[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
All this shit about Prince dying has made me hate him. He was
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 3
File: prince-extralarge_1410222477760.jpg (407 KB, 3000x3025) Image search: [Google]
prince-extralarge_1410222477760.jpg
407 KB, 3000x3025
All this shit about Prince dying has made me hate him. He was a complacent musician and made alright pop albums, then went down the shitter. People act like he was a virtuoso that made complex masterpieces, when there was only a window of time where he was good.
>>
He's a black tranny. This is the culture we live in.
>>
I don't disagree that his work wasn't really anything too special, but he was excellent at guitar.
>>
I don't hate him for it, I hate the hype. I personally haven't heard a single song from him that I thought was amazing.
>>
You have an aggressive form of autism anon, kys
>>
>>64291434
I guess I should've clarified that. I don't hate him in a direct way, it's just so fucking annoying
>>
>>64291436
Is it really autistic to be annoyed that an average pop artist is getting more attention that way better artists just because he died
>>
>>64291363
grow up you fucking child
>>
>>64291530
nah, the bowie spam on /mu/ was the worst shit and Blackstar's RYM rating makes me want to kill myself
>>
>>64291545
Sorry I'm not on your circlejerking bandwagon to support a ok artist and to shove it into everybody's face.
>>64291571
At least it was only online though. Everyone in public is acting like 9/11 happened
>>
>>64291530
What do you expect? Prince has been a star since longer than you've been alive.
>>
>>64291530
This isn't anything new. Same thing happened with Robin Williams -- everyone acted like he was the best comedian ever when everyone I knew couldn't stand him before he died.
>>
>>64291641
I've listened to his albums back in the day. I'd say I have more ground to stand on.
>>
>>64291673
What are you even talking about?
>>
I've seen live performances that show that he was clearly an excellent guitarist, but nothing I've heard from him showcases that. All of the songs of his I've heard are dated 80's pop songs. Any of his albums that show off his guitar skill?
>>
>>64291530
what the fuck? how was prince an average pop artist lmao. back this shit up or gtfo.
>>
>>64291739
I have listened to Prince's albums, since the album 1999
>>64291774
He may be unique from other pop artists, but he is pop in a general sense. There's a few "classics", but most of his albums weighs his quality down.
>>
>>64291571
I hope you know that Blackstar had plenty of high praise before Bowie died.
>>
>>64291832
>I have listened to Prince's albums, since the album 1999
Completely irrelevant
>>
>>64291883
Well, you were implying in >>64291641 that I was underage, what the fuck did you expect me to say
>>
>>64291832
>implying that music has to be experimental in order to be good
>implying pop music is inherently bad because it's "pop"

nonsense
>>
>>64291952
the thing is, like what I said in the OP post, people act like he is super complex.
It is average pop music, not necessarily bad, just average
>>
>>64291947
I wasn't implying you were underage, I was showing how long Prince was actively a pop star. It's weird for you to question the reaction to his death, it's almost like you don't know how the world works.
>>
>Visit boomer music forum like I do every day
>See http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/the-ultimate-artist.529653/
>Prince in every other post

Fuck's sake.
>>
>>64292013
Ha I'm a regular on Steve Hoffman Forums. Place sucks for the most part lol.
>>
>>64292008
The hyperbole of the masses, acting like he is amazing just because he made catchy songs and was attractive to women is annoying, not the mourning.
You can mourn somebody without saying they're Mozart or some shit
>>
>>64292001
who acts like he's "super complex"?

I've never actually seen people generally praise him for writing "complex" (very vague term btw) songs, and I'd say his music is far, far beyond average. Purple Rain, 1999 and Sign 'O' The Times are all some of the best composed music in the world of pop/funk that I've ever heard. Even if you hate Prince's music with a passion I literally cannot see how somebody would look or listen to him and find him average.
>>
>>64292091
Obviously people don't agree with you
>>64292095
>>
>>64292095
see >>64282636
you even say he makes "the best composed music in the work of pop/funk" as well, am I really in the wrong here?
>>
>>64291363
>then went down the shitter
most of your post is shit but this is the salient point

he hasn't been musically relevant for decades. he's already been effectively dead for over 20 years

the only people who could possibly care are oldfags who grew up with his music
>>
>>64292095
day he died, talk show people were talking about how complex his music was
>>
>>64291747
He is the poster boy of what happens when you stop making music videos and fight tooth and nail against your music being available online in any legal way.

People know only his stuff before he went all "only people who actually bought the CD will ever know what I've released now" because that's how it goes.
>>
In a way, Prince was basically a hipster equivalent to Michael Jackson. They made similarly flashy and raunchy music, but Prince just did it in a slightly weirder more "out there" way.

He was more of an important cultural figure than musician truth be told.
>>
>>64292240

Only a pleb who haven't listened to Purple Rain or Sign O Time would say shit like this.
>>
>>64292153
I said his music was some of the "best composed", not some of the most complex music that I have heard. No implication there between the two. Some complex music is composed well, plenty isn't, and vice versa.

>>64292176
Yeah but I've never read/heard fans of Prince or music critics who like him saying that he's a great musician because his music is technically difficult or challenging to perform or understand. Just saying most Prince fans like him for different reasons other than "complexity" in an instrumental sense.
>>
File: retard.jpg (71 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
retard.jpg
71 KB, 500x500
>>64291363
>All this shit about Prince dying has made me hate him.
>>
>>64291530
Which artists should people be paying attention to? If you're talking about how America couldn't care less about Merle Haggard, that would make some sense.
>>
>>64292342
Not in a literal sense
I even said this around the beginning of the thread
>>64292358
Nah, Merle Haggard is unimportant. I'm talking about people like Ornette Coleman or at least Captain Beefheart. yeah I know these people wouldn't get large attention, but at the time I didn't really see much
>>
>>64292038
Yeah, I mostly lurk because half the thread titles alone have me rolling my eyes.
>>
>>64292297
Purple Rain is his most famous alubm.
and an awful movie.
>>
I wouldn't call him special/great but he wasn't average. Average is something like Taylor Swift or A-ha or something
>>
Youngsters in here do not realize that Prince was immensely popular in the mid to late 80's, and managed to fade out with dignity in the following decades.
I wasn't much into his music, but I must admit that Sign O' the Times, Nothing Compares to U, Pourple Rain are far from average pop music.
If yesterday ALL newpapers in the world opened with his death there is a reason.
>>
>>64292440
>Ornette Coleman
>Memeheart

Never mind.
>>
>>64291530
prince isn't average. you know nothing about music.
>>
File: dick-232x300.jpg (12 KB, 232x300) Image search: [Google]
dick-232x300.jpg
12 KB, 232x300
Richard Lyons from negativland died who is 100x more influential and creative than Prince, is getting no public reaction from it. Meanwhile everyone on /mu/ is acting like Prince is some sort of god when absouletly no threads were made about him before he died discussing his music.

Fuck you all
>>
>>64293430
the average public has never heard of Richard Lyons...where everyone in last 4 decades has heard of Prince. Yet you find this odd. /mu/ is a microcasm and in no reflects what the rest of the world considers important. But you know that. That's why you consider yourself superior to Us Normies.
>>
if he's a mediocre pop artist then who was a great one?
>>
>>64292038
>>64292013
Oh you've been on SHF?

Have you see the guy I'm talking about here?

>>64294008
>>
>>64295049
Someone white
>>
>>64295203
Don't think so...
>>
>>64295326
Dude's username was jgreen. If you search that on the site, you can find a whole trail of his shitposts.
>>
If nobody's discussed Prince in here before, it's likely because nobody is able to listen to his music due to his faggotry.
>>
>>64291628
>The black 9/11
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.