[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Preoccupations or Viet Cong, which is the better name?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 119
Thread images: 7
File: vietcong_albumreview_splash650.jpg (176 KB, 650x400) Image search: [Google]
vietcong_albumreview_splash650.jpg
176 KB, 650x400
Preoccupations or Viet Cong, which is the better name?
>>
Women
>>
Viet Cong actually stood out as a name
>>
the name doesn't really matter
>>
>>64283351
It does though.

It shows that they're weak-willed numale pussykin.
>>
>>64283370
what does that have to do with music?
shouldn't you be signing up to be a marine or something?
>>
>>64283326
Viet Cong

Preoccupations sounds like a Nickelodeon pop boy band TV show name
>>
I like Viet Cong better, Preoccupations sounds too slick and polished, sounds like the name of a forgettable mid 2000s post-punk revival act

inb4 viet cong are also a forgettable post-punk revival act
>>
Now I have them before Primal Scream and Protomartyr on Spotify
>>
>>64283407
And Montie sounds like the name of a fucking faggot
>>
>>64283395
It reflects the emotional character from which their music is written.

I'm not trying to waste my time listening to more indie sadboy wank.
>>
>>64283478
their music is going to sound different now?
>>
>>64283516
How would I know?

I don't waste time listening to indie sadboy wank.
>>
>>64283370
>>64283351
I don't know what's sadder, the fact that they were pushed into career suicide or that they let themselves get pushed into it.
They could have been the band that laughed about how they almost had to change their name in a few years but instead they're the post-punk band who caved and will be laughed at in a few years.
>>
>>64283326
More like Cuck Cong
>>
Honestly pretty surprised out of all the ""offensive"" band names Viet Cong was singled out, I can understand why a band name like Brian Jonestown Massacre may piss some people off for example, but Viet Cong is such a tame band name
>>
>>64283326
preoccupations is a terrible name holy shit
>>
>>64283326
>Preoccupations
Really? This is what they came up with? Really fucking unremarkable name.
>>
I don't even know why Viet Cong is "offensive". They were unironically the good guys of that war anyway
>>
god damn why is the music world full of such cucks just let them keep their name damn it
>>
>>64283370
>>64283478
i bet you have a tumblr that you use to complain about white people being oppressed and say cuck on a daily basis
kys btw, sjw
>>
Viet Cong by far
>>
viet cong obviously
preoccupations sounds like a flaccid indie band
>>
>>64283902
The reason why it was changed was because Grimes shared an article on Facebook on why someone thought the name Viet Cong was offensive, basically summoning her entire fanbase on them and making it a big thing. I don't really know why she thought that was necessary.
>>
>mfw andrew jackson jihad change their name
>mfw viet cong change their name

l o l imagine letting offended internet teens choose what you call yourself
>>
Who cares, they're shitty indie rock for manginas anyway
>>
File: kanyelaugh.png (8 KB, 80x78) Image search: [Google]
kanyelaugh.png
8 KB, 80x78
>>64283998
forgot face
>>
>>64283953
>I bet you have a tumblr
>say cuck on a daily basis
Based retard.

Pick one and only one.
>>
>>64283998
>AJJ changed name

Holy fuck no

Source?
>>
>>64283745
This
>>
>>64284050
>AJJ (formerly Andrew Jackson Jihad) is an American folk punk band from Phoenix, Arizona, formed in 2004. The band has been noted for their lyricism, which often covers themes of social anxiety, poverty, humanity, religion, existentialism, and politics.[2]
>>
>>64283745
>>64283947
>>64283998
some people, believe it or not, take responsibility for their behavior and change it if they feel its necessary. which makes sense, because an adult has no place in acting like an edgy internet teen, unless they want to look autistic i guess

why the fuck is this generation so focused on appearing as edgy and apathetic as possible? its embarrassing
>>
>>64284011
Shit taste m8
And they sound like faggots but if they kept it it could be a career suicide a la Whirr.
>>
>>64284045
uh, there are tons of tumblinas like you who use buzzwords all day long ("cuck" "racist" "im triggered" "youre oppressing me"). it isnt limited to left wing tumblrinas, there are right wing tumblrinas too.
>>
>>64283998
>offended internet teens
why is this the most common image of like social justice oriented people
viatnemese and islamic people of all ages i assume would have a problem with a bunch of white dudes using super sensitive parts of their culture in their band names
like, viet cong wasnt allowed to play a show because the club owner, an older viet guy, wasn't keen on their name
>>
>>64284086
Hey faggot, guess what? Some people, believe it or not, don't really think the name of something holds weight or matters or has any harm, whatsoever because it's they are just words. It's when bleeding heart SJWs like yourself give the words power by getting "offended".
>>
>>64284086
Do you at least agree that the reason why they were forced to changed was a bit uncalled for?
>>
Why do you care about this Numale-core band?
>>
>>64284088
Wait what happened to Whirr?
>>
>>64283326
they should've changed their name to The United States Marines
>>
>>64284109
>right wing tumblrinas
>believing in the right/left false dichotomy
>not realizing the inherently authoritarian tendencies of the supposed left
Based retard.
>>
>>64284153
transphobic comments about a shitty punk band
>>
>>64284153
http://noisey.vice.com/blog/whirr-got-dropped-by-their-record-label-for-transphobic-tweets
>>
>>64284132
>Hey faggot
>It's when bleeding heart SJWs like yourself give the words power by getting "offended"

for someone so against people being offended, you sure seem pretty upset right now.

>>64284137
i dont think its offensive myself, but if someone wants to change their bands name because they think its the right thing to do i have no problem with it.
>>
>>64284086
>pretending vietcong thought their name was PROBLEMATIC!!!! in any way before legions of angry kids decided to attack them for it

you know for a fact they would never have changed their name without being hounded over it for weeks

>>64284119
because like social justice oriented people are all internet teens
>>
They could have called themselves Preoccupied Europe or Preoccupied Territory instead but they chose Preoccupations.

>>64284086
I could understand this if your band is called 9/11 or something but Viet Cong isn't offensive to anyone except people who go out of their way to be offended by things.

Being friends with those people must be difficult...
>>
>>64284159
are you 17 years old
>>
>>64284229
the war on drugs must change their name

my grandfather died in a war
my sister is a drug addict

i'm offended not one but twice and i demand that i be heard
>>
>>64284231
Are you a based retard? This is an 18+ board.
>>
>>64284190
Golly gee I'm sure glad 4chan is my only means of social networking.
>>
File: Picture-5.png (622 KB, 698x524) Image search: [Google]
Picture-5.png
622 KB, 698x524
>White Men At It Again
What did he mean by this?
>>
Viet Cong was a neat name but I'm not american so maybe I don't get how it's particularly offensive
>>
>>64284119
>i assume
Therein lies the problem. How do you know for sure that these people you're trying to "protect" (as if they're your pets, or something) are offended by it? Not just one or two vocal individuals from said groups, by the way.

Funny how the White Man's Burden has changed over the years.
>>
Viet Cong is a more interesting name. Preoccupations sounds like something they thought of last minute. If you think that the name was offending anyone, you're an idiot. The only people I could see being offended by something like this are Vietnam veterans, not college kids or fucking SJWs.
>>
>>64284312
I ask this question not in a confrontational SJW way but just purely for the sake of asking it. If there was a band that was not American and their name was Twin Tower Bombers, would you be offended?
>>
Pre Viet

smoosh the ideas together
it sounds like a medical condition
>>
>>64284355
Not really just a little embarrassed for the probably intentionally edginess
>>
>>64284360
As one word, Previet. It sounds French.
>>
>>64284261
Remember when Mark Kozelek released War on Drugs Suck My Cock?
That's like the perfect example of how to tell a bunch of people that you won't listen to their ridiculous demands. Once you tell them you don't care they stop trying to preach to you.

>>64284294
To be fair to Viet Cong, it must be fucking difficult as a working band to have this happen at all of your shows.
Like at the point people are picketing your fucking show you're probably thinking, "this isn't worth it".
I still think they should have stuck to their guns but it couldn't of been easy for them.
>>
>>64284352
>The only people I could see being offended by something like this are Vietnam veterans

thats who was offended by it though. one of the first links that shows up mentions a guy finding it offensive because he had family killed by the viet cong army
>>
>>64284294
>people yet again confusing americans with Canadians
>>
>>64284405
that's not a vietnam veteran

if my dad got hit by a car i'm not going to try and get the cars (the band) to change their name

more people have been killed by cars than the viet cong also
>>
One time when I was a toddler a Swan pecked a scab off my arm so I want Michael Gira to apologize for being unnecessarily p r o b l e m a t i c
>>
>>64284498
My dick constantly hurts because of death gripping for years so I want Death Grips to apologize for being unnecessarily p r o b l e m a t i c
>>
>>64284352
>Preoccupations sounds like something they thought of last minute
Because they kinda did have to think of it in the last minute
>>
File: max.jpg (89 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
max.jpg
89 KB, 1280x720
>>64284294
>>
>>64284516
i'm afraid of p_ndas so i want p_nda bear to apologize
>>
File: fhfxghdgh.jpg (17 KB, 422x317) Image search: [Google]
fhfxghdgh.jpg
17 KB, 422x317
>viet cong have to change their name
>four tet can keep his name even though its four times more offensive
>>
Viet Cong is a much better name. It's a name that has power, and evokes a feeling. Preoccupations is tepid and weak.

I still don't get it, how is Viet Cong offensive? Because it was a military group that happened to be Asian? I'm politically left wing, but this shit is fucking retarded. If SJW retards (like Grimes) keep getting their way, the progressive movement is going to alienate 80% of its base.
It used to be libertarians would say "we're for social freedoms like liberals, and economic freedoms like conservatives!" They can't say that anymore. Now I have to specify that I'm socially a classical liberal or libertarian, or some shit like that, and I'm for economic programs like a social democrat or new dealer or some shit. And the stupid fucking thing about this is, my wordy position is a mainstream one.
>>
>>64284621
I was raped by a California so I want the Butthole Surfers to apologize
>>
They should have named themselves "Canadian Cuckolds" because that's what they are.

Preoccupations is such a generic name, they will fade away so fast.
>>
>>64284679
My great grand uncle was accidentally buried alive, I want Burial to change his name and apologize.
>>
>>64284693
One time i was really hungry and went to eat some cereal during my stay at a hotel, but they ran out of milk, therefore i find the name Neutral Milk Hotel very P R O B L E M A T I C
>>
i am regularly preoccupied and find the new name problematic

>>64284676
grimes is not as bad as these people
>>
>>64284229
Preoccupied Europe sounds cool, much better than Preoccupations
>>
RIP band their new name sounds like a shitty indie rock band that nobody cares about. We live in a generation filled with pussies
>>
My girlfriend got stabbed on February 14, i find the name My Bloody Valentine very problematic
>>
>ITT: South Vietnamese who fled communists are SJWs
>>
My father was killed in a stampede, I find the name Animal Collective to be very
P R O B L E M A T I C
>>
>>64284615
dude they said they were going to change the name seven months ago.
>>
>>64284864
the complaints from actual vietnamese didn't make them change the name, Grimes and her white teenager fanbase did. they're pussies
>>
yeah i don't get how someone can let themselves be so defined by their "nationality" or "heritage" that they actually care about this kind of stuff
>>
>>64284404
>Remember when Mark Kozelek released War on Drugs Suck My Cock?
holy shit that was good, and indeed a good argument in this discussion here
>>
>>64284352
>>64284615
to be honest, they had several months to think about it. while they openly said that the name Viet Cong just came up on the spot and they didn't really think about it in anyway, just thought >hey yeah that's kinda cool and it sticked
>>
>>64284961
All of that is just petty arrogant human buzzwords. Where you come from doesn't matter.
>>
>>64284944
I haven't even heard from any Vietnamese people about this issue. Do they even care?
>>
>>64285025
Lesson of the story: Don't put any thought into it if you want to come up with a cool band name
>>
File: images.jpg (5 KB, 256x197) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
5 KB, 256x197
>mfw next week they change their name again to "the pol pots"
>>
>>64285110
Gooksquasher would be better
>>
>>64285132
too obvious
>>
>>64285063

>>64284294
>>
>>64285109
yeah that kinda sums it up
>>
>>64285144
Take out the k, "Goosquasher"
>>
>>64284294
do those people even know why they are offended?
>>
>>64284294
>Respect our history
Respect what about it? The fact that you guys had a military grout called the Viet Cong? It's literally only their name
>>
>>64284294
People were actually protesting outside their shows? Holy shit what a world we live in
>>
To be fair, after their situation i would try my best to make up the blandest, most inoffensive name too
>>
Viet Cong

Ignoring all the social/political aspects of the name, it's sonically more interesting than preoccupations.
>>
>be me, 28 year old white guy
>wake up and make breakfast
>see a shocking story on the news
>"a man was arrested at 10:00 PM today for murdering 3 women and hiding their bodies in his crawlspace
>tfw feminazi police force have taken down another white comrade
>get in car, head to work
>see a black dude holding hands with a white girl
>tfw evil negros are stealing MY women
>pull into office, park car
>step on some gum
>it gets stuck to my shoe
>tfw white genocide squad is terrorizing me
>get into office
>sit at desk, leg of desk wobbles a bit
>tfw jewish desk industry isnt building good, american desks anymore
>boss calls me into his office
>says im fired for leaving another cum soaked fedora in the breakroom
>4th time this week
>tfw feminist numale faggot is trying to oppress me
>post about nigger music on /mu/ later that day
>
>>
>>64285301
yup
>>
>>64285252
Why do you think those people fled to America, anon?
>>
>>64285340
you sound butthurt
>>
>>64284864
>50 year old people listen to indie
>>
>>64283326
Viet Cong was a good name and even though it was a travesty that they had to change it I think they picked a decent replacement, which is never an easy task.
>>
>>64284294
>So Long Viet Cong
Who is So Long? Were they a Viet Cong leader or something?
>>
>>64284050
they apologized for using jihad in their name because they aren't islam
then they apologized for andrew jackson because they think he's a bad man and that their name glorified the terrible things he did

literally the fucking lamest shit ive ever heard
>>
File: dog.jpg (37 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
dog.jpg
37 KB, 640x480
>sjw's attacking Viet Cong while listening to Joy Divsion

you know it's happened
>>
>>64287437
I've said the same about radiohead/emo
>>
>>64283326
both are fine names but as a matter of principle, they should've stuck to Viet Cong.

them changing it tells me they were either too stupid to see how a name like that could get negative attention that they were clearly so sensitive to or they're just a punch of pussies incapable of standing their ground over even the most trivial of artistic detail.

either way it's a shame. they're decent musicians.
>>
>>64283340
This
>>
Hot Sloppy Joe Boys or teen suicide, which is the better name?
>>
>>64287608
what's wrong with radiohead (the name)?
>>
>White Men At It Again
>written in a language made by whites
>in a country founded by whites
>with a hair color he's appropriating from whites

Man, white people are the worst
>>
Viet Cong > Women >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Preshit
>>
bands Ilke anal cunt dont give a fuck what ppl think about their band name, this is what viet cong shouldve done.
>>
>>64287811
i think he means people that make fun of emo for being too whiny while listening to radiohead
>>
>>64287733
this
>>
Occupation or preoccupied both would've sounded better than preoccupations.
>>
>>64283344
this

/pol/ edgekids aside the situation was dumb and the new name sounds like some lame "indie punk" band from philly in the late 00s
Thread replies: 119
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.