccurate as your opinion.
>>
>>64297366
>lmaooooo you think hip-hop and club music sampling is comparable to what Negativland did? give me a break.

I'm just debunking your claim that Negativland somehow popularized and revolutionized sampling. And yes, as soon as the AKAI MPC became widely used in hip-hop, sampling techniques in that genre were as dense as anything Negativland were doing.

You just don't like the former because it has some degree of cultural relevance, likely because you're an art student hipster who wears a Che Guevera t-shit.

>and there's literally nothing wrong with that, fuck U2 fans.

Of course. "They're bad cuz they're popular, amirite!! Their 'pleb' fans deserve to be duped out of 10.00!"

It was poetic justice how Edge trolled the fuck out of them in that interview.

"We, um, would like ask you for a loan."

"Yeah, call this number. We can set something up."

And nothing.
>>
>>64297525

People who binge read Zizek are pretty stupid, so I just took it for granted they would like Jeff Koons.
>>
>>64297593
tarrying with the negative and sublime object of ideology are quite nice.
>>
>>64293782
Another talentless hacks
>muh avantgarde
avantgarde music is SHIT
>>
Plunderphonics is pretty dope
>>
>>64293804
>>64293841
>>64293885
>>64294628
>>64295401
>>64297843
Shit taste and opinions confirmed, you underage morons.

Go back to whatever shithole you all came from.
>>
oh shit

best live show of the year 2014
>>
>>64299206
You really think Negativland influenced more people than Prince?
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.