[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Save me the trouble, is he a Hack?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 9
File: prince.jpg (77 KB, 625x415) Image search: [Google]
prince.jpg
77 KB, 625x415
Haven't listened to a single song by him.
>>
Find out for yourself
>>
I think the world needs to be thought a lesson about not making your music easily available on the Internet, so I suggest keeping things this way.
>>
>>64292069
Kill yourself, friendo.
>>
Top 5 songs

Let's Go Crazy
When Doves Cry
Dirty Mind
Kiss
>>
>>64292100
No he's right, you should kill yourself.
>>
Listen to Computer Blue
>>
>>64292051
Underage detected. Please go back to listen to Meme Grips.
>>
He's the guy all the hacks copied in the 80s
>>
>>64292148
>>64292069
samefag, reddit is that way.

>>64292138
I just listened to When Doves Cry, was pretty gay desu.

>>64292170
Pretty good, is all of his stuff just as solid?

>>64292252
Death Grips is godly, your small mindedness for music is showing.
>>
File: mu.png (1 MB, 955x753) Image search: [Google]
mu.png
1 MB, 955x753
>>64292343
is this you?
>>
File: Ultrapop - 1461250548130.jpg (194 KB, 735x1169) Image search: [Google]
Ultrapop - 1461250548130.jpg
194 KB, 735x1169
What is this 4 you?
https://youtu.be/YQV5LiNIavE
>>
>>64292138

>No Raspberry Beret
>No I would Die 4 U
>>
>>64292810
>>No Raspberry Beret
he couldn't seriously call it Raspberet?
>>
>>64292051
Scaruffi called him the third most overrated artist after the Beatles and Elvis
>>
File: 1336553720509.jpg (10 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1336553720509.jpg
10 KB, 320x240
>>64292951
>scaruffi
>>
>>64292138
Not enough funky Prince.
>>
>>64292343
>Pretty gay
Nah, he was aggressively heterosexual.
>>
>>64293029
classic gay overcompensation
>>
>>64293061
you must be very familiar with it
>>
I liked Prince for the persona he established, but not so much for the music. A brilliant figurehead for sure, but he had little musical importance and did not innovate.

He also can pull off a white sweater and a cane at a football game.
>>
>>64292138
>no Little Red Corvette
>>
>>64293061
>not knowing Prince got laid by every babe ever
>not knowing Prince made Carmen Electra famous by giving her that good dick
>>
File: gloverabbit.png (236 KB, 990x520) Image search: [Google]
gloverabbit.png
236 KB, 990x520
prince inspired https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaRoV8TYWvU
no glove rabbit without prince
>>
>>64293135
You're a faggot. Plenty of famous musicians have called him the best musician they've ever met.

He also is credited for a lot successful pop songs from The Bangles to Alicia Keys
>>
>Controversy
>D.M.S.R.
>Scandalous
>Let's Pretend We're Married
>1999
>Sexy M.F.
>Batdance
>Partyman
>>
>>64293135
>but he had little musical importance

Right, he had little influence on pretty small genres such as R&B and Pop variants.
>>
>>64293491
i've literally never heard of him untill now and i haven't heard a single of his songs (probably not even on radio)

sounds like an massively overrated hack to me, honestly
>>
>>64293654
I perform music in the bay area of California. Every single producer I know and have ever met knows who Prince is.

Sounds like you're just a tubby bitch who can't into music.
>>
>>64293491
He had influence on a lot of pop/R&B artists, but he didn't actually put out a distinctly progressive album

Since when are radio pop and r&b avant-garde?
>>
>>64293730
sounds like you are a great bunch of pretentious fags to me

i quite simply didn't know he existed until i saw all the people jerking off about his death on what seems like every website in existence

and listening to a few of his songs now i apparently didn't really miss much
>>
File: d5c.jpg (36 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
d5c.jpg
36 KB, 625x626
>>64293830
>i quite simply didn't know he existed
>>
>>64293730
>I perform music in the bay area of California.

Which BART station?
>>
>>64293805
>Since when are radio pop and r&b avant-garde?

What the fuck does that have to do with anything?
>>
>>64293863
why the fuck would you think that is a bait? is it really so unfathomable to you that some of us never heard of this fag before yesterday?
>>
>>64293654
you have to be an absolute hermit or autistic to not know who prince is until now
>>
>>64293884
You said Prince had influence on pop and r&b but both of those genres(outside of the experimental side) have few innovative qualities. Therefore, Prince has little IMPORTANCE in the music world
>>
>>64293863
Every Prince who? thread at this point is pure bait. There was one on /pol/ before claiming the VAST MAJORITY of black people don't know who Prince is. Okay.
>>
>>64293938
or, you might just be one of the vocal minority of pretentious fucks that knew him?

>>64293974
yeah everyone knows him today, thanks to all the forcing by faggots like you
i'll probably forget about him in about a week though
>>
>>64294003
>several landmarks lit with purple light
>tributes from all corners of the industry
>official statement made by the President of the United States
>faggots forcing

Okay
>>
>>64294003
>vocal minority of pretentious fucks that knew him
>minority
Prince has several platinum selling albums and is one of the best selling artists of all time.
If you know Michael Jackson there's almost no reason to not know Prince.
>>
>>64294118
>>64294063
well then why have i (or op) never heard about him before? i sure as fuck know michael jackson, i've listened to and enjoyed a bunch of his songs long before he died, yet i never in my life heard a single prince song anywhere
>>
>>64294177
>well then why have i (or op) never heard about him before?
Because you're underage.
>>
>>64294003
>pretentious fucks
cool buzzword, too bad you clearly have no idea what it means or are just projecting
maybe you're just retarded for not knowing who a ~35 year music icon is
>>
>>64294230
i'm 25, try again
>>
>>64294246
well from what i've listened in the past half hour his music is pretty shit so i'm not really going to sweat over not knowing him
>>
>>64292138
>no Purple Rain
R U mad?
>>
>>64294299
cool then quit being a sperg about it, nobody in this thread is madder than you desu
>>
>>64294003

>It's considered pretentious to know Prince.

Fucking kek. He was a famous pop musician with a string of hits.
>>
>>64294367
within the first 3 posts op was told to kill himself
p sure you princefags are more mad than i am
>>
>>64294394
op and i both never heard any of his songs before
some """string of hits""" he had....
>>
>>64292138
you fucking suck
>>
>>64294400
you're arguing with like four different anons, you don't get to decide whose the maddest
>>
File: EjJopdb.jpg (16 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
EjJopdb.jpg
16 KB, 600x600
>>64293654
>>
>>64294453
well you quite straightforwardly said
>nobody in this thread is madder than you desu
and i pointed out at least one person (within first 3 posts!) who is obviously madder than me
>>
>>64293135
>he had little musical importance and did not innovate

Get the fuck out of here you fucking ingrate. I am so fucking sick and tired of these actual children talking shit about things they don't fucking understand yet
>>
>>64294475
it wasn't really up for discussion, i was stating a fact when i said that you're the biggest sperg in the thread

stay mad
>>
>>64294461
how about you try reading the rest of the replies and responding with an actual post instead of some retarded 3 yo meme?
>>
>>64294504
yeah i pointed out how your """""fact""""" is wrong

serious question, how new are you to arguments? this is some elementary school shit with what you are spewing
>>
>>64294539
i'm not trying to argue, i feel bad arguing with literal retards
but the fact that you keep trying to prove me wrong only solidifies my statement
>>
>>64294248
as he said . You are to young to have been around . Purple Rain as an album and a Movie was huge success and everyone saw it that was in the age range of 17 to 30 I'd say. It won the Academy Award for best Original Song Score. and the album has sold more then 26 million copies and yielded 2 #1 and 1 #2 hit singles. If you have never heard a Prince song it is because of contrarian musical taste.
>>
>>64294583
>i'm not trying to argue
lol
>>
>>64294507
Tell me, why waste energy trying to convince one of the following:

1. a troll laughing his ass off while a bunch of people get baited;
2. an autistic normie who doesn't even know who Prince was (and Prince was quite famous for a normie to know him, so go figure the level of musical ignorance of a person who doesn't know who he was...)
>>
>>64294625
Ok i think i'm done on this board for awhile
I'm starting to remember why I thought /mu/ was autistic
>>
>>64294623
well that is the first nice reply i've got in this thread, thank you

purple rain apparently came out in 1984 though, meaning i am actually a generation behind from knowing him (my parents actually may know who he is then). and you are probably right about the musical taste as well
>>
>>64294677
or maybe it might just be that i don't know who he is precisely because i'm NOT a normie? that sounds like a much more plausible hypothesis to me
>>
>>64294753
Dude, I'm from 1991, from South America and still know him since when I was like 9 years old. He still had airplay on radio and TV (especially MTV) and people would talk about him all the time, because he is a big influence in some musicians. I don't buy the generation argument.
>>
>>64294753
I also thank you for a nice reply. Thank you for your civility. At least we can converse as adults here.
>>
>>64294810
Prince was exactly in the crossroads between pop and alternative music. Both normies and people more knowledgeable about music would know him. That's why I think you're actually a troll, an underage, a hermit or someone who just doesn't care about music and should get the hell out of /mu/.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Lmq6RDn5O8

So smooth.
>>
>>64294753
Purple Rain was huge. It's hard to describe. It was huge and it wasn't a normie thing, it was a freak thing and it got way huge. Something like Thriller was normie, even though it's great, MJ is just Motown all grown up. Purple Rain, on the other hand, was freaks, fags, weirdos, nightclub people, rock people, fashion people, artists, musicians. People who went on to create a lot of culture that you DO know are influenced in no small part by Prince.
>>
I honestly never heard many people talk about Prince.
He was always that B Artist everyone knew but didn't really care about.
Weird to see how the public is reacting since he passed.
>>
Reason no one talked about him was because he wouldn't even allow his videos on the internet and took his music of spotify pretty much making it so that people under 25 wouldn't even know who he is.
>>
>>64294842
hmm...
would you say you know him more or less than michael jackson? last few days i feel really out of the loop with how much attention he's gotten everywhere and i really dont understand how i've never heard of him before.

>>64294989
yeah i can actually see this being completely true, i guess i just never bothered to look into anything far enough to find him
>>
No one was talking about Prince on /mu/ before he died

He's garbage

Bowie is shit too but at least people were discussing him before he died as well
>>
>>64295071
this might actually be a huge part of it. and looking over the archives i also see that (at least purple rain) wasnt really often shared on /mu/ so it is completely possible that it slipped through the cracks for me
>>
File: image.jpg (81 KB, 599x599) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
81 KB, 599x599
>>64292951
>Scaruffi
>>
File: image.jpg (26 KB, 318x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26 KB, 318x480
>muh Scaruffi guiz
>>
>>64295110
Michael Jackson was way more popular, of course. I already knew MJ since I was way younger. Just so you know, I have to say that my upbringing was not musical at all as far as my parents are concerned. They don't care and don't know about music, so I don't have that advantage. A lot of people know stuff because their parents introduced music to them.

Anyway, Prince was a bit more challenging so he didn't become a world phenomenon like Michael Jackson but they were similar in respect of being both successful hitmakers, having that edgy attitude and controversy surrounding them, and being two sexy sons of bitches.
>>
>>64295071
this op, I'm 25 too and was getting into Prince a few years back on spotify. Came back to find his music was removed. That said I was always aware of his influence on other artists.
>>
>>64295273
ok, this is pretty interesting then. i also come from a similar upbringing with regards to music and while i knew MJ very well, listening to these prince songs now doesn't bring back _any_ memories at all. every song i open just sounds completely new to me.

well in any case, thank you for helping educate me about him at least
>>
>>64294118
to be fair, MJ became a walking tabloid. that goes a long way. He was a big deal before then, but he was also quite a normal, "straight" guy. Family-friendly pop material. Prince was pop, but edgy freaky androgynous hypersexual pop, and very rock n roll
>>
>>64295005
Prince touched me as a child. Not like that either. But kinda yeah heheh
>>
>>64295615
>very rock n roll

Yeah I get the feeling it's this part that's not translating so well. Prince was way closer to someone like Slash or to like James Brown in his heyday then he was to Michael Jackson or safe pop like that. Prince concerts back in the day would absolutely be considered a rock concert, a rock event.
Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.