[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do you guys hate Run The Jewels? Went into this with really
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 5
File: rtj.jpg (360 KB, 2400x2400) Image search: [Google]
rtj.jpg
360 KB, 2400x2400
Why do you guys hate Run The Jewels? Went into this with really low expectations but it's actually pretty great.
>>
I don't. I think it's great. I've been an EL-P fan for 10 years, and I think Killer Mike's voice is Hip-Hop personified
>>
>>64275693
4chan doesn't like black people and even though el-p is white, 4chan doesn't care because he's collaborating with people that aren't white.

It's good though. Really good. Just ignore /mu/ when it comes to rap or anything ethnic. They're too edgy to admit when its good.
>>
FEEL
>>
>>64275693
because normies also love them so
>le patrician taste, I canĀ“t listen to fun music xD
>>
>we da best rappers
>lets kill da police who cares if dey sometimes good
>wow we really are da best
>wow i get my dick sucked so hard
>man i be sellin dem drugs (not really)
>ay bitch we be that shit
>you rappers doodoo

>hey guys vote for comrade sanders
>>
It's just /pol/ people that actually care about lyrics. RTJ is great and RTJ 2 is better so go check it out
>>
Everytime I try to discuss RTJ I just get called a cuck. It's really annoying trying to discuss music with underages sometimes.
>>
>>64275693
I don't really know what people expect with the lyrics. Do they honestly expect any serious rapper to have conservative viewpoints? Any black rappers that aren't going to rap about fucking up the police? Of course not. It's just complaining about nothing.
>>
>>64275693
people shit on it because Mike likes Bernie Sanders and rtj is popular on reddit
>>
File: 1458424367099.png (76 KB, 461x315) Image search: [Google]
1458424367099.png
76 KB, 461x315
>>64275753
>>
>>64276195
I love watching /pol/ self destruct when Bernie makes any advancements.
>>
They're pretty good. As others ITT have pointed out, it's just a /pol/ meme to hate on them.
>>
>>64276240
tru
I really hope he gets the nomination over Shillary
>>
this thread is comfy as hell. I wish everyone on /mu/ was like this
>>
>>64276240
why? if Bernie wins, Trump actually has a shot
>>
>>64275753
Basically this. Anytime hip hop is mentioned there are so many pointless defeaner comments about dadrock being better than rap it's pathetic. Mu has shit taste in hip hop. I'm not a huge fan of RTJ, they're whatever.
>>
>>64276322
I agree, I'm surprised a thread about a hip-hop album let alone RTJ hasn't brought all of /pol/ here.
>>
>>64275753
>>64276431
WAH WAH!!!!!!
>>
>>64275794
This
>>
>>64276447
top kek
>>
EL-P is good Killer Mike is Cringe
>>
>>64275794
Being against police brutality is nowhere near the same as "let's kill all the police" lol
>>
>>64275753
yeah it's pretty much the opposite of that. rtj is the go-to for white redditors who started listening to hip hop within the last two years

>>64275693
they're ok. fun album, really good production from el-p if way less interesting than his solo work. rtj2 is even better production wise.

killer mike's delivery is always forced and offputting. it's really weird how people have decided he's some kind of underground king now. there's a reason people forgot about him for a decade. if you do it wrong that southern in your face style comes off as pure cringe which is exactly what i get from listening to him.

i'm not a trump supporter or an american for that matter so fuck off with the /pol/ shit
>>
File: 1459553449913.jpg (8 KB, 318x318) Image search: [Google]
1459553449913.jpg
8 KB, 318x318
>>64275753
>People don't like it
>It must be because he's black
Wew
>>
>>64276536
idk, R.A.P. Music was a lot better than Cancer 4 Cure imo
>>
el-p's solo work is much better imo
>>
The lyrics are completely fucking retarded, Killer Mike is cringey as hell (Y U NO KILL THE PO-LEESE MOTHAFUCKAS?????) and he sounds like he's choking on a goldfish, I like El-P though

it sounds good but has retarded lyrics, also Mike is obnoxious with politics
>>
They're just okay in my opinion. RTJ 1 and 2 are fun but aren't the most amazing things i've ever heard, though i understand how other people would love it. Honestly i think the best thing to come from Killer Mike and El-P is R.A.P music actually
>>
>>64275693
RTJ is really fucking fun and creative.
>>
>>64276543

Adding lol to your post lets me know youre from Reddit
>>
>>64276615
Tumblr. actually
>>
>>64276593
I like someone calling someone else obnoxious after this post.
>>
I liked them a lot about a year ago. I grew tired of their style personally. I don't hate them and will occasionally listen to them but I wouldn't say I love them.
>>
>>64275693
i love tf outta RTJ
>>
>>64275753
>what is death grips
>what is kanye
>what is flying lotus
>>
>>64276564
that's pretty par for the course here on boards.4chan.org/mu/
>>
contrarianism because they've gotten more famous over the past year. me personally I've liked el-p's solo work for a long time, but RTJ is just ok to me. The production is over the top and the rapping is very skill obsessed. The humor can be entertaining at times, but not always. it's no fantastic damage or cold vein. never been into killer mike but i'm a very big fan of outkast and really more southern rap than anything.
>>
Because strong political opinions are cringy. It's better to have no opinion about anything and just talk mean meaningless shit like 99% of other rappers. Thats the way forward
>>
>>64275693
I don't hate them at all, but their idol status can be exhausting when there's a surplus of great hip hop coming out right now

Both members have better work.
>>
>>64277534
>Death Grips
>2/3 white
>>
>>64277670
RTJ is 1/2 white
>>
>>64277705
Yeah, that's fair. It's probably the left leaning politics more so than the fact that one of the guys is black. Although mu does have more than it's fair share of "can't spell crap without rap!" posters.
>>
More like Reddit the Jewels
>>
>>64277728
no it doesnt. nobody here hates hip hop carte blanche

you're a poptimist retard looking for boogeymen to justify your lack of taste

go back to rym faggot
>>
>>64277795
...I don't even like RTJ lol. There are multiple threads here everyday about how hip hop is "nigger noise". It's not everyone because there's still some good shit being discussed, but it feels like more than a few anons.
>>
run the jewels is easily one of the best hip-hop acts of the century so far. the problem is their fanbase, which consists of p4k drones, hipsters/backpackers, and underage fucks who love memes
>>
>>64277835
no there aren't
the only nigger noise is your posting
>>
RTJ2 is something I can listen to for a good while
>>
because it's straight up embarrassing compared to their solo works
>>
>>64276363
nigga literally every poll shows that Bernie fares much better than Hillary against every GOP candidate
>>
Overrated cringe bars. The more you listen, the less you'll like it, trust me.
>>
>>64276536
Literally opposite IMO. Mike's got the better voice, lyrics and delivery. A whole step above I'd say.
>>
>>64277857
First day on /mu/ I'm guessing
>>
File: 1458257933886.jpg (78 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1458257933886.jpg
78 KB, 500x500
>>64275693
If you like them check out Ronnie Scholarship on datpiff or SC
https://m.soundcloud.com/ronniescholarship/glow-prod-by-ferdose

Pretty diverse and deep lyrics
>>
>>64276524
retard
>>
>>64275774
Normies like kanye west and nikki minaj not run the jewls.
>>
>>64276431
Most dad rock musicians have a diverse taste in music though and don't hate hip hop.

I wish dad rock fans would realise rock musicians don't hate rap.

Axl Rose used to wear an nwa hat.
(look it up)
>>
Tough guy new yoaka rap with slightly wacky beats that are sometimes cool but never quite as cutting edge as p4k/fantano drones make them out to be. Mike and El are both talented, but just cease to really amaze me. They just cater to the right crowd and prove that image is everything in music, just like qotsa is buttrock for hipsters.
>>
Because they have made much better solo albums
>>
>>64281591
>qotsa is buttrock for hipsters

wow, you just completely summed up my feelings on them. I feel like Josh is both a good singer and accomplished guitar player, even as a songwriter, but he's really hit or miss, and his albums tend to have 4-5 song slumps of boring shit
>>
>>64275794
I read that all in killer Mike's voice.
>>
>>64280522
metal and rap fans got on well in the 80s

rap used to be pretty lyrically escapist, before all that thugged out shit got popular
>>
/mu/ couldn't stop falling over themselves to praise this shit a year ago fyi
>>
it got too popular
when things get too popular on 4chan, everyone turns on it
>>
>>64275794
You do realize they're mocking hardcore hip hop while also being competent within the genre right? It's satirical and self aware.

I'm not saying this makes it better but it's something to note.
>>
People loved them here back in 2013. It's just going through the typical cycle every album does around here.
>>
>>64282503
HAHA IS SATIRE THATS WHY ITS OKAY TO BE SHITTY
can't wait for this ironic era to end
we need new sincerity now more than ever.

kys h3h3/mde fanboy
>>
>>64282503
>they're mocking hardcore hip hop
how so?
give examples
>>
i remember this board liking this album. i wasn't too fond of it though.
>>
File: image.jpg (102 KB, 832x806) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
102 KB, 832x806
>>64276240
>liking the communist
absolutely disgusting
get out of my country
>>
>>64282535
>we need new sincerity now more than ever.

I agree. A lot of genres have a sincere artist but rap doesn't really right now. I'm hoping Chance The Rapper's LP3 is good. I've hated his previous work but he definitely is sincere.
>>
>>64275794

That was me in BK on Atlantic
Never looked both ways, ran in traffic
Pops went away but I stayed, vagrant
Placed where the steel and cement became nature
Love what you did with the place, it looks gorgeous
Cityscape where the blood of good men courses
And the dreamers are bull trapped in porcelain
Take a knee to the gods and get horse shit
Wanna live for the thrill? They'll arrange it
Got a bevy of imps to spit hatred
Shit'll get in your head and cause panic
Have you desperately begging to get famous
Get your dignity dirty and left orphaned
Sanity on the fringe of distorted
Who are they to just take shit and hoard it?
Who am I that I don't get my portion?
The most impressionable minds get molested and informed by manipulating forces
Don't fret little man, don't cry, they can never take the energy inside you were born with
Knowing that, understand you could never be poor
You already won the war, you were born rich
You can only take the energy you had
Going back to the realm or the home where your lord is
Whoever whatever that lord is couldn't
Give a fuck if you ever made fortunes
Fuck anyone ever trying to run that bum shit
Send 'em to the flames where the orcs live
Them and the lost minds thinking they're smarter than us
Don't understand love's importance
And we can weaponize that, bring 'em back to the truth
Where the ashes and dust got formed in

>yeah man their lyrics are terrible
>>
>>64275693
What? /mu/ loves Run the Jewels.
>>
>>64275693
It is too accessible and a fun album. Plus it is considered meme rap, so mu disregards it.
>>
El's best work is I'll Sleep When You're Dead and thinking otherwise makes you a filthy fucking plen
>>
>>64282909
Pretty sure it is Cancer 4 Cure desu.
>>
>>64280511
holy fuck, when will you fucking redd:^)ors see that normies hate Kanye
>>
>>64276363
trump is a multi-billionaire entrepreneur and celeb who's been around politics for decades, he probably has enough shit on the clinton administration to dish out, it'll make her head spin into the ground farther than her numbers come the general election. trump would have even more of a chance against hillary than bernie.
>>
>>64282922
Not as funny, not as focussed, less hectic production

fuck off

Love the album tho
>>
>>64276543
>When you niggas gon' unite and kill the police, mothafuckas?

and

>And even if some good ones die, fuck it, the Lord'll sort 'em

both lyrics found in Close Your Eyes, and are pretty on the nose in terms of killing police
>>
>>64276635
Born under punches?
>>
>>64277795
>>64277857

Welcome to /mu/
Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.