[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Parquet courts is literally the only good Indie rock band of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 6
Parquet courts is literally the only good Indie rock band of the past 5 years ptobe me wrong protip u canf
>>
Their new album bored me to tears
>>
File: national[1].jpg (189 KB, 605x399) Image search: [Google]
national[1].jpg
189 KB, 605x399
>>
>>64287858
they arent good. indie has never been good
>>
>>64287903
Shitty death cab whine core
>muh mature rock
>>
they had a lot of promise but appear to have traded it all in for being lazy hipsters. those SXSW live recordings on youtube are 10/10.

that monastic living or whatever in particular was just god awful, they should honestly be ashamed they ever released it.
>>
Do solo artists count or are you just talking about bands?
>>
>>64287988
also their bassist is the biggest fucking goober I've ever seen. in their nardwuar interview he literally can't even talk, he just babbles some nonsense and gives a retarded smile.

overall one of the bigger disappointments I've witnessed in the last 7 years.
>>
File: girls_10_14.jpg (87 KB, 565x425) Image search: [Google]
girls_10_14.jpg
87 KB, 565x425
>>64287858
Hi.
>>
beige: the band
>>
>>64288123
Girls had like two days of hype.

>>64288059
He is autistic, probably.
>>
>>64287858
>this is a waifu post
ptobe me wrong protip u canf
>>
Indie Rock as a steady genre is kind of dead these days. Indie Pop is definitely thriving though. That new Ty Segall record was pretty good though.
>>
>>64288344
>Indie pop is thriving

What nigger? Both Indie rock and Indie pop peaked in 2009 and everything has been declining steadily since
>>
>>64288211
>He is autistic
clearly. I'm saying someone should probably let him know.
>>
>>64287858
does arcade fire count?
>>
>>64288434
good to see there's still a few based oldfags on this crumbling board.

If you want to get specific it peaked August 17th, 2009 with the XX's self-titled release. It's been literally nothing but disappointment from that pinnacle. That album is a masterpiece though.
>>
>>64288454
They're past 5 years
>>
File: chance.jpg (59 KB, 760x505) Image search: [Google]
chance.jpg
59 KB, 760x505
this is the new face of indie music. rock is dead.
>>
File: 1461434140661.jpg (75 KB, 880x586) Image search: [Google]
1461434140661.jpg
75 KB, 880x586
>>64288488
Using the term oldfag makes me feel as if you're not actually a longtime mootant.
>>
>>64288893
This is the face of you white-guilt cuck

Go back to your ghetto thread
>>
>>64288940
then feel that way, I don't care. "oldfag" is about as old as this board, not that I was on this piece of shit in '07.

>>64288963
I am correct. Chance is committed to remaining independent and has produced/released multiple items in the last 7 years that actually have value. He's aware he can always get a quick paycheck by doing a quick verse on a pop track.
>>
>>64289089
Chance is set to be the biggest thing in hiphop after Drake and Kenny make their way out

He's not "indie" lol
>>
Arcade Fire
Carseat head rest
Ty Segall
Mac Demarco
I could argue all of these bands make more ambitious and enjoyable bands than parquet courts. Parquet courts make repetitive, one-sided songs, with little variation. On top of that, each song is built on simple and tired chords and riffs that just repeat and repeat and repeat. Their songs actually sound like they just picked 'rock' loop presets in Apple GarageBand. The lead singer probably thinks his delivery is like reed or Malkmus, but really he sounds like he is reading the lyrics off a sheet of paper for the first time.
After making a bland rock song, they throw in some babbys first noisy experimental in there, so pitchfork and other pretentious fucks can feel its some what innovative
>>
>>64289142
if he's not indie what label is he on you dumb fuck.

also I hate to break it to you but he's not "set" for shit. it's quite possible Acidrap is the best thing he ever releases. if you are ruled by the aspect of Chance then you have no direct way of reproducing success other than continuing to record, that is you aren't quite sure what you did or why it was so good. Acidrap is 10/10, Chance will continue to be around, but don't expect him to ever be bigger than he currently is.
>>
I really dig their latest album, didn't know about them before
>>
I love parquet courts, they are my most listened artist of the last year, but op is a faggot
>>
>>64289274
>Arcade Fire
their best album came out in 2003.
>carseat head rest
literally who
>ty seagall/mac demarco/kurt vile
literally all the same person making exactly the same music and its all just garbled shit. yes it can be pleasant to throw on one of their albums on a nice day while you're doing something else, but it's objectively mediocre, algorithmically generated music

>>64289321
if you unironically enjoyed monastic living may God have mercy on your soul. I've heard it gets played on repeat on the elevator down to hell.

>>64289389
>just finding out about them last year
stay behind, pleb
>>
>>64289528
you've never listened to Ty Segall, quit lyin
>>
>>64287858
One of the least interesting "indie rock" bands I've heard in the past 5 years.

>>64289089
>>64289314
Dude is a shit musician with no talent, fuck off. Hip-hop sucks.
>>
>>64288488
>If you want to get specific it peaked August 17th, 2009 with the XX's self-titled release.

lol

indie music died with This Is Happening, there is no other answer
>>
>>64289559
I've only listened to emotional mugger and I can confirm it's the worst of the three artists mentioned. Kurt Vile is best of those three, and he is very, very overrated.

>>64289586
if you don't like hip hop I don't know what the fuck you're listening to right now. psychedelic revival and metal are the only other genres that still have innovation.

>>64289591
This Is Happening is objectively worse than XX's s/t. We were already on the decline then. I was never an LCDSS fan so I might sound overly critical but I feel like he's responsible for a lot of this "dance and be free lel" garbage pop we've been polluted with. I'm not comparing him to all of them, but I am saying they started by mimicking him.
>>
>>64289990
Kurt Vile is the most boring of the 3
>>
>>64289990
>Kurt Vile > Ty Segall
>the XX > LCD Soundsystem
opinion discarded
>>
>>64290047
true but what can you expect from someone with bad taste
>>
>>64289990
>I've only listened to emotional mugger
listen to Twins and Slaughterhouse and Melted
Emotional mugger is a fun live show but the album is not very good compared to his other shit
>>
>>64290178
you're barking up the wrong tree, that guy is a lost cause
>>
>>64287858
Light up gold was fantastic everything else has only been okay

I'm looking forward to Car Seat Headrest's album this year, sounds promising from the singles

Diiv is meh, decent but kinda boring

Alvvays is qt/10

Viet Cong's stuff is alright I liked their ep more than the album but neither was better than what they put out as Women

Alex G is fine but the whole orchid tapes sound is played out

Ought's first album has grown on me even though there's a lot of fuckery, haven't listened to the follow up yet

Idk, the problem with indie rock atm is that there are literally zero interesting personalities and everything seems so overly self-indulgent, hard to get hyped for any releases desu
>>
>>64290047
Kurt Vile is a talented folk-style guitarist.

>>64290078
quality argument, faggot. I'm not OP he's right, indie rock is dead, hip hop has taken the indie torch, all the current music marketed as "indie rock" right now is a meme, i.e. pop music that nobody will listen to or care about in 3 years.

my opinion may differ from yours, but I've seen how some of my opinions have panned out. have you?

>>64290178
I might. I mostly play music from youtube like a pleb and their suggestions are shit so there's a fair chance I just forget and it never pops up.

>>64290223
a lost cause to what exactly? I care about music, would go so far to say I love music and its one of my passions. I have been extremely by recent releases of not only new artists but established artists. I know I'm not the only one. It's not all shit, but much of what is currently being touted as "good" is quite far from it.
>>
>>64290368
goddamn you're a pretentious no-taste-havin' fuck
>>
>>64290314
And it's hard to care about a new band when each one just feels like the next up in the conga line of "BEST NEW MUSIC" from the indie media hype machine
>>
>>64287858
>indie rock
>good
kek
>>
>>64289528
Their latest album isnt monastic living, that's an ep
>>
by indie rock band you really mean indie rock band that Pitchfork is pushing heavily, right?

Flasher
King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard
Sheer Mag
Bully
The Coneheads
Pow!
Mikal Cronin
Protomartyr
Walter
Unknown Mortal Orchestra
Wand
White Reaper
etc
>>
>>64290641
Literally none of those are good
>>
>>64290413
>no-taste
I think I have plenty.
>pretentious
welcome to /mu/, faggot. you come here to share what you actually think.

>>64290609
I did not know that. I'm on track 1 right now.
>dust is everywhere
>sweep
>punk riff
not off to a great start haha, I'll hang in there though.
>>
>>64289990
>the XX is not only good, but a masterpiece
>"psychedelic" revival has produced more than a few good albums
>metal hasn't become stale for the most part
>hip-hop as a genre has had more than a few interesting albums since it peaked in the 80s
fuck off, shit taste faggot
>>
>>64289321
>>64290609
I just listened to it. I thought it was pretty average, It's Gonna Happen was my favorite song. what did you like about it? I wasn't paying super close attention to it while it was playing and it didn't catch my attention very often. I get the concept of the album and I think its a really good and relevant concept but the execution was really poor. I think a lot of that stemmed from each individual song just not being that good. Whatever the lead vocalists name is obviously isn't a great singer, but he makes it worse by not being clear in his delivery very often, its hard to figure out what supposed deep thoughts they're jamming about when you just hear riffs and shouting.

Do they just have their heads nine feet up their own asses trying to over convey all their messages? MUSIC FIRST PARQUET COURTS!
>>
>>64291397
goddamn everything you say is so stupid
you realize that having an opinion and sharing it /= pretentious, right?

and "Dust" is amazing

it's like you're trying to be wrong on every opinion you have

also you think opinions are something that can "pan out"
>>
File: main.jpg (353 KB, 1500x1072) Image search: [Google]
main.jpg
353 KB, 1500x1072
?
>>
>>64290903
oh wow you sure showed me
now i see the way, i don't like any of those bands anymore
>>
>>64292644
>dust is amazing
kek. it's a fucking meme jam. how the fuck can you call me pretentious and call this shit "amazing."

pre·ten·tious
prəˈten(t)SHəs/
adjective
adjective: pretentious

attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed.
"a pretentious literary device"
synonyms: affected, ostentatious, showy;

perhaps like trying to apply greater importance to dust? you have provided no evidence for any claim that you've made, if you'd like to argue with me please construct an actual fucking argument.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.